Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

chinguetti wrote: »
    If you had a shop selling vaseline on the course, they could make a mint.

At London they have people supplying lumps of vaseline at regular intervals. Looks a bit odd with the plastic gloves and so on :eek: but I'm sure that many have been grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Clearlier wrote: »
    At London they have people supplying lumps of vaseline at regular intervals. Looks a bit odd with the plastic gloves and so on :eek: but I'm sure that many have been grateful.

They were giving out lumps of vaseline on the ucd flyover last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

In Boston they have volunteers holding ice-pop type sticks with chunks of Vaseline on the end, I very nearly took one and ate it... Don't imagine that would have ended well:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I presumed the gloves were for the application by the volunteers - you mean you have to apply it yourself:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

What do people think about bodyglide on your feet? I haven't blistered yet and have orthotics. Should I slap some on anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

suseoh wrote: »
    What do people think about bodyglide on your feet? I haven't blistered yet and have orthotics. Should I slap some on anyway?

I always put bodyglide on my feet before a long run, especially on the areas that are prone to blister (for me that's the inner forefoot).

But if you haven't blistered yet, why change now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

suseoh wrote: »

In between your toes too and your upper heel. If in doubt put it on.

RayCun wrote: »

In fairness, bodyglide won't do any harm either way. I have blistered in some marathons before despite not generally blistering in training. I find it's always better to wear it when possible.

They also havent run 26.2 mls yet, so you cant know for sure.

• Advertisement

In between your toes too and your upper heel. If in doubt put it on.

That's because you are a horrendous heel striker. As I say I blister on the forefoot :cool:

They also havent run 26.2 mls yet, so you cant know for sure.

That's true, but you'd get the beginnings of blisters in a 20 mile run, if you're going to get them. That said, if it's raining on Monday, 26 miles in wet shoes and socks will play hell with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's because you are a horrendous heel striker. As I say I blister on the forefoot :cool:

:)

That's true, but you'd get the beginnings of blisters in a 20 mile run, if you're going to get them. That said, if it's raining on Monday, 26 miles in wet shoes and socks will play hell with your feet.

Yep DCM '04 or '05 i remember was a horrible day. Everyone was doing their best to avoid the puddles. We're due a wet one at some stage, it's been close to perfect every year since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We're due a wet one at some stage, it's been close to perfect every year since then.
    I'm quite happy for the wet one to happen in a year when I'm not doing it :pac:

Won't be wet this year though - there'll be no rain left :pac:
    Its like getting a cold two weeks before the race, guarantees you'll be fine on race day :):rolleyes:

how do the pacers treat it?

are many doing it as a lsr in their own traing or just a fun marathon ? I suppose it depends on the time they are pacing for.

BobMac104 wrote: »

are many doing it as a lsr in their own traing or just a fun marathon ? I suppose it depends on the time they are pacing for.

It's really just a bit of fun, not many training programmes include a 26.2 mile LSR!! That said it does no harm for ultra training as an LSR (sadly I am training for a Half though). Still it's nice to run DCM without the pressure of racing (it's my 3rd in a row).

The pace will be very comfortable for all the pacers. Their best recent marathon is generally about 15% faster than pacing pace. E.G the sub 3hrs pacers are 2:35- 2:40 runners etc.

BobMac104 wrote: »

Training wise it's a bit of a nuisance tbh, and we won't be able to do much quality work for a week afterwards. But as meno said its a great way to soak up the race day atmosphere. I've ran it for a pb the last 4 years and it makes a nice change.

Thanks lads,

I still cant imagine doing one comfortably and for fun!

fair play. I can imagine that it will help alot of us on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

It turned out alright this evening.....I got out and did a few miles. A lot of puddles though. I've stuck with the program this far, wasn't going to let it slip now.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Its like getting a cold two weeks before the race, guarantees you'll be fine on race day :):rolleyes:

I thought a cold was the worst that could happen this morning. Just lost my car. Floating downstairs as I type. Cold doesnt seem so bad now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

I thought a cold was the worst that could happen this morning. Just lost my car. Floating downstairs as I type. Cold doesnt seem so bad now :(
    That's awful, hope everyone I. Dublin minds themselves this morning. Hopefully things will be better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I got a deep tissue sports massage on the legs last night (I had booked it a while ago) and the hamstring issue isn't too bad now. Going to try a run later, rain or not.
    I got the treatment in Ratoath Personal Fitness, I think their website is down/out of date, so if anyone wants to contact them just drop me a PM and I'll send on the number.

Oh no sorry to hear that!! as said i hope all affected by the floods are alright this moring and hope things improve throughout the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I got a deep tissue sports massage on the legs last night (I had booked it a while ago) and the hamstring issue isn't too bad now. Going to try a run later, rain or not.
    I got the treatment in Ratoath Personal Fitness, I think their website is down/out of date, so if anyone wants to contact them just drop me a PM and I'll send on the number.

Don't soak your good shoes!

Treadmill for me tonight, I can't 'accidentally' run too fast if I set the pace on the treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I hope everyone is ok today and not too affected by the floods, traffic mental this morning but we just have to get on with it!!!

I have to say i thought taper meant full of energy and dyign to get out running when you are not meant to....but i am completely sapped of energy and have no inclination to run, nearly didn't pack the running gear this morning coming to work/.. but packed it and will run!!!

maybe my taper is a bit backwards, 4 weeks out did 5 m, 3 week out did 0 miles 2 week out did 16 miles and due to do 11 this week, so maybe my body is just a bit confused!!! Hope things improve as the week moves on!!!:eek:

Younganne wrote: »
    I have to say i thought taper meant full of energy and dyign to get out running when you are not meant to....but i am completely sapped of energy and have no inclination to run

The heavy legs and laziness are normal. But when you do get out for a run, you can find yourself going faster than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

The heavy legs and laziness are normal. But when you do get out for a run, you can find yourself going faster than you think.

Reckon there'll be no problem going slow today, picking our way through the floods, Phoenix park looks pretty wet....might just stick to the paths!!!

Thanks Ray... as always

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Starting my low carb diet today, feeling 100% after a bit of a cold over the weekend, some cats claw, omega 3 and rest seems to have done the trick.

Running a slow 5km this evening.

Advertisement