Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC rubbish connection, unusually high latency past number of weeks

• 23-04-2011 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭

Anyone else having these issues recently... myself and a few friends have the exact same problems here in North County Dublin... we have been onto UPC, but they continue to blame our routers, rubbish!

Connection is on/off most days...

Tracerts to some servers in the UK indicate a WAN issue at some Telia nodes... when we brought this up with them they brushed it aside and continued to blame our hardware. Wouldn't even put us on to a network technician who would actually know what we were talking about :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

If there were blaming your router, I suggest you try it without the router and plug directly into the modem(Unless you are using the combo)

They normally always say hardware if they see no line fault. They are currently upgraded the lines in my area and the connection sometimes drops but quickly goes back up.

They should hopefully be done in the next week or two.

Its possible they are doing the same in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

Yes and been having it on/off for weeks! I use their modem direct so nothing else in the middle. Several attempts required at times to get to a website, ping does not work and then does. Appears to me to be some issue with their DNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I stopped using their DNS a long time ago. Googles is the best imo.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

gr.jpg

put the google public dns here right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brad000143

Yes, you are right dude ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I don't know what "latency" means or any other technical terms, but for certain in the last month or so my BB has been annoyingly glitchy - pages not loading or taking several refreshes to load, and several times a day the connection cutting out. It usually returns after a minute or two, but it is still very annoying.

Is this what others are experiencing? I'm in D6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm in D.15 and have had this problem for years. I get them out, and it improves for a while, then without fail it always reverts back to regular resets bad lag high latency. I would say its resets at least once an hour, where it goes off for a few minutes, then comes back. I expect its something to do with the DNS, quality of the lines, and also perhaps some heavy users in my area. Its improves at night, the later the better it gets. It makes online gaming or VOIP almost impossible. The TV works, but the picture quality gets bad over time till I ring and complain, then like the BB it improves for a while.

I'd have switched away from UPC, but Eircom can't give me phone line that works for BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What sites/IP's are you sending a ping request to, and what are the latencys?

Advertisement