Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the any buses between Newport and Galway?

Options
  • 23-04-2011 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Hoping to get up to Newport from Galway in a few weeks to cycle the Great Western Greenway.

Anyone know any bus service between Galway and Newport?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Bus Éireann journey planner is throwing up routes 64 and 440, change at Knock Airport. Not a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Bus Eireann would show various services to Castlebar and/or Westport.

Then check for services CAstlebar/Westport to Dooagh ( Achill ) which pass thru Westport.

The Newport/ Westport and Mulranny/Achill sections of the Greenway are, I believe, unofficially open now, so you can start near Westport.

Great project - great views.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

nuac wrote: »
    The Newport/ Westport and Mulranny/Achill sections of the Greenway are, I believe, unofficially open now, so you can start near Westport.
    Parts of it are finished to the completed standard and are open to the public. Many parts still are not, so if you plan to cycle from Westport to Achill you'll still be spending a chunk of the journey cycling along the N59. It's getting very close, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I saw the full route on here;
    http://greenway.ie/Trail-Map-01.html

They say it was to open around Easter '11. We'll not be going until mid-late May so would be great if it gets finished. I think I could get to Achill or Westport much easier than Newport.

Now just to find some bike rental company where I can pick up at one end and drop off at the other.....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If it's not finished by the end of May, it will be very close. Work is continuing on it at a decent pace. I drive from Westport to Newport fairly regularly and there's always something new done whenever I drive out. There's already enough done to make it worth setting out from Westport if you don't mind an occasional run on the main road (and maybe some bumpy unfinished off-road bits).

Clew Bay bike hire will pick you up from one end of a one-way run, I'd imagine most of the bike hire companies will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement