Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish High Level

• 23-04-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Ok i actually have good irish but i havn't a clue about the poems or a thig no thitim?

Is there any books on english translation or good notes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

what's wrong with your teacher's notes??

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Yedya

We dont have any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Yedya wrote: »
    Ok i actually have good irish but i havn't a clue about the poems or a thig no thitim?

Is there any books on english translation or good notes?

Try Fiúintas 2. That's what I have and the notes in it are really good for the poems and short stories. :)
    You'll probably be able to get it second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Diograis Nua has some notes after each poem, it's an old book but might be worth a look. There's no translations but it has some nice sentences for each poem and a simplified version of the poem as Gaeilge which is useful for the "explain these lines" questions in my opinion.

See if your teacher has old copies of Dréimire, those notes are good enough. And Foinse runs stuff too, your teacher might have some of that :) Not much help apart from that that I know of, good luck with it... I feel your pain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 7seth7

i hate to break it to you but learning irish is a waste of time.
    you will probably never ever use it unless you become an irish teacher.
    Outside of ireland no one cares about it, they will never enquire into your proficency in it and the way this country is going you will be working abroad.

Learn spanish, millions use it, rather more useful than irish.

best of luck in the leaving cert and the rest of your life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

7seth7 wrote: »
    i hate to break it to you but learning irish is a waste of time.
    you will probably never ever use it unless you become an irish teacher.
    Outside of ireland no one cares about it, they will never enquire into your proficency in it and the way this country is going you will be working abroad.

Learn spanish, millions use it, rather more useful than irish.

best of luck in the leaving cert and the rest of your life

very helpful....have you forgotten that you need Irish to get into the NUIs? I did Irish. I used it after my leaving as I was with a gaelgoir. Now I'm not and I dont use it...but that doesn't make me think that it shouldn't be taught and I miss it. So what if you wont use it all over the world, it's our language. Why not learn Irish AND spanish or french? Not impossible.

Best of luck OP with your exam..the previous suggestions sound good. We had good notes from our teacher so I cant really recommend a book for you...maybe the internet might be able to help though. I just hate when posters put up a post that really doesn't help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Our teacher emails her notes sometimes to friends and cousins of ours etc, OP PM me and I'll pass on her details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cailinrua2011

hi guys my lil bro is doin his leaving and is pretty good at irish but is freakin out about the essay or at least certain essays. think he is ok for anything on the recession or related to that but was wondering if anybody has an essay on WHATS IN STORE FOR THE YOUTH or something on CLIMATE CHANGE AND NATURAL DISASTERS. i could swap his essays with anyone who wouldnt mind posting or pm 'en me anything on these for him. or if there is anything else people need just post it or pm me and il see what he has.

Advertisement