Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Nice report mr slow.

It's all getting very exciting now........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, I was thinking seriously about getting this boards name on my 2 boards running tops - save the weird intros where you have to tell people both names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Having your name on your top does help if you are struggling and someone shouts out Come on .....and you name... the atmosphere on the day is great especially getting nearer to the end, the legs are tired and the head is telling you..only 3 m to go etc...to hear your name IMO is a much need boost at times.

I didn't have my name but there was my identifiable company name on my shirt and people responded to it and it certainly helped me get through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

The potential downside to having a name or nickname on a top is that the people around you will be subjected to hearing it shouted throughout the race. It could get a bit tiring after the 44th time someone shouts:

"Keep going (insert name / nickname), you're nearly there!!!!"

I suppose a name wouldn't be too bad but a nickname that sounded great on paper might get tiring.

Maybe I'm just jealous that no-one will be shouting my name.

Hang on, I've an idea!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I do have a t shirt with "Go Away" written on it................i think thats perfect for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dev123 wrote: »
    The potential downside to having a name or nickname on a top is that the people around you will be subjected to hearing it shouted throughout the race.

Maybe if it was someone else in a pace group with you, but otherwise you won't be beside the same people all the way around.
    It's the plodders' version of wearing a club singlet I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

The potential downside to having a name or nickname on a top is that the people around you will be subjected to hearing it shouted throughout the race. It could get a bit tiring after the 44th time someone shouts:

"Keep going (insert name / nickname), you're nearly there!!!!"

Put something funny like 'sexy', everytime someone shouts "Keep going SEXY, you're nearly there!!!!" everyone can claim it as referring to them (people behind you and in front won't be looking at your shirt!)

RayCun wrote: »
    Maybe if it was someone else in a pace group with you, but otherwise you won't be beside the same people all the way around.
    I'm planning on going out with the four hour pacers so maybe an annoying nickname in that group might be the incentive I need to pick it after the 20 mile marker :)

Any takers from the four hour group for putting the most annoying name / nick name / slogan on your running top? It could really help people get in under 4.

I'm planning on going out with the four hour pacers so maybe an annoying nickname in that group might be the incentive I need to pick it after the 20 mile marker :)

Any takers from the four hour group for putting the most annoying name / nick name / slogan on your running top? It could really help people get in under 4.

Trying to get away from Menoscemo will be incentive enough to push on :pac:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    (people behind you and in front won't be looking at your shirt!)

No, but they may be checkin you out.... which could be off-putting depending on what floats your boat

• Advertisement

What's a 'plodder' Ray?

Trying to get away from Menoscemo will be incentive enough to push on :pac:

I only met Meno briefly at the Wexford half earlier this year.... I did find him rather annoying and was delighted when he said he was pacing the 1:45 group :pac:

Between an annoying slogan on someones top and Meno I am almost guaranteed to get in under 4!!!!

What's a 'plodder' Ray?

That'd be us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

http://dailyrunningtips.com/running-injuries/nipples-bleeding-when-running/

I want a t-shirt with that design and then on the back saying its not real blood.

That'd be us :D

Nice save.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

There were a few people running in the half-marathon with things written on their tshirts. One girl had "What am I doing?" , "We're all mad" and "When exactly did this seem like a good idea?" written on the back of hers. Wouldn't do it myself, but appreciated it and it kept me smiling as I ran behind her!

I only met Meno briefly at the Wexford half earlier this year.... I did find him rather annoying and was delighted when he said he was pacing the 1:45 group :pac:

Between an annoying slogan on someones top and Meno I am almost guaranteed to get in under 4!!!!

He's not going to like that! ;)

He's not going to like that! ;)

It's all in jest of course.

This is where I back track as I hopefully will be spending just under 4 hours in his company come October 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

275178_100000700870576_990763607_n.jpg

This guy is aiming for a sub 4. You will have plenty reason to get away from pace group as early as possible.

ger664 wrote: »

This guy is aiming for a sub 4. You will have plenty reason to get away from pace group as early as possible.

I've just gotten a small bit sick there Ger, ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

ger664 wrote: »

This guy was great during the half too! Fair play to him

run44 wrote: »
    This guy was great during the half too! Fair play to him

It takes balls to wear that outfit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

It takes balls to wear that outfit! :D

After 4 hours he may not have any!:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Post. Of. The. Year.

Post. Of. The. Year.

How do we immortalise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Hi Guys,
    I am planning to run the Dublin Marathon end of month and I just don’t know what time to go for.
    I started training August 4th so only 12 weeks training before the day.

I initially started running without timing myself or tracking the distance but was getting out 3 to 4 times a week for over one hr or so! I used google maps to give me an idea of the distance and I was running anything from 12.5km to 15km.

I downloaded an APP to track my runs and here are some of the runs I’ve done throughout September.

Sep 8th, 22.70KM (1.48.22)
    Sep 10th, 16.00KM (1.21.05)
    Sep 17th (half marathon) – (1.34.54)
    Sep 20th, 13.75KM (1.05.53)
    Sep 26th, 15.81KM (1.11.37)
    September 29th, 24.56KM (2.04.46)
    October 2nd, 29.17 (2.20.20)

I have not done any runs since Oct 2nd as I came down with a cold and I am just shifting it now.

Based on the above information, any suggestions of what pace I should run at?

Ps: The October run I found very hard as I realised when I’d 8 kms left that long for runs like this I need water and gels in which id none so all I could think about was I need a drink!! Lesson learnt!
    Thanks guys, D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

Hey all, havent been on in a while, training is back on track after 3 week lay off at the start of sept due to number of reasons. Missed a few long runs in that time so have had to attack things my own way. 14 miles has being my longest so far, aiming for 16 this weekend, maybe 18 after that and then 10 the weekend before. Will be delighted to get to start line if all this goes well, ideally would have liked to follow plan but from what i see on here, lots of people have had to adapt due to injuries, life etc.

Keep going everyone.

topday wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I am planning to run the Dublin Marathon end of month and I just don’t know what time to go for.
    I started training August 4th so only 12 weeks training before the day.

That half marathon time is very good if you only started running in August!
    You're obviously very fit, but you don't have enough long runs, or enough of a fitness base, to suggest that you have the endurance to run well for the whole 42.2k. You are probably best off running with the 4 hour pacers and then - if you feel good - speeding up in the last miles of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

How will the pacers be running. Only ran with pacers once on a 10m and they banked time at the start for the end. They were 80 mins pacers but ran 7:30 for the first 3 miles. Will it be similar in Dublin with a faster first half ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You are probably best off running with the 4 hour pacers and then - if you feel good - speeding up in the last miles of the race.

I wouldn't do that, I have head at least one of them is very annoying :mad:

Advertisement