Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attemped Suicide Help

Options
  • 23-04-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Originally Posted by sam34
    a family member can make an application to have him assessed by a gp

the gp then sees him, and if he feels he needs psych assessment, he makes a recommendation

then, once he is brought to a psych unit, he wll be seen by a consultant psychiatrist within 24 hours, and if he fits the criteria for detention, then he will be kept. if he doesnt meet the criteria, and doesnt want to stay voluntarily, he will have to be alloweed leave. having a GP recommendation is not a guarantee that he will be kept

Sorry to resurrecting an old thread but looking for some advice have a family member whom attempted suicide last night. Called a doctor on call (not family doctor) who wrote a fine stiff letter referring him to a mental health hospital, he was seen today by the doctor on duty in that hospital has assessed him and said he is free to leave at any time and at present he is there voluntarily. His GP has also been in contact with the hospital to express that he is a danger to himself and to ensure he is kept. The assessing Doc in the hospital more or less told his GP that he was terminating the call because he had made his assessment and he deemed the patient fit for release even though he had been found hanging less than 24 hours earlier. He had been in the same hospital less than two weeks ago again at the familys request and he was released 3 days later against the familys wishes. Am finding what Sam34 has said is exactly what is happening and unsure of were to turn now. There is an addiction issue also but no clinics private or otherwise are willing to take him unless he is willing to enter into treatment himself which he is not and also he needs to detox first. Advice would be much appreciated as we are at our wits end and coming up against brick walls as regards the legalities of the mental health system. Forgive me if i posted this twice but i raised an old thread which i later could not find anywhere.

Think i Should have posted in psychology can mod please move.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hi amber i posted a reply on the thread in PI, just reiterating the mental health law.

what i think you or someone in your family need to do is go to the hospital and talk to the psych doctor there. ask them to explain the decision and their plans for him/her etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement