Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

Hope this isn't the wrong place for this but if anyone needs some running gear, it looks like Lidl and Aldi are both doing Specials from this Thurs.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week41Thursday11.htm
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=14131

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's a Gear subforum, which already has a thread about this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Thanks ray, chinguetti and diddleyland for the advice. Yep it would be silly to get injured again just before marathon day. So i think i will keep the distance up a bit on my mid week runs and see how the weekend goes and the legs. Diddleyland,hopefully no mud to fall into on the day ;)
    Thanks guys. I have no more questions.......... well for today anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

So far for my LSR I've done:
    3x18m
    1x19m
    1x20m
    1x22m.

Last Sat week I done my 22m and followed that up with a tough running week (2 speed work sessions) and a 10miler midweek.
    Sat just gone, I had very sore knees on my 18miler. Had to stop and talk many walk breaks.

Muscles felt great, feet felt great, lungs felt great - didn't feel 'tired' - just my knees were very sore.

Hopefully its just down to too much milage and the rest will do me good over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

pistol_75 wrote: »
    It's the Sat night/Sunday morning the clocks go back an hour.
    Ah yes, I read 1am Sunday and thought Sunday night, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

alanking wrote: »
    3x18m
    1x19m
    1x20m
    1x22m.

Last Sat week I done my 22m and followed that up with a tough running week (2 speed work sessions) and a 10miler midweek.
    Sat just gone, I had very sore knees on my 18miler. Had to stop and talk many walk breaks.

Muscles felt great, feet felt great, lungs felt great - didn't feel 'tired' - just my knees were very sore.

Hopefully its just down to too much milage and the rest will do me good over the coming weeks.

:eek: you'll have no trouble going the distance anyway. what time you looking at?

BobMac104 wrote: »
    :eek: you'll have no trouble going the distance anyway. what time you looking at?

Its my 1st Marathon - I done the half in 1:40 (my 1st) and felt fine during and after.
    Part of me is tempted to try for 3:30, but I'm afraid my knees will blow up early. Maybe 3:45 is more appropriate??
    8:40 per mile seems slow as I was doing 7:40 for the half.

Any advice anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Its my 1st Marathon - I done the half in 1:40 (my 1st) and felt fine during and after.
    Part of me is tempted to try for 3:30, but I'm afraid my knees will blow up early. Maybe 3:45 is more appropriate??
    8:40 per mile seems slow as I was doing 7:40 for the half.

Any advice anyone?

We see a lot of 1'38-1'40 half runners on here attempt 3'30. It's a big ask and most fail i won't lie, but everyones different. How about sub 3'40 and push on near the end of your feeling good.

We see a lot of 1'38-1'40 half runners on here attempt 3'30. It's a big ask and most fail i won't lie, but everyones different. How about sub 3'40 and push on near the end of your feeling good.

Yeah, as its my 1st one, I'm unsure what to expect. My real goal was a sub 4 1st Marathon, as my training progressed and my times got better, my goal changed!!
    3:45 it is. With a push to 3:40. (I really doubt I'll be feeling good towards the end !)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yeah, as its my 1st one, I'm unsure what to expect. My real goal was a sub 4 1st Marathon, as my training progressed and my times got better, my goal changed!!
    3:45 it is. With a push to 3:40. (I really doubt I'll be feeling good towards the end !)

I'd have to agree with that target, especially since its your first marathon. Nothing fun about blowing up and trailing home in over 4 hrs. The last 5-6 mls are handy enough to push on near the end if you can. I'll be pacing 3'45, best of luck with the taper and see you there :)

• Advertisement

man do i feel undertrained reading those LSRs. fair play man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3x18m
    1x19m
    1x20m
    1x22m.

What was your normal midweek program like?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    What was your normal midweek program like?

Sat morn: LSR

Sun: Rest

Mon: 4-5m
    Tues: 7m (5@7:40 pace)
    Wed: 6x800 with 200 jog recovery. (plus 1 WU & 1 M CD)
    Thur/Fri - rest.

I try to run 3 days in a row to train on tired legs. then recover for the long run on Sat, with good recovery and easy session after the LSR.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    man do i feel undertrained reading those LSRs. fair play man!!

My fear is that I've overtrained as my knees are hurting a lot more, recently.

Nah Taper will see you right i reckon. A few swims might ease em out for ya.

Well done again!

Sat morn: LSR

Sun: Rest

Mon: 4-5m
    Tues: 7m (5@7:40 pace)
    Wed: 6x800 with 200 jog recovery. (plus 1 WU & 1 M CD)
    Thur/Fri - rest.

I try to run 3 days in a row to train on tired legs. then recover for the long run on Sat, with good recovery and easy session after the LSR.

I'd stick with Brian's advice if I were you, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Hi Ray, I have a very un ambitious target of just under 5 hours. My longest run to date is 17 miles, my 20 mile run was supposed to be today but I have a head cold. Now hope to do the 20 miles this coming weekend, so my question is: do I go ahead and try it when feeling better or do I leave it as getting too close to marathon date? Thanks for the information, really appreciate it.

Hi Ray, I have a very un ambitious target of just under 5 hours. My longest run to date is 17 miles, my 20 mile run was supposed to be today but I have a head cold. Now hope to do the 20 miles this coming weekend, so my question is: do I go ahead and try it when feeling better or do I leave it as getting too close to marathon date? Thanks for the information, really appreciate it.

It depends on what you want to get from the run.
    20 miles this weekend (instead of 14) isn't really going to make you any fitter, not this close to the marathon. One run, of whatever distance, doesn't have that effect. It's the buildup of lots of runs over the months of training that makes you fit enough to run the marathon.
    But if you're worried that you don't have a very long run in, and you really want to tick that 20 mile box, two weeks out from the marathon leaves you enough time for recovery. Just make sure to take it slow and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Thanks Ray, makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

My fear is that I've overtrained as my knees are hurting a lot more, recently.
    Could it be that you are a heel striker? If your feet are hitting the ground heel first, rather than midfoot or forefoot, then that could put more strain on your knees. Just a suggestion.

• Advertisement

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Could it be that you are a heel striker? If your feet are hitting the ground heel first, rather than midfoot or forefoot, then that could put more strain on your knees. Just a suggestion.

His runners could also be past their prime!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    His runners could also be past their prime!

Do not change your running style this close to DCM. I dont think there is enough time to break in a new pair of runners either.

ger664 wrote: »
    Do not change your running style this close to DCM. I dont think there is enough time to break in a new pair of runners either.

I agree of course on the running style but if his current runners are knackered as mine were recently, extra padding can only help. It all depends of course on how sensitive to small changes his biomechanics are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

After 3 times of trying i will finally do my 20 miler today.

After that is a taper to Oct 31st.

ger664 wrote: »

I'd agree about the running style. If you were buying a pair of the same runners as before, and they didn't need breaking in then, you'd be okay.

But it's probably just the heavy mileage causing the knee pain and the taper (plus running on grass where possible) should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well I suppose I'm one of those so:). My most recent half was 1.40 in Achill. I've improved a bit since then and Achill is tough so I'm determined to give 3.30 a good go. I did Athlone 3/4 in 2.42 (58,53, 51 splits), took Ray's advice and started slow, felt fine throughout.

I like to set ambitious goals and if I don't fail occasionally then I'm not doing that.

You can tell me I'm deluded now or wait until you're jogging past me at mile 20 and I'm conked out on the pavement.:o

On an unrelated note, would it be a bad idea to run in a 10k race at the weekend? Haven't done one for a while, there may be a pb waiting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

snailsong wrote: »
    Well I suppose I'm one of those so:). My most recent half was 1.40 in Achill. I've improved a bit since then and Achill is tough so I'm determined to give 3.30 a good go. I did Athlone 3/4 in 2.42 (58,53, 51 splits), took Ray's advice and started slow, felt fine throughout.

I like to set ambitious goals and if I don't fail occasionally then I'm not doing that.

You can tell me I'm deluded now or wait until you're jogging past me at mile 20 and I'm conked out on the pavement.:o

i admire your confidence.
    i might join you.

snailsong wrote: »
    On an unrelated note, would it be a bad idea to run in a 10k race at the weekend? Haven't done one for a while, there may be a pb waiting for me.

There's a bunch of us running Donadea at the weekend - a 10k race two weeks out is part of the P&D training plan (followed by a 16 mile LSR the next day :( )

re. ambitious goals - is this your first marathon?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    There's a bunch of us running Donadea at the weekend - a 10k race two weeks out is part of the P&D training plan (followed by a 16 mile LSR the next day :( )

re. ambitious goals - is this your first marathon?

Yes

Advertisement