Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Varadero 125 wont start (neutral on)

• 23-04-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I bought a 2002 Honda Varadero 125 about 10 months ago and used it half a dozen times. I didn't use it in the bad weather and as today is a sunny day, i took it out of the enclosed side alley and there was no power. I put the charger charger to the battery. Less than 1 minute later, it says the battery is full (strange i thought). The neutral light was on and I turned off the kill switch, but the bike wont start. The neautral light goes dim when i try starting, but there is no sound of the bike trying to start. Could this be the battery, or is it possibly something else? My plan was to clean it, ride it, pass my test on it and sell it in a couple of weeks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd say it's a dead battery, leave it on charge overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Your better off renting a 250 and passing the test on that
    Sounds like ya need a charge. Leave her in overnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The battery charger says she is full. Should I just leave it on charge anyway? Tried to push start and there was some sign of life, but she didn't turn over for more than a second or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Forget what the charger says, get yourself a multimeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

KamiKazi wrote: »

Yeah I never believe the charger. Bloody liars the lot of them

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »

OK i will do that. milti meter not a bad idea. i hope thats all the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Sounds like the battery alright.

Do the test on something 150cc or bigger or else you will be getting a Full A1 licence if you pass which is useless TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cold weather and flat battery will kill the battery in a day or two, even then a flat battery will last maybe a month or two before becoming useless. In future take out the battery, keep it inside and leave it on a trickle charger.

Do the test on something 150cc or bigger or else you will be getting a Full A1 licence if you pass which is useless TBH.

Never thought about that!! Fcuk. OK...for sale..125 varadero :~(

What would you recommend? Thinking of insurance here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

get yourself an optimate charger if you haven't already, well worth the 80 odd quid, comes with a permanent quick link for trickle charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Optimates are good chargers thats for sure, I have been looking at this one from Louis as well, 50 +10 shipping not too bad for the same kind of thing.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Optimates are good chargers thats for sure, I have been looking at this one from Louis as well, 50 +10 shipping not too bad for the same kind of thing.

i think im sold on that, but i'm worried the battery might not be recoverable and I would end up needing to buy a new one anyway. Might be best to get a new battery and later buy one of these chargers to maintain the battery in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

goz83 wrote: »
    i think im sold on that, but i'm worried the battery might not be recoverable and I would end up needing to buy a new one anyway. Might be best to get a new battery and later buy one of these chargers to maintain the battery in future.
    Thats a good plan, Bike batteries are only ever just big enough to do the job, if you get one of those chargers it should help extend the battery life.
    I would advise getting the charger as soon as you can, it makes a big difference to the life of a battery if its stored and kept charged.
    Batteries are expensive enough!
    I had to get one for my bike recently and opted for an Odyssey, expensive but very grunty compared to the old one.

Put new battery in. All is good now :)

I think its time to sell it now.

Advertisement