Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obsessed parents

Options
  • 23-04-2011 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Am just curious... I am expecting my first and while I am so excited and am looking forward to all parenthood brings, I am worried that I will become obsessed in an unhealthy way with the child, like some of my friends.

Within my peer group, some of the mothers seem to be willing to talk about nothing else and while I understand how important it is to care for your child, do they have to be your sole interest?

My bro and I were always central to my parents lives and we knew we were loved but they had their nights out and maintained their relationship up to the point that, before Xmas, at almost 40 years married my Mam told me she is still 'mad about' my Dad. I firmly believe that while they cared for us they had perspective and put their relationship first (not all of the time of course) and kept it alive and kicking so they now have a fab relationship to look forward to as they age..

I have had debates on other threads where I disagreed with people putting their kids before their own lives (on a long term basis and not just for example if a kid is sick etc) and got the response basically saying I didnt know what i was talking about as I was not a parent.... I dont agree with the line of thinking that your child (once healthy, stable etc) comes before evrything else including your relationship with your OH...

I am not interested in continuously talking about being pg and hope I will not turn into a baby bore after he/ she arrives. On top of that I think my relationship with my OH is super important and also important to the baby's happiness that it needs to be nourished and in particular when life changes upon the arrival of the baby, and while long-winded my question is

'are you a better parent if you put your child ahead of everything else, 100% of the time?'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

As an outsider view its never healthy for anyone to shape their existence around anyone else. Its important to maintain your existing relationships with other people as well as your own personal interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Kids become your priority, and a major conversation point b/c you're constantly thinking about them. That doesn't necessarily mean your adult relationships suffer, just that there is suddenly a little person who is 100% dependent on you. You may not be 100% dependent on them, but they are on you, and that carries with it a lot of unexpected weight.

It is true that some marriages/partnerships falter after children come along, but many don't. It's all down to the individuals involved & their committment to the relationship.

Whether or not you're expecting it now, you will care about you child more than you can possibly imagine. S/he will become your life, and you will find a way to fit them into your existing relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Unfortunately there are some parents that turn into baby bores and just drone on about their child/ren the whole time and turn every conversation back to their child/ren.

Most parents will talk about their children but most will eventually move on from the constant babychild discussions. Then again it's not just parents that go on about something ie their children, it can equally be boring to hear someone constantly going on about their social life the whole time or whatever thing they're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think it depends a lot on your own attitude to it and what you "let" happen.
    Another thing that probably helps is how much support you have around you for babysitting etc.

We have a four month old baby, my husbands family live nearby so we're lucky that way (don't think I'd leave her with a young babysitter at this age). We've been out one night of almost every weekend since she's been born. Now a night out might be an hour or two grabbing a pizza but it's lovely to get out and have a bit of the old normality. We love catching up with friends too and making the effort to meet them - I think s lot of our friends assumed they wouldn't see us for months so stopped inviting us out but that's changed now. We've also had two breaks of 2/3 nights away where my parents have minded the baby, again great for morale!

I think the earlier you get used to leaving the baby for a few hours, or even a night the better because it doesn't become an ordeal then.

The only other thing that might affect all of that though is how settled the baby is. Our little one has always been very calm so it's easy for people to mind her, and she's slept 12 hours a night since she was 10 weeks old so that means we have the energy for going out!

Good luck with your new arrival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I hate to tell you this OP, but once you have that child, he/she consume your time, your thoughts, your energy and your love. You literally (particularly in those first few months) are the person who is keeping them alive, they are on your mind almost every waking moment. So don't be so quick to criticise friends who seem to talk about their children alot - wait to see what happens when your child is born. It is extremely difficult to have any interests outside of your child in that first year - with the best will in the world, sleep deprivation, nappy rash and teething will become your world. But you will embrace it and your child will become your world.

I hate when I hear or read about people talking about 'baby-bores'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with talking about our children, and yet, we get condemned for it. You may struggle with the fact that you have little else to talk about when your child is a baby - but don't condemn yourself - your child will be your life, enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Being a parent is a life changing experience and I agree that for the first year at least they do totally take over your life - there will still be time for your partner and friends but that will have to be balanced with that of your child. My husband and I went though a lot to have our son and we are hoping to have a little sister for him soon - we have done the holidays and have spent a long time together before he came into our lives though it is a huge change, you have to grab moments. The biggest thing is lack of sleep. We do not have any family support so it does make things a lot harder, ideally we would have arranged for some time without our son but that could not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Fittle wrote: »

I hate when I hear or read about people talking about 'baby-bores'. There is absolutely nothing wrong with talking about our children, and yet, we get condemned for it. You may struggle with the fact that you have little else to talk about when your child is a baby - but don't condemn yourself - your child will be your life, enjoy it!

I hate when I go out with friends for a nights - couples, singles, parents and non-parents and the parents and, to be honest, always the mothers just go on and on ad nauseum about the kids, whatever age. There is no excuse for that and it is boring, no matter how much you adore their kids.

Sillysocks- thanks as you have given me hope :)

Cathy, I hope all goes well for you. I will have lots of support so am lucky in that regard.

Diesemum- I agree with you but I find you can't politely move people on from the kids chat and you are the wOrst in the wOrld (and as you can see here deemed to be inconsiderate and not able to understand if you are not a parent) if you dare suggest in a Frank manner that it's time to change the subject...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I feel the same way as you OP.

I had my first child just over a year ago. All I will say is that you will talk about your child a lot for the first while. It is a very overwhelming change and you will feel the need to talk about it. Don't worry though, it will change. I'm just back from a weekend away with my husband and our friends and we barely talked about the little guy at all with them, it was great really.

I think a child's needs should come above their parents', but the wants should be on equal footing. I'd prefer my child to grow up with a stable parental relationship than to be always put first, so that means we put our relationship first.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I feel the same way as you OP.

I had my first child just over a year ago. All I will say is that you will talk about your child a lot for the first while. It is a very overwhelming change and you will feel the need to talk about it. Don't worry though, it will change. I'm just back from a weekend away with my husband and our friends and we barely talked about the little guy at all with them, it was great really.

I think a child's needs should come above their parents', but the wants should be on equal footing. I'd prefer my child to grow up with a stable parental relationship than to be always put first, so that means we put our relationship first.

Thanks - this makes total sense to me and this is the way I would like to be.

'are you a better parent if you put your child ahead of everything else, 100% of the time?

This is your question, and I would imagine that most people would answer it simply with "no." Obviously, as in everything in life, a balance is necessary.

But I find it unfair that you're insinuating that parents who "can't talk about anything else" are obsessed with their kids. As other posters (and I) have said, kids are the priority and everyone deals with the pressure of raising them differently. Some people like to talk about what they're going through as a way of reassuring them that they're doing a good job, and other people like to have time away from the kids as a way to unwind. Neither way is wrong, per se, but I can understand why a non-parent wouldn't want to socialize with someone who's concerned about nappy rashes, tantrums & teething. But to say someone's obsessed...that's just not fair.

If you're concerned that your relationship with your partner will suffer from the impending birth of your child, then make sure you make an effort to keep it alive. It is very possible to have a strong adult relationship while raising a child - in fact, having a child can strengthen a bond. But you have to make an effort, it's not easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I hate when I go out with friends for a nights - couples, singles, parents and non-parents and the parents and, to be honest, always the mothers just go on and on ad nauseum about the kids, whatever age. There is no excuse for that and it is boring, no matter how much you adore their kids....

I think you'll find it because sometimes,, their kids consume 90% of their time, and thus their lives revolve around that, especially when kids are small or are babies. As the kids get older parents have time for other things.

I find shift workers, will always talk about what days they are working, and what shift they are on. I've never worked shift so it seems odd to me, but I've noticed they all do it, even if they work in widely different industries.

If you go out to something that creates talk in itself, like tackling some event together, a run, cycle, a show a movie thats a way around it.

I hate when I go out with friends for a nights - couples, singles, parents and non-parents and the parents and, to be honest, always the mothers just go on and on ad nauseum about the kids, whatever age. There is no excuse for that and it is boring, no matter how much you adore their kids.

Go out with your friends just after you have had your child and come back here and tell us you didn't talk about your child!!! It's a life changing experience, you'll want to talk about the birth, how the baby is feeding/sleeping etc. You will be totally consumed by it. But as someone said, it's a balance - as the child gets a bit older, you'll strike a balance. You will also find that in certain groups of friends, you will actively talk about your child...the school gates for example. The main thing you will have in common with the parents you meet at the creche/school etc, will be your child and you will want to swop stories about your children.

I fail to see why you'd go out with your friends above anyway, if they bore you so much!

Go out with your friends just after you have had your child and come back here and tell us you didn't talk about your child!!! It's a life changing experience, you'll want to talk about the birth, how the baby is feeding/sleeping etc. You will be totally consumed by it. But as someone said, it's a balance - as the child gets a bit older, you'll strike a balance. You will also find that in certain groups of friends, you will actively talk about your child...the school gates for example. The main thing you will have in common with the parents you meet at the creche/school etc, will be your child and you will want to swop stories about your children.

I fail to see why you'd go out with your friends above anyway, if they bore you so much!

With some friends they talk about the kids and I ask about the kids but with some others - no matter what ages they are, talk about them 90% of the time and continuously bring the topic bavk to kids... Even the friends who talk about their own kids but move in from that topic have admitted they hate going out for a night with certain other mothers for the same reason. It's funny that fathers don't seem to do it.

You seem to think that I am in the wrong to think this is inappropriate when in mixed company. I assure you when baby arrives I will be talking about him or her but I will work darn hard to ensure it's not the only thing I talk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

i have one child, shes three. my friends who dont have kids dont understand how much of my life has revolved around her. not things like money, my relationship etc. or not going on nights out or anything like that, i mean my actual life. my every day activities and thoughts are purely based around her, regardless of whether i want them to or not.

getting up in the morning: when baby wants to, not you. even going asleep at night is based on how many hours til next feed.

having a shower: you'll have to make sure someone can watch baba or else bring her into bathroom with you.

drying hair: will the dryer wake her up. if it does, you wont have time to do make up or anything after.

getting dressed: what doesnt have baby sick down the front.

theres a million things i do during the day that have no relevance whatsoever to my child and yet she somehow infiltrates them.

something as simple as straightening my own hair; i cant set the ghd down even for a second on the table in case she goes near it.

is it any wonder that they talk about their kids. their life is based around them. its not obsession, its parenthood. its not like i wake up thinking 'i cant wait to make every decision today based on the hapiness, well being and safety of my child'. with so much of your life being dedicated to an amazing, energy draining little thing you cant help but have lots to say about them. i work, and i only recently graduated college but my most interesting, amazing and enjoyable experiences have been from being a mother.

when my friends are discussing make up which i never get a second to apply, or gigs that i can never afford to attend, or drinking sessions which i could never join in on because i had a baby to look after the next day
    i get bored but i still listen. my life is different to theirs and it does include a baby so thats what i discuss with them.

i get that its a bore but alot of the 'normal' stuff i used to do i cant do now because i have a child. and for people without kids they dont realise how much of a hassle simple things can end up being when you have a child to look after. for some mothers its easy to still have 'a life' but for others their baby is their life- and by that i mean that they are literally always around their child with no 'me' time- and then its really hard to relate to those who get 'me' time all day every day.

sorry that ended up being a right ol' rant but you'll never know how unbelievably dependant they are on you to 'obsess' over them until they're there impacting on every move you make or dont make. influencing every decision you make.
    they consume every aspect of your life but they also enhance it tenfold. and thats why we want to brag abut them!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I've been in college or been on work projects that consume 90% of my time for a period and the last thing I'd do is want to constantly chat about them with friends, even if I enjoyed the particular projects.
    The difference with the baby-bore parent and the regular parent is the baby-bore parent doesn't seem to understand that not everyone are as interested in their kids as they are. It's a sign of a selfish person if they assume you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

CK2010 wrote: »
    i have one child, shes three. my friends who dont have kids dont understand how much of my life has revolved around her. not things like money, my relationship etc. or not going on nights out or anything like that, i mean my actual life. my every day activities and thoughts are purely based around her, regardless of whether i want them to or not.

getting up in the morning: when baby wants to, not you. even going asleep at night is based on how many hours til next feed.

having a shower: you'll have to make sure someone can watch baba or else bring her into bathroom with you.

drying hair: will the dryer wake her up. if it does, you wont have time to do make up or anything after.

getting dressed: what doesnt have baby sick down the front.

theres a million things i do during the day that have no relevance whatsoever to my child and yet she somehow infiltrates them.

something as simple as straightening my own hair; i cant set the ghd down even for a second on the table in case she goes near it.

is it any wonder that they talk about their kids. their life is based around them. its not obsession, its parenthood. its not like i wake up thinking 'i cant wait to make every decision today based on the hapiness, well being and safety of my child'. with so much of your life being dedicated to an amazing, energy draining little thing you cant help but have lots to say about them. i work, and i only recently graduated college but my most interesting, amazing and enjoyable experiences have been from being a mother.

when my friends are discussing make up which i never get a second to apply, or gigs that i can never afford to attend, or drinking sessions which i could never join in on because i had a baby to look after the next day
    i get bored but i still listen. my life is different to theirs and it does include a baby so thats what i discuss with them.

i get that its a bore but alot of the 'normal' stuff i used to do i cant do now because i have a child. and for people without kids they dont realise how much of a hassle simple things can end up being when you have a child to look after. for some mothers its easy to still have 'a life' but for others their baby is their life- and by that i mean that they are literally always around their child with no 'me' time- and then its really hard to relate to those who get 'me' time all day every day.

sorry that ended up being a right ol' rant but you'll never know how unbelievably dependant they are on you to 'obsess' over them until they're there impacting on every move you make or dont make. influencing every decision you make.
    they consume every aspect of your life but they also enhance it tenfold. and thats why we want to brag abut them!! :)

You make parenthood sound like a living nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Downlinz wrote: »
    I've been in college or been on work projects that consume 90% of my time for a period and the last thing I'd do is want to constantly chat about them with friends, even if I enjoyed the particular projects.
    The difference with the baby-bore parent and the regular parent is the baby-bore parent doesn't seem to understand that not everyone are as interested in their kids as they are. It's a sign of a selfish person if they assume you are.

I agree 100% with this.

When I meet up with my friends who also have children we will chat a bit about our children but we will also talk about a lot of other non-child related things. It's the baby bores that cannot or will not talk about anything else that melt my head and the ones I and others tend to avoid when we can.

I know one couple and their children are in school but all they can talk about are their children, they're not even interested in anyone elses children but most people try to avoid them.

That because being a parent, is nothing like college, or project. That you think you can compare them, means you don't get it at all. I'm not being condecending, I expect thats the reality for most people. Its just not the same thing at all. Which is why so many get obssessed.

There are bores/selfish people in all walks of life, college, work, sport, parents are no different. The same people probably bored people to death in college about their projects.

A mate in work asked me once why I don't talk that much as others about my kids. I said because most of the time, unless you had a similar experience, people either are not interested, or understand the significance of what you are talking about. Also after a while you realise, you are surrounded by people who may not be able to have kids, or who have lost a child or a baby. So its not very empathtic. Indeed that might be why people might be intense about the kids they do have.

Who knows. Its best to accept that some people with kids, go a little nuts. Its wise to take that into a account.

Nope, it's called reality, and CK2010 described it very accurately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Ayla wrote: »
    Nope, it's called reality, and CK2010 described it very accurately.
    It is wonderful too, otherwise why would we willingly do it, they do little things...

We are baby centre at the moment, we have wanted this all our lives so are enjoying it.

i could have written about how my daughter tells me she loves me every day, no matter how much i nag her or give out

how proud she makes me when she says thank you without being told to

how she can sing every verse of katy perrys firework

how every time i see her smile it makes me smile no matter how down im feeling

plus a million more things she does every day that makes being a mother the most amazing thing on earth but it sure as hell doesnt take away from the fact that its bloody hard at times! i love her but thats not to say i dont find it hard that my every single thought revolves around her, but its that way because i love her.

i may have made it sound like a living nightmare but at least im confident enough to not lie and say its a walk in the park and she'll still live her life the way she did before she had kids. cause she cant and she wont. thats not to say its not worth every minute.

BostonB wrote: »
    That because being a parent, is nothing like college, or project. That you think you can compare them, means you don't get it at all. I'm not being condecending, I expect thats the reality for most people. Its just not the same thing at all. Which is why so many get obssessed.

+1

There are bores in all walks of life - those who talk incessantly about their children, showing little interest in what others around them have to say, probably talked incessantly about their previous hobbies/interests, with little interest in what others around them had to say also.

I am conscious that I talk alot about my son. I'm a single mum, I work f/t in a a job that bores the hell out of me. There is little to talk about in my job, therefore - if I even tried to tell you about my job, you would all be asleep before I finished the first sentence:p So my life, for the moment, consists of me and my son - my friends (when I can find the time to see them) and my pretty dysfunctional family who I see little of. With the best will in the world, I have few if any other hobbies or interests - my interests at the moment are u8s soccer matches, cub scouts and Man Utd!! Yes, I know I need to get my own interests at some point, and I'm confident that will happen as he gets older and becomes more independent of me (can't wait for those days!), but until then, with me as his sole carer, I have little choice but to centre my life around him - and I wouldn't have it any other way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have five children.

I love them to pieces, but I don't really feel the urge to talk about them all the time. I also have a great career, a lovely husband and some wonderful hobbies.

After my third was born, I realised that I simply didn't have enough hands to do everything every one of them wanted at once. I also realised that this was okay, and that allowed me to claim my life back, in a way. For example, if they woke up wanting breakfast while I put got dressed and put my make up on, it was okay to finish what I was doing before fetching breakfast.

I think this was the point at which I ceased to be a baby bore!

I agree with the college analogy. Perhaps it is more relevant to what I do than most, but the early years of my career in particular were just as intense and far more stressful than parenting.

Some mention putting things out of reach and having to consider the children, but if you're the type to put things away anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. Babyproofing early makes maintenance easy.

I disagree with those who say every thought centres around your children. I have other people I need to consider too, and many other things to think about!

I think this is the kernel... I know that I find all the details of other peoples kid interesting for only so long so I assume that other (outside of my OH, grandparents etc) will feel the same when mine comes along.

i also now think its a conscious decision as there are busy mothers here who dont want to talk about their kids all the time and have developed busy lives outside of the role of motherhood. This is the way I would like to be.

There is no right and no wrong, pro's and cons for both 'sides' but I know I would rather not be a baby-bore no matter how fab the child will be :)

I have five children.

I love them to pieces, but I don't really feel the urge to talk about them all the time. I also have a great career, a lovely husband and some wonderful hobbies.

After my third was born, I realised that I simply didn't have enough hands to do everything every one of them wanted at once. I also realised that this was okay, and that allowed me to claim my life back, in a way. For example, if they woke up wanting breakfast while I put got dressed and put my make up on, it was okay to finish what I was doing before fetching breakfast.

I think this was the point at which I ceased to be a baby bore!

I agree with the college analogy. Perhaps it is more relevant to what I do than most, but the early years of my career in particular were just as intense and far more stressful than parenting.

Some mention putting things out of reach and having to consider the children, but if you're the type to put things away anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. Babyproofing early makes maintenance easy.

I disagree with those who say every thought centres around your children. I have other people I need to consider too, and many other things to think about!

you see i have hobbies too but i dont think any of my friends would care about my woodturning or gym sessions either! :p

as for the putting things away, i wasnt referring to baby proofing, i meant if im straightening my hair and i need to brush it half way through, i have to be aware that i cant just lay the ghd on the table and brush, i have to put it out of reach, even if it is just for a second.

it was just an example of one of those things that you'd never even give a second thought to unless you have a child. something that has nothing to do with your child and yet you're still thinking of the child while you do it because thats what a mum does. how, even small every day meaningless things can become about your child. how your child does become something that you're always thinking of.

these things get easier as the child gets older and you can loosen the strings a little, and even more so if you've older kids to help out. but when you're a first time mum with little to no support these are huge overwhelming changes to your life. im not saying its a case of not thinking about anyone or anything else, im just saying that your kids are always in your mind and thats why so many people talk so much about them. they're a HUGE part of your life so of course you're gonna discuss them.

believe it or not, im actually not one of those baby bores (mainly cause i never get a chance to talk to adults! :p) and i dont talk non stop about my child, my world didnt stop turning when she was born either- i have an honours degree which i got after she was born, and a job, i have a partner and i have my own hobbies.

i think some people are taking what i say in a literal sense, that every single thought is about my child. its hard to explain- when you become a mum even things that are for yourself involve some thoughts for your child.

e.g.
    going out: make sure you've a sitter
    buying clothes: will i have enough left for nappies

actually after all that explaining i think this quote says it best:

"When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice,once for herself and once for her child."
    - Sophia Loren

...i also now think its a conscious decision as there are busy mothers here who dont want to talk about their kids all the time and have developed busy lives outside of the role of motherhood. This is the way I would like to be.

Great, do it.
    There is no right and no wrong, pro's and cons for both 'sides' but I know I would rather not be a baby-bore no matter how fab the child will be :)

Now, see, I could be the only one here who feels the smack of your hand, but this is unbelievably condescending. You claim you don't see "sides," and then you go right on & state you're not going to be one of those baby-bores who's obsessed with their kids...at what point is this not "sided?"

You want to maintain your life outside of mothering. That's fine. Whatever works for you & your family, fine. You dread socializing with "baby bores" and yet you continue to do so (no doubt complaining internally throughout it all).

I'm not sure exactly what you want out of this thread? :confused:

just out of interest OP, what would you like to talk with the 'baby bores' about? genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My life revolves around the kids (the kids dont revolve around me) i take them to school, pick them up, take the youngest to his therapists 2-3 times a week, take the eldest to horse riding and diabetic clinics, when we go anywhere i have to make sure i have all their medication (more important than clothes). when we go places as a family it has to offer good kids entertainment, if they are happy, we are happy . Our days out revolve around the kids zoos and parks.

I do get a bit of 'me' time here and there and my husband get 'his' time here and there and sometimes we have 'our' time, but the kids take up a good percentage of the day and i wouldnt have it any other way THATS WHAT WE HAD KIDS FOR, i didnt have my kids to be seen and not heard.....

Were happy, I have many friends that have kids and of course the topic of kids takes up a lot of the conversation, but not all of it.

I cant stand parents who always put themselves before the kids, a woman i baby sat for went drinking 4 nights a week and smoked hash on most nights she had 3 kids eldest 9 youngest 3 months. They didnt even have a cooker in house they had a 2 burner camping grill, she put herself before the kids most of the time and when she was out she never spoke about them. after 3 months of this i refused to babysit for her any longer, the money she was spending could have been used to provide better home for her kids.

• Advertisement

..if they are happy, we are happy... I do get a bit of 'me' time here and there and my husband get 'his' time here and there and sometimes we have 'our' time, but the kids take up a good percentage of the day and i wouldnt have it any other way THATS WHAT WE HAD KIDS FOR, i didnt have my kids to be seen and not heard.....

Were happy, I have many friends that have kids and of course the topic of kids takes up a lot of the conversation, but not all of it.

+1 :D

Advertisement