Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxi Zoo Own Brand foods

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Yep i have an 11 week old staffy and feed him the Real Nature Black angus..
    it really is brilliant and his stools are solid and he's an extremly happy Puppy, he wolfs it down.. i might switch to the Premier when he's a year old and see how i get on, the Real Nature is expensive and not sure i can keep paying that much for his food although i really want to give him the best i can afford, looking at most other dog foods, im of the opinion that the Real nature stuff is Pretty much the best. and the recommended feeding amounts are a bit high, i was told 400g a day but am feeding him closer to 250g a day and he is a perfect weight for his age, really healthy, i also have to say the guy i deal with in MaxiZoo in finglas is brilliant and has answered all my questions regarding my staffy.. so its Real nature for now, and one or two marrow bones a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I'm feeding my dog premier high 5 for last few months. She is doing great on it. Feed alot less than other foods like red mills leader, beta etc. so it lasts for ages. e40 for 15kg bag. It is 27% protein though so not for every dog but my dog does good mileage every day so it suits her.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

I started my red setter pup on real nature but after 2 weeks she went off it. Brought the food back to maxi zoo & got my money back, well technically i exchanged :) I got the select gold maxi junior sensitive. She loves it. the poo is really good & her coat is so glossy & soft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Sorry Gar I only saw now you asked how I got on. The P.H5 was grand. The dogs enjoyed it, coats and condition were good and the poops weren't bad (Loki can have a dodgy tum sometimes so the p.h5 was no better or worse than the other foods.
    I ended up changing the foods though cos Naas is the closest Maxi Zoo to me and I used to call in on my way home from work at about 5:50. On a few occasions the douche bags in the shop wouldn't let me in cos they were closing (I was there before 6) even though I wouldve been in and out in 20 seconds. Meaning I had to get something else to feed them. So I changed to a food I can get locally without any of the hassle from Maxi Poo ( ;) see what I did there?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

adser53 wrote: »
    Sorry Gar I only saw now you asked how I got on. The P.H5 was grand. The dogs enjoyed it, coats and condition were good and the poops weren't bad (Loki can have a dodgy tum sometimes so the p.h5 was no better or worse than the other foods.
    I ended up changing the foods though cos Naas is the closest Maxi Zoo to me and I used to call in on my way home from work at about 5:50. On a few occasions the douche bags in the shop wouldn't let me in cos they were closing (I was there before 6) even though I wouldve been in and out in 20 seconds. Meaning I had to get something else to feed them. So I changed to a food I can get locally without any of the hassle from Maxi Poo ( ;) see what I did there?)

hi adser, just wonder if u know what brownes pet feed store is like. i live in tullamore but am always in portlaoise. someone was telling me they have a good range and good prices. im trying to find a good food for my st puppy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

They're very good portgirl. They're about €2 a bag cheaper for some foods that are also stocked in petmania and they've a pretty good range of foods too. Only problem (similar to what I said above) is their opening hours. I'm not sure if its still the case as I haven't used them in a while but they used to close at 1 on a Saturday and not open sunday so for a commuter like me, I'd a very small window of opportunity to get food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I feed my doggie (5-yr-old dobie girl) Orijen, which is expensive, but is grain-free and she does great on it. Before I switched her to that around 3 years ago, she'd had an auto-immune skin problem, which caused her to get scabs on the tips of her ears on the insides.

Then around half a year ago, with hubby on 3-day week in work, I tried switching her to Select Gold to see if it came back. Which it did, and fairly quickly. So I switched her back, giving the other 15kg bag I'd got on the special deal to my mother-in-law. It took ages for the problem to go away again, and so she'll be staying on grain-free food for the rest of her life, even if we have to go hungry ourselves.

On the other hand, my cats need anti-struvite in their food, which the Select Gold Sensitive has, so they are now on that, instead of the exorbitantly-priced Hills c/d from the vet, which they don't even like. And doing great on it as well, along with half a pouch of wet food each per day from Aldi, which they actually like better than expensive pouches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

hi ferretone
    did you look at bestformydog.com. they do a grain free food. i read on a different site has similar content to orijen. used to get it for my dog, changed and now thinking of going back to it. guy is based in dunboyne and delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Very interesting thread!

I have two Miniature Schnauzers who are currently eating Real Nature from Maxi Zoo and are thriving on it.

However, it is very expensive. And considering we're adopting an 18mth (approx) rescue Rottie now, I want to get a food for all three that is high quality but won't break the bank.

Was interested to read that the Premiere High 5 seems to be a good fit for the larger breeds (although our girl is quite small as Rotties go). Wondering what people would think of switching all 3 dogs to this food?

Omega Fatty Acids are also a priority, as one of the Schnauzers has Lupus - switching from Science Plan to Real Nature made the world of difference to her. Don't want to risk her taking a step back but the Premiere does seem to be comparable to the Real Nature as far as I can tell - or am I wrong??? :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I use the Real Nature for my two because of the lack of chemicals and preservatives, but I had a look at the Premiere and its more along the lines of Royal Canin than Real Nature which has a higher meat content as well. A friend of mine uses it for a boxer and JRT and they're doing great on it so I'm thinking of trying the premiere once my guys are adults. Best thing to do is go with whatever suits them the best

• Advertisement

axle108 I've just looked at the bestformydg site and the food looks great. Thinking of ordering the cold pressed food when it's back in stock now. Hope he delivers to Kilkenny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Best for my Dog is very good - had some of mine on it for a while (stopped because it was a pain to source... more so, I kept forgetting to order it and ended up buying food in a pet store or vets so it just got phased out).

The Poultry one (blue bag) is fantastic and even agreed with my problem child (who has cost me a fortune in food over the years due to allergies and sensitivities). I will definitely be ordering it again (now that I have been reminded!). The only negative is that poo production was on the high side - not gross or liquidy or anything, just quite a lot of it, even though the recommended feeding amount wasn't too high. In saying that though - was great for the anal glands!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

probably one of the most interesting thread I have read in a while, learned alot about the overall cost of food.
    I have my bull terrier on redmills leader puppy and he is thriving, i find it better than royal canine, would love to try him on some of the other foods but not the natures one, I just could not justify spending 70 quid on a bag of dog food.

Thanks lorebringer. I'll deffo go for bestformydog and keep an eye out for any increase in poo :D

Advertisement