Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Except this time the pacers you are betting against will be waiting at the finish to ensure no cheating is going on :D

I'll be watching your video to make sure that you haven't been doing anything like that either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll be watching your video to make sure that you haven't been doing anything like that either ;)

I'll be at the finish to watch both of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Great, just wanted to know for sure. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Donal112 wrote: »
    I know I am waaaay over-thinking everything at this stage but am unsure whether to run on my own at 9 mins just so I have even a few minutes to play with in the last 6 miles or go with the pacing group!

Two other things to remember -
    You'll actually run more than 26.2 miles in the race, so you'll be running slightly faster than 9.09 miles. The pacers will be checking their splits off the mile markers, not relying on Garmins
    It's a bad idea to try to bank time in the first half of the marathon by going faster. It costs you more time in the second half than you save in the first.

You'll run 26.45ish which if for example you're running 8 min miles, will add 2 mins to your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well i saw my first road sign warning of traffic delays on the bank holiday so that must mean there's a marathon on soon:D

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well i saw my first road sign warning of traffic delays on the bank holiday so that must mean there's a marathon on soon:D

and a Spar marathon ad on a bus shelter on the route
    (but on the wrong side of the bus shelter for runners to see :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

What a crappy morning! 8 miles to do in the wind and rain. At least it's not 20! I have a sore(ish) hamstring, don't know if it's an actual pain or a taper pain though(lol)
    Hope everyone gets through last long(ish) run.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

suseoh wrote: »
    What a crappy morning! 8 miles to do in the wind and rain. At least it's not 20! I have a sore(ish) hamstring, don't know if it's an actual pain or a taper pain though(lol)
    Hope everyone gets through last long(ish) run.

thanks.
    i have to force myself out this morning.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Back since 10, wind was rough but a good run was had. Feel's great to have all the long runs done plus its been a long time since I have been as fit as I am now. Bring on Monday week. Wish it was this week.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Back since 10, wind was rough but a good run was had. Feel's great to have all the long runs done plus its been a long time since I have been as fit as I am now. Bring on Monday week. Wish it was this week.;)

That's great Dave. I am doing mine tomorrow as I had a deep tissue yesterday and I am a bit tender :o is anyone else just exhausted? And I am not really looking forward to the marathon I am a bit anxious about it :(

Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Monday
    rest|3m/5k|4m/6k|2m/3k|rest|2m/3k|rest|26.2m/42.2k

Taper madness should be in full swing now - you'll be obsessively watching the video of the course, imagining that every twinge is a stress fracture, every sneeze is a harbinger of pneumonia. Try to distract yourself this week - catch up with friends (not in a pub), go to the cinema (without raiding the food stand), sit back and watch telly (but don't eat a packet of biscuits)

You'll be feeling anxious about the amount of training you've done, and wondering if you can maintain the pace on the day. Do NOT go out and do a longer run this week, it won't help your fitness at all, just rob you of energy. Do NOT run any of your short runs faster than usual - you will have more energy this week, but you have to save it for race day. (Do NOT copy the novices on today's group training session and chug along with the faster group at faster than race pace. Tut tut tut, bad novices ;):p)

RayCun wrote: »
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Monday
    rest|3m/5k|4m/6k|2m/3k|rest|2m/3k|rest|26.2m/42.2k

Taper madness should be in full swing now - you'll be obsessively watching the video of the course, imagining that every twinge is a stress fracture, every sneeze is a harbinger of pneumonia. Try to distract yourself this week - catch up with friends (not in a pub), go to the cinema (without raiding the food stand), sit back and watch telly (but don't eat a packet of biscuits)

You'll be feeling anxious about the amount of training you've done, and wondering if you can maintain the pace on the day. Do NOT go out and do a longer run this week, it won't help your fitness at all, just rob you of energy. Do NOT run any of your short runs faster than usual - you will have more energy this week, but you have to save it for race day. (Do NOT copy the novices on today's group training session and chug along with the faster group at faster than race pace. Tut tut tut, bad novices ;):p)

name and shame them ray :D

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||434 miles||
    Nules10|||457.5||
    Househunter|||671 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    ShivDCM|||405m||
    BobMac104|||488.05 ||
    red face dave|||261.5 miles||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|||387.8 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|||480.4 miles||
    maggiemissy|||515 miles||

last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Vagga|||434 miles||
    Nules10|||457.5||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    ShivDCM|4|23|428m|bring it on|
    BobMac104|||488.05 ||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|||387.8 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|||480.4 miles||

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

RayCun wrote: »
    (Do NOT copy the novices on today's group training session and chug along with the faster group at faster than race pace. Tut tut tut, bad novices ;):p)

It's all this nervous energy :rolleyes:

It's all this nervous energy :rolleyes:

Ah ha I should have known you were one of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Vagga|||434 miles||
    Nules10|||457.5||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    BobMac104|||488.05 ||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|||427.77 miles||
    mazken|||387.8 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|4|22m|502 miles|Nerves hitting me hard but also looking forward to the big day now though|

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Vagga|||434 miles||
    Nules10|||457.5||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    BobMac104|||488.05 ||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|4||470 miles|Looking forward to it now|
    mazken|||387.8 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|4|22m|502 miles|Nerves hitting me hard but also looking forward to the big day now though|

This article ends up directed at cyclists but most of it applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Mr Slow wrote: »

Thats a really good article Mr Slow. I cudda done with reading it before the run this morning :rolleyes:
    Will keep re-reading it over the week so that I dont go out on some big "test the legs" session!

Here's a good one from runner world. Most of the stuff above applies, except it's for runners, not cylists :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Thanks for all the advice in this thread - usually answers the questions before I even ask :) The more I taper the more I feel I won't be able to run even 5 miles ! Another part of me would just like to go run it now (even on my own in the dark) and not be stressing for the next week.

For anyone buying isogels - I got them for 1.35 each today in Runworx in Fonthill - they are 2 euro each in Eurocycle in St William St!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Nules10 wrote: »

That's great Dave. I am doing mine tomorrow as I had a deep tissue yesterday and I am a bit tender :o is anyone else just exhausted? And I am not really looking forward to the marathon I am a bit anxious about it :(
    I am tired too, but got through 9 this morning. Had planned 8 but route was longer than expected and it was too miserable too walk the last mile. I suppose we are all dreading/ looking forward to Monday week! But then it will be over, so I suppose we should enjoy all that comes in the next 7 days?
    Looking forward to the trip to Dublin and 2 nights in a hotel.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

menoscemo wrote: »
    Here's a good one from runner world. Most of the stuff above applies, except it's for runners, not cylists :pac:

great article..everyone should read it...Thanks Menoscemo:D

Younganne wrote: »
    great article..everyone should read it...Thanks Menoscemo:D

Ray has told me that he would like to emphasise the part about the final week :P. Only do maybe 2-3 miles in 1 of your mideweek runs at goal marathon pace. Everything else should be significantly slower.
    If you feel like you have some nervous energy to spend or some rust to shake off, do a few strides (100m at 5k pace) at the end of your short, easy runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

If you find yourself needing the toilet after you take off, fear not, there'll be more people peeing in the bushes in the park than there are trees to hide behind!;)

So much easier for boys!! :rolleyes: ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

So much easier for boys!! :rolleyes: ;):D

do not worry we will take no notice if u do a paula on it :P

suseoh wrote: »
    I am tired too, but got through 9 this morning. Had planned 8 but route was longer than expected and it was too miserable too walk the last mile. I suppose we are all dreading/ looking forward to Monday week! But then it will be over, so I suppose we should enjoy all that comes in the next 7 days?
    Looking forward to the trip to Dublin and 2 nights in a hotel.;)

Oh thank god suseoh thought it was just me. Feel much better today and last LSR out of the way and it went really well. I am looking forward to the lower mileage next week ;)

• Advertisement

Vagga|||434 miles||
    Nules10|4|21.5|479|Good run today confidence returned today :)|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    BobMac104|||488.05 ||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|4||470 miles|Looking forward to it now|
    mazken|||387.8 miles||

Advertisement