Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Anyway, I was wondering that if I gave it a week or two to settle down, would it have a significant effect on my training at this stage ? What is the best non-impact exercise to do in the meantime?

If it is PF, then I've heard that cycling isn't the best - the cycling motion can stretch the muscle at the heel which is the problem area. Swimming is always a good option though. In terms of treatment, a popular one is to roll a golf ball under the arch of your foot - it's one of the few ways to massage that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Is there a list of the pacers doing whatever times this year, I cant find it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

catweazle wrote: »
    Is there a list of the pacers doing whatever times this year, I cant find it anywhere?

There's a list in the pacers' forum. I'll see if they mind me posting it in public...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ger664 wrote: »
    I do not know what plan you are following but at a min there should be a drop back/recovery week in the LSR/Overall mileage every 3-4 weeks. So what ever is on your schedule for this week's LSR make it 10 miles or so and give yourself a wee bit of a break.

erm...I didn't have a 'formal' plan until last week :o. I was just trying to increase my mileage. I then got one of the HH plans and that doesn't have me doing a drop back until next weekend. This is the first time following a formal plan, should they be followed as gospel or are they flexible ?
    macinalli wrote:
    If it is PF, then I've heard that cycling isn't the best - the cycling motion can stretch the muscle at the heel which is the problem area. Swimming is always a good option though. In terms of treatment, a popular one is to roll a golf ball under the arch of your foot - it's one of the few ways to massage that area.

That's great as I haven't got a bike :D. Actually I don't have a swimming pool either...I've just been icing it over the past few evenings. I'll rest it for a few days and see how I get on. Will look up the local pools to see what's available. thx!

3:00 (Having previously ran sub 2:48)
    TheRoadRunner
    1 more confirmed

3:15 (Having previously ran sub 2:56)
    Krusty Clown
    Village Runner
    LeCheile

3:30 (Having previously ran sub 3:06)
    liamo123
    TFBubendorfer
    SureWhyNot
    Grellan

3:45 (Having previously ran sub 3:19)
    Corkrunning
    Brianderunner
    Macanri
    shotgunMCOS

4:00 (Having previously ran sub 3:30)
    Oisin11718
    ChristyB
    Menoscemo
    Jackyback

4:15 (Having previously ran sub 3:45)
    RunningCoach
    KandiKane
    sbp100

4:30 (Having previously run sub 4:00)
    WallyRuns
    Izoard
    Ultraman
    ger664

5:00 (having previously ran sub 4:15)
    clareman07
    John O'L
    jonny99

(the 'having previously ran' is their qualification for being a pacer. for example,clareman07 has run at least one recent marathon faster than 4.15, so the organisers are confident in his ability to run a steady 5.00 pace)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »

(clareman07 has run at least one recent marathon faster than 4.15, so the organisers are confident in his ability to run a steady 5.00 pace)

Clareman07 has run sub 4 this year and also paced 5 hours in Cork in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KEV66

Hi, just joined this thread. I'm running Dublin Marathon, and 10 ml on Sat. Into wk 8 of plan, due to do 15 LSR this Weekend. Have been covering these between 8.45-9.15 pace on average. Also ran 5 K Sun last just over 20 mins and recent 5ml in under 34 mins. Covering 30-35 mls per week at present. Getting out 4 days. I'm 44 and reasonably good shape. Need to know what Marathon pace to aim for. Estimating 3.40-3.45. For Sat 10 mile, is 72 mins unreasonable?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Clareman07 has run sub 4 this year and also paced 5 hours in Cork in June.

yeah, just using him as an example to explain how people qualify to pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

KEV66 wrote: »
    Hi, just joined this thread. I'm running Dublin Marathon, and 10 ml on Sat. Into wk 8 of plan, due to do 15 LSR this Weekend. Have been covering these between 8.45-9.15 pace on average. Also ran 5 K Sun last just over 20 mins and recent 5ml in under 34 mins. Covering 30-35 mls per week at present. Getting out 4 days. I'm 44 and reasonably good shape. Need to know what Marathon pace to aim for. Estimating 3.40-3.45. For Sat 10 mile, is 72 mins unreasonable?

based on your times, your LSR pace sounds ok and 3'45 seems a reasonable target.

Best of luck with it!

KEV66 wrote: »

72 sounds about right for the 10, based on your 5 mile time. If you make that time (and a good time in the half, if you're doing it) you could target a faster time in the marathon.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    based on your times, your LSR pace sounds ok and 3'45 seems a reasonable target.

Best of luck with it!

Cheers for that. Have been looking at the usual runner sites for prediction times. But can't relate these short race times to Marathon time. Hopefully 10 mile on Sat and the Half in Park will blend in well with next 10 odd weeks of training.

72 sounds about right for the 10, based on your 5 mile time. If you make that time (and a good time in the half, if you're doing it) you could target a faster time in the marathon.

Thanks for that . Yeah, just want to make sure i don't go off too fast in 10 miler on Sat. Want to settle down after 1st mile, and run steady then. I'm doin' the Half in September. Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

erm...I didn't have a 'formal' plan until last week :o. I was just trying to increase my mileage. I then got one of the HH plans and that doesn't have me doing a drop back until next weekend. This is the first time following a formal plan, should they be followed as gospel or are they flexible ?

While plans should be followed pretty much as you also have to take into account everyday life will get in the way. As your last 4 LSR's have be in the mid teens I think you would be better served with a shortish LSR of 10 miles this weekend and then continue with the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

4,6,4 done so far this week, relax now till race on sat. Hoping for 80mins, that would be a 10 min improvement on last year.
    Good Luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Krusty, Le Cheile, Village Runner - I hope to be with you in body, mind and spirit for the first 20 miles. After that I just hope I'm with you in body.
    Any chance one of you would carry my gels for me? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Krusty, Le Cheile, Village Runner - I hope to be with you in body, mind and spirit for the first 20 miles. After that I just hope I'm with you in body
    d 3 lads hope patrick_k is a hot chick:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Concerned2

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|3|16 Miles|226 miles|Very disrupted week due to injury to left knee :mad: |
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Nules10|4|32.83|229|Feeling pretty chuffed right now. great week :)|
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|4|29.7|167.0 miles|14 Miles from O'Connell St through Phoenix Park and back home was fun|
    Concerned2|5|36.81m|339.51 miles|Inc LSR of 16 miles with the last 3 @ pmp which was awfully tough|
    cr17|5|29 miles|145 miles|Very good week, feeling good, looking forward to race @ weekend|
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|||231.3||
    Mr Abbey|4|24m|128miles||
    PDCAT|4|25.8|137.6m|Tempo and 12M LSR went very well this well. Felt like i could have ran couple miles more. Slight stiffness/sore in right calf. Need to watch this.
    TomD101|4|24miles|127.1miles since 04/07| LSR 9 miles in Killarney National park, 10min pace, had to stop after 9 for fear of puking Jagermeister. Did a 107km cycle the previous Sunday|
    ShivDCM|4|31|167m||
    BobMac104|4|41m|181.05m|tough 15m LSR again. Had a great 10mile PMP run though. |
    dylbert|4|14.5|119.5|Had to cut the miles back this week because of injury, didn't do the LSR|
    ger664||| 160 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|3|21|83|Good hard run this morning hill running. Now off on holidays hope to do a bit out there|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|4|24m|88m|good week, played about a bit with the distances as in 3m, 5m, 4m, 12m, but same overall total for the week...|
    noeleoreid|||27||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    rom|5|36m|182.12 miles|LSR 14m|
    TiptoeMushroom|||104km since June 22nd. | |
    special1977|0|0|122|hamstring strain..getting really frustrated now with these injuries|
    mazken|4|27.5|108.5 miles|Good week again and it's nice to know that the miles in the legs are clocking up too|
    run44 (Aoife)|4|31.3m|278.3m total|Good week, but looking forward to a rest day tomorrow!|
    jamesmurphy1|||240miles|could not finish LSR yesterday stopped at 14 disappointed|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Hey can someone advise me on runners and when to change them. I got a gait analysis done in October and i have been doing all my training in these runners. So i am thinking do i need to change them before the marathon and if so should i get a new pair now and start wearing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Now is a good time to change 2 months out. You can either get the whole gait thing done again or if you're happy with what you have, buy a new pair of them. Everyone will tell you different things but just go with what you're happy yourself.

Gradually wear them in, start at 2 miles or wear them round the house for an hour in the evening to get your feet used to them. It will be a bit wired. By marathon day, i would always have at least 100 miles done in the shoes i'm going to wear on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

chinguetti wrote: »
    Now is a good time to change 2 months out. You can either get the whole gait thing done again or if you're happy with what you have, buy a new pair of them. Everyone will tell you different things but just go with what you're happy yourself.

Gradually wear them in, start at 2 miles or wear them round the house for an hour in the evening to get your feet used to them. It will be a bit wired. By marathon day, i would always have at least 100 miles done in the shoes i'm going to wear on the day.

Thats great thanks a mil. I was kinda thinking the same of havin them well worn in by october.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

I,m in the same boat with regard new runners, have done about 300 miles in current ones and with approx another 300 miles to do including the mararthon, think its time to get another pair and just gradually ease into the new pair so as they have about 150 miles in them by Oct 31st.

Using the Saucony Kinvara, think I,ll get them again. Not eveyones cup of tea for long distance running but suiting me just fine.

It's a good idea to have a second pair of runners anyway, because they'll last longer if they're rotated.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

ultraman1 wrote: »
    d 3 lads hope patrick_k is a hot chick:D

I can just picture the disappointment on their little faces! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Just back from the physio, I have ITB syndrome, have to take a week off :(

dylbert wrote: »

Don't worry, you can cope with a week or two off during the training - most people miss some sessions along the way. When you can start back, don't jump in too hard and try to make up lost time.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    meijin|||94 miles||
    Vagga|3|16 Miles|226 miles|Very disrupted week due to injury to left knee :mad: |
    shels4ever|||not sure||
    Nules10|4|32.83|229|Feeling pretty chuffed right now. great week :)|
    Duckee|||80||
    liamog|4|29.7|167.0 miles|14 Miles from O'Connell St through Phoenix Park and back home was fun|
    Concerned2|5|36.81m|339.51 miles|Inc LSR of 16 miles with the last 3 @ pmp which was awfully tough|
    cr17|5|29 miles|145 miles|Very good week, feeling good, looking forward to race @ weekend|
    Rider|||113m||
    Househunter|5|50.2|281.5|Felt so much better this week. Shin splints seem to be all but gone but I'll keep up the preventative measures|
    Mr Abbey|4|24m|128miles||
    PDCAT|4|25.8|137.6m|Tempo and 12M LSR went very well this well. Felt like i could have ran couple miles more. Slight stiffness/sore in right calf. Need to watch this.
    TomD101|4|24miles|127.1miles since 04/07| LSR 9 miles in Killarney National park, 10min pace, had to stop after 9 for fear of puking Jagermeister. Did a 107km cycle the previous Sunday|
    ShivDCM|4|31|167m||
    BobMac104|4|41m|181.05m|tough 15m LSR again. Had a great 10mile PMP run though. |
    dylbert|4|14.5|119.5|Had to cut the miles back this week because of injury, didn't do the LSR|
    ger664||| 160 Kms| |
    specialk1977|||122|
    red face dave|3|21|83|Good hard run this morning hill running. Now off on holidays hope to do a bit out there|
    galwayhooker|||||
    Younganne|4|24m|88m|good week, played about a bit with the distances as in 3m, 5m, 4m, 12m, but same overall total for the week...|
    noeleoreid|||27||
    pulpo|||150 km||
    rom|5|36m|182.12 miles|LSR 14m|
    TiptoeMushroom|||104km since June 22nd. | |
    special1977|0|0|122|hamstring strain..getting really frustrated now with these injuries|
    mazken|4|27.5|108.5 miles|Good week again and it's nice to know that the miles in the legs are clocking up too|
    run44 (Aoife)|4|31.3m|278.3m total|Good week, but looking forward to a rest day tomorrow!|
    jamesmurphy1|||240miles|could not finish LSR yesterday stopped at 14 disappointed|
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Don't worry, you can cope with a week or two off during the training - most people miss some sessions along the way. When you can start back, don't jump in too hard and try to make up lost time.

was looking forward to the 10 mile race in the park on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dylbert wrote: »

Be very careful with that - do all the exercises your physio has recommended for you, and learn to love your foam roller. Had a very nasty bout of this earlier this year, it is a very frustrating injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Question for all,

No medical advice just head scratching.

Last year i had problems with lower leg and achilles...........BUT this year after a LSR its my quads that are sore for 2 days after:confused::confused:

I'm confused.

Oh dose this week so 10 miler on sat doesn't look good. Might do a LSR at home on sundat before i head down to Galway for the week.

Really looking forward to running along the front in Salthill:)

• Advertisement

Patrick_K wrote: »
    I can just picture the disappointment on their little faces! ;-)

Pat, boy will they be disappointed. I thought that all your mileage/pace midweek would have you in Sub 3 group, not TB's gang.

Advertisement