Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|4|27 Miles|461 miles|Good light week, cant wait to get into the race now TBH!|
    Nules10|4|21.5|479|Good run today confidence returned today :)|
    Househunter|4|31|702 miles|Nervous and excited. Want the 31st to be here now!|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    ShivDCM|4|23|428m|bring it on|
    BobMac104|4|23.5|511.55| Not feeling great tbh. A bit flat or something. 10m lsr in manky weather. finished ok|
    red face dave|4|19|280.5 miles|A mix of nerves and excitement one week to go. Now I need to pick a finishing time|
    Younganne|||253.5m|
    rom|4||470 miles|Looking forward to it now|
    maggiemissy|4|21|536 miles||
    mazken|4|21|408.8 miles|Can't believe I've made it this far! nervous and excited! Hope the week won't drag (and the weather improves!) |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|22m|502 miles|Nerves hitting me hard but also looking forward to the big day now though|
    maggiemissy|||515 miles||

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ray, wouldn't the big stick make them go too fast? I think you haven't thought this through.

Can also do a few up Knocknamaroon Hill if anyone wants.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

This time next week we'll be running our first marathon :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|4|27 Miles|461 miles|Good light week, cant wait to get into the race now TBH!|
    Nules10|4|21.5|479|Good run today confidence returned today :)|
    Househunter|4|31|702 miles|Nervous and excited. Want the 31st to be here now!|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|||333.5m|
    ShivDCM|4|23|428m|bring it on|
    BobMac104|4|23.5|511.55| Not feeling great tbh. A bit flat or something. 10m lsr in manky weather. finished ok|
    red face dave|4|19|280.5 miles|A mix of nerves and excitement one week to go. Now I need to pick a finishing time|
    Younganne|4|16|269.5m|didn't do LSR today only 3 m, very tired so decided not to risk it....i was on treadmill, but reckon if i was outside i'd have kept going!! but 16 m is better than 0 last week
    rom|4||470 miles|Looking forward to it now|
    maggiemissy|4|21|536 miles||
    mazken|4|21|408.8 miles|Can't believe I've made it this far! nervous and excited! Hope the week won't drag (and the weather improves!) |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|22m|502 miles|Nerves hitting me hard but also looking forward to the big day now though|
    maggiemissy|||515 miles||

I'm starting to feel invisible, my entry keeps getting knocked of the table!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BobMac104 wrote: »
    what about a few strides Ray?

I see in more experienced runners logs that they might do an interveral session in the final week as a "blow out" or something like that.

A few strides would be fine.
    Remember, the idea with strides is to run at a fast but relaxed pace. You should be trying to run with good form, using your arms, lifting your knees, shifting your weight forward on your foot, just like you're sprinting for the finish line of a race but unlike that final sprint this is not an all-out effort. You should get to about 80% of that max speed, hold for 5-10 seconds, and then slow down again. You should not be working hard in the strides - if you are gasping for breath when you slow down then you have run too fast/too long.

I don't know about 'blow out' sessions, but remember, experienced runners are experienced. (The clue is in the name :)) So they are better at listening to their bodies and knowing how much effort they can put into a run without any need for recovery. You guys don't, and on top of that you are little little balls of nervous energy, so you are always going to be tempted to run harder than you should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

great stuff much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SlowSprint

a chairde,

now we're into the last week I'm wondering what I should do for the last few days. I did the half in just under 2 hours, and I'd be aiming for the 4:15 baloon on Monday. In my dreams, if I have anything left in the latter half, I'd love to try for 4hrs.

What is the best approach to this week? I know I cant get any fitter, but whats the approach to excercise - is it important to do light runs in order to keep the body ticking over? I run at about 9 - 10 min miles.

Working backwards:

Sunday: nothing? Maybe a walk?

Saturday: a walk?

Friday: 20 min run?

Thursday: rest

Wed: 20 min run

Tue: rest

Mon: 30 min run

Thanks,
    SS.

SlowSprint wrote: »
    is it important to do light runs in order to keep the body ticking over? I run at about 9 - 10 min miles.

Yes, a few light runs, like the schedule you posted but slower than 9/10 minute miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

chinguetti wrote: »
    Ray, wouldn't the big stick make them go too fast? I think you haven't thought this through.

Can also do a few up Knocknamaroon Hill if anyone wants.:D

Kyber on Saturday & Knockmaroon on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Despite having smeared myself in Vicks the last week, I'm smothering with a cold here and feeling miserable. All my excitement for the marathon is now gone too (and my energy).
    Should I just forget about getting out for runs this week? Do you think this will affect my fitness on the day? :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Despite having smeared myself in Vicks the last week, I'm smothering with a cold here and feeling miserable. All my excitement for the marathon is now gone too (and my energy).
    Should I just forget about getting out for runs this week? Do you think this will affect my fitness on the day? :(:(

You will not lose fitness, get the cold sorted, rest and dose up!

A cold only lasts a few days, there's a week to the marathon, you'll be grand. Just put your feet up until it passes.

i reckon stay off your feet till at least thursday and get rid of that cold. A run on thursday to get up all that mucus (lovely i know but a run may help clear you up)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Is the cold above the neck? If it is your ok to run with it. Recovery will be fastest if you don't run at all but you need to find a balance, try a couple of 2-3 ml jogs and don't go too far from home in case you need to stop.

If the cold's in your chest (coughing, mucus etc) don't run with it (or any other exercise) until you see an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Is the cold above the neck? If it is your ok to run with it

Yes it is thankfully. I read an article this morning which said that a cold is a symptom of your body being in a recovery phase. I was all delighted as I thought that this taper stuff is really working and my body is clearing up the bad bits. Then I just felt worse as teh day went on and started feeling sorry for myself. People out there with legs hanging off and I'm getting upset about an aul cold :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Hi
    Posted on this thread about half an hour ago but dont think it appeared on thread.
    Anyway trying to get a person to do a deep tissue massage on me this week but every where seems to be booked out and wed does not suit me as doing last track session that eve.I live in the Navan area in meath and finally found some one for fri but is that close to the marathon?Couldnt get earlier date.
    Know its last min but if anyone knos of any private masseuse in the navan/D 15 area and is free tomorrow eve for appointment def let me know - thanks
    Maybe fri isnt too late for massage - i dont know??
    God this time next week we will pounding the streets in Dublin - cant believe how race has crept up on us so soon
    Good luck to every one on thread doing the race mon!! : )

I would say Friday is too close to the marathon, unless you've had it done before and know you recover very quickly.

another taper article if people are interested.

http://www.runningnut.com/marathon-tapering/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

www.ratoathsportsinjurycentre.ie

Location should suit you pretty well, flexible hours too. I go to Evan, nice lad and a savage runner to boot but there are others there too.

Good luck either way!

Hi
    Posted on this thread about half an hour ago but dont think it appeared on thread.
    Anyway trying to get a person to do a deep tissue massage on me this week but every where seems to be booked out and wed does not suit me as doing last track session that eve.I live in the Navan area in meath and finally found some one for fri but is that close to the marathon?Couldnt get earlier date.
    Know its last min but if anyone knos of any private masseuse in the navan/D 15 area and is free tomorrow eve for appointment def let me know - thanks
    Maybe fri isnt too late for massage - i dont know??
    God this time next week we will pounding the streets in Dublin - cant believe how race has crept up on us so soon
    Good luck to every one on thread doing the race mon!! : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Any advice for nipples and the rain? Loads of vaseline?

The thought of my nipples getting ripped off due to chaffing is too horrendous to contemplate. Given todays weather, it may well pay to be prepared, very prepared!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

finisklin wrote: »

The thought of my nipples getting ripped off due to chaffing is too horrendous to contemplate. Given todays weather, it may well pay to be prepared, very prepared!

Bodyglide

^

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Bodyglide

Available where? Sports shops, pharmacies?

Cover them with cotton or tissue, held on with micropore tape.
    Or plasters
    Or nipple guards

Just vaseline/bodyglide won't be enough on a long, wet run.

Available where? Sports shops, pharmacies?

Running and cycling shops.

I don't think it's enough for the nips, but slather it on everywhere else you get chafing

bodyglide is in sports shops usually.
    I may put a couple of plasters in the pocket just in case on the day...

I chose a very bad t-shirt for the clonmel half this year and there was blood. Not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Bodyglide for me - hasnt failed me yet up to 20 miles in the rain on my LSR... LASH it on - you cant over-do the bodyglide.... Additionally, a very small tin of Vaseline (the small round ones) in the back pocket of my running shorts. BodyGlide in Wheelworks on the fonthill road beside liffey valley for sure... also great outdoors in dublin city centre also have it... or at least they did two months ago.

Muppet Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

A compression top will also save the nipples. With the cold weather it will also help keep you warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Lads, the weather is so foul tonight that you'ld want someone handing out the bodyglide around mile 16 if its like this next week.

If you had a shop selling vaseline on the course, they could make a mint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I caught the weather on RTE and hopefully it's right.

Cool with possible showers, no indication of notable wind!

Advertisement