Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

ultraman1 wrote: »

None of that sounds too appealing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

High 5 Gels for hydration: 4 = 1 before race + 1 hour + 1 hour + 1 hour
    Gu Gels for food: 2 = 1 @ half marathon + 1 @ 32 k
    All in a asic Bung bag / fanny pack which I've been runnning with for a while.

Dont like the arm band thing... irritates me when my arm starts sweating and it starts slipping.

Muppet Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cr17 wrote: »
    I understand that High 5 would like us to eat one every 5 minutes but whats the general consensus among the 4 hour goal runners, no gels ? 2-3 gels ?

Last year I took gels at 6, 12, 18, and 21 miles.
    They were the Powerbar gels, that need to be washed down with water, so I took them just before the water stations.
    I'm planning to do the same this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

+1 Ray,
    Last year I took gels at 6, 12, 18, and 21 miles.
    Mine were the SIS isogels, which don't need to be taken with water but im inclined to take them and then wash them down..... was glad of the one at 21 miles as it kicked in when thing were starting to get tough at 23 miles!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Muppet Man wrote: »
    High 5 Gels for hydration: 4 = 1 before race + 1 hour + 1 hour + 1 hour
    Gu Gels for food: 2 = 1 @ half marathon + 1 @ 32 k
    All in a asic Bung bag / fanny pack which I've been runnning with for a while.

Dont like the arm band thing... irritates me when my arm starts sweating and it starts slipping.

Muppet Man
    why 1hr before MM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Sorry, that was misleading - one High 5 before the race- probably in the pen, about 5 minutes before kick off... and one every hour after that.

Cheers
    Muppet Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I actually laughed at this - as half the "newbie" advice I see here and elsewhere says "keep a steady pace all the way, you want to run the same pace the whole distance if you can" and the other half of "newbie" advice I see says to go conservative and somewhat take it easy for circa 15 miles and then if you have energy go mad and really push on for last bit...

Make yer minds up ffs :pac:

I plan to run like fcuk from the start. Sure I'll be home before I have a chance to get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dk1982

Will the water stations have bottles or cups??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

RayCun wrote: »
    In the last minute or two before the start, the bystanders on the side of the road are buried under a rain of old clothes from the runners in the pens.

And Lucozade bottles full of pee apparently.

dk1982 wrote: »
    Will the water stations have bottles or cups??

300ml water bottles with sports tops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'd be cautious about following the fluid intake guidelines. Here's a thoughtful article on what level and type of fluids are needed. I'd add that I know people who don't drink at all and plenty of people who drink very little during a marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

max imo wud be 4 and dats with scoffin 2 at the last 4/5 miles

I would recommend against taking any more once you're 30 mins away from the end. In my experience they last for about 30 minutes (if it's different for you then adjust accordingly) and once you're finished you can get some solid food (which you will crave) in. It's a good idea to bring a sandwich and/or something salty to leave in your bag for after the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Clearlier wrote: »
    I would recommend against taking any more once you're 30 mins away from the end. In my experience they last for about 30 minutes (if it's different for you then adjust accordingly) and once you're finished you can get some solid food (which you will crave) in. It's a good idea to bring a sandwich and/or something salty to leave in your bag for after the race.

i dont think many here on the mentored novices thread will be doing the last 4/5 miles in 30mins.If they are availabale and you feel you mite need them to get you to the finish line at that point then take one rather than not edit.im not advocating takin 2 gels at mile 21..what i was tryin to say was 4 max inclusive of two emergency ones only to be used if u are on ur knees

RayCun wrote: »
    You should already know how you are getting to the marathon in the morning, and what time you'll have to leave. If you don't - go and check your timetables. I think it's a Sunday service for public transport- LUAS is fine, DART is useless, buses will not be frequent.

Just announced today, DART and commuter lines will be running extra, early trains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nules I am in the same boat.

Between loosing my garmin, having a throat infection, antibiotics, working 60+ hour weeks and a bad ankle I need to be happy with sub 5 hours.

:D
    I will be in good company so tiptoe. Hope the infection clears up. 60+ hrs a week :eek: I have it easy so. At least we will be getting value for money out on the course for 5 hrs ;)

Re the carrying of gels. I went for my 6 miler this evening and managed to put 4 into my running bottoms back pocket.... granted i look as if i have the oddest bum around but they were grand in there... as long as one doesn't go pop :rolleyes: but i was hoping to take one at 6 miles, 12, 18 and 21. I could just carry two and hope there are gels left at the gel stations but i don't want to risk that. i also had a small plastic bag (like the ones the spare buttons come with tops) on the front with a couple of painkillers in them (just in case) had no pins to practice this one so i used a hair clip instead and it was grand, no fear of a pin stabbing me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

do you get much of a kick out of high5 gels? I have never used them but planning on if im to make it to the end of the marathon.

Chaos wrote: »
    do you get much of a kick out of high5 gels? I have never used them but planning on if im to make it to the end of the marathon.

They seem to work for me. i have a cast iron stomach and most gels i can take. But decided on these as they are the ones they are handing out on the day. You probably should try them before the day to make sure they agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nules10 wrote: »
    Re the carrying of gels. I went for my 6 miler this evening and managed to put 4 into my running bottoms back pocket.... granted i look as if i have the oddest bum around but they were grand in there... as long as one doesn't go pop :rolleyes: but i was hoping to take one at 6 miles, 12, 18 and 21. I could just carry two and hope there are gels left at the gel stations but i don't want to risk that. i also had a small plastic bag (like the ones the spare buttons come with tops) on the front with a couple of painkillers in them (just in case) had no pins to practice this one so i used a hair clip instead and it was grand, no fear of a pin stabbing me :)

I use the pocket all the time - the bit of bouncing isn't noticeable, I find. You can also pin the gels to the waistline of the shorts (see the "where do you carry your gels" thread in the main ART forum).

Personally, I think a gel at mile zero does no harm at all.

brownian wrote: »
    I use the pocket all the time - the bit of bouncing isn't noticeable, I find. You can also pin the gels to the waistline of the shorts (see the "where do you carry your gels" thread in the main ART forum).

Personally, I think a gel at mile zero does no harm at all.
    have to say they didnt bother me at all in the pocket. A gel starting off... never thought about that. have never done it might try it on my 8 miler this weekend. Might try pinning one to the bottoms too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

have to say they didnt bother me at all in the pocket. A gel starting off... never thought about that. have never done it might try it on my 8 miler this weekend. Might try pinning one to the bottoms too.

I'm just back from 6 there and I safety pinned two to me and then one in the leggings pouch. No troubles with them at all. Am building up to 4 by the wkd. Who'd have thought....building the amount of gels to carry and not the miles for a change ;)

I'm just back from 6 there and I safety pinned two to me and then one in the leggings pouch. No troubles with them at all. Am building up to 4 by the wkd. Who'd have thought....building the amount of gels to carry and not the miles for a change ;)

I am finding this all a bit stressful to be honest :o, do i have enough have i too much what if they burst. My sis passed me as i was on my cool down walk and i hopped into the car.... forgetting i had 4 gels on my bum :D they survived

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

My sis passed me as i was on my cool down walk and i hopped into the car.... forgetting i had 4 gels on my bum :D they survived

Oh thank God. I couldnt think of a worse way to go....killed in an explosion of gicky gel goo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

I am finding this all a bit stressful to be honest :o, do i have enough have i too much what if they burst. My sis passed me as i was on my cool down walk and i hopped into the car.... forgetting i had 4 gels on my bum :D they survived

Sounds like a load of un needed stress/hassle.
    Why dont you get something like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/asics-running-pouch/?&source=MaxiFeed&id=5360061426

I had six iso gels in it with room for more and it was barely noticeable on during my run.
    Might be a bit late to order off wiggle but I'm sure as was previous mentioned you could get something similar in amphibian king/ runworks/ elverys etc.

Thanks Shiv mite try some of the sports shops tomorrow and see if i can pick up one. If not the pocket will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dsenna

Hi Ray ,Guys
    I have been following the HH1 plan and this thread (great work by all) this will be my first all going well ,hope to be with the 4.30 guys on the day ,my question is ,on the map I dont see any port-a-loo locations and because of a medical condition I will need maybe 2 stops in my race time ,and the second question if anyone can help, would it be better to speed up a little before my stop to get ahead of the pace group or try to catch up after ? thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Dsenna wrote: »
    Hi Ray ,Guys
    I have been following the HH1 plan and this thread (great work by all) this will be my first all going well ,hope to be with the 4.30 guys on the day ,my question is ,on the map I dont see any port-a-loo locations and because of a medical condition I will need maybe 2 stops in my race time ,and the second question if anyone can help, would it be better to speed up a little before my stop to get ahead of the pace group or try to catch up after ? thanks guys

"Toilets will be provided at the baggage area, a small amount will be provided in the start area. There will also be 10 locations with toilets on the route, close to the water stations"

I got that from this link: http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_faq.php

Dsenna wrote: »
    would it be better to speed up a little before my stop to get ahead of the pace group or try to catch up after ? thanks guys

You can speed up a little bit before and after, just don't speed up too much, just by about 10 seconds a mile. You won't get right back into the group immediately, but you should be able to see them and work your way back up slowly. If you try to catch up too fast you'll burn too much energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

cr17 wrote: »
    I,m a bit shocked at the amount of gels that email from DCM and others recommend on the day. Have only ever used one on any of my lsr and now i,m meant to scoff about 6 or 7 on the day ??? Was expecting to do maybe 3.
    Get the logic but but you cant really mirror that amount in training.
    I saw that, one of the guys in the video said he used 9 in the race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I read an article in the latest issue of Irish Runner on race prep. It was saying that to get the best out of carb loading, you should do carb depletion from Tuesday to Thursday, then carb load Friday onwards. Anyone tried this?

Advertisement