Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I'll only be running 3 times a week. Other work outs will be cycling and swimming.

Can it be done ?

Distances i'm looking at are

4M
    8M
    XX LSR

2 cycles a week and 2 swims

I'm already up to 14M LSR and 3 halfs under my belt:)

You might have a look at Run Less, Run Faster

Training schedules are built around 3 runs and 2 (or 3) cross-training sessions per week. The 3 runs are basically intervals, tempo run and LSR. More info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

D Chief wrote: »
    You might have a look at Run Less, Run Faster

Training schedules are built around 3 runs and 2 (or 3) cross-training sessions per week. The 3 runs are basically intervals, tempo run and LSR. More info here.

Have seen these, however most 5-6 day plans have the same number and type of core sessions, they just add in extra recovery runs on other days.

IMO it is more beneficial to do a recovery run at a very slow pace combined with a good stretching/foam rolling session then doing Cross Training or Resting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tunguska wrote: »
    Sorry lads didnt realise this had been moved to the novice thread.
    But just to answer your questions menoscemo, my first race ever was april 2008(great ireland run) and my first marathon was october 2008, so yeah I was a novice runner when I ran the full distance in training and i did do that on my first marathon.

Yeah, sorry boss. I didn't realise you had answered a question on the main forum and not on the Novice thread (when you answered it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry boss. I didn't realise you had answered a question on the main forum and not on the Novice thread (when you answered it).

+1 on this didnt realise the response was to the one that was moved (damn my impetuous nature of wanting to argue with ya:p)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RubyK did a 25 mile training run last year as a 'novice' and still ran a great race in DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RubyK did a 25 mile training run last year as a 'novice' and still ran a great race in DCM.

Yes but she got injured along the way, ran DCM and was then out of action for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

For my first marathon, trained alot more than i should have and pushed myself too much and got a small calf tear 4 weeks before.

Thanks to a great physio and a good deal of time getting tortured, i made the start and finished with a badly torn calf that had me off running for 2 months and is an injury i still have to this day.

Don't do the full distance is training is my advice. 20 miles max is enough for a first marathon. Your aim should be to finish in a comfortable frame of mind and body. The world record attempt can wait for another day as you will learn bucket loads from your first attempt that you can carry forward to your second marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭coco0981

Hi there

I'm following this training plan for a 3.30 target marathon. In week 3 now but it doesn't specify what pace runs should be at just slow, easy, steady and fast. A 3.30 marathon equate to 8 minute miles so i was thinking the following
    Slow 9.30+
    Easy 8.30
    Steady 8
    Fast 7.30

Hoping some of ye more experinced runners could give me a few pointers, thinking now that the fast runs sgould be more like 7min miles??

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Trust me. if you're suffering from D.O.M.S. get into a cold water bath, once you're comfortable (relatively speaking) start adding 2 of those large bags of ice you get in the offie, sit there for 10/15 mins and you'll be amazed at the difference. If you have compression wear then stick them on afterwards for a few hours to get fresh blood flowing through your muscles.

This is the marathon baby, it's not supposed to be easy!

is there a difference between normal running leggings and compression tights for recovery? was around a few of the sports shops today looking to get 'recovery tights' but no joy, only the leggings.

Don't fancy wearing leggings wen running , but im very keen to get the recovery tights ... that's if there is a difference??

Anybody know where to get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Don't know if there's a difference myself. Out your way, the people to ask would be Amphibian King in Oranmore.

• Advertisement

coco1981 wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm following this training plan for a 3.30 target marathon. In week 3 now but it doesn't specify what pace runs should be at just slow, easy, steady and fast.

It looks like the 'easy' runs are recovery runs, which should be at a very slow pace, 9.30-10 minute miles.
    'Slow' seems to be LSR pace, so 8.30-9.30.
    'Steady' and 'fast' :confused: Maybe PMP (8.00) and tempo pace (7.20-7.30)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

noeleoreid wrote: »
    is there a difference between normal running leggings and compression tights for recovery? was around a few of the sports shops today looking to get 'recovery tights' but no joy, only the leggings.

Don't fancy wearing leggings wen running , but im very keen to get the recovery tights ... that's if there is a difference??

Anybody know where to get them?

There is a difference, one are running tights the other are a recovery tool but you can now get compression sleeves for your calve or thighs rather than the crap looking socks or full leg compression gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

coco1981 wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm following this training plan for a 3.30 target marathon. In week 3 now but it doesn't specify what pace runs should be at just slow, easy, steady and fast. A 3.30 marathon equate to 8 minute miles so i was thinking the following
    Slow 9.30+
    Easy 8.30
    Steady 8
    Fast 7.30

Hoping some of ye more experinced runners could give me a few pointers, thinking now that the fast runs sgould be more like 7min miles??

:confused:

You are not far out, but there must be some differentiation in some of the runs. E.G. 10 x 400m 'fast' is not the same as 4miles 'fast'. Something like 4 miles fast should be done in and around half marathon pace (your plan suggests 1'37 for a HM so about 7'25/mile pace?) 10 x400m 'fast' ( or 800m reps etc) should be done alot faster than HM pace, more like 5k pace so the reps should be done at 6'30 min/mile.

'Slow' is likely to be in and around 9'30/mile but as ray says during long runs you might want to go a 'bit' faster. maybe start out at 9'30 mile and speed up as you go on, finishing up with the last few miles between 8'00-8'30/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Hi guys,

I have been reading your thread for the last few hours and its so helpful. This is the first time I've posted anything but I was hoping someone could advise me on whether to sign up for the marathon.
    I have always run but considered myself as pretty useless. I am training for the 10 mile and half marathon at the minute and running about 5 times a week. I was hoping that I was kinda on target looking at the training plan you've all been doing but I see my LSR is a lot less than you guys. I did my longest LSR yesterday and it was only 10 miles (8 min/mile) but I felt grand after it :rolleyes:.

Have I left it too late to do the marathon:confused:?

Thanks a mill in advance for any reply!
    Ro

Hi guys,

I have been reading your thread for the last few hours and its so helpful. This is the first time I've posted anything but I was hoping someone could advise me on whether to sign up for the marathon.
    I have always run but considered myself as pretty useless. I am training for the 10 mile and half marathon at the minute and running about 5 times a week. I was hoping that I was kinda on target looking at the training plan you've all been doing but I see my LSR is a lot less than you guys. I did my longest LSR yesterday and it was only 10 miles (8 min/mile) but I felt grand after it :rolleyes:.

Have I left it too late to do the marathon:confused:?

Thanks a mill in advance for any reply!
    Ro

What kinda mileage have you been doing over your five runs a week? There is enough time to build up your long run if you wanted to do Dublin. Another alternative would be to build slower (putting less pressure on your body as you ramp the mileage up to quickly can increase risk of injury) and target a spring marathon
    I would recommend the second option personally but i think both are do able

Thanks for replying EColi!
    I'm doing approx 8 miles 2-3 times a week and then I would do 5 miles another night but at a faster pace. I'm thinking that I might try a 13-14 mile run this Sunday and see how I get on. If I'm comfortable with it, I think I might sign up. I'm kicking myself I didnt make a decision a month ago!

Thanks for replying EColi!
    I'm doing approx 8 miles 2-3 times a week and then I would do 5 miles another night but at a faster pace. I'm thinking that I might try a 13-14 mile run this Sunday and see how I get on. If I'm comfortable with it, I think I might sign up. I'm kicking myself I didnt make a decision a month ago!

Given your mileage (provided you have been doing it for more than 2-3 weeks) I see no reason why you couldnt manage to slot into a programme easy enough. Again personally would say wait and get more training in before attempting it but that is my opinion based on trying to attempt a marathon at optimum fitness

Yeah I know what you are saying. It's a toughie:-( I'll stay tuned on here and see how all you guys are getting on. Best a luck with your own training!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|3|16 miles|164 miles|3 short runs while in Barcalona, doing midlands half on Monday.. |
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|3|21|168|Missed out on one 3 mile run but really enjoyed my runs this week|
    Duckee|4|23m|80|Tired legs today after 10mile. tough week. |
    liamog|4|26.5 miles|115.1 miles|4 good sessions, checkpoint on Monday as I have entered the DLR Bay 10k, looking to break 50 mins for the first time|
    Concerned2|4|28.54m|284.87 miles|included a 14 mile LSR. Taking it easy this week to be fresh for the Streets of Galway race|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|5|40|192.7|had to skip Thurs 10 mile coz of shin splints but managing it ok (ice, strengthen,stretch, massage etc.). Did LSR without problems on Sunday|
    Mr Abbey|4|21m|86|Knee was better after 10m this week than last week - started foam roller for IT so hopefully will help|
    PDCAT|4|22.3m|91.9|| Found LSR 10.62Miles tougher than last week. Legs were little tired from previous weeks running.
    TomD101|5|26.8|99.3miles|11 mile LSR at 9 min pace. Ribs are still sore ;( tired now
    ShivDCM|4|27|113m|good week.|
    BobMac104|5|30.1|101.4|good week 13m LSR and a couple of PMP runs. my pacing is getting better i think|
    dylbert|4|22.5|119.5|tough run on Saturday, ran out of steam the last half mile|
    ger664|5|58 Kms| 109 Kms| Tried some speed work, but glute still too stiff. 10K Race Saturday, tough uphill start and finish not a PB course, but good for the specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|2|21|40| Tough week.
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|5|26|43|did 10k race on sat(56.27) happy with that time and then managed 8.7m LSR Sunday, legs very tired but feeling good|
    noeleoreid|2|22 kms|50 kms| 12km today, felt good but not used to running slow pace over long miles, something new to get used to|
    pulpo||40 km|150 km| yesterday there was test run in my training plan, 20km @ PMP (4:37 min/km), felt very good and avg HR was 162 (max. 200).|
    TiptoeMushroom||10km|104km since June 22nd. |Did the Bay 10k in Dún Laoghaire yesterday and got a PB of 56min! :)
    special1977|4|22 miles| ca emember total| hurt my knee dring my lsr..a bit swollen on the right hand side of my left knee..plenty RICE for me..no runnig for me this week :(
    mazken|4|24 miles|58 miles|happy with my LSR, no problems and was comfortable enough|
    [/QUOTE]

What time are you thinking of for the marathon? (Sorry if you've already told me)
    9 minute mile pace is quite fast for an LSR

• Advertisement

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||164 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|||168||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||284.87 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|||86||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    TomD101|5|26.8|99.3miles|11 mile LSR at 9 min pace. Ribs are still sore ;( tired now
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664||| 109 Kms||
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||40||
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    TiptoeMushroom|||104km since June 22nd. ||
    special1977||| ca emember total| |
    mazken|||58 miles||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Where are folks doing their long runs at the weekend? Its been noted that far fewer people from this thread are joining in the weekend long runs in the phoenix park that have done in previous years?

Personally I find the long runs really boring on my own, and cant imagine doing them on my own, so love the group runs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||164 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|4|29|197|Enjoyed my 15m LSR was chuffed longest run ever so far:)|
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|||86||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664||| 109 Kms||
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||40||
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    mazken|||58 miles||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kennjedy

Where are folks doing their long runs at the weekend? Its been noted that far fewer people from this thread are joining in the weekend long runs in the phoenix park that have done in previous years?

Personally I find the long runs really boring on my own, and cant imagine doing them on my own, so love the group runs smile.gif

Hi, I wouldn't mind joining in on the group runs - what time do you go ?

kennjedy wrote: »
    Hi, I wouldn't mind joining in on the group runs - what time do you go ?

Check in on this thread, but there's usually a gang starting at 9.00 from the car park in Phoenix Park on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||164 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|||86||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664||| 109 Kms||
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|||40||
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    mazken|5|23|81 miles|A comfortable week. Deviated a bit from plan and put in another easy session - have caught the running bug! Hope it lasts!!|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

mazken;73675804]Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|||164 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|||86||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664||| 109 Kms||
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|4|23.5|62|Easy enough week. But legs are very sore and tired. Holidays coming up so need to put in a tough week 4|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    mazken|5|23|81 miles|A comfortable week. Deviated a bit from plan and put in another easy session - have caught the running bug! Hope it lasts!!|

Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|6 m|3 m|rest|12 m|cross

Distance has gone up again, you'll be running 24 miles this week, so take them easy...

1. You need to eat right all through the week, to make sure you have enough energy for your runs. ecoli posted some tips a few posts up, they boil down to cutting out the crap and making the healthier choice - but not cutting down on your overall food intake.

2. If you're doing your long run in the morning, you need to have a good breakfast before you go out. That could be porridge, muesli, bagels... something with complex carbohydrates will provide a more consistent supply of energy through your run. Whatever you eat should be easy to digest, and you have to give it at least an hour to settle before your run. There's a certain amount of trial and error here - everyone has foods that they can't eat before a run, and some people need to leave a longer break before they run. The next 12 weeks are your time to experiment, so that on the marathon of the morning you know exactly what you should be eating.

3. Now that you're running a couple of hours and more on your long runs, you should start thinking about fueling on the run. For most people this means a carbohydrate gel, that you can pick up in most running or cycling shops. There are loads of different varieties, you need to try a few to see what works for you. (Last year I used the PowerBar gels, which seem to be the strongest, but a lot of people can't stomach them) Some gels need to be taken with water, others don't, so make sure you know which you're getting. If the gels don't work for you, you could try jelly beans, ride shots, bananas, sports drinks... whatever you can carry and eat without trouble.

4. When your run is over, you should try to eat as soon as possible. You have a window of about 20 minutes when your body is crying out for replacement carbs and will absorb them quickly, but if you miss that window the food is absorbed more slowly. Chocolate milk is a favourite post-run drink on here, but whatever healthy food you can get into you immediately is good.

You also need to be well-hydrated for these long runs. Again, this isn't just something to think about on the day of your run - you should be drinking plenty of water all through the week. But you will probably need to take in more water on your longer run. You can either carry the water with you - in a bottle belt, a bottle in your hand, or a camelbak - or stop off along the way. if you're running a loop past your house or your car, you can stop there on each loop. You can stop into a shop somewhere on your run, or you can go out before your run and stash bottles on your route.

So, what are you all doing for water and food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|5|46 Miles|210 miles|Huge PB in Midlands Half Monday - some aches and pains as a result all week, but no pain, no gain:eek:|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|||86||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664||| 109 Kms||
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|4|23.5|62|Easy enough week. But legs are very sore and tired. Holidays coming up so need to put in a tough week 4|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

Advertisement