Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Saturday morning Long Run being planned in this this thread here in the main forum..

9am, Papal Cross in the Phoenix Park - people doing different distances, so feel free to come and join in for a few miles [or 20!].

It also looks like there would be a group doing 10-10.30 min miles and a group doing 9-9.30 min miles - so dont think we will be sprinting around the place either.

Put your name down on the thread of you want to come along, so we can keep an eye out for you :cool:

What route do you usually take on these runs? Would you run on grass on paths or both? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

run44 wrote: »
    What route do you usually take on these runs? Would you run on grass on paths or both? Thanks.

Generally on paths but most have a grass trail running alongside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

run44 wrote: »

It's generally recommended that at a minimum your long run should be done on road/path so your legs are used to the impact it is going to feel in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

RayCun wrote: »
    What kind of times are you getting in races?

Haven't raced in a while, around 43 mins for 10k. Ran the 5 mile last year in 35 mins and one recently in 32mins.

Will be judging my marathon pace off the 10mile race time next week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TomD101 wrote: »
    Haven't raced in a while, around 43 mins for 10k. Ran the 5 mile last year in 35 mins and one recently in 32mins.

Will be judging my marathon pace off the 10mile race time next week

Oh, you're probably thinking in the 3.30 range though, so those 9 minute mile LSRs are fine. Cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

PDCAT wrote: »
    Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|5|46 Miles|210 miles|Huge PB in Midlands Half Monday - some aches and pains as a result all week, but no pain, no gain:eek:|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Bally8|||92.92 miles||
    Nules10|4|29|197|Enjoyed my 15m LSR was chuffed longest run ever so far:)|
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|3|22.2 Miles|137.3 miles|12 Mile LSR was hard yesterday after spending Saturday night in town|
    Concerned2|||284.87 miles||
    cr17|||89 miles||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|4|18m|104miles|Good week - knee seems to be settling, fingers crossed, foam roller seems to be working!!|
    PDCAT|4|19.9m|111.8m|Stepback week. Finding the legs alittle heavy on the longer run's.|
    TomD101|5|26.8|99.3miles|11 mile LSR at 9 min pace. Ribs are still sore ;( tired now
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    BobMac104|5|38.65m|140.05m|good week overall. 15m LSR was a total slog fest though from about 5 miles in. just one of those days.confidence took a big hit after it.Rest of the week was great infairness |
    dylbert|||119.5||
    ger664|4|51 Kms| 160 Kms| Nursing a twing so no running until next Tuesday |
    specialk1977|3|22miles|122| still nursing a slight niggle but enjoyed my 14 mile lsr thanks to an expresso an hour beforhand:D
    red face dave|4|23.5|62|Easy enough week. But legs are very sore and tired. Holidays coming up so need to put in a tough week 4|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|4|21m|64m|doing ok, don't think i'll get full plan done this week as family wedding 2moro & I'm bridesmaid so no free time for a day or 2...but we'll see what i can fit in|
    noeleoreid|||50 kms||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    rom|5|26 miles|146 miles||
    TiptoeMushroom|||104km since June 22nd. ||
    special1977||| ca emember total| |
    mazken|5|23|81 miles|A comfortable week. Deviated a bit from plan and put in another easy session - have caught the running bug! Hope it lasts!!|specialk1977|3|22miles| 14 mile lsr..slight niggle to knee..enjoyable week
    run44 (Aoife)|3|33m|247miles since May|Longest LSR ever this morning - 16miles! Good week, legs feeling strong|
    !!|specialk1977|3|22miles| 14 mile lsr..slight niggle to knee..enjoyable week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

Concerned2 wrote: »
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|5|46 Miles|210 miles|Huge PB in Midlands Half Monday - some aches and pains as a result all week, but no pain, no gain:eek:|
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|3|22.2 Miles|137.3 miles|12 Mile LSR was hard yesterday after spending Saturday night in town|
    Concerned2|3|17.83m|302.7 miles|Miserable total for this week but took a good taper for 1 of my A races (the streets of galway), no more races between now & DCM so back to big mileage this week|
    cr17|3|15|116 miles|Hit a bit of a slump the last 2 weeks and didnt get as much miles in as i should have but feeling more focused again this week|
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    Mr Abbey|4|18m|104miles|Good week - knee seems to be settling, fingers crossed, foam roller seems to be working!!|
    PDCAT|4|19.9m|111.8m|Stepback week. Finding the legs alittle heavy on the longer run's.|
    TomD101|5|26.8|99.3miles|11 mile LSR at 9 min pace. Ribs are still sore ;( tired now
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    BobMac104|5|38.65m|140.05m|good week overall. 15m LSR was a total slog fest though from about 5 miles in. just one of those days.confidence took a big hit after it.Rest of the week was great infairness |
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|4|23.5|62|Easy enough week. But legs are very sore and tired. Holidays coming up so need to put in a tough week 4|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|4|21m|64m|doing ok, don't think i'll get full plan done this week as family wedding 2moro & I'm bridesmaid so no free time for a day or 2...but we'll see what i can fit in|
    noeleoreid|4|6|27|picked up a nasty knee injury6 miles into run, had to walk the last 4 of the planned route, take a while to recover now, sad face|
    pulpo|||150 km||
    mazken|5|23|81 miles|A comfortable week. Deviated a bit from plan and put in another easy session - have caught the running bug! Hope it lasts!!|
    run44 (Aoife)|3|33m|247miles since May|Longest LSR ever this morning - 16miles! Good week, legs feeling strong|

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Duckee|||80||
    Concerned2|3|17.83m|302.7 miles|Miserable total for this week but took a good taper for 1 of my A races (the streets of galway), no more races between now & DCM so back to big mileage this week|
    cr17|3|15|116 miles|Hit a bit of a slump the last 2 weeks and didnt get as much miles in as i should have but feeling more focused again this week|
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|3|22|144|14 mile lsr..slight niggle to knee..enjoyable week
    galwayhooker|||||
    noeleoreid|4|6|27|picked up a nasty knee injury6 miles into run, had to walk the last 4 of the planned route, take a while to recover now, sad face|
    pulpo|||150 km||
    mazken|5|23|81 miles|A comfortable week. Deviated a bit from plan and put in another easy session - have caught the running bug! Hope it lasts!!|
    [/QUOTE]

Silly question lads, but ive seen marathon 'pacers' been mentioned on a few threads.... could someone please explain to me what this means?

noeleoreid wrote: »
    Silly question lads, but ive seen marathon 'pacers' been mentioned on a few threads.... could someone please explain to me what this means?

Basically they are runners who run a specific time at even pace (generally) as an assist to those trying to achieve a time (they are running well below their potential). Menoscemo for example is pacing 4:00 for DCM, he's one of four and they'll all have big balloons with their goal time on it. If you follow the balloons you don't have to worry about pace etc.

• Advertisement

great news for people who want to hit target times soo.. but why would anyone spend there time acting as a pacer for others, especially if they are running below there potential.. Are they being paid in some by others, like free entry to marathon are why would they bother? Just doin it out of an act of generosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Just doin it out of an act of generosity?

This one I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

great news for people who want to hit target times soo.. but why would anyone spend there time acting as a pacer for others, especially if they are running below there potential.. Are they being paid in some by others, like free entry to marathon are why would they bother? Just doin it out of an act of generosity?

You get to do the marathon for free and it's fun :D

Don't get paid, but always willing to accept the offer of pints from pacees after the race.

sounds class, so might just be following a 4 hr pacer myself if I can. Its people like this that make events like DCM a great exciting day out.!! Big up to them boys!!

sounds class, so might just be following a 4 hr pacer myself if I can. Its people like this that make events like DCM a great exciting day out.!! Big up to them boys!!

Make sure to introduce yourself before the race ;)

All the pacers for DCM are being organised from here on boards.ie A/R/T forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Duckee|||80||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    dylbert|||119.5||
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    TiptoeMushroom|||104km since June 22nd. | Very sore left ankle since last week. Going to go for a small light jog this evening and see how it holds up!|

Fingers crossed the ankle is better and the small run tonight gets me back into it.

Feeling stressed as don't want to miss any more training!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

meijin|||94 miles||
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Duckee|||80||
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||192.7||
    ShivDCM|4|23|136m||
    dylbert|4|18|137.5|7m on Saturday was easy enough, big jump to 12m this week|
    specialk1977|||122|
    galwayhooker|||||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    TiptoeMushroom|||104km since June 22nd. | Very sore left ankle since last week. Going to go for a small light jog this evening and see how it holds up!|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

menoscemo wrote: »

Sounds like you're going to be busy doing a meet and greet before the off :D. I'll hopefully be following you too

The pacers will also have a stand at the Expo before the marathon, so you'll be able to meet them there and ask any questions you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Sounds like you're going to be busy doing a meet and greet before the off :D. I'll hopefully be following you too

Me too hopefully ! if I get four hours Id gladly buy ye a pint!
    The pacers will also have a stand at the Expo before the marathon, so you'll be able to meet them there and ask any questions you might have.

Ah thats cool. In Fairness it is a great thing that they do! would they be using it as part of their own training. like would it be a LSR for some of them?

• Advertisement

Pacing is great fun, you get to run a race soaking up the atmosphere with none of the pressures of the race and there's a buzz off of helping people achieve their goals.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Me too hopefully ! if I get four hours Id gladly buy ye a pint!

If you get through 4 hours with Meno, I'll buy you a pint ;):pac:

I think most of the pacers have their goal marathon before Dublin - Berlin, Chicago, places like that - or don't have a goal marathon at all. I don't think any of them are using it as a training run.

I think most of the pacers have their goal marathon before Dublin - Berlin, Chicago, places like that - or don't have a goal marathon at all. I don't think any of them are using it as a training run.

In saying that Meno's running the Longford Marathon in training for Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pulpo

Is 3.15 etc. pacer running 3.15 their own chip time or finishing time? Sometimes there is big difference between those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

pulpo wrote: »
    Is 3.15 etc. pacer running 3.15 their own chip time or finishing time? Sometimes there is big difference between those times.

3:15 (really 3:14:30 is what a pacer would run) chip time.

pulpo wrote: »

Pacers always run to chip time, so if you are planning on using a pacer, start beside or slightly behind them.

And they will run even splits all the way around. The 4 hour pacers, for example, will try to run every mile in exactly the same time (9.02?). They won't bank time in the first half, or plan to go slower on the hills.

And they will run even splits all the way around. The 4 hour pacers, for example, will try to run every mile in exactly the same time (9.02?). They won't bank time in the first half, or plan to go slower on the hills.

4 hour pacing is 9'09 per mile but usually you'll run 9'04/ 9'05 by the garmin becauase you never run the perfect racing line (DCM normally ends up as 26.4miles by the Garmin).

We'll aim to be something like 1'59:30- 1'59:50 through half way.

We may go a little slower on the uphills (even effort) but pick the time straight back up on the downhills. You are only talking a few seconds here or there per mile anyway. There are only two 'hills' on the DCM course anyway- coming out of Chapelizod at mile 9 and Roebuck hill at mile 21, neither last longer than a quarter of a mile and are followed by downhills/flat, so neither will affect the mile splits significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

menoscemo wrote: »

What are the different pacers for the day.........i think i'll tag along with one of the groups

Advertisement