Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|3|16 miles|164 miles|3 short runs while in Barcalona, doing midlands half on Monday.. |
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    Duckee|4|23m|80|Tired legs today after 10mile. tough week. |
    liamog|||89.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||256.33 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|||65||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|||86||
    BobMac104|||71.2||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||19|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||
    I actually filled in last week late, this is the entry for this week, early :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|3|16 miles|164 miles|3 short runs while in Barcalona, doing midlands half on Monday.. |
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    liamog|4|26.5 miles|115.1 miles|4 good sessions, checkpoint on Monday as I have entered the DLR Bay 10k, looking to break 50 mins for the first time|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|||65||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|||86||
    BobMac104|||71.2||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||19|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3m/5k|5m/8k, half @ PMP|3m/5k|rest|7m/11.5k|cross

Another step-back week.
    For the midweek run, take a mile or two easy to warm up, then speed up to your planned marathon pace, before slowing down again for the final cooldown mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    liamog|4|26.5 miles|115.1 miles|4 good sessions, checkpoint on Monday as I have entered the DLR Bay 10k, looking to break 50 mins for the first time|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|||65||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    ShivDCM|4|27|113m|good week.|
    BobMac104|||71.2||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||19|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chubbs21

Hi,

I came across this article online and was wondering what your opinions were on it. I am considering attempting to run Dublin Marathon and have been following this programme for the past number of weeks. Have never ran a marathon before but I have been running steadily for the past year. Do you think I will be able for the marathon if I follow this plan??

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-8257-1-1X2X3X4X5X6-6,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Moving to athletics/running/tri forum - much more appropriate and helpful traffic here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

Allrite lads, its hardly to late for me to start into this plan with 13 weeks to go to the DCM is it??

At the moment my 5km pb is : 22.10
    10km pb is 49.23
    And LSR runs , im up to 16km , not sure in what time.

Like a few on here, i spent the summer doing triathlons and built up from doin a super sprint tri in feb up doin the olympic distance tri in kilkenny 2 weeks ago in 2.49. Good goin i reckon in a short period of time. That's why im confident I can build up to the marathon distance as well. Ive buckets of commitment for it as well.

Only workin 20 hrs a week at the moment , so I can commit to plenty of training, no problem.

Im willing to pack away the bike and the swimming for the rest of the summer and focus entirely on running as I set myself about 4 fitness goals for the summer, 1 of them being run a marathon and I have completed the rest.

I had originally planned to the galway city marathon in 5 weeks time but that is out the window as it took me that little bit extra time to finished the other goals i had in mind.

So what do ye reckon .. I would perfer honesty over encouragement but would welcome both!! :)

Thanks for any replies.

Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

noeleoreid wrote: »
    Allrite lads, its hardly to late for me to start into this plan with 13 weeks to go to the DCM is it??

At the moment my 5km pb is : 22.10
    10km pb is 49.23
    And LSR runs , im up to 16km , not sure in what time.

Like a few on here, i spent the summer doing triathlons and built up from doin a super sprint tri in feb up doin the olympic distance tri in kilkenny 2 weeks ago in 2.49. Good goin i reckon in a short period of time. That's why im confident I can build up to the marathon distance as well. Ive buckets of commitment for it as well.

Only workin 20 hrs a week at the moment , so I can commit to plenty of training, no problem.

Im willing to pack away the bike and the swimming for the rest of the summer and focus entirely on running as I set myself about 4 fitness goals for the summer, 1 of them being run a marathon and I have completed the rest.

I had originally planned to the galway city marathon in 5 weeks time but that is out the window as it took me that little bit extra time to finished the other goals i had in mind.

So what do ye reckon .. I would perfer honesty over encouragement but would welcome both!! :)

Thanks for any replies.

Noel

If you're not looking for a time and just want to complete it then being at 10 miles with 13 weeks to go means you should get around safely. Your tri fitness will help of course.

no not looking for any time at all, just to finish. , so what week are ye all now? week 4 , day 7 is that correct?

Also do i need tell the mods to start adding my miles to the table above or if someone adds me to the table, can i just start putting them in myself? Dunno how that works as i cant seem to just click on the table myself and put them in?

Is everyone just following the weekly plans that raycun is posting is what he is putting up talored to where he is in his level of training?

Any tech gargin i should be aware of as well tell me now so i wont be dispruting the thread too much asking silly questions later. As i know im late enty to the plan / thread.

much appreciated again ,

noel

no not looking for any time at all, just to finish. , so what week are ye all now? week 4 , day 7 is that correct?

Also do i need tell the mods to start adding my miles to the table above or if someone adds me to the table, can i just start putting them in myself? Dunno how that works as i cant seem to just click on the table myself and put them in?

Is everyone just following the weekly plans that raycun is posting is what he is putting up talored to where he is in his level of training?

much appreciated again ,

noel

Everyone is following their own plan but most start with one of the Hal Higdon Novice plans, most will be starting week 5 tomorrow.

Just quote the table and add yourself by copying and pasting someone elses entry and putting in your details. Delete the
    from each end and hit 'Submit Post'.

Raycun is training for his second marathon and is following a much tougher schedule that would not be recommended for novices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

chubbs21 wrote: »
    Hi,

I came across this article online and was wondering what your opinions were on it. I am considering attempting to run Dublin Marathon and have been following this programme for the past number of weeks. Have never ran a marathon before but I have been running steadily for the past year. Do you think I will be able for the marathon if I follow this plan??

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-8257-1-1X2X3X4X5X6-6,00.html
    there is many on here with much more experience than me but i feel this plan will do the job but its not the best plan......you would be better off running 4/5 days a week and with one tempo and one long run per week with the rest jogging runs....
    i tried the runners world "smart coach" plan for my first marathon....its on that runners world site that you posted...you will find it, but might have to sign up to the site im not sure, but that is a good beginners program as it bases the program on your current fitness level...it just has a little more detail than the one you posted ...hope this helps you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone can finish a marathon. This plan will likely get you from a stage where you can run 10 miles, to where you are in a position to complete the 26.2 miles, with a minimum amount of mileage. The question though is whether or not it is the best plan (or even a good plan?).

If your goal is to complete a marathon with a minimum amount of mileage, then you may have found your ideal plan. If your goal is to run a marathon as well as you can given your current level of fitness, you may be selling yourself short by following a minimum mileage plan. There may also be an increased risk of injury, given that the program maxes out at around 30 miles, particularly given that this is your first marathon and you may have not built up a solid mileage base.

Hal Hagdon's plans (which I'm not holding up as being perfect either!) seems a little more well-grounded, in that the weekend long run is no longer than the total mileage you have completed mid-week, whereas this plan has your biggest mileage weeks as 12 miles mid-week for a 20 mile weekend long run.

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|||65||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|||71.2||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||19|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||
    noeleoreid|2|22 kms|50 kms| 12km today, felt good but not used to running slow pace over long miles, something new to get used to|

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Dublin was my first marathon last year and I trained 3 days a week.
    I had tried doing a 4/5 day plan the year before but my knees started giving trouble when I ran 2 days in a row.
    I just wanted to finish and I got around fine in about 4' 10", not sure if a 3 day plan would work for someone trying to do a PB.
    So it depends on what you're aiming for but I think you should be good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chubbs21

thanks for the replies. So it seems to be more a program for completing a marathon rather than running one in a certain time. I would by no means be looking for a time but I would prefer run a decent first time marathon than drag myself around due to lack of mileage. I may go back to the Hal Higdon plan that you linked about. It seem to be reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pulpo

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|||65||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|||71.2||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||19|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||
    noeleoreid|2|22 kms|50 kms| 12km today, felt good but not used to running slow pace over long miles, something new to get used to|
    pulpo||40 km|150 km| yesterday there was test run in my training plan, 20km @ PMP (4:37 min/km), felt very good and avg HR was 162 (max. 200).|

how often will the dublin marathon have aid stations? every mile? every 5 miles? will it be necessary to wear one of them hydration belts with the small bottles on them ??

Also, do ye usually bring food or gels and bars and things on long runs, again will there be need for a belt?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Everyone is following their own plan but most start with one of the Hal Higdon Novice plans, most will be starting week 5 tomorrow.

Just one correction, most are starting week 6 today

how often will the dublin marathon have aid stations? every mile? every 5 miles? will it be necessary to wear one of them hydration belts with the small bottles on them ??

Also, do ye usually bring food or gels and bars and things on long runs, again will there be need for a belt?

There are water stations every three miles, plus three stations with Spar sports drinks, and two with gels. Most people bring their own gels, but get water en route.
    During training runs you'll need to sort out your own water and nutrition. That could mean bringing a belt, doing a loop that brings you back by your house/car, stopping in shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|4|21m|86|Knee was better after 10m this week than last week - started foam roller for IT so hopefully will help|
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|||71.2||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||19|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||
    pulpo||40 km|150 km| yesterday there was test run in my training plan, 20km @ PMP (4:37 min/km), felt very good and avg HR was 162 (max. 200).|
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    Mr Abbey|4|21m|86|Knee was better after 10m this week than last week - started foam roller for IT so hopefully will help|
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|5|30.2|101.4|good week 13m LSR and a couple of PMP runs. my pacing is getting better i think|
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||19|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Concerned2

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    Concerned2|4|28.54m|284.87 miles|included a 14 mile LSR. Taking it easy this week to be fresh for the Streets of Galway race|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|5|27.1|98.3|good week 13m LSR and a couple of PMP runs. my pacing is getting better i think|
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||19|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Concerned2;73587802]Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||147||
    Concerned2|4|28.54m|284.87 miles|included a 14 mile LSR. Taking it easy this week to be fresh for the Streets of Galway race|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    BobMac104|5|27.1|98.3|good week 13m LSR and a couple of PMP runs. my pacing is getting better i think|
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|2|21|40| Tough week.
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||
    [

8 miles yesterday and 5 today, legs like mush.. is there anything outside foam rolling and stretching to aid recovery ?? sooo sore..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|3|21|168|Missed out on one 3 mile run but really enjoyed my runs this week|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664||| 51 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|3|21|168|Missed out on one 3 mile run but really enjoyed my runs this week|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    dylbert|||97||
    ger664|5|58 Kms| 109 Kms| Tried some speed work, but glute still too stiff. 10K Race Saturday, tough uphill start and finish not a PB course, but good for the soul |
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||114.8||
    PDCAT|||69.6||
    TomD101|||||
    dylbert|4|22.5|119.5|tough run on Saturday, ran out of steam the last half mile|
    ger664|5|58 Kms| 109 Kms| Tried some speed work, but glute still too stiff. 10K Race Saturday, tough uphill start and finish not a PB course, but good for the soul |
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||17||

8 miles yesterday and 5 today, legs like mush.. is there anything outside foam rolling and stretching to aid recovery ?? sooo sore..

Ice baths!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Ice baths!

Jezz i dunno bout that one, sounds drastic :eek: ... but ill definitely throw on an oul bag of frozen peas over the quads anymore. Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Jezz i dunno bout that one, sounds drastic :eek: ... but ill definitely throw on an oul bag of frozen peas over the quads anymore. Cheers :)

Trust me. if you're suffering from D.O.M.S. get into a cold water bath, once you're comfortable (relatively speaking) start adding 2 of those large bags of ice you get in the offie, sit there for 10/15 mins and you'll be amazed at the difference. If you have compression wear then stick them on afterwards for a few hours to get fresh blood flowing through your muscles.

This is the marathon baby, it's not supposed to be easy!

Advertisement