Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water quality in Gort

Options
  • 23-04-2011 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Is it safe to drink? I often visit Gort and the water quality concerns me. I was reading this report and wonder have they a major problem?

http://www.epa.ie/licences/lic_eDMS/090151b2801833ce.pdf
    Having reviewed the most up to date information available for the quality of treated waste water from
    the Gort Waste Water Treatment Plant presented in the EF’A document Urban Waste Water
    Discharges in Ireland: A report for the years 2004 and 2005, the following was found:
    The report highlights failures in the Waste Water Treatment Plant to meet effluent quality standards.
    The treatment plant at Gort had 8 incidents during 2005 where ‘quality standards for BOD were not
    met. In 2004 there were 9 occasions on which the quality standards for BOD were exceeded. The
    quality standards for COD and TSS during 2004 were exceeded on 2 and 1 occasions respectively.
    The population equivalent for the Gort WWTP is stated as being 4,836 in the Urban Waste Water
    Discharges in Ireland: A report for the years 2004 and 2005.

Galway County Council

considers that inadequate screening mechanisms and subsequent high volumes of blood being
    discharged from Duffy's plant are causing problems for the municipal plant.

Advertisement