Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ran 5k last night (first run in nearly 4 days) and felt as if I could have ran the full marathon, hope im not peaking to soon, but going out this evening for 4k, 3k tomorrow etc, I am nervous but really I don't think I've ever been so prepared for anything in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

As soon as we cross the line is my guess. We'll be there till about 8 i reckon then stagger somewhere else.

lol good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

shivDCM wrote: »
    so pints in mcgrattans 2 -4 hours after we finish and have our ice bath and rest?

Pints in McGrattans 10 minutes after we finish.
    15 if your legs don't work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

Hi guys. Also wanted to thank all for their great advise over the last couple of months. Getting nervous now which just kicked in today. Still not sure which pace group to go in as i'm stuck between the 4.15 and the 4.30. Ran a 2.52 half but don't want to go out to quick either. confused.gif

Ran a 2.52 half but don't want to go out to quick either.

??? Faster than that, wasn't it?

• Advertisement

taper madness!!!!!!!! can't even type. i meant 1.52!!!!!!!!!

Go for the 4.15 group then, you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

typer madness!!!!!!!! can't even type. i meant 1.52!!!!!!!!!
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shivDCM wrote: »
    so pints in mcgrattans 2 -4 hours after we finish and have our ice bath and rest?

There won't be much sense on offer if you wait 2 - 4 hours to join us, myself Racoon, Ray and a few others will be across the line within a few mins of each other and on to McGrattans we go, probably at a faster pace than the race itself!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

ye're mental!

• Advertisement

taper madness!!!!!!!! can't even type. i meant 1.52!!!!!!!!!

If it helps I ran 1:53 in the Series half last year and 4:15 in DCM on the back of 'just enough to get around' training!;)

BobMac104 wrote: »
    ye're mental!

For going to the pub straight from the race? If we don't go then, we'll never go - if I go home, shower, change... I'll fall asleep and won't wake up until Tuesday.

RayCun wrote: »
    For going to the pub straight from the race? If we don't go then, we'll never go - if I go home, shower, change... I'll fall asleep and won't wake up until Tuesday.

No that bit makes perfect sense and iam looking forward to a couple of pints myself but to stay in the pub all day and night afterwards sounds nuts! Fair play to ye if ye can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

legs won't be working if i stay in the pub too long, and not necessarily from the running;)

No that bit makes perfect sense and iam looking forward to a couple of pints myself but to stay in the pub all day and night afterwards sounds nuts! Fair play to ye if ye can.

Oh, won't be staying that long - just enough for all of ye to buy me a drink :D

There are 14 on the "Log table" so if everyone from that buys you a drink you'll be in some state!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Last year i crossed the line at atbout 12.30pm and I had my first pint in front of me in McGrattans before 1pm. I think I made it home some time after midnight, but it all gets a bit hazy after 7pm :o

menoscemo wrote: »
    Last year i crossed the line at atbout 12.30pm and I had my first pint in front of me in McGrattans before 1pm. I think I made it home some time after midnight, but it all gets a bit hazy after 7pm :o

:pac: Legend!

but to quote myself "ye're mental"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Also, no matter how much or how little you have to drink, being in work or college the day after the marathon absolutely sucks. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Tis lucky you didn't have to see/hear yourself around 10pm in Keoghs unlike the rest of us. :eek:

And anyone who suggests going to a pub with stairs this year will have to run the course again. And we'll follow in a taxi to make sure you did it.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

RayCun wrote: »
    Oh, won't be staying that long - just enough for all of ye to buy me a drink :D

You never stay that long. Just for once why don't you this time? Best boardsie night out of the year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Ya it does seem a bit of a leap alright. You going with the 4 hour pacers too ya? we'll all drag each other along in the wind and rain sunshine iam sure

Yep, goin to go with the 4 hour pacers. Actually really looking forward to running around the city centre with loads of people shouting you on. Well looking forward up to about the half way mark, after that i don't think i'll be noticing too much...:(

PDCAT wrote: »
    Yep, goin to go with the 4 hour pacers. Actually really looking forward to running around the city centre with loads of people shouting you on. Well looking forward up to about the half way mark, after that i don't think i'll be noticing too much...:(

the ground/watch after that is all I reckon...

You never stay that long. Just for once why don't you this time? Best boardsie night out of the year :cool:

I'm a lightweight, I admit it :pac:

Jesus you lasted until 7 before it became hazy for you? Were you pacing yourself?:pac::pac::pac:

What time do the pacers start lining up at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Jesus you lasted until 7 before it became hazy for you? Were you pacing yourself?:pac::pac::pac:

It became a bit of a struggle but I managed to keep the pace up for another 5 hours anyway :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

What a stressful week of work. Only got two hours sleep last night :(
    Have decided to take tomorrow afternoon and Friday off so I don't get completely worked up and exhausted when I should be taking it easy and conserving energy.

I'll get back to worrying about work once I'm finished worrying about the marathon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I got a deep tissue sports massage on the legs last night (I had booked it a while ago) and the hamstring issue isn't too bad now.

Hope the hamstring is feeling better?? I had sports massage today too, I went to Vinny Mulvey (based in Ashbourne and Tallaght), and found it was great. (www.vinnymulveyfitness.com) It's amazing what a good rub can do......legs feel fresher already!!!!! :D At this stage ROLL ON MONDAY......am enjoying the carb loading a bit TOO much!!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

run44 wrote: »
    What a stressful week of work. Only got two hours sleep last night :(
    Have decided to take tomorrow afternoon and Friday off so I don't get completely worked up and exhausted when I should be taking it easy and conserving energy.

I'll get back to worrying about work once I'm finished worrying about the marathon ;)

I hear ya run44! I'm exhausted...haven't had the best night's sleep for the last few nights as I'm constantly thinking about Monday, far too much nervous energy! Mind you, i've had a bit more than 2 hours but don't have the luxury of taking days off work :( We're nearly there though...it'll all be worth it in the end :) Is it normal to feel drained the last week of the taper, or is it just paranoia setting in??

Advertisement