Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|5|46 Miles|210 miles|Huge PB in Midlands Half Monday - some aches and pains as a result all week, but no pain, no gain:eek:|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|4|29|197|Enjoyed my 15m LSR was chuffed longest run ever so far:)|
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||284.87 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|||86||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    TomD101|5|26.8|99.3miles|11 mile LSR at 9 min pace. Ribs are still sore ;( tired now
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664||| 109 Kms||
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|4|23.5|62|Easy enough week. But legs are very sore and tired. Holidays coming up so need to put in a tough week 4|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    TiptoeMushroom|||104km since June 22nd. ||
    special1977||| ca emember total| |
    mazken|5|23|81 miles|A comfortable week. Deviated a bit from plan and put in another easy session - have caught the running bug! Hope it lasts!!|
    run44 (Aoife)|3|33m|247miles since May|Longest LSR ever this morning - 16miles! Good week, legs feeling strong|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

RayCun wrote: »
    1. You need to eat right all through the week, to make sure you have enough energy for your runs. ecoli posted some tips a few posts up, they boil down to cutting out the crap and making the healthier choice - but not cutting down on your overall food intake.

2. If you're doing your long run in the morning, you need to have a good breakfast before you go out. That could be porridge, muesli, bagels... something with complex carbohydrates will provide a more consistent supply of energy through your run. Whatever you eat should be easy to digest, and you have to give it at least an hour to settle before your run. There's a certain amount of trial and error here - everyone has foods that they can't eat before a run, and some people need to leave a longer break before they run. The next 12 weeks are your time to experiment, so that on the marathon of the morning you know exactly what you should be eating.

3. Now that you're running a couple of hours and more on your long runs, you should start thinking about fueling on the run. For most people this means a carbohydrate gel, that you can pick up in most running or cycling shops. There are loads of different varieties, you need to try a few to see what works for you. (Last year I used the PowerBar gels, which seem to be the strongest, but a lot of people can't stomach them) Some gels need to be taken with water, others don't, so make sure you know which you're getting. If the gels don't work for you, you could try jelly beans, ride shots, bananas, sports drinks... whatever you can carry and eat without trouble.

4. When your run is over, you should try to eat as soon as possible. You have a window of about 20 minutes when your body is crying out for replacement carbs and will absorb them quickly, but if you miss that window the food is absorbed more slowly. Chocolate milk is a favourite post-run drink on here, but whatever healthy food you can get into you immediately is good.

You also need to be well-hydrated for these long runs. Again, this isn't just something to think about on the day of your run - you should be drinking plenty of water all through the week. But you will probably need to take in more water on your longer run. You can either carry the water with you - in a bottle belt, a bottle in your hand, or a camelbak - or stop off along the way. if you're running a loop past your house or your car, you can stop there on each loop. You can stop into a shop somewhere on your run, or you can go out before your run and stash bottles on your route.

So, what are you all doing for water and food?

Thanks for the great post Ray.

I have been using a homemade choc milk (2 tbs of choc powder 1 of a whey protein) and finding it good. very easy to take aswell.

I bought a kinetica gel in a sports shop yesterday they are way bigger than i thought they would be. I thought they would be a small enough volume but i reckon it will take a few drinks (bites? does one eat or drink a gel??). I will try it today see how i find it. so far i havent been taking anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|5|46 Miles|210 miles|Huge PB in Midlands Half Monday - some aches and pains as a result all week, but no pain, no gain:eek:|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|||86||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    TomD101|5|26.8|99.3miles|11 mile LSR at 9 min pace. Ribs are still sore ;( tired now
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664||| 109 Kms||
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|4|23.5|62|Easy enough week. But legs are very sore and tired. Holidays coming up so need to put in a tough week 4|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    rom|5|26 miles|146 miles||
    mazken|5|23|81 miles|A comfortable week. Deviated a bit from plan and put in another easy session - have caught the running bug! Hope it lasts!!|
    run44 (Aoife)|3|33m|247miles since May|Longest LSR ever this morning - 16miles! Good week, legs feeling strong|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|||86||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664|4|51 Kms| 160 Kms| Nursing a twing so no running until next Tuesday |
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|4|18m|104miles|Good week - knee seems to be settling, fingers crossed, foam roller seems to be working!!|
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|||101.4||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

What time are you thinking of for the marathon? (Sorry if you've already told me)
    9 minute mile pace is quite fast for an LSR

Don't really know tbh RayCun.

What do you think? Maybe 3.45?

Did a 107km charity cycle yesterday on my off day!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Thanks Ray, bought some of the PowerBar gels and am going to try them this week on my 12 miler. How many do you recommend/use? Was thinking just one after about an hour or so? How do they usually affect people's stomachs - cramps and discomfort or possibly worse?

Also, with regard to water on lsr, when should you really start drinking if your going to out for two hours or so? Just trying to figure it into routes. So far have only been grabbing a bottle at around the hour mark - figuring that I'm hydrated enough before run and my lsr hasn't been too much longer so far and not really too much of issue.

Thanks.

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|||115.1 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|4|18m|104miles|Good week - knee seems to be settling, fingers crossed, foam roller seems to be working!!|
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|5|38.65m|140.05m|good week overall. 15m LSR was a total slog fest though from about 5 miles in. just one of those days.confidence took a big hit after it.Rest of the week was great infairness |
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TomD101 wrote: »
    Don't really know tbh RayCun.

What do you think? Maybe 3.45?

What kind of times are you getting in races?

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Thanks Ray, bought some of the PowerBar gels and am going to try them this week on my 12 miler. How many do you recommend/use? Was thinking just one after about an hour or so? How do they usually affect people's stomachs - cramps and discomfort or possibly worse?

Also, with regard to water on lsr, when should you really start drinking if your going to out for two hours or so? Just trying to figure it into routes. So far have only been grabbing a bottle at around the hour mark - figuring that I'm hydrated enough before run and my lsr hasn't been too much longer so far and not really too much of issue.

A gel and some water about halfway around is a good plan. There's not much point taking a gel when you're down to the last half-hour, because they can take a while to be absorbed. You should be taking it (and the water) before you feel you need it.

People can get cramps, wind, or an upset feeling in their stomach (and vomiting if its bad) from eating on the run. Gels can cause it, but I suppose anything you eat during a run is a potential problem.

I was talking to the guys in Amphibian King/Base2race about gels on Saturday. The caffeinated Power Bar gels are the strongest - the biggest kick, but also the most likely to upset you. The easiest ones to digest are probably the isogels, the ones you can take without water, but they're much weaker. There are a bunch of other brands somewhere in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

DCM have posted on Facebook that the High 5 Gels been provided this year will be the standard Gels,they will not contain caffeine and when questioned the are not the isotonic type. Gels will be supplied @ miles 15 & 19.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|3|22.2 Miles|137.3 miles|12 Mile LSR was hard yesterday after spending Saturday night in town|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    BobMac104|5|38.65m|140.05m|good week overall. 15m LSR was a total slog fest though from about 5 miles in. just one of those days.confidence took a big hit after it.Rest of the week was great infairness |
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|||43||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|3|22.2 Miles|137.3 miles|12 Mile LSR was hard yesterday after spending Saturday night in town|
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|||113m||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|4|21m|64m|doing ok, don't think i'll get full plan done this week as family wedding 2moro & I'm bridesmaid so no free time for a day or 2...but we'll see what i can fit in|
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

IT band is tightening up and its leading to a twinge in the back of my knee, so i'm hoping 2 get a weekly sports rub

1. You need to eat right all through the week, to make sure you have enough energy for your runs. ecoli posted some tips a few posts up, they boil down to cutting out the crap and making the healthier choice - but not cutting down on your overall food intake.

2. If you're doing your long run in the morning, you need to have a good breakfast before you go out. That could be porridge, muesli, bagels... something with complex carbohydrates will provide a more consistent supply of energy through your run. Whatever you eat should be easy to digest, and you have to give it at least an hour to settle before your run. There's a certain amount of trial and error here - everyone has foods that they can't eat before a run, and some people need to leave a longer break before they run. The next 12 weeks are your time to experiment, so that on the marathon of the morning you know exactly what you should be eating.

3. Now that you're running a couple of hours and more on your long runs, you should start thinking about fueling on the run. For most people this means a carbohydrate gel, that you can pick up in most running or cycling shops. There are loads of different varieties, you need to try a few to see what works for you. (Last year I used the PowerBar gels, which seem to be the strongest, but a lot of people can't stomach them) Some gels need to be taken with water, others don't, so make sure you know which you're getting. If the gels don't work for you, you could try jelly beans, ride shots, bananas, sports drinks... whatever you can carry and eat without trouble.

4. When your run is over, you should try to eat as soon as possible. You have a window of about 20 minutes when your body is crying out for replacement carbs and will absorb them quickly, but if you miss that window the food is absorbed more slowly. Chocolate milk is a favourite post-run drink on here, but whatever healthy food you can get into you immediately is good.

You also need to be well-hydrated for these long runs. Again, this isn't just something to think about on the day of your run - you should be drinking plenty of water all through the week. But you will probably need to take in more water on your longer run. You can either carry the water with you - in a bottle belt, a bottle in your hand, or a camelbak - or stop off along the way. if you're running a loop past your house or your car, you can stop there on each loop. You can stop into a shop somewhere on your run, or you can go out before your run and stash bottles on your route.

Thanks for that post Ray.

For my runs I've been taking one of those runners water bottles to get used to it. Hated it at first but was great to take a sip every few miles, even on short runs, when the throat gets dry. For longer runs, I can get about 8-10miles done before I have to refill the bottle. Usually I plan this by doing a lap that will bring me back to the car (my own little water station!) around the 8-10 mile mark, refill, have a gel if its a run above 13miles and set off on another lap. Have used Maxifuel Viper gels a couple of times for longer runs and found them to be good. Have ordered a few GU too to see what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    PDCAT|||91.9|||
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|4|21m|64m|doing ok, don't think i'll get full plan done this week as family wedding 2moro & I'm bridesmaid so no free time for a day or 2...but we'll see what i can fit in|
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    PDCAT|4|19.9m|111.8m|Stepback week. Finding the legs alittle heavy on the longer run's.|
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Hi Ray,

I'm sorry, new to this thread - what does "cross" entail on Sunday. I presume its cross training, just wondering what you had in mind.

I'm planning my first HM in Dublin in October and I am comfortable @ Half Marathon distance right now. A PB of 1:50:00.... Finding it hard to slow down my LSR's :) I'm following a training plan by Richard Cattle
    http://www.tri-planet.ie/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=categories&layout=listings&id=15

Although he didnt update it for this week yet :)

Just a word on Nutrition - it really is trial and error as you say. For Half Marathons, before the race, I take a "Gu" Gel for "food". The Blackberry one actually tastes nice. Mid Race (about 10k), I take a High 5 (Caffeinated) sachet for hydration with a mouthful of water (just cos it can taste weird sometimes). And maybe another at 13k. They have definitely made a difference to my last 5 KM where I typically finish strong.

Thanks - Muppet Man.

Cross training can be walking, swimming, or cycling... anything really. The exercise helps stop your legs from getting too stiff, and clears the waste products from your system. But avoid anything that's putting the same impact stresses on your legs. (I never plan any crosstraining, but I usually get out for a walk on my rest days)

Everyone has trouble slowing down their LSRs, but it's really important. If you look at the training logs from some of the faster runners around here, you'll see they do their easy runs much slower than marathon pace. It requires as much mental effort for them as for us - which is not a lot really, but you have to be conscious of your pace and not just let your legs run away with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Duckee|||80||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    PDCAT|4|19.9m|111.8m|Stepback week. Finding the legs alittle heavy on the longer run's.|
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

Took my name off the table. Unfortunately my injury isnt going to go away in time for Dublin. Best of luck everyone. I will still keep an eye on ye and give any advice I can from my limited experience of one very slow marathon 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Aww Bally8 i am gutted to hear that. I am really sorry. hope you are ok :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

PDCAT wrote: »
    meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Duckee|||80||
    cr17|3|15|116 miles|Hit a bit of a slump the last 2 weeks and didnt get as much miles in as i should have but feeling more focused again this week|
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

Sorry to hear that bally, best of luck in your healing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks guys, Im grand really. Hopefully if I get this sorted that might be the end of the injuries for a while and I can eventually run another marathon next year maybe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Concerned2

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Duckee|||80||
    Concerned2|3|17.83m|302.7 miles|Miserable total for this week but took a good taper for 1 of my A races (the streets of galway), no more races between now & DCM so back to big mileage this week|
    cr17|3|15|116 miles|Hit a bit of a slump the last 2 weeks and didnt get as much miles in as i should have but feeling more focused again this week|
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

How often should you take the gels and water? I was thinking about a gel every hour and a couple of mouthfuls of water every half hour. I will experiment this on my long runs but what would people in general do? Found This . Would that be about right?

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    How often should you take the gels and water? I was thinking about a gel every hour and a couple of mouthfuls of water every half hour. I will experiment this on my long runs but what would people in general do? Found This . Would that be about right?

That looks far too complicated for me :eek:
    On a training run between 16 and 20 miles, I'd take a gel 6-8 miles before the end of the run.
    In the marathon, I took gels at 6, 12, 18, and 21 miles - just before the water stations in each case, so I could wash them down.

That looks far too complicated for me :eek:
    On a training run between 16 and 20 miles, I'd take a gel 6-8 miles before the end of the run.
    In the marathon, I took gels at 6, 12, 18, and 21 miles - just before the water stations in each case, so I could wash them down.

Did you use a pack to carry the gels?

as worn by me and Eddie Izzard
    three in there, one in the pocket of my shorts.
    don't like waist belts, too bouncy

as worn by me and Eddie Izzard
    three in there, one in the pocket of my shorts.
    don't like waist belts, too bouncy

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for that - I hate the belts too so this may work for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Saturday morning Long Run being planned in this this thread here in the main forum..

9am, Papal Cross in the Phoenix Park - people doing different distances, so feel free to come and join in for a few miles [or 20!].

It also looks like there would be a group doing 10-10.30 min miles and a group doing 9-9.30 min miles - so dont think we will be sprinting around the place either.

Put your name down on the thread of you want to come along, so we can keep an eye out for you :cool:

Advertisement