Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

i ordered one myself aswell yesterday. amazon for 97 pounds. hoping it will get here by the weekend though as i am off on holidays and it would be very handy.

I resisted getting one long enough thinking that all the great runners never had access to one, but i caved as they seem to be very handy for someone training on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

@BobMac104, I know what you mean about all the great and elite runners never having them but I used to use my iphone in an armstrap using a running app to figure out how far I ran - I am not from Dublin and am not sure of the distances around where I live.

But it started chaffing on longer runs and I would favour using my other arm and them started to get pain in the one shoulder etc etc.

So basically its great for long runs so you know how far you are going and that you are not going too fast on those LSRs!

Plus, my boyfriend bought mine and they don't come cheap so I really am motivated to get loads of use from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

@BobMac104, I know what you mean about all the great and elite runners never having them but I used to use my iphone in an armstrap using a running app to figure out how far I ran - I am not from Dublin and am not sure of the distances around where I live.

But it started chaffing on longer runs and I would favour using my other arm and them started to get pain in the one shoulder etc etc.

So basically its great for long runs so you know how far you are going and that you are not going too fast on those LSRs!

Plus, my boyfriend bought mine and they don't come cheap so I really am motivated to get loads of use from it :)

Yeah, I've been using the iPhone with RunKeeper but I find on the LSRs the battery dies near the end of the run. Plus, from everything I've read comparing Garmin and RunKeeper, the consensus seems to be that Garmin is more accurate.

run44 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been using the iPhone with RunKeeper but I find on the LSRs the battery dies near the end of the run. Plus, from everything I've read comparing Garmin and RunKeeper, the consensus seems to be that Garmin is more accurate.

RunKeeper was good for what it was - a free iphone app.
    What really got on my nerves was the way the phone would ring or text messages and emails would come through the whole time, and you can't put it on aeroplane mode as the runkeeper app needed the GPS to work!

You will love your Garmin! :)

I reckon its a smart move overall.

Id like to think (hopefully) that i wont become addicted to it as some people seem to be. at the end of the day. I like just running too and would hate to think that id get obsessed with times and splits and would be able to leave it at home for easy runs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

BobMac104 wrote: »
    I reckon its a smart move overall.

Id like to think (hopefully) that i wont become addicted to it as some people seem to be. at the end of the day. I like just running too and would hate to think that id get obsessed with times and splits and would be able to leave it at home for easy runs etc.

Good luck with that! :pac:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Good luck with that! :pac:

really? ugh.

I really enjoy those runs when you are just off in your own world (then you get tired and snap out of it:pac:)

now i have images of this red grandfather clock on my wrist shouting "your running too slow.....!!!!!" and me after my run looking at my computer going ah... that split was out ten seconds....

on the other hand it will be great motivation during tough sessions.

really? ugh.

I really enjoy those runs when you are just off in your own world (then you get tired and snap out of it:pac:)

now i have images of this red grandfather clock on my wrist shouting "your running too slow.....!!!!!" and me after my run looking at my computer going ah... that split was out ten seconds....

on the other hand it will be great motivation during tough sessions.

I must admit - I bring it out on small runs too.
    Its great to see on the garminconnect website how many KM you do per week etc.
    Just dont over analyse it :)

I find it's great in a race, anytime I start to flag the demon on my arm tells me so and I dig deeper. I just need to figure out some way to hang it from my cap as it affects my form having my arm out in front of me all the time :rolleyes:

I find it's great in a race, anytime I start to flag the demon on my arm tells me so and I dig deeper. I just need to figure out some way to hang it from my cap as it affects my form having my arm out in front of me all the time :rolleyes:

haha!

sunglasses (clear glasses for ireland) with a head up display of you pace time and HRM! you would never have to look at you wrist again. ........off to dragons den...

• Advertisement

haha!

sunglasses (clear glasses for ireland) with a head up display of you pace time and HRM! you would never have to look at you wrist again. ........off to dragons den...

I'm in for 10 bob!

10 pairs of sunglasses
    10 euro investment
    or 10% of the company???

10 pairs of sunglasses
    10 euro investment
    or 10% of the company???

10 bob Bob! :D

10 bob Bob! :D

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||232 miles|Not forgotten by a long shot, injured, zero running last week or this week to come|
    Nules10|4| 37|294.5|18m LSR this week. Last 4 miles were tough enough but still feel good :) |
    liamog|1|4|203.7 miles|Recovered from an injury so only 1 run better now so should be back on track|
    Concerned2|4|37.66m|405.74 miles|Including an 18m LSR which I found awfully tough|
    cr17|| |167 miles| |
    Househunter| | |330.7 miles| |
    Mr Abbey|2|10|164miles| Had to skip 2 runs with ankle problem! icon9.gif Hopefully minor setback!|
    PDCAT|3 |19|180.6m| Step back week. Also missed one run due to sore right shin. Ran 4 mile race on Saturday. Ready to up mileage next week.
    TomD101| | |138.1miles since 04/07| |
    ShivDCM|4|32|226m||
    BobMac104|5 |47.5m |270.05 |tought week and I feel every bit of it this morning. 17m LSR was a slog from 4 m out. Felt very strong on my midweek runs.|red face dave|3|17|100|back from holidays and then got sick but back and ready to go|
    Younganne|3|15m |127m|missed 10m LSR this weekend due to IT band problems and overall legs very tired and sore so hoping for a better week this week|
    rom| 4|16m |235.16 miles|only managed 3 miles of 13 of lsr due to leg pain :( |
    TiptoeMushroom|3|28km |163km since June 22nd. | Just back from my 18km LSR, feel great, ankle better! :) |
    special1977| | |122| |
    mazken| 4|24.7 |159.8 miles|A good step back week, badly needed after last week. Feeling better, all good!! |
    run44 (Aoife)|3|27.1|330.7m total|Did my 15m LSR on Friday due to weekend plans. Good week despite missing one planned short run|
    jamesmurphy1|||240miles| |
    dylbert|||128.5||
    maggiemissy|4|24|176 miles||
    specialk1977|0|0|122| still out with hamstring..jesus im cracking up..dont know if I will make Dub at all ..gonna test again this eve:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||232 miles|Not forgotten by a long shot, injured, zero running last week or this week to come|
    Nules10|4| 37|294.5|18m LSR this week. Last 4 miles were tough enough but still feel good :) |
    liamog|1|4|203.7 miles|Recovered from an injury so only 1 run better now so should be back on track|
    Concerned2|4|37.66m|405.74 miles|Including an 18m LSR which I found awfully tough|
    cr17|| |167 miles| |
    Househunter| | |330.7 miles| |
    Mr Abbey|2|10|164miles| Had to skip 2 runs with ankle problem! icon9.gif Hopefully minor setback!|
    PDCAT|3 |19|180.6m| Step back week. Also missed one run due to sore right shin. Ran 4 mile race on Saturday. Ready to up mileage next week.
    TomD101| | |138.1miles since 04/07| |
    ShivDCM|4|32|226m||
    BobMac104|5 |47.5m |270.05 |tought week and I feel every bit of it this morning. 17m LSR was a slog from 4 m out. Felt very strong on my midweek runs.|red face dave|3|17|100|back from holidays and then got sick but back and ready to go|
    Younganne|3|15m |127m|missed 10m LSR this weekend due to IT band problems and overall legs very tired and sore so hoping for a better week this week|
    rom| 4|16m |235.16 miles|only managed 3 miles of 13 of lsr due to leg pain :( |
    TiptoeMushroom|3|28km |163km since June 22nd. | Just back from my 18km LSR, feel great, ankle better! :) |
    special1977| | |122| |
    mazken| 4|24.7 |159.8 miles|A good step back week, badly needed after last week. Feeling better, all good!! |
    run44 (Aoife)|3|27.1|330.7m total|Did my 15m LSR on Friday due to weekend plans. Good week despite missing one planned short run|
    jamesmurphy1|||240miles| |
    dylbert|||128.5||
    maggiemissy|4|24|176 miles||
    specialk1977|0|0|122| still out with hamstring..jesus im cracking up..dont know if I will make Dub at all ..gonna test again this eve :(|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm in a small minority i fear but i don't have a Garmin. I know they are a great thing for training and what you've done at what pace but people seem to become hooked on them.

I have a basic stopwatch and just go out and run around 4 evenings a week and base what pace i go on by feel. If the legs are not liking it, i rein it in a bit. If the body is fine, i power on.

Over relying on the Garmin (or anything like a training plan) is a dangerous thing i've discovered as it can decide what pace to run at, not what you want to run at on that given run.

Anyway, whatever the watch says its 60 days to a marathon. Safe running.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I did Longford 1/2 on Sunday in 1:54:56 and did Dublin Marathon last year in 4:30- I am doing the Phoenix Park 1/2 on Sept 17 - Did I hear there are 1:50 pacers - Would that be a bit quick for me - I am hoping to do the marathon this year in 3:59:59. Training has been going well but trying to go under 1:55 (my target) thisSunday took it out of my legs a bit and I am resting them in ice water as I type as I struggled with 8 miles today. I did have a negative split of 90 seconds so I think there could be a little more in the tank and I ran without Gels/energy drinks. I am doing 17 miles this sunday and 18 next so the 1/2 is my step back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jimh wrote: »
    I am doing the Phoenix Park 1/2 on Sept 17 - Did I hear there are 1:50 pacers - Would that be a bit quick for me - I am hoping to do the marathon this year in 3:59:59.

If you're going for sub-4 then you should be aiming for 1.50 or faster in the half. But it won't be a step-back week!

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'm in a small minority i fear but i don't have a Garmin. I know they are a great thing for training and what you've done at what pace but people seem to become hooked on them.

I have a basic stopwatch and just go out and run around 4 evenings a week and base what pace i go on by feel. If the legs are not liking it, i rein it in a bit. If the body is fine, i power on.

Over relying on the Garmin (or anything like a training plan) is a dangerous thing i've discovered as it can decide what pace to run at, not what you want to run at on that given run.

Anyway, whatever the watch says its 60 days to a marathon. Safe running.

you're right chinguetti.

however so far i find myself running way too fast (because as you say the legs feel good) on my midweek runs which takes away from my long run and i suffer then (and probably risk injury). Even tonight, I went out for an easy 8 and did it faster than my pmp. crazy stuff really. same again last night. last week i said id do a ten mile PMP run ended up doin it in 83 minutes. totally stupid pace for a guy training to do a 4 hour marathon. Dont get me wrong I felt feckin marvelous during and after it and really enjoyed it. Come my 17m lsr however i felt great up to 13m then que the slog fest home... not good and a real knock to the confidence.

I was looking to just get a decent sports watch with a lap function but at 97 pound i said the garmin was worth it if it could help me to run smarter.

I usually run alone and i am not part of a club so i hope that it will help me get the most from my efforts and help stay uninjured.

I am gonna try to leave it at home on days when its not need and i hope i dont become addicted as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jimh wrote: »
    Did I hear there are 1:50 pacers - Would that be a bit quick for me -

Yeah Myself Jackyback and Macanri will be pacing 1'50 in the half. I think we all met you in the George Payne in Barcelona (before the lights went out ;)) so you should recognise us (not that the massive balloons will give us away or anything :pac:).

You may aswell give it a go, you won't know if you dont try.....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

Thanks - I will be hoping to stay with you in the Marathon as well - Yeah I was in the George Payne but the training has been going a lot better than it did for Barcelona and I have been doing 51 and 52 min 10 kilometre runs in training once a week as well to try and get my pace up.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

It will be my longest ever as well! I just am in love with my new Garmin so am mad eager to take it out on a long run.

Hoping to get it done in 2h 39min.

Thats 6min 38 per km.

Fingers crossed!

I'll keep the fingers crossed :) Looking forward to reading about it on next week's table! best of luck and enjoy the garmin....might look into getting one - the arguments here are pretty convincing!!

Hi, just wondering if someone could give me a bit of feedback on my LSR plans for the coming weeks? Looking to get two 20 milers in.

At the moment, the plan looks like this:

Sept 3rd - 18 miles
    Sept 10th - 16 miles
    Sept 17 - Half-marathon
    Sept 24th - 20 miles (low milage mid-week before the 20)
    Oct 1st - 12 miles
    Oct 8th - 20 miles
    Oct 15th - 12 miles
    Oct 22nd - 8 miles
    Oct 29th - 2 miles

Thanks guys!

Hi, just wondering if someone could give me a bit of feedback on my LSR plans for the coming weeks? Looking to get two 20 milers in.

At the moment, the plan looks like this:

Sept 3rd - 18 miles
    Sept 10th - 16 miles
    Sept 17 - Half-marathon
    Sept 24th - 20 miles (low milage mid-week before the 20)
    Oct 1st - 12 miles
    Oct 8th - 20 miles
    Oct 15th - 12 miles
    Oct 22nd - 8 miles
    Oct 29th - 2 miles

Thanks guys!

Why low mileage before the 20? Your midweek runs are the backbone of the program, HH builds to peak mileage both midweek and the LSR simultaneously.

Why low mileage before the 20? Your midweek runs are the backbone of the program, HH builds to peak mileage both midweek and the LSR simultaneously.

Well, I was thinking to have three 5 mile runs after the half-marathon and before the 20 mile LSR to recover somewhat! However, if this isn't necessary, I could do the 5, 8, 5 per the plan?

Well, I was thinking to have three 5 mile runs after the half-marathon and before the 20 mile LSR to recover somewhat! However, if this isn't necessary, I could do the 5, 8, 5 per the plan?

Just run slower during the week if you're still feeling the half, getting the miles in is more important. (Unless of course you risk injury)

Just run slower during the week if you're still feeling the half, getting the miles in is more important. (Unless of course you risk injury)

Great, thanks for the advice! Getting cautious about pushing it too far now, don't want to injure myself at this stage!

Great, thanks for the advice! Getting cautious about pushing it too far now, don't want to injure myself at this stage!

No problem, I'm sure Ray will have more to say but that was the thing that struck me. Good Luck with your training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

No problem, I'm sure Ray will have more to say .

Not really :)
    The Higdon plan has 4,9,5 before the first 18 miler, and 5,10,5 before the 20 miler. There's no drop off in the midweek miles until the taper starts.

Advertisement