Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

And you should plan to be there half an hour early as well. That leaves you a bit of a cushion in case you're delayed on the morning, or stuck in a queue for toilets for ages. But wear some warm, disposable clothes to the pen so you don't freeze while you're standing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Thanks Guys,
    I'm always an early bird so suits me fine.
    Roll on Monday Week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

If you find yourself needing the toilet after you take off, fear not, there'll be more people peeing in the bushes in the park than there are trees to hide behind!;)

Anyone in a blind panic yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Mr Slow wrote: »

Yep. Nerves definitely making an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

nervous here too. Paranoid about injury aswell. I was lifting chairs at work yesterday and all i could think about was pulling my back or something.

It's all part and parcel and nothing to worry about, just explain to your other halves that you're going to be a bit looney for the next few days. By the time you get out of the park you'll be feeling great!

Hey lads ive spotted a bit of discussion on the events thread for DCM regarding warm up on the day.

I never really warm up tbh so i didnt plan on doing one the day off. I will however be taking the advice of buying some cheap cloths to stay warm while waiting to start.

Anyone any other plans regarding warm ups/ staying warm on the day before hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Totally crapping it... taper seems so bloody wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

i'm looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

the small things (which are now big things) are beginning to cause worry:

Gear on the day - all LSR's done during wamer weather - we had a very mild September for the longer runs as well.
    I expect Oct 31st to be a lot cooler - so;

Long sleeves?
    Short Sleeves?
    Singlet?

Dont get me started about nutrition between now & then :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

alanking wrote: »
    the small things (which are now big things) are beginning to cause worry:

Gear on the day - all LSR's done during wamer weather - we had a very mild September for the longer runs as well.

Long sleeves?
    Short Sleeves?
    Singlet?

Dont get me started about nutrition between now & then :-)

“There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people.” – Bill Bowerman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I had a long sleeve top on last yr under a sleeveless running tshirt as the morning was very frosty, but my mile 4 I was roasting and took it off at the first set of toilets and had it tied around me for the rest of the race...it was an expensive top that I wouldn't throw away but it didn't annoy me tired around me as it was very thin & light ... so I would say think carefully about the gear as we all know how warm it can get after a few miles !!!

or as the lads have been saying cheap and cheerful and throw away!!!!
    Test out your gear on this weekends run!!!

You'll all have a reasonable idea next weekend as to what the weather will be like and will be able to plan accordingly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quarter pounder

thanks chinguetti and ger664 for your replies.

alanking wrote: »
    Long sleeves?
    Short Sleeves?
    Singlet?

As long as you were comfortable on your long runs, wear what you wore then. It might be a bit colder on the day, but you'll be working harder, generating more heat.
    I wore a singlet last year, will be wearing a sleeveless top this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

I suppose the farming forecast will give us an idea of what type of weather is ahead for the coming week? Rain I could handle, cold I can handle , but hopefully we won't have a windy day:eek:
    ng worse than bee
    I think I will wear a lovely cosy old hoodie at the start and stick with singlet and shorts as planned, I know it will be alot colder than we are used to but there is nothing worse than being too hot!

Next question- how am I going to sleep the night before??:confused:

suseoh wrote: »

I reckon not too good!!

But the general advice from what i can tell is to get to bed early as many times as you can the week leading up and this will more than make up for a poor nights sleep the night before.

suseoh wrote: »

Don't worry about it - Saturday night is the more important sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't worry about it - Saturday night is the more important sleep.

And with the clocks going forward an hour less to sleep on Saturday night :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hi,

anyone know anywhere that sells the under armour shorts with the loops to hold gels on the side? I was in Elverys in suffolk street at lunch time and the only sizes they had were small.

Any help appreciated.

Another Elverys branch - Dundrum, Blanchardstown, Fonthill?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    And with the clocks going forward an hour less to sleep on Saturday night :eek:

Clocks are going back so you will have an extra hour in bed!

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Clocks are going back so you will have an extra hour in bed!

True don't know what I was thinking. With an 8 week old child I won't be getting an extra hour anyway. A nights sleep would just be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

RayCun wrote: »
    When you entered the marathon you had to put down an estimated finishing time, and that's used to assign you to a wave. The number you collect at the Expo will have a colour corresponding to the wave.

I think you can work it out from your number - 1-5000 are in the first wave, 5-10k are second wave, 10k+ are third wave.

Oh jaysus, i don't remember filling any estimated finishing time when entering either for myself or my wife. She's planning on going with 4.30 pacers and i'm planning on running with 4hr pacers.
    My number is 10284 (which means i'm in the wrong wave).
    My wife's number is 15319.
    Not sure where this leaves us to be honest.

I'm only guessing about the numbers - I had a very high number last year when I said I'd be in the last wave, and a very low number this year when I said I'd be in the first wave, but I could be completely wrong.

Anyway, on facebook they've said that you can go to the info stand at the expo and get a sticker for your number if you want to move forward a wave. (you don't need a sticker to move backwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hi Ray, everyone

great info on here. Dublin will be first marathon and am getting really excited/nervous now. Training has gone well and I am aiming for sub 4 hours.

I have a question about the 4hr pacing group. Do you know if they try to run even halves or start off slower and run a negative split? Or if they aim to come in right at 3hrs59:xx (ie. 9:09 miles) or try to give themselves a few minutes grace by running eg. 9min miles.

I know I am waaaay over-thinking everything at this stage but am unsure whether to run on my own at 9 mins just so I have even a few minutes to play with in the last 6 miles or go with the pacing group!

Donal112 wrote: »
    Hi Ray, everyone

great info on here. Dublin will be first marathon and am getting really excited/nervous now. Training has gone well and I am aiming for sub 4 hours.

I have a question about the 4hr pacing group. Do you know if they try to run even halves or start off slower and run a negative split? Or if they aim to come in right at 3hrs59:xx (ie. 9:09 miles) or try to give themselves a few minutes grace by running eg. 9min miles.

I know I am waaaay over-thinking everything at this stage but am unsure whether to run on my own at 9 mins just so I have even a few minutes to play with in the last 6 miles or go with the pacing group!

All pacers will run as even as possible with the aim of finishing 30 seconds below their target time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Donal112 wrote: »
    Hi Ray, everyone

The 4hr Pacers will go through half way in 1:59:xx and go through the finish line in 3:59:xx (hopefully exactly 3:59:30 as i have money riding on it ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    The 4hr Pacers will go through half way in 1:59:xx and go through the finish line in 3:59:xx (hopefully exactly 3:59:30 as i have money riding on it ;))

Except this time the pacers you are betting against will be waiting at the finish to ensure no cheating is going on :D

Advertisement