Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

I cannot lie. I was bold yesterday and did not take RayCuns advices and did my 20+ mile run. In my defence there was a guy running the Ring of Kerry for charity and was asked to run alongside him for a while. And it was very very slow, with lots of stops. 23 miles over about 5 hours, and that's that from me, 2 weeks of easing up ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|4|30 Miles|434 miles|Missed a run Thursday due to real life issues - but a good first taper week none the less|
    Nules10|4|39|457.5|17m LSR today. needed to do this. went well. taper for me now|
    Househunter|||636 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    ShivDCM|||377m||
    BobMac104|||449.05 ||
    red face dave|||256 miles||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|||358.8 miles| |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|28.7m|480.4 miles|All going well so far. Legs feeling fresh.|
    maggiemissy|||487 miles||
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Vagga|4|30 Miles|434 miles|Missed a run Thursday due to real life issues - but a good first taper week none the less|
    Nules10|4|39|457.5|17m LSR today. needed to do this. went well. taper for me now|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    ShivDCM|4|28|405m|feeling good|
    BobMac104|||449.05 ||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|||358.8 miles| |

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesmurphy1

Hi Ray and all the lads

I've been following this thread for the last few weeks and found it great hoping to do 04.30 or better did Athlone in 03.17 but felt strong at the finish and managed to keep running at the last big hill just two questions Ray showing my inexperience What are strides and if you feel good towards the last 5 miles in the marathon at what point is the best point to increase your speed and still avoid blowing up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    BobMac104|5|39|488.05 |15m LSR felt fine this morning. much easier week to come now.|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|||358.8 miles| |

This week was around 77% of peak milage. gonna pull this back to around 50% this week (thanks Mr Slow) with a 10mLSR for next sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Did the 'Golden Triangle' 10k today, a small local event with about 50 competitors run between the villages of Cross, Cong and The Neale in Mayo. Friendly and cheap this no frills race was perfect for my needs. I was aiming for sub 44 or better. Planned 4.20 k's throughout. Started a bit quicker as it was downhill and banked a few seconds, managed to hold on to them on the uphill section. Kept close to planned pace against a difficult headwind k's 6-9, finished strong with a final 3.58 k. Overall 42.20 for a 1 min 45sec pb. Felt good throughout and no injury worries so delighted with that outcome. In a very positive frame of mind regarding the proposed 3.30 marathon.

Also a good friend was hoping for his first sub 40 and he stopped his garmin on 39:59.93. Paced even better than my 1:39:59.59 in Achill when I attempted the 100 minute half!

No fixed plan for this week, what do you guys recommend? I'm off Tuesday so that would be a good day for a longish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What are strides and if you feel good towards the last 5 miles in the marathon at what point is the best point to increase your speed and still avoid blowing up

Strides are short, relaxed bursts of speed at the end of a run, designed to improve running form and leg speed.
    If you make it to the top of Fosters Avenue on pace, it's about 5 miles home and mostly downhill. It's the ideal place to start increasing your speed, if you feel up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    BobMac104|5|39|488.05 |15m LSR felt fine this morning. much easier week to come now.|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|4|29|387.8 miles|Good week. Looking forward to another easier week though as legs are not as fresh as I'd like after last week's LSR!|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    red face dave|1|4.5|261.5 miles|Bad week|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|4|29|387.8 miles|Good week. Looking forward to another easier week though as legs are not as fresh as I'd like after last week's LSR!|

Bad week still some knee issues last week but feel much better after the few days off looking forward to a good bit of running this week. The final push;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi all,

Got a 16 mile LSR done yesterday, delighted to have gotten that run in and feeling good today no niggles or aches.

Been having a look at the map of the course and just wanted to get some opinions, am i right in thinking that mile 18 - 21 are the key miles of the race? looks like hilly and at that stage im thinking that that is make or break for the remaining miles!

Good work all, enjoy the taper and look forward to the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Been having a look at the map of the course and just wanted to get some opinions, am i right in thinking that mile 18 - 21 are the key miles of the race? looks like hilly and at that stage im thinking that that is make or break for the remaining miles!

Good work all, enjoy the taper and look forward to the day

The make or break miles in a marathon are miles 1 - 6. It is very easy to get caught up with the excitement and adrenalin on the day that you burn off way too much energy and pay for it in the last 10K.

Miles 18-21 are where you realise that you were going too fast in miles 1-6 :D
    It's where people drop off the pace/start walking/give up, but the damage was done earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »
    Miles 18-21 are where you realise that you were going too fast in miles 1-6 :D
    It's where people drop off the pace/start walking/give up, but the damage was done earlier.

It's also one of the tougher parts of the course in Dublin, a slow uphill drag from Milltown to Foster's Avenue through Clonskeagh, and there generally doesn't seem to be as much support around that area as there is elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

ger664 wrote: »
    The make or break miles in a marathon are miles 1 - 6. It is very easy to get caught up with the excitement and adrenalin on the day that you burn off way too much energy and pay for it in the last 10K.

Sounds right, I've a feeling I'll need to focus to get the start right. Did the first 5 miles of my long run yesterday in 37:XX mins again, not a clever pace. Started to pay for it around 16 miles. Oh well... glad to be in Tapertown all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I went out for a 2hr run yesterday, a bit of a step down from the previous LSRs. After about 17k I got a twinge in the tendon at the back of my knee, so I thought it best to walk for 30sec. It felt fine so I started running again and instantly got a shot of pain in the same place and was brought to a standstill. I started walking but could only walk slowly, kind of a hobble really. The 4k back to the house took 50mins.
    Very sore going up or down stairs, and a bit sore walking. I'm icing it and will try to get to the physio tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Househunter|5|35m|671 miles|Missed 10k "tune up race" on Sat but did my 16 miles on Sunday and it went well|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

Vagga|||404 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    ShivDCM|||377m||
    BobMac104|||449.05 ||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|||358.8 miles| |
    maggiemissy|4|28m|515 miles||

Househunter|5|35m|671 miles|Missed 10k "tune up race" on Sat but did my 16 miles on Sunday and it went well|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    maggiemissy|4|28|515 miles||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Hi Ray, any recommendations on what to do this week, I was thinking of doing this -

MONDAY Rest/swim
    TUESDAY 3km
    WEDNESDAY 4km/core work
    THURSDAY 5km
    FRIDAY Rest/30min core work
    SATURDAY 4km
    SUNDAY 10k

Also I found my current race runners a bit flat coming back on my 30km run last week.

Would it be ok to go and buy a new pair today and break them in over the next two weeks ? or just stick to my current ones (I'm rotating them with an older pair)

How does that compare with a normal week?

It's getting a bit close to race day to be buying a new pair of runners. If you got the same model and size, and wore them a lot over the next two weeks you should be okay.
    Or you could take your current pair and put them aside for the next couple of weeks, only taking them out again on race day. That would let them recover some of their bounce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Its probably half the mileage I'd normally do, should I do more then that.

Regarding the runners putting them aside might be the best option alright, I was only using them for my long runs once a week, and they were fine for 22km yesterday but I have them 3 months now...

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Its probably half the mileage I'd normally do, should I do more then that.

Regarding the runners putting them aside might be the best option alright, I was only using them for my long runs once a week, and they were fine for 22km yesterday but I have them 3 months now...

You could do 2/3 of your normal mileage this week, and 1/3 next week.

I'd say your shoes are fine, it's just a bit of taper madness creeping in...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dang

Hi, I find it hard to run after food in my stomach even after a few hours. For the half marathon this year I ate a banana and felt ok during the run, although I know I should be eating a bit more, but I tend to get a really bad side stitch when I do. I know the morning of the marathon I will have to get fuel into me. Just wondering if you have any advice on what to eat that morning about 3 hours before it that isn't that heavy but will do the job?

What have you been doing for your long runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dang

For my long runs I have been setting out pretty early, about 7:30/8am and would have carbo loaded the night before and taken gels throughout the run. I would only have had water before starting out on the run, it seemed to have worked ok as I was able to finish the runs with no major issues. But I know on the day with the full 26.2 miles I'll need more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||304.5m|
    Younganne|0||253.5m|Hope to get a few short runs in this week, but if im not up to that then the marathon is off for me:mad:
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    maggiemissy|4|28|515 miles||

dang wrote: »
    For my long runs I have been setting out pretty early, about 7:30/8am and would have carbo loaded the night before and taken gels throughout the run. I would only have had water before starting out on the run, it seemed to have worked ok as I was able to finish the runs with no major issues. But I know on the day with the full 26.2 miles I'll need more than that.

Do you always run first thing in the morning? What about midweek runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 freddzeppelin

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could pass on some advice. I've being following the attached training schedule in preparation for the 31st but yesterday I missed my long Sunday run due to an upset stomach.

Any ideas on what the best way is to recover this lost session? Any advice would be great!

Any ideas on what the best way is to recover this lost session? Any advice would be great!

Just forget about it. One run in a training plan is just that - one run. There are about 500 miles in that training plan, 20 here or there isn't going to make much difference. It's more important at this point to taper down and be rested for race day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|4m/6k|6m/10k|3m/5k|rest|8m/13k|cross

Hi ray... probably a silly question. Since i started my taper a week later should i slot in and follow the above for this week.

Advertisement