Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry to hear about the injury Dave, hope its not too bad and you'll be on form on race day.

i have only been out once this week for 5 m pace on wednesday...think i have my sinus infection again, can't shake off headache & constant fuzzy head completely knackered, and also have sore throat...couldn't tackle my 20 m today and panadol is not shifting the headache, so i think a trip to GP will be in order if no better on Monday.

IS it too late to do 20 m next week...i'm not overly worried if i don't get it done as its my second marathon so know i have done the distance before,,

any thoughts on this, should i just stick with the plan next week or try and do this weeks plan of 5m easy, 5m pace, 5 easy and 20LSR...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd say since you've already done the distance, and you'll still be recovering from an infection, there's no point in pushing it out to 20 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iliketorun

Hey, I posted here 2 weeks ago about a hamstring injury during training for my first marathon. Sadly, it hasn't healed yet and haven't run in 3 1/2 weeks. Apparently the tear wasn't that serious, it was from overstretching after my runs and the large amount of cycling i did after getting the injury probably did further damage(I'm just not patient enough to rest lol).
    Now I have already spent the 73 euro for registering online and I'm emigrating after Christmas so it will be my last chance to do marathon in my home city again. How crazy would it be to do marathon at this stage if I start running again in a few days. My goal before injury was about 3 20, but obviously now if I were to do it, it would be ALOT more.
    I would like to do lots of marathons in different countries when I'm older and more experienced. Would it be a good idea to forget Dublin and maybe do something like Clonakilty in December, or even Waterford half marathon on same date(10th december) would be more wise??
    It would be annoying wasting 73 euro but better than ending up with a permanent injury. Anyone ever in the same boat as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

iliketorun wrote: »
    Hey, I posted here 2 weeks ago about a hamstring injury during training for my first marathon. Sadly, it hasn't healed yet and haven't run in 3 1/2 weeks. Apparently the tear wasn't that serious, it was from overstretching after my runs and the large amount of cycling i did after getting the injury probably did further damage(I'm just not patient enough to rest lol).
    Now I have already spent the 73 euro for registering online and I'm emigrating after Christmas so it will be my last chance to do marathon in my home city again. How crazy would it be to do marathon at this stage if I start running again in a few days. My goal before injury was about 3 20, but obviously now if I were to do it, it would be ALOT more.
    I would like to do lots of marathons in different countries when I'm older and more experienced. Would it be a good idea to forget Dublin and maybe do something like Clonakilty in December, or even Waterford half marathon on same date(10th december) would be more wise??
    It would be annoying wasting 73 euro but better than ending up with a permanent injury. Anyone ever in the same boat as me?

You are coming from a very small mileage base. You have only been running for about six months and have not got any mileage since 3rd week of September. If you do attempt the marathon it will be a bad experience, add in the hamstring issue. Its a no brainer, for me do not line up at the start.

I am surprised that your hamstring has not resolved if the tear was not serious. Have you considered a second opinion on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I am the same as you - I don't like dropping out particularly when I have paid the €73. I injured my knee during the Dublin 1/2 and had to take a couple of weeks off having lost a couple of weeks earlier - It meant that 15 miles was my longest slow run and that was early september - I did a couple of miles on the Thursday and 3 fast miles on the Saturday and then did the Athlone 3/4 on Sunday and although I could feel the knee it was not too painful until I had to come down a big hill near the end which made me a bit lame - anyway I fiinshed in a good time (for me) and thought I would be good for the Marathon but then trying to train this week has been painful and could only manage 8 miles yesterday so I have the doubts again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

If I couldn't make the marathon, I would volunteer on the day, you'll get to enjoy the atmosphere and it's good running Karma for your next attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||371 miles||
    Nules10|4|27|418.5|feels great to be back just hope i have enough done to see me through :rolleyes:|
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||440.33 miles||
    Househunter|||584 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    TomD101|||300since 04/07||
    ShivDCM|||345m||
    BobMac104|||401.05 ||
    red face dave|||219 miles||
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|||394.64 miles||
    TiptoeMushroom|||260.5km since June 22nd. ||
    mazken|||318.8 miles| |
    maggiemissy|||447 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|||414.7 miles since June||
    specialk1977|||122| |

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Vagga|||371 miles||
    Nules10|4|27|418.5|feels great to be back just hope i have enough done to see me through :rolleyes:|
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    ShivDCM|||345m||
    BobMac104|||401.05 ||
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|||394.64 miles||
    mazken|||318.8 miles| |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|37m|451.7 miles since June|Toughest week down. Can feel the anxiety creeping in already :eek:|
    specialk1977|||122| |

Thanks again to everyone for all your encouragement and advice! Without it, I can't imagine I would have gotten this far on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Marathon2011

20.03 miles. I am not going to lie the last 2 miles were not pretty but I finished still running. Really hope it's not windy on the day , found myself cursing the wind outoud today 

Thanks again for tips and support never in a million years thought I could run 20 and I'm sure someone will give me loan of 6 miles on the day right . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

20.03 miles. I am not going to lie the last 2 miles were not pretty but I finished still running. Really hope it's not windy on the day , found myself cursing the wind outoud today 

Thanks again for tips and support never in a million years thought I could run 20 and I'm sure someone will give me loan of 6 miles on the day right . . . .

Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iliketorun

Hey thanks for the replies so far. I only had 6 weeks of training not 6 months :o. It probably wouldn't be that mad if I had 6 months experience. I'm going to do a half marathon in December instead, that should be a realistic goal and the distance won't be an issue. My PT reckons my injury was between a grade 1 and 2. I didn't have any bruising that's why it doesn't look serious. Walking fast and cycling alot after the injury was a bad idea. At the moment my hamstring just gets cramped easily but its enough to put me off training. Running 3/4 marathon not long after 1/2 is pretty good, hopefully you will be able to run the full.
    I like doing volunteer work so that would be worth looking into, never thought about that. Waterford 1/2 marathon in december is only 22 euro, anyone else doing it? The Austin marathon is near Valentines day and am thinking of doing that. Anyone any suggestions? Would that still be too soon to do a marathon? Maybe do a few 1/2s first?
    In the meantime, I'm gonna visit an accupuncture to get a second opinion on the hamstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Vagga|||371 miles||
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    ShivDCM|||345m||
    BobMac104|||401.05 ||
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|||394.64 miles||
    mazken|4|40|358.8 miles| 20 miles LSR - wrecked but equally chuffed :) |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|37m|451.7 miles since June|Toughest week down. Can feel the anxiety creeping in already :eek:|
    specialk1977|||122| |

Just want to follow in run44's footsteps and thank everyone for their support!! While I don't post too often (just to fill in the table every week!) this page has become my "go-to" every night to see how everyone else is getting on!! I'm running and training on my own (couldn't find anyone mad enough to do this with me :)) so when the going gets tough I just think of ye lot and don't feel too lonely :D Best of luck to all with the tapering!

Waterford 1/2 marathon in december is only 22 euro, anyone else doing it?

Absolutely, there's a crowd of us doing it, (an excuse for a road trip but don't tell anyone;)) plus one of the lads is pushing to have the Boardsie Xmas night out the same day! The more the merrier!

mazken wrote: »
    so when the going gets tough I just think of ye lot and don't feel too lonely

Make sure and come and put faces to the names in McGrattans after the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Vagga|||371 miles||
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    ShivDCM|3|32|377m|calf felt good during 20 today. relieved its ok.|
    BobMac104|||401.05 ||
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|||394.64 miles||
    specialk1977|||122| |

You were looking very strong the whole way through and the pick up at the end concretes it, you'll have a great marathon. Thanks again for the ice cream!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

lol thanks for that man.
    nice to meet you today.
    A pint in Mcgrattans will be a good replacement for an ice cream, looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woah. Ice creams. No one mentioned any ice cream to me when we split! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Vagga|||371 miles||
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    BobMac104|6|48|449.05 |20mile LSR a big milestone for me and happy to get through uninjured. End of 3 tough weeks for me and I am tired...|
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|||394.64 miles||
    specialk1977|||122| |

Well done to everyone on their lsrs. My own suffered a bit due to a return of stupidity by me:rolleyes:. Went out too fast but kept it up all the way to 20 miles . legs felt strong, feet are perfect very happy with these. just wish i could have paced it better. looking forward to recovering now.

i must admit every slight pull or twist on the run had me getting paranoid after reading Red faced dave's post yesterday. Hope you feel better man!

Woah. Ice creams. No one mentioned any ice cream to me when we split! :eek:

I did, you weren't listening as usual, at 6 miles I said 'we'll have to get ice creams at 20', you nodded which generally indicates agreement!!!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

Vagga|||371 miles||
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    BobMac104|||401.05 ||
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|||394.64 miles||
    maggiemissy|4|40m|487 miles|delighted to have achieved the 20 without any problems, happy days||
    specialk1977|||122| |

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I did, you weren't listening as usual, at 6 miles I said 'we'll have to get ice creams at 20', you nodded which generally indicates agreement!!!:P

Yep, he did say that about the ice cream RQ. Well done shiv, you pulled away into the wind quite easily and looked like there was a bit more in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Make sure and come and put faces to the names in McGrattans after the race!

Staying in Dublin night of the race so think I might just do that :) Like you said it'll be nice to see the faces behind the names!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Hi everyone
    First of all congrats to everyone who did their 20miler :)
    I have a question. Since i have been sitting on my ass due to injury over the last couple of weeks i am going to do a shorter taper. So can someone recommend what to do with my mid week runs this week? and how much of an LSR on saturday. I really feel as if i need a bit of a boost on the LSR. I was thinking maybe 16/17 or 18 all depending on how i am feeling on the day. Would this be insane :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

With Dublin coming up in a few weeks i thinking about taking a few gels on race day. I was just looking for some advice, I've never taken gels before, should I be talking them during training to get use to them or would it be okay to just use them on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would try out a few different types prior to DCM to see which ones work well for you. The last thing you want to do is take something you have not tried before on race day which could leave you with GI issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Vagga|||371 miles||
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    BobMac104|||401.05 ||
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|4|33|427.77 miles|Only did a 2nd 18m LSR. Felt very fresh after it as last few weeks wore skins that screwed up my LSR|
    maggiemissy|4|40m|487 miles|delighted to have achieved the 20 without any problems, happy days||
    specialk1977|||122| |

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Should definitely be taking them during training. Even on some of your shorter runs now try them. I find the high 5 ones good and easy on the tummy but hard to get. I get them by the box from wiggle. The citrus ones done taste of anything much, fairly easy to take...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

Do they actually help?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

chinguetti wrote: »
    Yep, he did say that about the ice cream RQ. Well done shiv, you pulled away into the wind quite easily and looked like there was a bit more in the tank.

Hmmm I do not recall. Maybe my ears were still ringing at the time! :pac:

Advertisement