Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

RayCun wrote: »
    It's this plan - we're in the middle of week 15 at the moment, anybody following the plan will be doing 20 this weekend, 12 the next, then 8, then it's race weekend...

Excellent, thanks for that.

Haven't followed any plan, but think that's not a million miles away from the distances I've been doing in recent weeks, by chance. And planned on doing a 22 mile or so this Saturday (and a long hillwalk Sunday, which will hopefully equate with the "cross" bit), so will wind down on the basis set out there after that, though might be a couple of days out.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Mr Slow wrote: »
    suseoh wrote: »
    Couple of questions for the experts! This is my first marathon so I am starting to get really nervous. I am running now for 2 years have alot of races under my belt, have completed four half marathons my last two finishing times were 101 mins and 99 mins.
    My first question is what time should I aim for? I have used all the pacing tools on every site and they bring me to finishing times ranging from 3.28:eek: to 3.40:confused:. I have trained well the last half marathon time was achieved 3 weeks ago, I have completed two 20milers, and a 22miler and peaked at a 50 mile week.
    Should I aim for 4, just to be safe, aim for 3.45 in the middle or aim sub 3.40 ?????
    Also I plan to bring gels with me but was wondering should I bring any drinks myself or should there be sufficient water sports drinks en route?

Thanks a million:D

I'm far from an expert but....your times and experience indicate a comfortable sub 3:40 time but if I were you I would run sub 3:45 pace (8:30) up to 20/22 miles and push on if you feel strong. This would give you a great time and ensure you enjoy your first marathon and finish strong.

Thanks a million guys, that is a weight off my mind! That sounds like the ideal plan. I am dreaming of the race everynight and yes I am imagining pains in every area of my body and craving all the wrong foods the more I try to stick to a strict diet( lol)
    Xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Marathon2011

Any of the experts wanna give a motivational speech on how to tackle the very first 20 mile run for us newbies that have never ran that far before??

Is it right I can not stop thinking about it and may have gone slightly insane !?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It might be easier to not think of it as "ouch, 20 miles" but rather "I'm going 1-2 miles further this weekend than I did before - I can always keep going for another 10-20 minutes!".

Thanks your right it's only 2 miles further than the 18.

Now about the maddnes!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's entirely normal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Any of the experts wanna give a motivational speech on how to tackle the very first 20 mile run for us newbies that have never ran that far before??
    Is it right I can not stop thinking about it and may have gone slightly insane !?!

Just take it slow and easy. You've done close to this distance already, so this is nothing really new. Make sure you have your water (and gels, if you're using them) sorted out, and relax. You're well capable of going the distance.

Thanks lads, am going out sunday morning so will follow the advice given and hopefully have 20 miles banked by Sunday afternoon 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

RK is right. Don't think of the distance as been 26.2 miles but that 'i'm going for a run with alot of other people'.

When it gets tough, you can use lamposts as a ruler such as 'i just need to run to the pole and then i can stop'. Once you do that a few times and make the lampost on each occasion, you get over the tough patch and be back on track.

Gonna try and tackle a 22 miler tomorrow.

Regretting the feed of drink last night. Still, think I earned the right to a rest and a night on a barstool. Gonna load up with carbs later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Gonna try and tackle a 22 miler tomorrow.

Regretting the feed of drink last night. Still, think I earned the right to a rest and a night on a barstool. Gonna load up with carbs later.

Do not forget to drink loads of water today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dang

Hi, this is my first marathon and getting pretty nervous already. I've done the full Dublin Race Series so I am really ready to take on this challenge. The only concern I have is that I have already done a 20mile run and after the run my IT Band started niggling. I am lucky in that it is not sore but I am doing the stretches twice a day to make sure it stays at bay. I still want to do another long run this weekend but I am afraid it will flair up again. Has this happened to anyone and do you have any advice? If I have done 20 miles already should that be enough for race day if I start tapering from this weekend on?

You can taper from this weekend on, but you'll get better advice on your IT Band from a physio...

ger664 wrote: »
    Do not forget to drink loads of water today.

Thanks. Had forgotten that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Wohoo 22 done today, last few miles tough , had planned to do it tomorrow but something came up so headed out today, cold bath, hot shower, food and now in the bed! Nice!
    Never thoughtI would make it this far, thanks for all the support and encouragement . Will b on this thread continuously during the next 3 weeks to help me get through taper madness
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

suseoh wrote: »
    Wohoo 22 done today, last few miles tough , had planned to do it tomorrow but something came up so headed out today, cold bath, hot shower, food and now in the bed! Nice!
    Never thoughtI would make it this far, thanks for all the support and encouragement . Will b on this thread continuously during the next 3 weeks to help me get through taper madness
    X
    well done that is brilliant. 4.2 miles will b nothing to you now. Best of luck over the next 3 weeks. Roll on 31st :cool:

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||371 miles||
    Nules10|||391.5||
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||440.33 miles||
    Househunter|||584 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    TomD101|||300since 04/07||
    ShivDCM|||345m||
    BobMac104|||401.05 ||
    red face dave|||219 miles||
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|||394.64 miles||
    TiptoeMushroom|||260.5km since June 22nd. ||
    mazken|||318.8 miles| |
    maggiemissy|||447 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|||414.7 miles since June||
    specialk1977|||122| |

Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|5m/8k|8m/13k|4m/7k|rest|12m/20k|cross

Taper time!
    The most important thing to remember about the taper period is Don't Go Crazy.
    Okay, scratch that - you will go crazy. Every time you get a twinge in your legs you will think they are going to fall off. Every time someone sneezes near you you think you'll be missing the marathon because of plague. You will worry constantly that you haven't done enough running, that there isn't enough miles in the plan, that what you really need right now is to go out and do 20 miles at marathon pace - that will see you right!

Take a deep breath.
    Relax.

Stick to the plan. Don't do any extra miles, and don't speed up because the distances are shorter. Run at the same pace and intensity as you have been doing up to now, but over shorter distances.

Use the extra time to catch up on the things you've been missing out on over the last few months - friends, family... remember them? - and relax a bit. But don't go crazy with food and drink. Stick to your healthy diet so you don't pile on weight before the race. And don't take on any big DIY projects that are going to wear you out or strain your muscles.

And remember, no matter how bad the madness gets, Mr Slow has it worse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

The most important thing to remember about the taper period is Don't Go Crazy:p

Hi Ray, Will there be a prize over the next three weeks for the craziest question? I'll have it in the bag if so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

And remember, no matter how bad the madness gets, Mr Slow has it worse :p

Ha ha, not this time chief! Just to put you right though, your second marathon is the worst for sheer lunacy!!!

• Advertisement

Is it possibe I have gone through taper madness when I was out injured. I kinda feel nothing at the moment :rolleyes: I am feeling very left out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Got my last 20miler out of the way yesterday. Great day for running - the Phoenix Park was lovely. As strange as this sounds, I was both delighted and a little sad that the last long training run was finished. I actually really enjoyed it and felt good most of the way through, probably in the knowledge that it was the last long run 'til the big day ;)

Still feeling it today mind you, but looking forward to a lighter week. Mad really that I wouldn't now consider 12 miles a long run. How far I've come!

I just keep repeating my mantra, '2 x 16miles, 2 x 18miles and 2 x 20miles runs done, you'll be fine'... but fear I'll be going crazy quite soon regardless! :P

Well done run44 great training. Just 1x 26.2 to do now ;)

Ye'll never have your first marathon again, enjoy it!

Just to remind you again that everyone who made it to the start line last year, made it to the finish! Once you're into taper it's all downhill from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I don't believe it, I was out today on my last 20 miles. After 8 miles had a pain at the back of my knee but carried on. Was feeling great and was finding the going fairly easy. Until mile 15 when the back of the knee seemed to just lock. So had to walk another 2 miles until I got back to the car. Went into see the physio this afternoon and it turns out I have a small tear on the muscle behind the knee.

So in the one week I was shoot and injured :-) Anyone ever have this injury before how long is recovery roughly.

I don't believe it, I was out today on my last 20 miles. After 8 miles had a pain at the back of my knee but carried on. Was feeling great and was finding the going fairly easy. Until mile 15 when the back of the knee seemed to just lock. So had to walk another 2 miles until I got back to the car. Went into see the physio this afternoon and it turns out I have a small tear on the muscle behind the knee.

So in the one week I was shoot and injured :-) Anyone ever have this injury before how long is recovery roughly.

Anyone ever have this injury before how long is recovery roughly.

Every injury is different and nobody but a medical professional can advise you about it.

Sorry to hear about it though!

Loaded up now with arnica cream. Out of all my runs that one was the easiest

Aww dave sorry to here that, but i am sure everything will be fine. Just go with what the physio recommended. Rest and ice and repeat i suppose till it feels better. Chin up :)

• Advertisement

I might be joining you yet on the run walk. Either way I will be doing it. But I reckon 3 weeks should be plenty of time feels better already

Advertisement