Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Hmmm I do not recall. Maybe my ears were still ringing at the time! :pac:

Sounds like tinnitus. I cant offer medical advice on boards so you'll have to contact your local homeopathist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||371 miles||
    Nules10|4|27|418.5|feels great to be back just hope i have enough done to see me through :rolleyes:|
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||440.33 miles||
    Househunter|||584 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    TomD101|||300since 04/07||
    ShivDCM|3|32|377m|calf felt good during 20 today. relieved its ok.|
    BobMac104|6|48|449.05 |20mile LSR a big milestone for me and happy to get through uninjured. End of 3 tough weeks for me and I am tired...|
    red face dave|||219 miles||
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|4|33|427.77 miles|Only did a 2nd 18m LSR. Felt very fresh after it as last few weeks wore skins that screwed up my LSR|
    TiptoeMushroom|||260.5km since June 22nd. ||
    mazken|4|40|358.8 miles| 20 miles LSR - wrecked but equally chuffed :) |
    maggiemissy|||447 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|4|37m|451.7 miles since June|Toughest week down. Can feel the anxiety creeping in already :eek:|
    maggiemissy|4|40m|487 miles|delighted to have achieved the 20 without any problems, happy days||
    specialk1977|||122| |

just editing my bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Nules10 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    First of all congrats to everyone who did their 20miler :)
    I have a question. Since i have been sitting on my ass due to injury over the last couple of weeks i am going to do a shorter taper. So can someone recommend what to do with my mid week runs this week? and how much of an LSR on saturday. I really feel as if i need a bit of a boost on the LSR. I was thinking maybe 16/17 or 18 all depending on how i am feeling on the day. Would this be insane :confused:

Good to hear that you're back running. I'ld still go gentle on it for another week. Maybe try and run on grass/sand if you can as the odd run away from the roads will lessening.

I'ld say 14 would be a max for me (just back from injury myself) but Ray and others will also have an opinion. Personally its better to have under trained than over trained in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That's really a personal question, it depends on the runner. Some people find them hard to take, others don't. Personally I take 2 or 3 on my long runs (+16 miles) and I find they give me a boost. I will use 3 in Dublin this year as well. Try them out for yourself and see what you think. I presume from your username that you live in Dundalk, you can buy them singularly in Tommy the Bikes at the square, save you having to buy a whole box if you want to test them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭diddleyland

Hi everyone
    First of all congrats to everyone who did their 20miler :)
    I have a question. Since i have been sitting on my ass due to injury over the last couple of weeks i am going to do a shorter taper. So can someone recommend what to do with my mid week runs this week? and how much of an LSR on saturday. I really feel as if i need a bit of a boost on the LSR. I was thinking maybe 16/17 or 18 all depending on how i am feeling on the day. Would this be insane :confused:

i'm not an expert or anything like one but i missed a few weeks of my plan due to being hospital for 5 days so had to start back slowly icon8.gif but just about back on track 5 weeks later did 18lsr on sat but it was tough felt the missed weeks but I know that on the day the support around Dublin will get me through its very hard to be inspired in the wind and rain in the woods by yourself(especially when you fall in the mud after 5 miles just glad no-one saw me!!!) going to taper from now on 15lsr next weekend and 10 the following its my 3rd marathon so i know once i get to 20 miles the excitement wil take over and i wont feel the last 6.2miles icon10.gif

My advice take it handy see what distane those in the know advise, there is no point risking an injury now that would be insane!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

ran my only 20 on saturday. LSR.....S for slow. By the end I was thinking that there is no way in hell I could run any faster. My legs were like jelly. Good news was that I felt no real pain after a cold-ish bath.

did the run in 3hrs 5min on a very windy day in the curragh. So hopefully a flatter, calmer day will help me.

Have big plans to try run year round with a few 1/2's, maybe tri-athy and then dublin again next year. After 18 miles I was thinking I will never run again. Glad to get the miles in though, looking forward to Dublin.

Good to read others experiences, this page is my motivator now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Vagga|||371 miles||
    Nules10|4|27|418.5|feels great to be back just hope i have enough done to see me through :rolleyes:|
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    BobMac104|6|48|449.05 |20mile LSR a big milestone for me and happy to get through uninjured. End of 3 tough weeks for me and I am tired...|
    red face dave|4|37|256 miles|Knee feels much better today|
    Younganne|||248.5m|
    rom|4|33|427.77 miles|Only did a 2nd 18m LSR. Felt very fresh after it as last few weeks wore skins that screwed up my LSR|
    run44 (Aoife)|4|37m|451.7 miles since June|Toughest week down. Can feel the anxiety creeping in already :eek:|
    maggiemissy|4|40m|487 miles|delighted to have achieved the 20 without any problems, happy days||
    specialk1977|||122| |

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Vagga|||371 miles||
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    Younganne|1|5|253.5m|hope to be back on form for next week:mad:
    specialk1977|||122| |

Well done to everyone who got to the 20miler...just keep safe and sane;) until 31st....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 wishihadalife

Hi,

Had a bad final LSR today , only got to 17.3 miles not sure what happened to be honest as I had done a near 21 mile run two weeks ago where I felt (relatively) ok afterward.

I am just wondering should I be worried about the fact that it will now be 5 weeks since my last 20+ run on race day or should I just relax and taper as normal.

I assume there is no point in trying to do another long run in the next few days to reassure myself I can cover the distance?

To be honest I think I have done well mileage wise down the weeks and have done 17/18/19/20 mile runs in the past weeks so I am not too worried it has just knock me a bit that today's being the last was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Hi,

Had a bad final LSR today , only got to 17.3 miles not sure what happened to be honest as I had done a near 21 mile run two weeks ago where I felt (relatively) ok afterward.

I am just wondering should I be worried about the fact that it will now be 5 weeks since my last 20+ run on race day or should I just relax and taper as normal.

I assume there is no point in trying to do another long run in the next few days to reassure myself I can cover the distance?

To be honest I think I have done well mileage wise down the weeks and have done 17/18/19/20 mile runs in the past weeks so I am not too worried it has just knock me a bit that today's being the last was so bad.

Yes u will be okay. You have the miles in the legs. There is a reason there is recovery weeks in most training plans. 4 16+ mile LSR's in previous weeks is what happened today. At least you had the sense to stop when u felt bad and avoided a injury at this late stage. Time to taper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Vagga|3|35 Miles|404 miles|Second 20 done successfully. Had to drop 1 run [tues] due to recovery from Athlone, and my focus on getting to start line healthy :cool:|
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    specialk1977|||122| |

Well done to everyone who got to the 20miler...just keep safe and sane;) until 31st....[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Since i have been sitting on my ass due to injury over the last couple of weeks i am going to do a shorter taper. So can someone recommend what to do with my mid week runs this week? and how much of an LSR on saturday. I really feel as if i need a bit of a boost on the LSR. I was thinking maybe 16/17 or 18 all depending on how i am feeling on the day. Would this be insane :confused:

It wouldn't be completely insane, but there's no real need for it either. You could keep the midweek runs up to 5/10/5 this week and do 15/16 next weekend if you really wanted to - but you are probably better off just going with the taper. Your legs are still recovering and there's no sense in pushing the distance now. Just make sure you get to the start line in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Absolutely, there's a crowd of us doing it, (an excuse for a road trip but don't tell anyone;)) plus one of the lads is pushing to have the Boardsie Xmas night out the same day! The more the merrier!
    I'm booked on the Waterford half already, my second time doing it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Vagga|3|35 Miles|404 miles|Second 20 done successfully. Had to drop 1 run [tues] due to recovery from Athlone, and my focus on getting to start line healthy :cool:|
    liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Mr Abbey|4|39m|332 miles||
    PDCAT|||269.5m|
    specialk1977|||122| |

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I'm booked on the Waterford half already, my second time doing it this year!

Keep an eye on the Waterford Half thread in events, we'll have a plan closer to the time. (For the pub, the race is your own business ;))

Hmmmm.

Mixed weekend. Meant to do my 20 miler. But only got as far as 18. Wasn't dying or anything. Just had enough, was on my own, it was raining etc., almost more a psychological thing rather than a physical one. The good thing was I didn't end up doubled over, with bleeding feet and getting sick or anything, and I'm still hungry to run. I almost talked myself out of pressing on. The circuit was hilly too, an ascent in the first half and descent after that for 3 miles, and skipped the last descent telling myself it was just a coast in at that stage!

Just not sure now whether I should press for one 20 miler still just to get over any psychological issue with the distance, or will I taper back, my heart tells me go for one 20 miler next weekend even though it's well off the schedule above.

Just not sure now whether I should press for one 20 miler still just to get over any psychological issue with the distance, or will I taper back, my heart tells me go for one 20 miler next weekend even though it's well off the schedule above.

I would taper back. The important thing now is to get to the start line in good condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ok need a bit of advice here, done my 20miles yesterday (9th) started out at 6.10am in Bray (southern cross) and ran to stillorgan (Stillorgan park hotel) and back, arrived back at 10.15, I'm looking to do the Marathon in 5hrs or less, does this look ok. I didn't get a chance to take on any gel but had a lucozade sport in shankill and struggled through shankil, but was fine hitting Bray up the main street etc.

Also I did 20km last Sunday(2nd) so I'm thinking maybe do 35km this sunday (16th) taper off, and do 15km on the Sunday (23rd), then marathon on the 31st.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Ok need a bit of advice here, done my 20miles yesterday (9th) started out at 6.10am in Bray (southern cross) and ran to stillorgan (Stillorgan park hotel) and back, arrived back at 10.15, I'm looking to do the Marathon in 5hrs or less, does this look ok. I didn't get a chance to take on any gel but had a lucozade sport in shankill and struggled through shankil, but was fine hitting Bray up the main street etc.

Also I did 20km last Sunday(2nd) so I'm thinking maybe do 35km this sunday (16th) taper off, and do 15km on the Sunday (23rd), then marathon on the 31st.

You should be fine for under 5 hours. But don't run 35km this weekend.
    Start tapering off now, 14 miles/22km on the weekend, 8 miles/12k the weekend before the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ok great, 22km is still a good distance for this sunday, should I stick to my weekly routine which should look like this.

Today swim, Tuesday 5k, Wednesday 3k 1hr circut training, Thursday 3k, Friday 4k 30min circuit training, Saturday rest, Sunday 22k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

No LSR this weekend either, i got up saturday with a dose and ended up back in bed.

Still haven't got to 20 miles.

I'm off early on wen to see my doc and then i'm off to do it and taper from there.

Fingers crossed and third time lucky to actually get out and run.

Mentally i need to get across that 20 mile barrier to give me confidence for the big one.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Ok great, 22km is still a good distance for this sunday, should I stick to my weekly routine which should look like this.

Today swim, Tuesday 5k, Wednesday 3k 1hr circut training, Thursday 3k, Friday 4k 30min circuit training, Saturday rest, Sunday 22k

Yes, the rest of the routine looks fine.
    In the two weeks before the marathon you could start reducing the length of the circuit training sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

liamog|||269.1 miles||
    PDCAT|3|35|304.5m|20 Mile LSR completed. Last 3 miles were a bit tough.
    specialk1977|||122| |

Question guys.

I missed two weeks training lately due to injury. My long runs have been 1 x 20mile, 1 x 16.5 mile, 1 x 15 mile. Mr Slow/Ray - You said couple of weeks ago that cause i had two weeks off injured, i could shorten my taper.

Hal Hidgion novice plan this week had me doin:
    Tuesday - 5mile
    Wednesday - 8mile
    Thursday - 4 mile
    Saturday - 12 mile

I was thinking of increasing my Saturday run by a couple of miles (maybe to 15mile. Would that be ok and leave the rest the way they are. Or do you suggest something different.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dang

Hi, I have already done 20 miles and felt ok after it. Yesterday I did 18 miles as part of my tapering. But towards the end of the 18 miles my legs got very tired and sore and I had to stop. I haven't experienced that before on the long runs. I didn't have any sports drink or gel's during it, only water as I wasn't fully prepared to do 18 miles (I was testing out an injury which didn't creep in so I'm happy about that). Do you think the tiredness or soreness was due to lack of energy you get through gel's etc? Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening on race day?

PDCAT wrote: »
    I missed two weeks training lately due to injury. My long runs have been 1 x 20mile, 1 x 16.5 mile, 1 x 15 mile. Mr Slow/Ray - You said couple of weeks ago that cause i had two weeks off injured, i could shorten my taper.

You could, but you're not going to gain a lot from it. If you hadn't run 20 miles I could understand wanting to get that under your belt, just for the mental benefits. But you have, so what are you going to gain from doing an extra couple of miles during the taper?

dang wrote: »
    Hi, I have already done 20 miles and felt ok after it. Yesterday I did 18 miles as part of my tapering. But towards the end of the 18 miles my legs got very tired and sore and I had to stop. I haven't experienced that before on the long runs. I didn't have any sports drink or gel's during it, only water as I wasn't fully prepared to do 18 miles (I was testing out an injury which didn't creep in so I'm happy about that). Do you think the tiredness or soreness was due to lack of energy you get through gel's etc? Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening on race day?

Tiredness yes, that's a lack of energy, so if you'd taken some sports drinks or gels it would have helped, and if you take them on race day it will help then.

Soreness isn't due to lack of energy, but when you get tired your running form tends to fall apart and that makes you more likely to pick up an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

liamog|||269.1 miles||
    Househunter|5|52m|636 miles|Final 20 miler completed on Sat. Felt great. Good week|
    PDCAT|3|35|304.5m|20 Mile LSR completed. Last 3 miles were a bit tough.
    specialk1977|||122| |

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Just a reminder for those that had forgotten, daylight savings ends the night before the marathon, the Sunday night. Clocks will be going back an hour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Just a reminder for those that had forgotten, daylight savings ends the night before the marathon, the Sunday night. Clocks will be going back an hour...

It's the Sat night/Sunday morning the clocks go back an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Delighted to have managed my 20 miler on Sat. Preparation wasn't great (partly me, partly life interfering !). Had to do it in Cork and despite getting good advice on another thread here about routes decided to stick with a four mile route I knew as wasn't really sure about the safety on other routes. A bit headwrecking doing five laps (had to nearly close my eyes passing the car the last time round). Stayed up till 1.30 night before talking and the kids had me awake again at 6.30 but grabbed a banana and out the door. Took a gel at 4 miles and again at 12. Meant to have another at 16 but was afraid to go near the car in case I found myself driving off. Stopped at a garage instead at about 17.5 miles to grab a lucozade sport. Tough enough at the end but glad to have done it. Hoping that the buzz of the day and proper preparation will see me through the final 6.2 on the day - wouldn't have liked to have to do it on Sat though ! Felt ok afterwards though and managed 5 miles at lunchtime with no bothers.

Advertisement