Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Need to vent! was at a team meeting last Tuesday and the meeting was in a room with the heating on (was only 3c outside so fair enough) but there was this "dude" in the room with a cold coughing a splurting... fast forward a couple of days and I'm chesty coughing, sneezing and feeling crap.. ARRGGH

I've had to drop out of my usual runs this weekend due to feeling crappy, any ideas how to get back to form, not really worth a visit to the doctor over a cold but should I just load up on the zinc and vit c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Need to vent! was at a team meeting last Tuesday and the meeting was in a room with the heating on (was only 3c outside so fair enough) but there was this "dude" in the room with a cold coughing a splurting... fast forward a couple of days and I'm chesty coughing, sneezing and feeling crap.. ARRGGH

I've had to drop out of my usual runs this weekend due to feeling crappy, any ideas how to get back to form, not really worth a visit to the doctor over a cold but should I just load up on the zinc and vit c.
    I deal with people like that everyday of the week and its VERY annoying... they should stay at home if they are sick :mad: Plenty of liquids into you... lemsip if you can stomach it. try and flush it out of your system. if its a head cold it should be gone by the weekend. A cough bottle too if you are coughing alot and bed early :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Yep plan on putting the feet up, its just a hit the confidence this weekend as was going to get a slow 10k run in today just as part of my taper program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||434 miles||
    Nules10|4|21.5|479|Good run today confidence returned today :)|
    Househunter|||671 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    ShivDCM|4|23|428m|bring it on|
    BobMac104|4|23.5|511.55| Not feeling great tbh. A bit flat or something. 10m lsr in manky weather. finished ok|
    red face dave|||261.5 miles||
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|4||470 miles|Looking forward to it now|
    mazken|||387.8 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|4|22m|502 miles|Nerves hitting me hard but also looking forward to the big day now though|
    maggiemissy|||515 miles||

JJJJNR wrote: »

everyone in my office was snotting all over the place the last few days. I was fierce paranoid. I was chugging vit c and took a day off from running when i started feeling off myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Vagga|||434 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    BobMac104|4|23.5|511.55| Not feeling great tbh. A bit flat or something. 10m lsr in manky weather. finished ok|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    mazken|4|21|408.8 miles|Can't believe I've made it this far! nervous and excited! Hope the week won't drag (and the weather improves!) |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|22m|502 miles|Nerves hitting me hard but also looking forward to the big day now though|

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Feeling completely drained of energy today. Looking forward to a light week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

have had itb flare up for past 2-3 weeks now. Had physio during last week but no change.
    Hopefully a week off with a course of diefene does the trick.
    30 mins of stretching a day and ice work also on the agenda.

Anyone got a quick cure for ITB?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

alanking wrote: »
    I really don't think one exists. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

I really don't think one exists. :(

Yeah - I know - just hoping against hope.
    Going to keep positive for next week. I'll be on the start line - I just hope I cross the finish line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

Vagga|||434 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    maggiemissy|4|21|536 miles||
    mazken|4|21|408.8 miles|Can't believe I've made it this far! nervous and excited! Hope the week won't drag (and the weather improves!) |

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Vagga|||434 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    Younganne|||253.5m|

i bet you wont miss updating the table maggiemissy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

was really feeling the taper blues over the last two weeks, random phantom injuries, terrified of talking to anyone with the sniffles, worried if I've done enough training. However, did my 8 this evening and felt super, despite the poxy rain and wind. This time next week, however, I know I'll have no nails left and be at a whole new level of worrying :D
    To add to that, there's the extra pressure of having to live up to 1600 euros of money raised and knowing that there'll be eyes on me on the big day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So Ray, i was thinking of inviting everyone on here for a few speed sessions up the Kyber on Saturday morning. Is that ok????:D;):p:D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deckyn2

:eek:hi all, doing my 1st marathon on the 31st, really nervous, can anyone tell me what & how much i should be eating this week, the night before and morning of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

chinguetti wrote: »
    So Ray, i was thinking of inviting everyone on here for a few speed sessions up the Kyber on Saturday morning. Is that ok????:D;):p:D;):p

I reckon there would be 100% attendance:D

.... there's the extra pressure of having to live up to 1600 euros of money raised and knowing that there'll be eyes on me on the big day...

Well done on the amount raised...some lucky charity...relax you'll be fine....hope the weather improves...

wouldn't fancy running marathon on a day like today, but if we have to we will!!!.....just add 30+ mins on my target:D

deckyn2 wrote: »
    :eek:hi all, doing my 1st marathon on the 31st, really nervous, can anyone tell me what & how much i should be eating this week, the night before and morning of the race

i'm no expert but i think you generally eat what you always eat just add more carbs to your diet for the 3 days before the marathon.... rice, pasta, noodles??, potatoes, cous cous, fruit & veg and white carbs is just as good as brown(if not better for carbo loading)....

plenty of water in the few days before...and on the morning, just eat what you would normally eat on the morning of a LSR!!

but i'm open to correction!!

Best of luck and most importantly enjoy the atmoshpere on the
    day...its great!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Vagga|||434 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    red face dave|4|19|280.5 miles|A mix of nerves and excitement one week to go. Now I need to pick a finishing time|
    Younganne|||253.5m|

:D
    Vagga|||434 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    red face dave|4|19|280.5 miles|A mix of nerves and excitement one week to go. Now I need to pick a finishing time|
    Younganne|4|16|253.5m|didn't do LSR today only 3 m, very tired so decided not to risk it....i was on treadmill, but reckon if i was outside i'd have kept going!!:( but 16 m is better than 0 last week:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Vagga|4|27 Miles|461 miles|Good light week, cant wait to get into the race now TBH!|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I'm not having taper madness, but taper jealousy. I haven't been able to run for 8 days, so missed out on two LSRs, the last two before the big day. Going for a sports massage on the legs tonight, which I had booked anyway, hope that will loosen out the hamstring.
    However, I know that if it's not 100% before the race it may bring a longer term issue if I go for it. We'll see what he says tonight and if I can do the club training tomorrow then I'll see how I feel after that and make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

deckyn2 wrote: »

Just do the same as you always do! This week you'll be doing v little running so you do need to watch your weight - be careful with desserts! There'll probably be lots of comments here about carb loading - personally I think you should ignore them all. Some good advice that you'll find on this forum is:
    • Get a good nights sleep on the Saturday (you'll be nervous on Sunday and might not sleep well)
    • Stay well hydrated, especially over the weekend
    • Get your gear ready the night before
    • Eat your usual food (for me this is a good bowl of pasta the night before, porridge & coffee the morning of the race)
    After that, you just turn up and enjoy it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

alanking wrote: »

I found the Grid Roller great but it's not a quick fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Vagga|4|27 Miles|461 miles|Good light week, cant wait to get into the race now TBH!|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    Younganne|4|16|253.5m|didn't do LSR today only 3 m, very tired so decided not to risk it....i was on treadmill, but reckon if i was outside i'd have kept going!! but 16 m is better than 0 last week

chinguetti wrote: »

I'll show up too - with a big stick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm just popping on here to wish everyone the very best of luck. I've been following this thread and you've been getting super advice so you're all set to go.

I ran my first marathon 3 years ago in DCM and I LOVED it in spite of the fact that I did just about everything wrong on the day. I headed out way too fast and paid for it in the second half however I still managed to cross the finish line with a big smile on my face.
    All your hard work is done now and you will all cross that finish line with smiles:D on your face; very, very best of luck and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday|Monday
    rest|3m/5k|4m/6k|2m/3k|rest|2m/3k|rest|26.2m/42.2k

Hi guys. Have only ran once since 20 miler on the 9th, and because of this am getting extra nervous now.
    Want to try get one or two small runs in this week, just to loosen the legs really if nothing else.
    Just wondering what the thinking is on this weeks runs. Is it better to rest for one or two days before big day. We seem to have an extra two mile and only one day rest?
    Don't know if I will even run until later in the week, but am just trying to make some loose plan, to make me feel like I know what I'm doing this week!

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Have only ran once since 20 miler on the 9th, and because of this am getting extra nervous now.
    Want to try get one or two small runs in this week, just to loosen the legs really if nothing else.

And on those small runs, because you are nervous and your legs aren't as tired as usual, you will be tempted to go faster, or longer, just to prove to yourself that you can.
    DON'T DO IT!

This week is all about letting your legs recover from training, and building up energy for the race. Short, slow runs this week, nothing more.

• Advertisement

what about a few strides Ray?

I see in more experienced runners logs that they might do an interveral session in the final week as a "blow out" or something like that.

Would a few strides close to the day be worth doing just the make sure there are no cobwebs? Or as I am only hoping for 9 minute miles would this just be a waste of energy?

Advertisement