Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

rom wrote: »
    How will the pacers be running. Only ran with pacers once on a 10m and they banked time at the start for the end. They were 80 mins pacers but ran 7:30 for the first 3 miles. Will it be similar in Dublin with a faster first half ?

No, they'll be running even splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

dev123 wrote: »
    I only met Meno briefly at the Wexford half earlier this year.... I did find him rather annoying and was delighted when he said he was pacing the 1:45 group :pac:

Between an annoying slogan on someones top and Meno I am almost guaranteed to get in under 4!!!!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I wouldn't do that, I have head at least one of them is very annoying :mad:

Not very, just rather!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

menoscemo wrote: »
    I wouldn't do that, I have head at least one of them is very annoying :mad:

I'm kinda new to Boards so I'm unsure as to what all the emoticons mean, but I am assuming :mad: ain't good

I'm kinda new to Boards so I'm unsure as to what all the emoticons mean, but I am assuming :mad: ain't good

:mad: means he's gonna spend 3:59:30 telling you where you went wrong in training! :D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    :mad: means he's gonna spend 3:59:30 telling you where you went wrong in training! :D

Time to break out the headphones so!!!!

• Advertisement

Time to break out the headphones so!!!!

Won't make a difference, believe me!

Won't make a difference, believe me!

Ah sh1te,

Who's pacing 3:45? I hope I havn't offended them

Ah sh1te,

Who's pacing 3:45? I hope I havn't offended them

Meno has a thick skin, you'll be grand!

Meno has a thick skin, you'll be grand!

Mr Slow, on the other hand, is going to find his magic pills tampered with and his stick shoved somewhere his Grid won't roll...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

topday wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I am planning to run the Dublin Marathon end of month and I just don’t know what time to go for.
    I started training August 4th so only 12 weeks training before the day.

I initially started running without timing myself or tracking the distance but was getting out 3 to 4 times a week for over one hr or so! I used google maps to give me an idea of the distance and I was running anything from 12.5km to 15km.

I downloaded an APP to track my runs and here are some of the runs I’ve done throughout September.

Sep 8th, 22.70KM (1.48.22)
    Sep 10th, 16.00KM (1.21.05)
    Sep 17th (half marathon) – (1.34.54)
    Sep 20th, 13.75KM (1.05.53)
    Sep 26th, 15.81KM (1.11.37)
    September 29th, 24.56KM (2.04.46)
    October 2nd, 29.17 (2.20.20)

I have not done any runs since Oct 2nd as I came down with a cold and I am just shifting it now.

Based on the above information, any suggestions of what pace I should run at?

Ps: The October run I found very hard as I realised when I’d 8 kms left that long for runs like this I need water and gels in which id none so all I could think about was I need a drink!! Lesson learnt!
    Thanks guys, D

Hey topday,

Those runs are all over the place. Can you give us a few more training details? How many miles and days per week? Any structure to your training or just done by the 'whatever I felt like' method? How many runs over 25k in length - what were they and how did they feel? What's your sporting background? How did you feel after the half? Are you running better now than you were then? I'm guessing you're fairly light? How motivated are you to do the marathon? What do you want to achieve out of it? What is the meaning of life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Was out running this evening after work. Was ploughing away up a hill when someone in oncoming car shot me with a pellet gun. I swear to god I'm not messing have a big red circle on my collar. Ran the best 10 miles ever so it made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Was out running this evening after work. Was ploughing away up a hill when someone in oncoming car shot me with a pellet gun. I swear to god I'm not messing have a big red circle on my collar. Ran the best 10 miles ever so it made up for it.

That wasn't very nice Dave, lucky they didn't get you on the face, hope your ok...i had eggs thrown as me once when out running and at speed (both me and the eggs) they have some impact...i'm a girl so i hurt easily;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi all,

Loving the thread giving me great motivation and excitement for the day.

Just looking for some training advice, in the last four weeks my LSR's have been 16, 13, 18 & 18. Due to other commitments i wont be able to do an LSR this weekend. With next week due to be the begining of the 3 week taper will i be ok to just follow the Hal Higdon taper of 12, 8, 3 or should i be looking to do a longer run next week.

I did the 18's in 2:50 and felt quite strong after them.

Thanks in advance

Due to other commitments i wont be able to do an LSR this weekend.

How about today, tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Brewski78

Hi all,

Only found this thread about a month ago and felt compelled to finally write to say thanks to you all for helping to get me through training for my first marathon and especially to those who asked and answered the questions that had been wrecking my head!

I've been following the HH novice supreme so hoping that'll be enough to get me around - best of luck to all for the day!

RayCun wrote: »

Away till Monday evening from tonight, not ideal i know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea if I can escape work tomorrow [last day in this job, before new one next week] I plan to do mine Friday late afternoon....

Away till Monday evening from tonight, not ideal i know

You could try getting out next Tuesday evening, but its not going to make much difference really.

You could try getting out next Tuesday evening, but its not going to make much difference really.

Thanks Ray, might just take the hit on missing it and give the few niggling pains the weekend to recover.

One other question, I did the half marathon in 1:48 and my 18mile LSR's at 2:50 would i be right in going for a 4hr finish?

My training is hit and miss but over past few weeks was doing in or about 30 miles a week.

Did a half marathon on Saturday and was 1.42. Was out last Tuesday and did another 8 miles or so at less than 8 minute miles. So fitness is not an issue. Think my issue really is miles in my legs and not at all sure in that front, still have never run more than 17 miles in one go. So though I'll be going far slower than the half marathon, just not sure I have the distance in my legs at all yet.

Planning to do a 22 mile run this Saturday, slowly, and then wind it down after that for 3 weeks. Any links to any post here setting out what that wind down should consist of?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Planning to do a 22 mile run this Saturday, slowly, and then wind it down after that for 3 weeks. Any links to any post here setting out what that wind down should consist of?

Ray posts the plan each week on sunday for the following week so keep an eye out for that and you won't go wrong.

One other question, I did the half marathon in 1:48 and my 18mile LSR's at 2:50 would i be right in going for a 4hr finish?

Yes, that sounds right.

Link to a podcast of an interview with Eamon Coughlan on 2FM yesterday morning.

pod-v-05101107m52sbwhbitesizedeamonncoughlan-pid0-472176.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Couple of questions for the experts! This is my first marathon so I am starting to get really nervous. I am running now for 2 years have alot of races under my belt, have completed four half marathons my last two finishing times were 101 mins and 99 mins.
    My first question is what time should I aim for? I have used all the pacing tools on every site and they bring me to finishing times ranging from 3.28:eek: to 3.40:confused:. I have trained well the last half marathon time was achieved 3 weeks ago, I have completed two 20milers, and a 22miler and peaked at a 50 mile week.
    Should I aim for 4, just to be safe, aim for 3.45 in the middle or aim sub 3.40 ?????
    Also I plan to bring gels with me but was wondering should I bring any drinks myself or should there be sufficient water sports drinks en route?

Thanks a million:D

suseoh wrote: »
    Couple of questions for the experts! This is my first marathon so I am starting to get really nervous. I am running now for 2 years have alot of races under my belt, have completed four half marathons my last two finishing times were 101 mins and 99 mins.
    My first question is what time should I aim for? I have used all the pacing tools on every site and they bring me to finishing times ranging from 3.28:eek: to 3.40:confused:. I have trained well the last half marathon time was achieved 3 weeks ago, I have completed two 20milers, and a 22miler and peaked at a 50 mile week.
    Should I aim for 4, just to be safe, aim for 3.45 in the middle or aim sub 3.40 ?????
    Also I plan to bring gels with me but was wondering should I bring any drinks myself or should there be sufficient water sports drinks en route?

Thanks a million:D

I'm far from an expert but....your times and experience indicate a comfortable sub 3:40 time but if I were you I would run sub 3:45 pace (8:30) up to 20/22 miles and push on if you feel strong. This would give you a great time and ensure you enjoy your first marathon and finish strong.

It also depends on whether you want to run with a pace group. If you've done that in half marathons and want to do it again - go with the 3.45 gang, you should be well capable of that time and you can push on towards the end.
    (Or you could go out on your own for a 3.40 target. )

There'll be water every 3 miles around the course and sports drinks at three locations (see map). If you're used to the gels and bringing your own, stick with that.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Ray posts the plan each week on sunday for the following week so keep an eye out for that and you won't go wrong.

Thanks for that. Are they on this thread or some other one below?

Thanks for that. Are they on this thread or some other one below?

They'll be on this thread.

It's this plan - we're in the middle of week 15 at the moment, anybody following the plan will be doing 20 this weekend, 12 the next, then 8, then it's race weekend...

• Advertisement

It's this plan - we're in the middle of week 15 at the moment, anybody following the plan will be doing 20 this weekend, 12 the next, then 8, then it's race weekend...

:eek:

Have I done enough?
    Have I done too much?
    I feel a niggle in my knee!
    Are my runners ok?
    Will I wake up on time?
    Oh my God I sneezed, do I have a chest infection?
    I must stay away from dogs on leads.
    Do I eat enough carbs?........and on and on we go

Symptoms and Solutions for Taper Madness!

Advertisement