Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks Lads,
    Last yr when training for DCM i was never happy with HR so i completely ignored it...
    Here is data for 7m from my Garmin..
    Distance - miles 7.00
    Time 01:18:37
    Calories 1049cal
    Avg HR 156bpm
    Max Hr 173bpm
    Ave pace 11:14 p.m.
    Max pace 8:54 p.m.

To get my Max HR i used the 220 - your age(39) very scientific formula!!!!!!

Memo I will run that strategy tomorrow and see how i rate, because i have never ran my max as im always afraid i won;t be able to finish and run all my races at about my average 9 min mile....

Ps what's the story with the Thanks in the bottom of the posts...how do you do it???

QUOTE=RayCun;73546066]Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||121 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|3|13.65|92.92 miles|Picked up an injury during the Nenagh 4 miler, ended up in A&E as I couldnt walk:(. Not sure how long I will be out (delighted with my time in the race though:))|
    Nules10|4|25|147|13miles lsr which i found very tough.|
    Duckee|4|19m|57|Great week. legs feeling good after 9mile lsr today. learning how to pace better and not take every run at speed|
    liamog|4|26.2 miles|89.1 miles|Another good week. Bought a camlebak for the longer runs|
    Concerned2|3|18.16m|256.33 miles|Taking almost a week off to try & get rid of a few injuries|
    cr17|4|23 miles|89 miles|LSR last night of 11miles, went good, 9:35 pace|
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|4|19m|65|9mile lsr felt great but niggle in left knee 2 days later - early days for that!|
    PDCAT|4|21.6|69.6|10 mile LSR - Felt really good. Could have ran another few miles.
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|24|86|11m lsr went well|
    BobMac104|5|30.2miles|71.2|good week. did a 13 mile LSR in 2 hours 7. A bit fast but happy overall. I will try to keep the milage as high this week
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|4|28.5|122| lsr 12 miles yesterday,tough one
    red face dave|1|19|19| First week done
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|4|17|17|first week, very happy with progress|

to update in future, quote the post containing the latest table and overwrite your data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Younganne wrote: »
    Thanks Lads,
    Last yr when training for DCM i was never happy with HR so i completely ignored it...
    Here is data for 7m from my Garmin..
    Distance - miles 7.00
    Time 01:18:37
    Calories 1049cal
    Avg HR 156bpm
    Max Hr 173bpm
    Ave pace 11:14 p.m.
    Max pace 8:54 p.m.

To get my Max HR i used the 220 - your age(39) very scientific formula!!!!!!

Memo I will run that strategy tomorrow and see how i rate, because i have never ran my max as im always afraid i won;t be able to finish and run all my races at about my average 9 min mile....

Ps what's the story with the Thanks in the bottom of the posts...how do you do it???

Sorry, I understood you as saying that your Average HR for your runs was up around 170, not the max!! I wouldn't worry too much about the max during training runs as this can often be affected at the start of the run, due to a poor electrical connection between the HR monitor and your chest (apparently it's only when you start sweating a bit that the connection works and the stats are correct).
    The important thing is to keep the av Hr in the right area and 156 is much better than 173 in that respect!

For the race strategy, take it nice and easy at the start if you want but try to push on at the end. I recommend sprinting the last 200m, because you are unlikely to 'blow up' with that little to go :D

About the thanks, I think you can only thank a post after you have 15-20 posts yourself (or some number like that). You'll be able to thanks us soon LOL.

Thanks Memo,

i usually manage to get in a good run at the finish so he's hoping it will work tomorrow......

sorry ye i did say avy rate 175, meant max rate.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The table is defined by the {TABLE} and {/TABLE} tags - those tags have to be left alone. Edit anything between them and you are changing the table (which you want to do when you are updating around it). Anything outside those tags is not part of the table.

• Advertisement

Hi ray
    I managed to update table unknown to myself and then when I tried again I got it wrong so deleted the post...but as time goes on I will laugh at myself for not knowing how to do all the fancy stuff ye can do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Younganne wrote: »
    Hi ray
    I managed to update table unknown to myself and then when I tried again I got it wrong so deleted the post...but as time goes on I will laugh at myself for not knowing how to do all the fancy stuff ye can do:D

Took me ages to manage to do the table i still muck it up. So i am glad not to be alone in that respect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

+ 1 I still mess it up on a regular basis:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Looking for a bit of advice please, every time I run anything over 10 miles I have a sick stomach for a few hours after. Is there anything I am doing wrong I didn't have any gels to take today. I ran 12 miles in total but only had water break after 5.5 miles would that be the reason.

what do you eat before and after your run?

• Advertisement

Raycun, I had my lunch at 1.00 sandwich, then at around 3 had a few nuts and a bit of fruit. Could not eat for 2 hours afterwards because I felt sick. Started this diet about 2 weeks ago and that is when the sick stomach started. Anything over 10 miles and it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Raycun, I had my lunch at 1.00 sandwich, then at around 3 had a few nuts and a bit of fruit. Could not eat for 2 hours afterwards because I felt sick. Started this diet about 2 weeks ago and that is when the sick stomach started. Anything over 10 miles and it starts.

This is not good. It is imperative that you consume energy after your long runs within 1-2 hours so this needs to be sorted as soon as.

It would appear that the diet seems to be the trigger, and should be reviewed.

It is my personal view that you should not use a diet where the outcome results in more then 2-3 lbs loss per month. While doing a marathon training program any diet that is deficient carbohydrates is asking for trouble. This include low GI type diets as High GI foods have an important role in energy replacement during and after exercise.

ger664 wrote: »
    This is not good. It is imperative that you consume energy after your long runs within 1-2 hours so this needs to be sorted as soon as.

It would appear that the diet seems to be the trigger, and should be reviewed.

It is my personal view that you should not use a diet where the outcome results in more then 2-3 lbs loss per month. While doing a marathon training program any diet that is deficient carbohydrates is asking for trouble. This include low GI type diets as High GI foods have an important role in energy replacement during and after exercise.

Thanks Ger, I have reduced my calorie intake down to around 1700 a day. While its not low in carbohydrates it is more about eating the right foods. I need to loose another stone and I will be very happy have lost 2 stone since I started the running. I know its hard to juggle losing weight and marathon training. Its hard to know what to do.

Marathon training is the wrong time to go on a diet.

Instead of reducing the amount you eat, try to swap good food for bad - fruit and nuts for chocolate, fresh vegetables and complex carbs for processed food and simple carbs, healthy meals instead of takeaways, and less alcohol. (I'm no expert on nutrition but really, most people already know what food is healthy and what isn't - you don't need to follow some complex diet)

It's an especially bad time to try to cut down on carbs. Carbohydrates are fuel, and on a long run, you don't want to run out of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »
    Marathon training is the wrong time to go on a diet.
    Repeating for emphasis. You're putting your body under enough stress as is, it needs to be fed properly during training.
    Thanks Ger, I have reduced my calorie intake down to around 1700 a day.

1700 seems very low for marathon training, particularly considering that a long run towards the end of marathon training will burn that much and more anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Duckee

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||121 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|3|13.65|92.92 miles|Picked up an injury during the Nenagh 4 miler, ended up in A&E as I couldnt walk:(. Not sure how long I will be out (delighted with my time in the race though:))|
    Duckee|4|23m|80|Tired legs today after 10mile. tough week. |
    liamog|4|26.2 miles|89.1 miles|Another good week. Bought a camlebak for the longer runs|
    Concerned2|3|18.16m|256.33 miles|Taking almost a week off to try & get rid of a few injuries|
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|4|19m|65|9mile lsr felt great but niggle in left knee 2 days later - early days for that!|
    PDCAT|4|21.6|69.6|10 mile LSR - Felt really good. Could have ran another few miles.
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|5|30.2miles|71.2|good week. did a 13 mile LSR in 2 hours 7. A bit fast but happy overall. I will try to keep the milage as high this week
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    galwayhooker|||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks Ger, I have reduced my calorie intake down to around 1700 a day.

Hey Red Face Dave

Agreeing with the few previous to me regarding your diet. Diets should not be seen as restrictive, but rather quality control. Simple changes can help you drop the weight while still keep you feeling healthy and have the energy to get through training.

RayCun point out alot of simple tips that can help you significantly so i will just reiterate and add to

Think Brown over white - when taking carbs always think this way. Brown pasta, bread, rice are great substitutes for there white counter parts

Fish - Try to included once a week at the very least. Fish contains Omega 3 which can increase the bodies ability to metabolise excess fat

Light Meat Think of this as scale in terms of healthy low fat protein. Turkey is a good low fat substitute for chicken though chicken itself is grand. try to aim to have these atleast 2-3 times a week. Add this to the fish and you have over half the dinners for the week sorted;)

Tea/Coffee If you can cut down the milk intake with these preferrably to none. Green Tea is actually a good alternative also (admittedly wrote this piece so it can be biased:D)

Nuts/seeds/fruit Great substitute for snacking during the day. You can pick these up cheap and leave them on desk in work and pick away during the day.

Smaller meals more often Rather than the usual 3 square a day try to have lighter meals more often. This keeps you metabolism engaged and doesnt allow the body to enter hibernation mode (metabolism slows down i attempt to conserve fuel if goes too long hungry)

If you manage all these and still fins it hard to shift the extra weight look at portion control as progressive. Dont limit but rather slowly but surely whittle it down (one less roastie tomorrow maybe) or little random things like that

To give you some perspective of how beneficial these tips are I'm 5"7 male who weighs 126lbs (9 stone flat) though admittedly I am fairly high mileage runner

Thanks Everyone.

Have started to eat fish this week(hate it). I have more or less given up milk but still have to have it in tea. Soya milk is not the same in tea.:-)
    Everything you have mentioned Ecoli that is what I have been eating maybe the portions are a bit small. Lost 3 pounds this week. To much to soon

Red Face Dave: I agree with others that 1700 is too low for someone training for a marathon.

Ecoli As regards the brown versus white, I believe that white carbs are better for post recovery of glycogen stores after LSR's and hard workouts. I'm not talking about the pizza and chips variety but white rice, pancakes, honey, boiled spuds etc. Brown before and white after. Thoughts on this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

ger664 wrote: »
    Red Face Dave: I agree with others that 1700 is too low for someone training for a marathon.

Ecoli As regards the brown versus white, I believe that white carbs are better for post recovery of glycogen stores after LSR's and hard workouts. I'm not talking about the pizza and chips variety but white rice, pancakes, honey, boiled spuds etc. Brown before and white after. Thoughts on this ?

This is true White's have a high GI index which means they are absorbed quicker which can be important in terms of recovery especially after long runs. Brown are lower GI index which means they have a slower absorption. If you are using these for recovery I would say yes to whites (normally personally i stick to low fat choc milk for recoveries for mix of quick absorbed carbs and protein). In terms of overall lifestyle though I would ay stick to brown (Again nutrition is not my expertise and probably more qualified people around here to advise)

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    To give you some perspective of how beneficial these tips are I'm 5"7 male who weighs 126lbs (9 stone flat) though admittedly I am fairly high mileage runner

Blinkin' flip, I'm the same height and weigh 70kg/11stone and I thought I was doing okay :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|4|27 miles|148 miles|Short week, as I ran 4 days in a row before going on hols..|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    TomD101|||||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    galwayhooker|||||

Just back from holidays, so updating for last week now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

Hi all,

I'm aiming for DCM this year & Hav been going well with the training up until this week & most of last when I've picked up an inner ear infection which us similar to vertigo so not pleasant at all.

Do u just take the lack of training on the chin or whats de craic. I suppose 2 weeks overall doesn't make a massive difference but mentally it's not great.

Any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Marathon training is hard and will take it's toll. You can pull a muscle of some type or else get run down and pick up an infection. The way back is pretty simple though - do what the doc/physio says! If the doc says 2 weeks, then take 2 weeks. If you come back early you'll risk running yourself down and the infection can come back.

Also, be sensible when you come back. You'll have had 2 weeks rest but that doesn't mean you should do a 20 miler first day back. Build it up again - if Dublin is your target then you've lots of time left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ha ha snap! I just started a thread on the same kind of subject at the same time as you!! Weird eh

If its just a week or two I think its easier to take than if you get injured and need to slowly build back up to pre-sickness/injury distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

You won't lose a massive amount of fitness, but you will have to ease back into your training, don't jump back into your program but give yourself two or three weeks to get back on track. An ear infection can be very nasty so recovering fully from it is much more important than your training. Patience is vital and your trainings been going well so you will catch up. Time is still on your side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ecoli wrote: »
    This is true White's have a high GI index which means they are absorbed quicker which can be important in terms of recovery especially after long runs. Brown are lower GI index which means they have a slower absorption. If you are using these for recovery I would say yes to whites (normally personally i stick to low fat choc milk for recoveries for mix of quick absorbed carbs and protein). In terms of overall lifestyle though I would ay stick to brown (Again nutrition is not my expertise and probably more qualified people around here to advise)
    Low fat or not, choc milk is packed full of sugar, which is whitest of white and highest GI of all when it comes to carbs.
    Just saying :p

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

Thanks lads. Nothing like a bit of re-assurance

menoscemo wrote: »
    Low fat or not, choc milk is packed full of sugar, which is whitest of white and highest GI of all when it comes to carbs.
    Just saying :p

Really depends on the quality of the chocolate.

Pure cocoa contains virtually no sugar and its carbs are mainly from dietary fiber. When its made into chocolate the sugars get added. The darker the chocolate the less sugar thats in it. Make your shakes from cocoa powder instead.

• Advertisement

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|4|27 miles|148 miles|Short week, as I ran 4 days in a row before going on hols..|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    liamog|||89.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||256.33 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|||65||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||