Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I had a huge one after Cork, I had to lance it with a nail clippers and pull the nail free. Not for the faint hearted.:)

ok, that convinced me, I'm removing mine today, just in case :rolleyes::P
    don't want any blisters under them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

5 miles slow, felt like it was the last five miles of the marathon! nice day down here in cork.The whole blister / toenail discussion is freaking me out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Here's hoping we have a great and noisy crew along for the 4.30 pace group...!

Great to see all the efforts put in here - looking forward to a lot of smiley faces at the finish line:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

meijin wrote: »
    ok, that convinced me, I'm removing mine today, just in case :rolleyes::P
    don't want any blisters under them :D

I WOULD chop mine if I had any left....training has wreaked havoc on my poor feet, have lost countless toenails already :( Come monday evening though it will all be worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

I had a huge one after Cork, I had to lance it with a nail clippers and pull the nail free. Not for the faint hearted.:)

Two of the guys at work dropped a marble table on my feet about 2 months ago.

My two big toe nails were black and blue and crumbley...

The boyfriend hacked off most of them about two weeks ago and filed down the nail (on the nail itself it had tripled in thickness!) now they look moderately pretty again!

Yeay! Its great to have a man to hold me down and just fix it. I couldnt do it myself!

No more toe chaffing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah lads and lassies, 10 toenails is over rated.

Still haven't got back the two i lost last year. Ah the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Accu weather has updated for Monday with periods of cloud and sunshine :) that's more like it. I have my gear washed and it's sitting in the hotpress ready to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nules10 wrote: »
    Accu weather has updated for Monday with periods of cloud and sunshine :) that's more like it. I have my gear washed and it's sitting in the hotpress ready to go :D

Flip it's changed back to rain this morning :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

So I developed a pretty bad pain in my right thigh the day after my last long run on Monday of last week. Got it rubed that night. Been pretty sore before and since (rub didn't do the trick for once), even limping a bit when I walk. Did 8 miles last Sunday, sore for half an hour and the loosened up. 5 miles last night and it kind of was less sore when I was getting back to the house. It's not getting better, not getting worse and isn't the same sort of tightness that I get in my calves. Just a deep enough dead pain... hard to even locate the exact position of it. Anyway, not looking for advice, just a moan. Will try to see someone about it tomorrow.. may need to pull out. Can't believe I could get injured day one of my taper! Mild issue with shin splints about two years ago but never been injured before. Granted higher mileage at the moment but still... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Nules10 wrote: »
    Flip it's changed back to rain this morning :mad:

any weather forecast longer that 3 days is a guess.
    beautiful out there this morning.
    if its like this were laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

beautiful, crisp morning with sunshine...ye i bagsy that for next Monday too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

lovely down here too. it would be perfect alright.

Sorry to hear about that Baaster. you nerver know, the physio might sort you out tonight. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Basster wrote: »
    So I developed a pretty bad pain in my right thigh the day after my last long run on Monday of last week. Got it rubed that night. Been pretty sore before and since (rub didn't do the trick for once), even limping a bit when I walk. Did 8 miles last Sunday, sore for half an hour and the loosened up. 5 miles last night and it kind of was less sore when I was getting back to the house. It's not getting better, not getting worse and isn't the same sort of tightness that I get in my calves. Just a deep enough dead pain... hard to even locate the exact position of it. Anyway, not looking for advice, just a moan. Will try to see someone about it tomorrow.. may need to pull out. Can't believe I could get injured day one of my taper! Mild issue with shin splints about two years ago but never been injured before. Granted higher mileage at the moment but still... :(
    Could be hamstring, same as me. I did a relaxed 30min run last night (the first run in 8 days). It was painful at first, but once the blood got moving it felt a bit better. Still a bit sore today, but I'll try a 1hr run tonight and take it from there. If I have to pull out then it's no sweat, there'll be more races and I doubt I would have won the marathon anyway :D
    But I'll make the call closer to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

I've been following this thread for ages and couldn't have to got to the point where I'm about to run a marathon without it. Raycun, Mr. Slow & the rest of the wonderful advisors are brilliant, can't thank you enough!

This is my first marathon, as you've probably guessed :rolleyes: and my nerves are gone! Was grand up to this morning but now all of a sudden the jitters are kicking in big time-anyone else feeling this???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Cutex wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for ages and couldn't have to got to the point where I'm about to run a marathon without it. Raycun, Mr. Slow & the rest of the wonderful advisors are brilliant, can't thank you enough!

This is my first marathon, as you've probably guessed :rolleyes: and my nerves are gone! Was grand up to this morning but now all of a sudden the jitters are kicking in big time-anyone else feeling this???

Welcome to Taper Madness!

just to report... i cut the toenails last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Brewski78

Have the jitters big time, am also totally exhausted! Not sure if I'm using up alot of nervous energy but have barely been able to climb the stairs the last 2 days which is worrying me even more. Have a massage tonight so I'm hoping that will wake the legs up - is this taper madness?

BobMac104 wrote: »
    just to report... i cut the toenails last night.

yeah me too.
    butchered one of my big toes with a crap scissors.
    gutted i went near them, didnt really need to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

I have 2 questions:

Is the baggage area secure enough to leave phone, keys etc. in during the race? I'm assuming it is.

My wife and 3 year old daughter are coming along for support on the day. We are getting the train to Dublin so she wont have a car available to travel around. What would be a good way to pass the time for them? I think the idea was to do a bit of shopping around town and then watch out for me around Grand Canal St but I dont know if shops will be open. Would the luas out to Milltown and back in again after I pass be practical?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

conseng wrote: »
    Is the baggage area secure enough to leave phone, keys etc. in during the race? I'm assuming it is.

My wife and 3 year old daughter are coming along for support on the day. We are getting the train to Dublin so she wont have a car available to travel around. What would be a good way to pass the time for them? I think the idea was to do a bit of shopping around town and then watch out for me around Grand Canal St but I dont know if shops will be open. Would the luas out to Milltown and back in again after I pass be practical?

Yes, the baggage area is secure. It's cordoned off and divided into sections of about 500 numbers, and each section has someone in it (or did at the start and finish). Hard Worker on boards was in charge of it last year, and says there were no problems.
    That said, if your wife is going to be along, why not leave the keys and phone with her? You will have real trouble getting a phone signal at the race end, so you should arrange a place to meet (the pub!) rather than rely on the phone.

I don't know what shops will be open at 10am on a bank holiday, but I'm sure they could go to a cafe for a while at least. The LUAS to Milltown and back would be fine - it will take you at least an hour to get from Milltown back into town, time enough for them to get back to the bottom of Grafton Street or somewhere similar and keep an eye out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I saw on another thread that security wasn't as good as it might have been last year.

I saw on another thread that security wasn't as good as it might have been last year.

I saw someone say that, and Hard Worker indignantly respond that he was in charge of the baggage area and there had been absolutely no problems reported :)

The usual commonsense rule is, don't leave anything in your baggage that you couldn't stand to lose.

Some useful tips from other threads

Advice for a first time marathon runner

McMillan and Condo131 marathon advice

(The Eagle AC links are for docs to download, all worth reading)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quarter pounder

I am seriously getting excited and worried in equal amounts now. It is so strange to be analysising nearly my every movement with regards to how it will effect me come Monday (wish I could wake up and it be Monday now).
    I too would like to thank Ray, Mr. Slow and all for your mentoring on this thread, has really been a great help over these last few weeks, and I admire your patience answering the same questions over and over with always the same informative responses.
    Best of Luck to everybody on Monday, hope you all have something nice planned to reward yourself that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

FAQ's are there for a reason so everyone should read it at least once

http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_faq.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|4|27 Miles|461 miles|Good light week, cant wait to get into the race now TBH!|
    Nules10|4|21.5|479|Good run today confidence returned today :)|
    Househunter|4|31|702 miles|Nervous and excited. Want the 31st to be here now!|
    Mr Abbey|||332 miles||
    PDCAT|3|17|350.5m|
    ShivDCM|4|23|428m|bring it on|
    BobMac104|4|23.5|511.55| Not feeling great tbh. A bit flat or something. 10m lsr in manky weather. finished ok|
    red face dave|4|19|280.5 miles|A mix of nerves and excitement one week to go. Now I need to pick a finishing time|
    Younganne|4|16|269.5m|didn't do LSR today only 3 m, very tired so decided not to risk it....i was on treadmill, but reckon if i was outside i'd have kept going!! but 16 m is better than 0 last week
    rom|4||470 miles|Looking forward to it now|
    maggiemissy|4|21|536 miles||
    mazken|4|21|408.8 miles|Can't believe I've made it this far! nervous and excited! Hope the week won't drag (and the weather improves!) |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|22m|502 miles|Nerves hitting me hard but also looking forward to the big day now though|
    maggiemissy|||515 miles||

Only updating now as no access to pc earlier in the week. Out of work for couple of days with ear infection.
    Getting nervious now. Reading other's comments. Can't believe i'll be able to run 26 miles at a pace nearly a minute faster than my training. However, going to give it a go. Looking forward to the first half of the race at least. Running around the city centre with loads of people looking on. Should be great atmosphere.

so pints in mcgrattans 2 -4 hours after we finish and have our ice bath and rest?

PDCAT wrote: »
    Can't believe i'll be able to run 26 miles at a pace nearly a minute faster than my training......

Ya it does seem a bit of a leap alright. You going with the 4 hour pacers too ya? we'll all drag each other along in the wind and rain sunshine iam sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

shivDCM wrote: »
    so pints in mcgrattans 2 -4 hours after we finish and have our ice bath and rest?

As soon as we cross the line is my guess. We'll be there till about 8 i reckon then stagger somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

shivDCM wrote: »

I heard that guinness is the best possible recovery drink :D

Advertisement