Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NETGEAR ProSafe GS724Tv3 undisclosed ports (disgrace)

Options
  • 23-04-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a mix between have you seen this before? and a half rant...

Bought a NETGEAR ProSafe GS724Tv3 for a server rack... First thing i did was port scan it and found some seemingly undocumented ports

This post seems to have the same issues.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netgear-forum.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D63741%26mode%3Dthreaded

Ports found
    tcp
    80 - known web interface
    60000 - (undocumented, what looks like a telnet port) - enable password unknown
    4242 - (undocumented, completely unknown)

UDP
    161 - snmp
    64515 SmartWizard Discovery

The only ones that concern me are 4242 and the enable password for 60000

I rang up support and got bounced around to 3 or 4 departments (by the way each giving me a different call reference number along the way). For the 2 issues above, they basically said they didn't know and couldn't if this was even a feature that they could enable or something hidden in deeper documentation etc.

WHAT THE ****. Seriously how can someone call themselves professional and put in random features open to the network on random ****ing ports. Not in the documentation. Not giving information when you ring up. Does that seem absolutely NUTS to anyone? I'd expect this from some ****ty low end switch/router for home.

Don't get me wrong though.... Other than that, the switch seems to be pretty well priced for full 24 port gigabit and managed.

Has anyone else ever had an issue like this?

Advertisement