Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxi Zoo Own Brand foods

• 23-04-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Just wondering peoples opinions on Maxi Zoo's own brand range of dry foods.

Namely:

Select Gold (comparable to hills & royal canin according to their website)

Premiere (again according to their webbie, comparable to Eukenuba)

and finally Real Nature (the priciest of the lot)

I'm thinking of changing from Burns to something a bit more budget friendly and was wondering if these foods were any use. Can't find anything about them online or on dogfoodanalysis.com. So does anyone know the prices of these foods for a 15kg bag of adult food (nothing on their website) and what they're like?

Cheers for the info :D

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Select Gold- 55.99 for the normal one. Have used it for the pup and for the old collie we used to have and found it pretty good. The senior one really helped out the collie when she started getting stiff.
    Premiere- 39.99. Haven't used it myself but my housemate buys it for his parents dogs. Seems to be pretty good for large breeds, has crustacean and mussel extracts for the joints. Might try my fella on it when he's an adult
    Real Nature- 69.99. Pricey, but i really wouldn't go beyond it. Its expensive for a reason but well worth it. I only feed the big fella 400g a day of it (in comparison I'd be feeding 600g of Royal Canin, and 945g of Red Mills leader!!) and you can actually kick his poo around the garden its so solid. I was a bit sceptical at first, especially with the price of it, but even though i was gonna put him on Royal Canin, the manager told me to try it and said there was a money back guarantee on their foods if the dog wont eat it. He loves it though and I really wouldn't change it now. There's no chemicals/preservatives etc in it as well which I was looking for after hearing all about BHA and ethyoxin, and i was pretty annoyed to find BHA in Royal Canin.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Thanks a million Shanao, very helpful :)

I suppose as they're all decent foods,the deciding factor will be the recommended amount of food required by bodyweight so I can try figure out which one lasts longer, best value etc. I don't suppose you'd have that info handy would you? :p

And how big is your big dog :eek::eek::eek: the red mills leader is 10g/kg bodyweight so my two big uns were getting around 600g of food daily when they were on that!

So if the Real Nature is half the portion and much better, I'd be inclined to go for that as it would would work out the same pricewise (twice the price but lasts twice as long)....hmmm decisions decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

I've recently started my cat on the Real Nature food - I feed her both wet and dry.

I'm very happy with both, it's a cut above the Royal Canin I think.

Pricewise as far as I can tell a 3kg bag of dry Real Nature is about 29 euro, a 2kg bag of Royal Canin is about 20 so works out about the same really.

I'd highly recommend the wet food too - it's basically meat and water, with a very small cereal content which is important for cats.

I know your query is re the dog variety of the food but I imagine the high quality is present in both the cat and dog food !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

ive got my rottie on select gold maxi plus junior and he loves it!

adser53 wrote: »

And how big is your big dog :eek::eek::eek: the red mills leader is 10g/kg bodyweight so my two big uns were getting around 600g of food daily when they were on that!

So if the Real Nature is half the portion and much better, I'd be inclined to go for that as it would would work out the same pricewise (twice the price but lasts twice as long)....hmmm decisions decisions

My big dog is six months old and 40 bloody kilos already. And he's not even overweight!! He's going to be feckin huge. I was putting the redmills puppy against the Real Nature, and it was coming out at 945g for him and 880g for the other dog, meaning 8 days out a 15kg for 45 euro!? Whereas I'm getting nearly a month out of the Real Nature between the pair.

• Advertisement

Shanao wrote: »
    My big dog is six months old and 40 bloody kilos already. And he's not even overweight!! He's going to be feckin huge. I was putting the redmills puppy against the Real Nature, and it was coming out at 945g for him and 880g for the other dog, meaning 8 days out a 15kg for 45 euro!? Whereas I'm getting nearly a month out of the Real Nature between the pair.

Ah sure I was forgetting your on the puppy food :o yeah 900g for a 40+ kilo akita sounds about right, I was thinking of the adult food.

I was totting things up tonight and if we went back on red mills leader (not the supreme) and fed the recommended amounts- we'd use 30.4 bags of food a year @ €42.99 a bag = €1306.89. Compare that to Burns, which they eat less of so we'd only need 24.3 bags of that per year @ €44.85 a bag (from zooplus)= €1089.86. That's a saving of nearly €220 quid despite buying a more expensive food :eek:

It's mad how it all adds up!

I suppose as they're all decent foods,the deciding factor will be the recommended amount of food required by bodyweight so I can try figure out which one lasts longer, best value etc. I don't suppose you'd have that info handy would you? :p

I'm guessing the dogs are both about sixty kilos then? I think i had it worked out at about 550g for my boy when he's fully grown, but he's heading for about 70kgs. Prob be about 450g for your guys. It has its own specific measuring cup though because its concentrated (or something) so a normal measuring cup would be 200g but the same cup full of Real Nature would be 350g. So instead of having to give three cups a day, you'd be giving one and a half-ish. That's what I have it worked out to anyway.

Ah sure I was forgetting your on the puppy food :o yeah 900g for a 40+ kilo akita sounds about right, I was thinking of the adult food.

I was totting things up tonight and if we went back on red mills leader (not the supreme) and fed the recommended amounts- we'd use 30.4 bags of food a year @ €42.99 a bag = €1306.89. Compare that to Burns, which they eat less of so we'd only need 24.3 bags of that per year @ €44.85 a bag (from zooplus)= €1089.86. That's a saving of nearly €220 quid despite buying a more expensive food :eek:

It's mad how it all adds up!

Its pretty crazy alright. I'm actually hoping my guy doesn't get as big as it looks like he's going to. By the weight chart, he should be almost 80kgs fully grown!! He's pretty huge already though, his head is at the height of my hip already.
    With most dogs I would feed less than the reccommended amount unless the dog is significantly underweight. Especially with some of the spitz breeds cos it'll run through them if they overeat. The big fella was just neutered as well so I'm gonna have to keep an eye on his weight now and cut back on some of the food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

what dog do you have shanao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 forensic

lily4 wrote: »
    I've recently started my cat on the Real Nature food - I feed her both wet and dry.

I'm very happy with both, it's a cut above the Royal Canin I think.

Pricewise as far as I can tell a 3kg bag of dry Real Nature is about 29 euro, a 2kg bag of Royal Canin is about 20 so works out about the same really.

I'd highly recommend the wet food too - it's basically meat and water, with a very small cereal content which is important for cats.

I know your query is re the dog variety of the food but I imagine the high quality is present in both the cat and dog food !

OP about dogs I know, but just wanted to add a bit about the cat food.

We use the 4kg bags of Light Select Gold, its €34.99 a bag. One bag last us a month-ish with 2 cats, 2 enormous cats!

I remember going into Maxi Zoo and asking about cat food and the guy pointed out the different meat contents of each wet food. The Select Gold was one of the highest meat contents if I remember correctly.

A lot of the "brand" name stuff was terrible in comparison. I know when we gave our two cats wet food along with dry food, the wet food was the whiskas pouches and I swear they were high after eating it! Bouncing off the walls like kids hopped up on sugar and E numbers. Junk food for cats.

All they eat now is the dry food and they love it and if we inadvertently run out they won't touch anything else.

• Advertisement

Was amazed to find they're actually open today, but we toddled on in and I had a look at the premiere food. If your guys are 60kg adser, you'd be giving them about 480g of food a day each, which seems to be pretty good. I asked the fella in there about the quality in regards to Leader and he said it was a lot better especially as its large breed specific. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

+1
    Have to say have used both Select Gold and Real Nature and can vouch that they are both great dog foods.

Wow didn’t realise Akitas got that big, 60-70kg sure that’s knocking on giant sizes nearly, didn’t know that.

They are technically a giant breed, though its more the americans than the japanese that get so big. 55-60kg is about the average for an american whereas a japanese is usually between 35-45kgs. My guy's dad was 65kgs but it looks like the pup is going to outgrow him.

They are technically a giant breed, though its more the americans than the japanese that get so big. 55-60kg is about the average for an american whereas a japanese is usually between 35-45kgs. My guy's dad was 65kgs but it looks like the pup is going to outgrow him.

Ah right I was wondering that makes sense. Are both types in Ireland?

Was amazed to find they're actually open today, but we toddled on in and I had a look at the premiere food. If your guys are 60kg adser, you'd be giving them about 480g of food a day each, which seems to be pretty good. I asked the fella in there about the quality in regards to Leader and he said it was a lot better especially as its large breed specific. Hope that helps.

Thanks Shanao and you're dead right. We actually went in for a look ourselves today and after lengthy comparisons of every food, we saw the premiere one offered the best value by far. So we're going to try that and see if it's any good. At €37.99 a bag we'd be saving even more so I hope its as good as Burns.

As for the Real Nature....the sales rep and I had some harsh words about that :rolleyes::mad:

***WARNING RANT AHEAD*** :cool:

I explained that things were tight financially and that I wanted the best food I could possibly afford with a budget of around €50 per bag. I continued by saying that I would buy a more expensive food providing that it lasted longer. For example: If a €50 bag lasts me 2 weeks, and a €100 bag lasts me 4 weeks then I would have no hesitation buying the €100 bag as it works out the same financially.

So the following conversation went like this:
    He brought me to the "Real Nature" bags, slapping them proudly and exclaiming "70 odd quid a pop but it's the best food by far. What you spend now you'll save in Vet bills" (now mine have never been to the vet with any illness brought about by poor diet for starters so I call that balderdash).

I asked "So what would a 55-60kg dog need per day". After a few mins of reading the bag and using the calculator on his phone, (which I could've feckin done myself- it says feed them 1.2% of their bodyweight) this lad says "approx 640g-720g". I said "Sure thats more than what I'm feeding them now so that bag certainly won't last me any longer, I'll look at some of the other brands."

Unimpressed at my cheap-ass point of view :rolleyes: He proceeded to hold up a measuring cup and asked me how many scoops of food do my 2 Akitas get now. I replied "about two and a half scoops" and he said, chuffed with himself, "Well with this they'd only need one and a half because it's a more dense food so you're feeding them half the amount you currently are." I said "Eh...No. You're not. You're still feeding them minimum 640g of food from a 15kg bag, the same as the red mills range, and that's way more than the burns range. You're just feeding them less individual bits of kibble but the weight of the portions are the same so the bag won't last any longer."

This conversation continued for 15 mins with him assuring me the bag would last longer cos you only used one scoop :rolleyes:;);) Eventually I just had to stop the arguement because I was pissing in the wind :mad: One 600g scoop or ten 60g scoops still equals 600g no matter what way you serve it up.

Ultimately this lad gave out to us for wanting to buy cheaper foods (he proudly said he has 5 dogs and pays over €500 a month on food- madness IMO) despite the fact we explained money was tight and we were trying to do the best we could, while my heavily pregnant girlfriend stood beside me :mad: . "If you had a choice of McDonalds or a fillet steak you'd pick a fillet steak every time" he said. I replied "Well I would rather eat McDonalds 7 days a week and not go hungry than have one fillet steak and starve"

So while he may have been a canine nutritionist, he certainly wasn't a feckin financial advisor with his reasoning that weight is irrelevant when compared to the size of the measuring cup :rolleyes:

Anyway, rant over. I'll be trying the premiere food next and reverting back to burns if it doesn't go down well.
    Devi wrote: »
    Yup, they are indeed and getting more popular all the time :D

Thanks Shanao and you're dead right. We actually went in for a look ourselves today and after lengthy comparisons of every food, we saw the premiere one offered the best value by far. So we're going to try that and see if it's any good. At €37.99 a bag we'd be saving even more so I hope its as good as Burns.

As for the Real Nature....the sales rep and I had some harsh words about that :rolleyes::mad:

I explained that things were tight financially and that I wanted the best food I could possibly afford with a budget of around €50 per bag. I continued by saying that I would buy a more expensive food providing that it lasted longer. For example: If a €50 bag lasts me 2 weeks, and a €100 bag lasts me 4 weeks then I would have no hesitation buying the €100 bag as it works out the same financially.

He brought me to the "Real Nature" bags, slapping them proudly and exclaiming "70 odd quid a pop but it's the best food by far. What you spend now you'll save in Vet bills" (now mine have never been to the vet with any illness brought about by poor diet for starters so I call that balderdash).

I asked "So what would a 55-60kg dog need per day". After a few mins of reading the bag and using the calculator on his phone, (which I could've feckin done myself- it says feed them 1.2% of their bodyweight) this lad says "approx 640g-720g". I said "Sure thats more than what I'm feeding them now so that bag certainly won't last me any longer, I'll look at some of the other brands."

Unimpressed at my cheap-ass point of view :rolleyes: He proceeded to hold up a measuring cup and asked me how many scoops of food do my 2 Akitas get now. I replied "about two and a half scoops" and he said, chuffed with himself, "Well with this they'd only need one and a half because it's a more dense food so you're feeding them half the amount you currently are." I said "Eh...No. You're not. You're still feeding them minimum 640g of food from a 15kg bag, the same as the red mills range, and that's way more than the burns range. You're just feeding them less individual bits of kibble but the weight of the portions are the same so the bag won't last any longer."

This conversation continued for 15 mins with him assuring me the bag would last longer cos you only used one scoop :rolleyes:;);) Eventually I just had to stop the arguement because I was pissing in the wind :mad: One 600g scoop or ten 60g scoops still equals 600g no matter what way you serve it up.

Ultimately this lad gave out to us for wanting to buy cheaper foods (he proudly said he has 5 dogs and pays over €500 a month on food- madness IMO) despite the fact we explained money was tight and we were trying to do the best we could, while my heavily pregnant girlfriend stood beside me :mad: . "If you had a choice of McDonalds or a fillet steak you'd pick a fillet steak every time" he said. I replied "Well I would rather eat McDonalds 7 days a week and not go hungry than have one fillet steak and starve"

So while he may have been a canine nutritionist, he certainly wasn't a feckin financial advisor with his reasoning that weight is irrelevant when compared to the size of the measuring cup :rolleyes:

Anyway, rant over. I'll be trying the premiere food next and reverting back to burns if it doesn't go down well.

Yup, they are indeed and getting more popular all the time :D

Yea I found the Real Nature to go alot faster too, so went back to select gold, must try the premier though, didnt hear about it till today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Adser, there isn't a MaxiZoo close to me but I am always interested in hearing about other dog foods. Build up the knowledge:)

The maxizoo.ie website isn't great as for some reason they don't list the ingredients of the foods.

I went to their general website maxizoo.com and clicked on Germany at the bottom (since they are a German company).

Here's the link for their Premiere food. adser I know you bought a bag so you know the ingredients - but for anyone else that might be interested.

http://www.fressnapf.de/shop/premiere-high5-dog-adult-gefluegel

Its in German so run the link through Google Translate to get English. The other food ingredients are listed too like Real Nature.

Here is the translated link for the Premiere food:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fressnapf.de%2Fshop%2Fpremiere-high5-dog-adult-gefluegel

paultf wrote: »
    Adser, there isn't a MaxiZoo close to me but I am always interested in hearing about other dog foods. Build up the knowledge:)

The maxizoo.ie website isn't great as for some reason they don't list the ingredients of the foods.

I went to their general website maxizoo.com and clicked on Germany at the bottom (since they are a German company).

Here's the link for their Premiere food. adser I know you bought a bag so you know the ingredients - but for anyone else that might be interested.

http://www.fressnapf.de/shop/premiere-high5-dog-adult-gefluegel

Its in German so run the link through Google Translate to get English. The other food ingredients are listed too like Real Nature.

Here is the translated link for the Premiere food:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fressnapf.de%2Fshop%2Fpremiere-high5-dog-adult-gefluegel

Thanks a million for all that Paul :)

But I havn't gotten a bag yet, I'll be getting one next week when I finish up what I've got left

Cripes, the lads in my place are lovely, and I had a great chat with the manager about the Real Nature. I've done canine nutrition myself and went through the Real Nature and tbh I made out the calculations myself across how much exercise my lads were getting, their weight etc. By their calculations, my lot should be on about 600g as well, but they're a fine weight on the 400 I'm giving them.
    Yer man sounds like a right plonker though, I mean when you're feeding two big hungry hounds it is hard to go the whole hog and spend so much on food, and I definitely dont believe his whole 'paying 500 a month on food', that's a bit mad. Let us know how you get on with the premiere- I'm thinking of switching my lads over when they're fully grown.

Like adser said, they are indeed. How to know which is which: if you ever see an akita with black around its muzzle, its an American. Even though people are even advertising them as japanese akitas, black muzzles are only found in the Americans (or at least should be, though I'm pretty sure there's a few breeders crossing the two:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Adser, would you consider CLinivet? I feed my dogs it and its around 50 euro a bag with free delivery.
    Both my rotties are on it and i find it brilliant. You cant buy it in the shops or only at certain suppliers so you order it online but you can get it delivered where ever you want. I get mine delivered to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

forensic wrote: »
    OP about dogs I know, but just wanted to add a bit about the cat food.

We use the 4kg bags of Light Select Gold, its €34.99 a bag. One bag last us a month-ish with 2 cats, 2 enormous cats!

I remember going into Maxi Zoo and asking about cat food and the guy pointed out the different meat contents of each wet food. The Select Gold was one of the highest meat contents if I remember correctly.

A lot of the "brand" name stuff was terrible in comparison. I know when we gave our two cats wet food along with dry food, the wet food was the whiskas pouches and I swear they were high after eating it! Bouncing off the walls like kids hopped up on sugar and E numbers. Junk food for cats.

All they eat now is the dry food and they love it and if we inadvertently run out they won't touch anything else.

I must try the Select Gold on my lady. She's a young cat and going through a growth spurt or something at the moment as she's eating loads

andreac wrote: »
    Adser, would you consider CLinivet? I feed my dogs it and its around 50 euro a bag with free delivery.
    Both my rotties are on it and i find it brilliant. You cant buy it in the shops or only at certain suppliers so you order it online but you can get it delivered where ever you want. I get mine delivered to work.
    I'm open to any food Andrea :) I'll have a look at that one too. Do you get it from zooplus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm open to any food Andrea :) I'll have a look at that one too. Do you get it from zooplus?

No i buy it directly from their site www.clinivet.co.uk

Right well...I did some quick sums on the foods in maxi zoo and a few online ones and thought I'd post the results on here for others to see.
    A few notes first, I based my calculations on the manufacturers minimum feeding guidelines for two 55kg Akitas and one 7.5kg cavalier king charles (the cav was also included in the large breed feeds for reference). The prices are from one of the following sources per food: maxi zoo, zooplus.co.uk, husse.ie and clinivet.com. Finally, the prices quoted from zooplus are from the economy offer where you save a few quid by buying two bags at once.
    The purpose of this was to show the feeding costs per year for a number of mid range to high end dog foods. The quality of the foods isn't shown below but they are all respected foods and none would be classed as cheap or rubbish (I don't think anyway :p)
    I've arranged them by price in descending order showing the food price for a 15kg bag, the daily amount of food needed altogether for the 3 dogs, the number of bags needed per year and finally the cost of that number.

1.Premiere High 5 €39.99 (maxi zoo) 1020g per day 24.83 bags per year = €992.95
    2.Burns Adult (zooplus) €44.85 1000g per day 24.3 bags per year = €1089.86
    3.Happydog Naturcroq (maxi zoo) €37.99 1310g per day 31.87 bags per year = €1211
    4.Taste of the wild (zooplus) €48.04 1090g per day 26.52 bags per year = €1274.31
    5.Husse Lamb & Rice €54.00 980g per day 23.85 bags per year = €1288.23
    6.Husse Prima €45.00 1210g per day 29.2 bags per year = €1314.00
    7.Husse Optimal Giant €54.00 980g per day 23.85 bags per year =€1314.00
    8.Red Mills Leader (maxi zoo) €44.99 1230g per day 30.4 bags per year = €1368.45
    9.Clinivet Adult Large Breed €52.03 1300g per day 31.65 bags per year = €1647.09
    10.Select Gold Adult Large Breed (maxi zoo) €55.99 1220g per day 29.68 bags per year = €1662.16
    11.Hills Nature's Best Adult Large Breed (maxi zoo) €52.50 1360g per day 33.09 bags per year = €1737.30
    12.Select Gold Adult (maxi zoo) €54.99 1310g per day 31.87 bags per year = €1752.53
    13.James Wellbeloved Adult (maxi zoo) €58.99 1370g per day 33.63 bags per year €1968.13
    14.Real Nature (maxi zoo) €69.99 1420g per day 34.56 bags per year = €2419.16

So as I said earlier, ill try the premiere high 5 and see how it goes as by all accounts its far superior to red mills leader (my fall back food) and if it doesn't work out I'll put them back on burns which I know I can rely on and its 2nd best in the list above for costs. Win win IMO :)

Edit: there's a slight boo boo on one of the husse calcs that I'll fix tomorrow but its negligible and the standings remain the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I feed my pup (5 months) the Real Nature, she loves it! Two different times I ran out of it and couldn't get to Maxizoo to stock up, I had to fall back on Bakers and she wouldn't touch it! Just sorta sniffed it and gave me that look of "You expect me to eat that crap?!" and went off to sulk in her bed.

I've tried her on all the ones you listed and she prefers the Real Nature (both wet and dry) much more than the rest. And, overall, it does work out to be really affordable because its so good they dont eat as much of it (and mines a greedy guts and 2 of the plastic cups in MaxiZoo they give for free completely fill her for the day)

Hi Adser, do you know if the premiere high 5 is for young dogs aswell? (10 month rottie).

Hi Adser, do you know if the premiere high 5 is for young dogs aswell? (10 month rottie).

Nope it isn't. I asked them the same thing as my lot are only six months, but its made only for adult dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

I fed my lad select gold large puppy food and he loved it good coat and stools. I found this guy who delivers your dog food and i now feed my lad on it and its quality food at an affordable price http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Adser, how you getting on with the Premier High 5?

Advertisement