Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks Ultraman1, i was thinking of a warm up of 1-1.5 m as it takes me nearly 2.5 to warm up properly and settle into a run,. don't know if i'd be fit to do any cool down as it will be a flat out race, not too many competitors and i think its usually won in something like 22min (i stand to be corrected there, but lot faster than me, i hope to bet my last yrs time of 33mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|2|9 miles|241 miles|Coming back from annoying 4 week injury - glad to be able to get back out there. Another easy week for me now, building things back up|
    Nules10|4|35 |329.5|Good sessions this week but legs felt heavy was glad of the step back week|
    liamog|3|31.5|233.5 miles|Good pace for the 24km LSR sped up for the last 5km to planned marathon pace feeling good but a little stiff, starting the Girl on couch to 5k tomorrow on my off days |
    Concerned2|5|34.59m|440.33 miles|Plan had no long runs pencilled in for the past week.Have to do a 20 miler this weekend though euk!|
    cr17|| |167 miles| |
    Househunter| | |330.7 miles| |
    Mr Abbey|4|13m|177miles|Also building back from - 13m + cross training|
    PDCAT|4 |30.4m|211m| Ran 15 miles LSR - Longest run ever. Felt good until about 13 miles, then legs were heavy but always felt i would finish it ok.
    TomD101|2 | 21|200since 04/07|working in London all week so only squeezed 2 runs in. 14 miles in 1hr 49 mins last night |
    ShivDCM|4|35|261m||
    BobMac104| | |270.05 ||
    red face dave|||100||
    Younganne|4|30.5|157.5m|16m LSR in 2 hr 45 that's 11.05 pace so very happy with that although the first half was too slow and the 2nd half was too fast so have to work on trying to keep a more even pace. legs were fine after the run|
    rom|5 |41 |276.34 miles| 17m LSR went good 2hrs 25mins|
    TiptoeMushroom|3|36.5km |199.5km since June 22nd. | 23.67km LSR this morning. Took me 2h31min. happy out. Injury free :) |
    special1977| | |122| |
    mazken|4 | 29|188.8 miles|Ran my longest distance ever - 15 miles! Felt good throughout but could feel it in my legs for the last 2 miles! so pleased...onwards and upwards from here :)|
    run44 (Aoife)|4|35.8 miles|366.5 miles total|Long 18m run today, knackered afterwards but felt good to survive it!|
    jamesmurphy1|||240miles| |
    dylbert|||128.5||
    maggiemissy|||176 miles||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|4|29 miles|205 miles|Tired legs this week|

Thanks to all advice last week from this tread, i managed to get my 15mile LSR in on the road on Saturday morning. Like Mr. Slow had advised, i had an ice bath on Friday night (15 minutes) was all i could stick. Wore compression socks in bed Friday night (wife was delighted with that). Ran in compression socks on Saturday and found the run ok.
    Thanks again to everyone for your advice. Also decided to rest the legs early this week and not do my Recovery or Midweek long run, to ensure that my legs are fresh for the rest of the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm following The HH Novice 1 program (more or less). Last week, I did 30 miles (3,7,4,16), which was fine. I felt pretty good during the 16 mile, but when I got up on Sunday, my ankle was sore (same thing happened after a 15 miler a few weeks ago, physio looked and said there was nothing broken or torn). It's been sore since sunday and I made the mistake of doing 4 miles last night. This was easily the worst run I ever did, both legs felt tired and my ankle was sore and very puffy when I finished. It obviously needs some rest, but I really don't want to miss and training as the time is getting less and less.
    Would I be best to rest it now as mush as possible and aim for just doing an LSR every weekend or just rest it completely until it's fully recovered ?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry, but there's really no way to tell over the internet whether this is the kind of pain that you can safely ignore or the kind of pain that means you have to stop running now before you do yourself an injury.
    I can tell you that taking a week or two off isn't going to do your training any real harm, but I don't know if that's what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

RayCun wrote: »
    Sorry, but there's really no way to tell over the internet whether this is the kind of pain that you can safely ignore or the kind of pain that means you have to stop running now before you do yourself an injury.
    I can tell you that taking a week or two off isn't going to do your training any real harm, but I don't know if that's what you need to do.

Sorry, I wasn't asking for medical advice. what I was trying to ask (and failing obviously :)) was if taking a week or two's rest at this stage would be significantly detrimental to my preparations. Sorry for not being more lucid ;)

• Advertisement

Sorry, I wasn't asking for medical advice. what I was trying to ask (and failing obviously :)) was if taking a week or two's rest at this stage would be significantly detrimental to my preparations.

It's not ideal, but not the end of the world either. You'll come back stronger for a bit of rest, so as long as you don't try too hard to catch up, you'll be fine.

The truth is pretty much everyone following the thread could do the marathon this month, you just don't know it yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jinxy1

'The truth is pretty much everyone following the thread could do the marathon this month, you just don't know it yet...'

That last comment of yours really cheered me up Ray because like a few others my body is starting to object to the hard slog I'm putting it through!
    I've had a couple of bad weeks in that I have ongoing calf problems once the mileage went above 8 miles. My physio reckons I'm only using the calves to run (and I'm very flat footed) and thats where the damage is coming from but I tried to lean further forward this week (on her advice) to make the glutes and thighs take some of the slack off the calves but I was wrecked after a mile.
    So I'm feeling a bit disheartened as I'm really struggling to get through the longer runs without feeling the calf but if I have to change my style of run at this late stage I'm goosed!

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them , cheers guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

jinxy1 wrote: »
    'The truth is pretty much everyone following the thread could do the marathon this month, you just don't know it yet...'

That last comment of yours really cheered me up Ray because like a few others my body is starting to object to the hard slog I'm putting it through!
    I've had a couple of bad weeks in that I have ongoing calf problems once the mileage went above 8 miles. My physio reckons I'm only using the calves to run (and I'm very flat footed) and thats where the damage is coming from but I tried to lean further forward this week (on her advice) to make the glutes and thighs take some of the slack off the calves but I was wrecked after a mile.
    So I'm feeling a bit disheartened as I'm really struggling to get through the longer runs without feeling the calf but if I have to change my style of run at this late stage I'm goosed!

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them , cheers guys!

Your right changing your form at this stage is not the way to go. Most people take years to change their stride effectively (many dont ever manage it but rather become more efficient in their own running)

The advice I would give is:

*Lots of stretching
    *strengthening exercises - core, weights, yoga, pilates, calf strengthening etc
    * regular massage
    * short hill reps/ strides @ the end of runs with long recovery at hard effort
    * more stretching

Hopefully a few of these tips can have some impact

I'm so glad you said that Ecoli because I was having serious doubts over whether or not the marathon would be possible if I had to adopt a whole new way of running. I'll definitely take the advice you listed above, thanks a lot for the advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

jinxy1I do not think that half way through a marathon training program is the time to be considering major changes to your gait running style. You will be asking muscle groups to take massive jumps in the load/work that they have to do.

everyone else Looks like our master in chief is planning a 26.2 mile LSR for next week :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Jinxy1 i was having the same problem with my calf too when my mileage was upped. They were constantly sore. I invested in a pair of compression socks and i wear them after my runs to help with recovery. I have found them great . I know some people wear them when they are running. Just might be an option.

Ah, hadn't thought of compression socks Nules, I've seen people wear them alright but wasn't quite sure what the purpose of them was! That's great to know that you found them useful because I'll try anything at this stage! Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

RayCun wrote: »
    The truth is pretty much everyone following the thread could do the marathon this month, you just don't know it yet...

I wish I believed this was true of myself. The closer the DCM gets, the more I doubt my ability to finish it! :eek:

run44 wrote: »
    I wish I believed this was true of myself. The closer the DCM gets, the more I doubt my ability to finish it! :eek:

You've had some pretty tough training over the last few weeks, but you were still able to run 18 miles on the weekend. Coming up to the marathon you'll have eased off the training, you'll be psyched up, you'll have spectators lining the roads cheering you on... you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Run44 start believing in yourself because starting the marathon believing you can do it is a much better frame of mind than starting the marathon doubting yourself...you are doing the training and as Ray says atmosphere on the day and adrenlin will help you get there....

I didn't get out for the 4 mile race yesterday or a run at all. Ended up getting a dose from the kids, headaches, bodyaches and sore throat so am trying to get my energy back for the 16LSR and hoping that i'll be better for Sat....

I got gait analysis done Monday and went for a 5m run in new runners on Tuesday and all the pain in my calves and shins that i was getting was gone, just not looking forward to doing 16m LSR in old runners as 1x5m is not enough to break them in....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Wait for Taper Madness!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I feel like that sometimes, but i WILL finish. My time might be what i want and i might be walking funny for a few days after it..........BUT I WILL FINISH EVEN IF I HAVE TO CRAWL OVER THE END LINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|2|9 miles|241 miles|Coming back from annoying 4 week injury - glad to be able to get back out there. Another easy week for me now, building things back up|
    Nules10|4|35 |329.5|Good sessions this week but legs felt heavy was glad of the step back week|
    liamog|3|31.5|233.5 miles|Good pace for the 24km LSR sped up for the last 5km to planned marathon pace feeling good but a little stiff, starting the Girl on couch to 5k tomorrow on my off days |
    Concerned2|5|34.59m|440.33 miles|Plan had no long runs pencilled in for the past week.Have to do a 20 miler this weekend though euk!|
    cr17|| |167 miles| |
    Househunter|7|59.3|390 miles|Bit late filling this in as I had my bro's wedding and then was on hols so this covers 2 weeks|
    Mr Abbey|4|13m|177miles|Also building back from - 13m + cross training|
    PDCAT|4 |30.4m|211m| Ran 15 miles LSR - Longest run ever. Felt good until about 13 miles, then legs were heavy but always felt i would finish it ok.
    TomD101|2 | 21|200since 04/07|working in London all week so only squeezed 2 runs in. 14 miles in 1hr 49 mins last night |
    ShivDCM|4|35|261m||
    BobMac104| | |270.05 ||
    red face dave|||100||
    Younganne|4|30.5|157.5m|16m LSR in 2 hr 45 that's 11.05 pace so very happy with that although the first half was too slow and the 2nd half was too fast so have to work on trying to keep a more even pace. legs were fine after the run|
    rom|5 |41 |276.34 miles| 17m LSR went good 2hrs 25mins|
    TiptoeMushroom|3|36.5km |199.5km since June 22nd. | 23.67km LSR this morning. Took me 2h31min. happy out. Injury free :) |
    special1977| | |122| |
    mazken|4 | 29|188.8 miles|Ran my longest distance ever - 15 miles! Felt good throughout but could feel it in my legs for the last 2 miles! so pleased...onwards and upwards from here :)|
    run44 (Aoife)|4|35.8 miles|366.5 miles total|Long 18m run today, knackered afterwards but felt good to survive it!|
    jamesmurphy1|||240miles| |
    dylbert|||128.5||
    maggiemissy|||176 miles||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|4|29 miles|205 miles|Tired legs this week|

Tough being back after hols but kept ticking over with a few shorts runs while I was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brian_russ

Running the Dublin Marathon, started training the last week in August. I hope to run it in 4 hours, maybe less. Am I a dreamer? Training going well.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive moved your thread to A/R/T where it should get a better response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Brian you should probably have a look in the Athletics and running forum
    there are a few threads there for people doing DCM

Check out these threads
    Novices http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056248197
    Improvers http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056250153

Seasoned runners http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056267708

brian_russ wrote: »
    Running the Dublin Marathon, started training the last week in August. I hope to run it in 4 hours, maybe less. Am I a dreamer? Training going well.

When you say you started training, and that training is going well - what do you mean?
    How much running were you doing before you started training? What have you done in the last two weeks? Have you raced before? What distances/times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Younganne wrote: »

I got gait analysis done Monday and went for a 5m run in new runners on Tuesday and all the pain in my calves and shins that i was getting was gone, just not looking forward to doing 16m LSR in old runners as 1x5m is not enough to break them in....

Are you sure? I'd have no hesitation in using the new shoes, if you notice a benefit. Bring some compeed if you think you'll blister, and listen to your body on the run, of course.

My 2 cents' worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

brownian wrote: »
    Are you sure? I'd have no hesitation in using the new shoes, if you notice a benefit. Bring some compeed if you think you'll blister, and listen to your body on the run, of course.

My 2 cents' worth.

Amazing i'm in the same place and did 5 miles with my new ones last night. I'm going to break them in slowly as i still have a bit left in my old ones and i'll give them their long debut next sat. I'll use my old ones for my LSR this weekend and work on the new ones during the week.

My 2 cents' worth.

Agreed, they may even be better than using your old ones, but as Brownian says - Listen to your body!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

My 2 cents' worth.

+1 if your old trainers are giving you calf pains and your new ones aren't, why wear your old ones on your LSR?
    The whole 'breaking shoes in' is a bit of a misnomer. I have run marathons in brand new shoes. Also it is much better to get a blister than a claf strain/shin splints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'm doing the DCM this year, first one. Background : good few years running, though nothing close to my current mileage. BHAA, Raheny 5's, Dunshaughlin 10K's, that sort of thing and a summer of triathlons just done.

My question is have people just done the full thing without racing a half?

My current long runs are on Saturdays, 15 miles last few weeks, 16/17 tomorrow and so on. Thinking of doing Kilkenny Half next week is my reason for asking. My main concern is losing focus on building mileage or missing a
    LS(ish)R which the good folk around here place a lot of importance on.. and for good reason it seems! I'm kind of happy just building away...would I be missing out? Thanks

Edit: Sorry, could Mods move this, put it in events by accident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

anyone any idea on what the expected number of entries will be this year ?

anyone any idea on what the expected number of entries will be this year ?

It was 13,000 entries last year but the runner count was about 11,500 I think!

• Advertisement

Basster wrote: »
    My question is have people just done the full thing without racing a half?

Racing a half before the marathon is a good learning experience, but not necessary.

Advertisement