Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I read an article in the latest issue of Irish Runner on race prep. It was saying that to get the best out of carb loading, you should do carb depletion from Tuesday to Thursday, then carb load Friday onwards. Anyone tried this?

A friend tried it recently and hated it but felt it helped. My understanding is that scientifically there's no evidence to support it so you're looking for a psychological boost really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

id say if you were a decent runner something like this may help but for us id say it wont make much of a difference. Id say just eat well for the week (no crap) and have a few plates of pasta couple days before and that should see us right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I read an article in the latest issue of Irish Runner on race prep. It was saying that to get the best out of carb loading, you should do carb depletion from Tuesday to Thursday, then carb load Friday onwards.

yes, I've heard that too - the theory being that by depleting your store of carbs early in the week, you increase the amount that will be stored later on. I'd advise against trying this on your first marathon. Even on later marathons, I'd look for one-to-one advice from someone who knows exactly how this should be done.

The general rule to follow next week is don't do anything new
    That applies to 'normal' carbo-loading too. Eat a normal healthy diet. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg, no alcohol, cut out the treats.

On the day before the marathon
    • don't eat a ginormous bowl of pasta for dinner, because half of it might still be in your stomach the next day
    • don't eat red meat, it takes longer to digest
    • consider having your main meal early in the day, and a lighter meal in the evening
    • it's okay to eat more refined carbs (white insteadof wholewheat bread/pasta)
    • but mainly, don't do anything drastic

Then eat your normal breakfast on the day of the marathon, whatever you are used to eating before your long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    yes, I've heard that too - the theory being that by depleting your store of carbs early in the week, you increase the amount that will be stored later on. I'd advise against trying this on your first marathon. Even on later marathons, I'd look for one-to-one advice who knows exactly how this should be done.

The general rule to follow next week is don't do anything new
    That applies to 'normal' carbo-loading too. Eat a normal healthy diet. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg, no alcohol, cut out the treats.

If you've had a glass of wine or a few bottles of beer the night before your long runs, there's no reason to not do that before the marathon especially if it relaxes you. Just be sure to keep it to a minimum and have at least twice as much water as alcoholic drink to ensure you remain hydrated.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    If you've had a glass of wine or a few bottles of beer the night before your long runs, there's no reason to not do that before the marathon especially if it relaxes you. Just be sure to keep it to a minimum and have at least twice as much water as alcoholic drink to ensure you remain hydrated.

Put it like this - ideally, all through your training, you would be getting your five fruit and veg a day, avoiding chocolate, avoiding alcohol, getting 8 hours sleep a night, crosstraining and stretching and whatever. Living a perfectly healthy life, treating your body as a temple, training to the absolute best of your ability.

None of us do that. We miss a bit of training, we eat what we shouldn't, we have a drink, we stay up late etc, etc, etc All of these things do hurt our training, but only a little bit. We usually aren't working so hard that a drink here or there is going to make much difference.

On marathon day, we will be working that hard. So the cleaner we can be in the week before, the better. If a glass of wine helps you relax and get to sleep, that's probably better than missing an hour's sleep. But it would be even better if you just went to sleep without the wine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Walker11

hey all, thanks for all the advice. I was doing ok until after my first 18mile (which I took slow on your advice and finished feeling like I could definitely keep going). Then I had a cold, missed some LSRs and midweeks, then sore knee meant I only got to 17miles instead of 20mLSR. Since then I've done between 12-25 miles/week and finally beginning to feel better this week, but only did 4 miles Tues, and will go out again tonight. My problem now is I was aiming for 4h30 (HM = 1h57, 10m=1h31) and would still like to get in in that time, but now not sure if that's realistic and what to go for, was thinking try 4.45 and see can I go a bit faster toward end, but would have to follow a paceband rather than pacers. Any advice? The panic is setting in now, been awake last 2 nights after nightmares about the marathon, being really slow or missing the start!:eek:

Walker11 wrote: »
    hey all, thanks for all the advice. I was doing ok until after my first 18mile (which I took slow on your advice and finished feeling like I could definitely keep going). Then I had a cold, missed some LSRs and midweeks, then sore knee meant I only got to 17miles instead of 20mLSR. Since then I've done between 12-25 miles/week and finally beginning to feel better this week, but only did 4 miles Tues, and will go out again tonight. My problem now is I was aiming for 4h30 (HM = 1h57, 10m=1h31) and would still like to get in in that time, but now not sure if that's realistic

4.30 is probably still realistic, even with the missed training. I'd say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

So I am coming in from Kill in the morning. What is the best way for me to get in there ? Luas or something like that ? What station should I drive to etc ?

rom wrote: »
    So I am coming in from Kill in the morning. What is the best way for me to get in there ? Luas or something like that ? What station should I drive to etc ?

Train any good to you? You should be able to drive all the way into town from Kill (or to the Red Cow for a LUAS), but how are you going to get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Train any good to you? You should be able to drive all the way into town from Kill (or to the Red Cow for a LUAS), but how are you going to get home?

"but how are you going to get home ?" yeah may be better to get a lift :)

• Advertisement

Walker11 wrote: »
    hey all, thanks for all the advice. I was doing ok until after my first 18mile (which I took slow on your advice and finished feeling like I could definitely keep going). Then I had a cold, missed some LSRs and midweeks, then sore knee meant I only got to 17miles instead of 20mLSR. Since then I've done between 12-25 miles/week and finally beginning to feel better this week, but only did 4 miles Tues, and will go out again tonight. My problem now is I was aiming for 4h30 (HM = 1h57, 10m=1h31) and would still like to get in in that time, but now not sure if that's realistic and what to go for, was thinking try 4.45 and see can I go a bit faster toward end, but would have to follow a paceband rather than pacers. Any advice? The panic is setting in now, been awake last 2 nights after nightmares about the marathon, being really slow or missing the start!:eek:

had a dream where i forgot to get my number the other night and i was pleading with them to let me register....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Walker11

4.30 is probably still realistic, even with the missed training. I'd say go for it!

yippee - thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

+1 on pushing for the 4.30.

The pace group is also useful for encouragement and motivation when you hit a couple of dark moments on the way around - might be the push you need that you wouldn't get if you were out on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Mr Slow wrote: »

Put it like this - ideally, all through your training, you would be getting your five fruit and veg a day, avoiding chocolate, avoiding alcohol, getting 8 hours sleep a night, crosstraining and stretching and whatever. Living a perfectly healthy life, treating your body as a temple, training to the absolute best of your ability.

None of us do that. We miss a bit of training, we eat what we shouldn't, we have a drink, we stay up late etc, etc, etc All of these things do hurt our training, but only a little bit. We usually aren't working so hard that a drink here or there is going to make much difference.

On marathon day, we will be working that hard. So the cleaner we can be in the week before, the better. If a glass of wine helps you relax and get to sleep, that's probably better than missing an hour's sleep. But it would be even better if you just went to sleep without the wine.

Oops have had the worse couple of days ever re diet. I have been very careful to follow training plan but since I have started tapering I have eaten sooooo much crap! I think Im anxious and the crap eating is making me more anxious!!
    So from this moment on I am going to follow all the dietary advice , I know it's common sense but seeing it laid out in simple terms makes it seems more achievable .
    Cheers Ray! My body is a temple from now til October 31st!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dsenna

You can speed up a little bit before and after, just don't speed up too much, just by about 10 seconds a mile. You won't get right back into the group immediately, but you should be able to see them and work your way back up slowly. If you try to catch up too fast you'll burn too much energy.
    Thanks for that Ray ,will give it a go on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

Nules10 wrote: »
    I am finding this all a bit stressful to be honest :o, do i have enough have i too much what if they burst. My sis passed me as i was on my cool down walk and i hopped into the car.... forgetting i had 4 gels on my bum :D they survived

Tried putting two gels into the back zip of my shorts on my final 33km LSR.
    I need to carry my car key with me and this pierced one of the gels and I had sticky bum for about 8km.

Yeah! the 5 hour pacers for us it is Nules!

I guess we will all have to hang about town for a bit afterwards?

I wonder when we can get a bus / dart home again?

Coz I am sure I will not be walking!! :D

I guess we will all have to hang about town for a bit afterwards?

You'll be in McGrattans!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quarter pounder

hey all, running my first dub city marathon this year, was due to run it with a work friend who has done three previously, but he has had to drop out due to injury. I think my training has gone pretty well so would be hoping to do it in 4.30. how do you find the pace groups at the beginning of the race, is it easy to link up with them. have to say nerves are kicking in a bit now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The pacers will be the lads with the huge ballons with the times on them with different colours with each time band. They will be mobbed by people standing about 5 yards away in awe at them :D (or so they wish)

I think 4.30 are in wave 3 but it should be all explained at the pacer stand at the Expo.

Good luck, the nerves are normal and you ain't hit the worse point yet cause you're 10 days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

hey all, running my first dub city marathon this year, was due to run it with a work friend who has done three previously, but he has had to drop out due to injury. I think my training has gone pretty well so would be hoping to do it in 4.30. how do you find the pace groups at the beginning of the race, is it easy to link up with them. have to say nerves are kicking in a bit now..

Pacer will be in place early and will sporting a sexy green outfit with balloons attached stating which time they will be running.

4:30 will most likely be in the middle of the 3rd wave but enquire at the pacer stand in the expo for definite positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I have no idea whether I picked a wave at registration or if I have to pick at the expo. Can't find anything in my emails from DCM.

How does this work?

hardCopy wrote: »
    I have no idea whether I picked a wave at registration or if I have to pick at the expo. Can't find anything in my emails from DCM.

When you entered the marathon you had to put down an estimated finishing time, and that's used to assign you to a wave. The number you collect at the Expo will have a colour corresponding to the wave.

I think you can work it out from your number - 1-5000 are in the first wave, 5-10k are second wave, 10k+ are third wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

When you entered the marathon you had to put down an estimated finishing time, and that's used to assign you to a wave. The number you collect at the Expo will have a colour corresponding to the wave.

I think you can work it out from your number - 1-5000 are in the first wave, 5-10k are second wave, 10k+ are third wave.

Hmmm, I'm in the 8,000's so am probably in the second wave (curse my optimism). Looks like I won't be able to run with the 4:15 pacers then, unless they let people move from pen to pen.

You can move down through the pens, that's not a problem.

If you want to move up through the pens, you need to go to the Info desk at the Expo and get a sticker from them.

you can just run off and they will catch you i reckon. Dont stress.

Ahh 10 days!!!!!! I have got to stop checking boards so often. I'll be a nervous wreck come the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

BobMac104 wrote: »
    you can just run off and they will catch you i reckon. Dont stress.

There are 5 minute gaps between each wave starting.

oh yes forgot about that.

hardCopy wrote: »

How does this work?

Don't panic, they're only really strict about the first wave, I moved up a wave last year to start near the four hour balloons, I was not in 4hr shape however and once they turned the corner that was the last I saw of them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Just wondering what time I should be there if I want to be near 3.45 pacers? What time do people start lining up at? Dont want to be running around like a headless chicken!:D
    Thanks

• Advertisement

suseoh wrote: »
    Just wondering what time I should be there if I want to be near 3.45 pacers? What time do people start lining up at? Dont want to be running around like a headless chicken!:D
    Thanks

Pacers will be in position a half hour before the off!

Advertisement