Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Oh no sorry to hear that!! as said i hope all affected by the floods are alright this moring and hope things improve throughout the day!

On a lighter note, as the flood waters were creeping up the stairs last night and the lights were flickering I had 5 minutes to pack a small schoolbag so we could evacuate. You know what I packed? My marathon gear that I'd broken in, my runners, my Garmin, my Garmin charger, my Vaseline....and my pyjamas. Im not sure what my plan was....camp out in my jammies for the next 5 days and then run the race!!?
    Do I win the prize for maddest taper madness?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Starting my low carb diet today, feeling 100% after a bit of a cold over the weekend, some cats claw, omega 3 and rest seems to have done the trick.

Running a slow 5km this evening.

Why are you starting a low carb Diet, 6 days before your maiden marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm only doing it for 3 days, then going to load up on carbs from Thursday, and get plenty of water on also, 3 litres a day from Friday.

Hey, a few of the pacers and regulars from boards have booked a table for sunday evening in an Italian Restaurant.

The restauarant is Little caesars 'the palace' beside the westbury hotel (just off Grafton St. See here for location. We have a table booked for 6.15pm. There are 10 confirmed and still a few spaces available (we can change the booking if we need more seats anyway). Write a message here or PM me if interested in joining us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm only doing it for 3 days, then going to load up on carbs from Thursday, and get plenty of water on also, 3 litres a day from Friday.

I think it's a bad idea...

• Advertisement

I would strongly advise you against changing from your normal routine. Carb depleting could leave your body weak and open to illness. I have ran 11 marathons and only made an effort to 'carb load' for the first one with disaterous consequences (stomach problems). Since then I just stick to my normal diet and have never hit any kind of 'wall' in a race 9that includes a few ultra marathons).

I don't know anyone who has carb depleted and frankly I cannot see any advantage to it.

Stick to your normal routine and just eat a few plentys the day before the marathon and stay well hydrated at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ok thats cool, hmm cake anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

On a lighter note, as the flood waters were creeping up the stairs last night and the lights were flickering I had 5 minutes to pack a small schoolbag so we could evacuate. You know what I packed? My marathon gear that I'd broken in, my runners, my Garmin, my Garmin charger, my Vaseline....and my pyjamas. Im not sure what my plan was....camp out in my jammies for the next 5 days and then run the race!!?

well thats the best taper madness story I have heard! I must tell my husband your story as he thinks I am a raving lunatic, A.) because I am willing to run 26.2 miles and it was my choice and B) I am totally consumed with everything Marathon, Marathon training, marathon tapering, marathon diet, marathon gear blah, blah !
    He said he couldn't handle it if DCM was cancelled as if he had to wait any longer for marathon day!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

suseoh wrote: »
    well thats the best taper madness story I have heard! I must tell my husband your story as he thinks I am a raving lunatic, A.) because I am willing to run 26.2 miles and it was my choice and B) I am totally consumed with everything Marathon, Marathon training, marathon tapering, marathon diet, marathon gear blah, blah !
    He said he couldn't handle it if DCM was cancelled as if he had to wait any longer for marathon day!

Funny you say that my wife said the exact same thing to me this morning!! She is calling herself a marathon widow!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Nope, that all sounds like perfectly reasonable behaviour to me ;), unless of course you chose your gear over your children? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Sounds like the end of titanic or something!! but instead of going back for leonardo she grabbed her runners...

gets my vote for somekind of prize anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Mr Slow wrote: »

Nope, that all sounds like perfectly reasonable behaviour to me ;), unless of course you chose your gear over your children? :pac:
    Thank God I don't have kids yet as I wouldn't be able to make any guarantees on this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

RayCun wrote: »
    I think it's a bad idea...
    I guess thats one of the annoying things for rookies like us, is that there are many totally different types of advice on this subject, all from good sources. Reading the link above is good, but I could find you an equally good read from somewhere in 2 seconds telling you to carb deplete [Irish Runner this month told people to carb deplete, for example, and they are never wrong! :D]

But what I do trust is the practical advice of folks I know in real life who have run far too many marathons :pac:

I guess its like diets. I lost a lot of weight last year [as many people reading this have done I would guess] and I could give you chapter and verse on why some popular diet theory / ideas are complete rubbish URL="http://www.safefood.eu/Consumer/Healthy-Living/Eating-Well/What-is-a-balanced-diet-/The-Food-Pyramid.aspx"]how about the irish government pushing a food pyrimid with carbs at the bottom, where the modern world moved on from that 20 years ago[/URL

I guess thats one of the annoying things for rookies like us, is that there are many totally different types of advice on this subject, all from good sources. Reading the link above is good, but I could find you an equally good read from somewhere in 2 seconds telling you to carb deplete

Yeah, and there are runners who carb deplete and it works for them, some on Boards I'm sure. What it comes down to, for me, is that on your first marathon you should be conservative. There'll be more races in future, more chances for trying these things out, but for now you should stick with what you know.

Today is toenail-cutting day! Do it now! In your office! Your workmates won't mind! (and if they do... well, they all have germs, so you want them to stay away, right?)

Okay, or you could cut them when you get home. :rolleyes:

But do cut them today. You want your toenails to be short for race day, so they're not catching in your socks or shoes, or scratching your other feet. But you don't want to cut them the day before the race, because you might cut them too short (in your over-eager taper-induced craziness :eek:) and that would be uncomfortable too.

So cut them today, and on race day they'll be short, but not too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

My biggest problem at the moment is my runners :eek:

Was down in the in laws at the weekend and there was a pretty big road accident at the crossroads down the road. Got called down to help and ended up in a ploughed field trying to help lift a jeep off someone.

Thankfully they will both be ok but my once shiny red Asics DS are in an awful mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Aftrer almost 2 weeks laid up with a chest infection i finally got out on the road today and did a nice 12.5km and a good pace.

Body felt good and had lots left in the tank at the end.

I'm finally now in taper, i need to get that run under my belt and know that my chest will hold up.

Bring on next monday.........my time won't be great, but after all my set backs i'll be happy to have a finishers medal:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

But do cut them today.

What if I cut them too short today and they ingrow by Monday? That would be even worse...

meijin wrote: »
    What if I cut them too short today and they ingrow by Monday? That would be even worse...

You could just remove your toenails. I hear that's what all the cool marathon runners do...

You could just remove your toenails. I hear that's what all the cool marathon runners do...

Mank!

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »

Thankfully they will both be ok but my once shiny red Asics DS are in an awful mess.

Stuff them full of newspaper and they should dry out pretty quickly.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Stuff them full of newspaper and they should dry out pretty quickly.

They are dry now just to get all the muck thats crusted on off the outside. No major panic.

They are dry now just to get all the muck thats crusted on off the outside. No major panic.

They were very pretty :(

runners always look cool with a bit of muck on em anyway.

menoscemo wrote: »
    They were very pretty :(

You always seemed to have a soft spot for them alright :rolleyes:

You always seemed to have a soft spot for them alright :rolleyes:

Soft?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Today is toenail-cutting day! Do it now! In your office! Your workmates won't mind! (and if they do... well, they all have germs, so you want them to stay away, right?)

Okay, or you could cut them when you get home. :rolleyes:

But do cut them today. You want your toenails to be short for race day, so they're not catching in your socks or shoes, or scratching your other feet. But you don't want to cut them the day before the race, because you might cut them too short (in your over-eager taper-induced craziness :eek:) and that would be uncomfortable too.

So cut them today, and on race day they'll be short, but not too short.

Just been keeping an eye on this thread this year as its always a good read....really excellent thread this year as always and it seems like everything has been covered. Its an amazing insight for everyone taking part in their first marathon, helps you avoid as many rookie mistakes as possible. Imagine what it could be like without the advice :rolleyes:..line up in the sub 3 pen, go out too fast in your brand new runners bought the day before the race, legs knackered from the 16miler you done a few days earlier, bloodied top from two bleeding nipples, blistered feet, bloodied socks from toenails and minus a few at the end, feeling totally dehydrated, running nearly 27miles for not following the racing line....ah my first marathon:D

The very best of luck to everyone running their first marathon, you have a good advantage with all the great advice you got from this thread.

On the subject, toenails are overrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Mr Slow wrote: »
    On the subject, toenails are overrated!

I agree, had blisters under all my toenail after the marathon last yr...they still haven't recovered fully...:cool:

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    I agree, had blisters under all my toenail after the marathon last yr...they still haven't recovered fully...:cool:

I had a huge one after Cork, I had to lance it with a nail clippers and pull the nail free. Not for the faint hearted.:)

Advertisement