Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

What time do the pacers start lining up at?

The aim is for the pacers to be in position 40 mins before the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

mazken wrote: »
    I hear ya run44! I'm exhausted...haven't had the best night's sleep for the last few nights as I'm constantly thinking about Monday, far too much nervous energy! Mind you, i've had a bit more than 2 hours but don't have the luxury of taking days off work :( We're nearly there though...it'll all be worth it in the end :) Is it normal to feel drained the last week of the taper, or is it just paranoia setting in??

Don't know if its normal but i am drained too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Nules10 wrote: »

Phew!!! Comforting to know I'm not alone on this one - nice little boost to the morale! Saw an ad on tv for coverage of the marathon on Monday morning...gave me all goosebumps - we're proper close now!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

been battling ITB last couple of weeks, so am in 'Super Taper' mode with my new friend Difene.
    Stretching and icing every day, a few times a day. Has some physio & sports massage last week and going to Mark Kenneally tomorrow for some more work. Watching the diet and hydrating a good bit. Legs feel fresh, I feel great.
    Just hope this IT Band holds up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Phew!!! Comforting to know I'm not alone on this one - nice little boost to the morale! Saw an ad on tv for coverage of the marathon on Monday morning...gave me all goosebumps - we're proper close now!! :D

I keep expecting this surge of energy that we are supposed to have with the reduced mileage... it ain't coming :) Hopefully it will appear monday morning ;)
    I saw that too and i was like..."oh C**p" that will be us monday :eek: at this stage i just want to get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

You are definitely not alone! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Hi
    Don't know what pace or time to do for marathon.did 20 miles about 2 weeks ago in 3 hrs 5 min.was thinking of aiming joining 4 hr pacers but really don't know what to expect for those last 6 miles.I did feel tired after first 20 mile run but felt stronger for 2nd 20 mile run I did the weekend after where I did it in 3 hrs 5 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Folks, some feel that during the taper they can explode with all the energy they have, others feel sluggish. Its different for everyone and also its a right mindblower.

Most of you have never been fitter in yer life and now after been so used to running every second night, you're doing nothing is a head wrecker. It will drive you cracked but you get used to it.

Keep your mind active and it will help - read a good book, crosswords, jigsaw. BBC 1 Frozen Planet is great tv at the moment.

It may also take you a few miles to get going on Monday, this is norm. You could be 6 or 7 miles in before you get into a comfortable pattern of running so don't panic. We've all been there and are someway normal:p

Also if you have friends/family going to cheer you on, a great spot near the finish is along and around Pearse St. It can be a mental killer passing nearby the finish and running away from it. A friendly face around here can help a great deal if you're struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

chinguetti wrote: »
    BBC 1 Frozen Planet is great tv at the moment.

Hey, thanks for that - meant to tape it and was sitting here browsing while the kids go to sleep - ran down the stairs and will get most of it on tape :)

Now about my other problems ....twinges, queasy (food poisoning at least), man flu (and I'm female), inability to even walk a mile not to mind run 26.2, exhaustion - I'm sure I'll think of many more before Monday.

Great comfort to see others are the same !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hi
    Don't know what pace or time to do for marathon.did 20 miles about 2 weeks ago in 3 hrs 5 min.was thinking of aiming joining 4 hr pacers but really don't know what to expect for those last 6 miles.I did feel tired after first 20 mile run but felt stronger for 2nd 20 mile run I did the weekend after where I did it in 3 hrs 5 min.

What have you run in races?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sniruairc

Hi there,

First time marathoner here hoping to do a sub-4 (3.59.59 would be wonderful).

What pace are the 4-hour pacers going out at? Do you plan to run at the same pace for each mile or start slowly and increase incrementally?

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

RayCun wrote: »
    Hi

What have you run in races?

Did half marathon in 1 hr 58 but have lost weight since then and have become a lot fitter between hot yoga and running - wasn't even gona do marathon at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4:15 sounds like a more sensible option, tbh.

sniruairc wrote: »
    What pace are the 4-hour pacers going out at? Do you plan to run at the same pace for each mile or start slowly and increase incrementally?

All of the pacers run at the same pace for every mile from start to finish. They might lose a few seconds here and there because of congestion or hills, or gain a couple of seconds somewhere else, but they will be aiming to run every mile at exactly the same pace.
    For the 4 hour group that's about 9 minutes a mile.

The pacers will have a stand at the Expo, where they will be giving out pace bands for all the different times, and answering any questions you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hey, I'd also love some advice about which pacing group to join. I have run my two 20 milers in 3hrs3 and 3hrs2 and finished fairly strongly both times.

My two half marathons times, both Dublin, are 1hr47 (last year) and 1 hr 49 (this year - ran it as part of marathon training with sub 1hr50 goal). Last 10k race in August was 48mins.

Would I have any chance in trying to really push it and risk going with the 3hr45 group? Or should I go with the 4hrs and hopefully really enjoy the day/race (last 6.2 unkown territory either way!)

Donal112 wrote: »
    My two half marathons times, both Dublin, are 1hr47 (last year) and 1 hr 49 (this year - ran it as part of marathon training with sub 1hr50 goal). Last 10k race in August was 48mins.

Would I have any chance in trying to really push it and risk going with the 3hr45 group? Or should I go with the 4hrs and hopefully really enjoy the day/race (last 6.2 unkown territory either way!)

Don't read anything into training runs - you never really know how close you are to your limit on a run like that. Based on your half time I'd say go with the 4 hour group.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't read anything into training runs - you never really know how close you are to your limit on a run like that. Based on your half time I'd say go with the 4 hour group.

Thanks Ray, thats kinda what I was thinking - nice to be told tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Folks what pace will the 4:15 pacers be going at?? I'd love to finish inbetween 4:15 and 4:25. I did 1:55 in the half this year (1:58 last year) so trying to ascertain what time I should be aiming for?? Thanks to all for advice, replies etc, I'd defo be lost without the help from the Boardsies (Raycun and Mr. Slow in particular, thanks guys!!!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

menoscemo wrote: »
    Last year i crossed the line at atbout 12.30pm and I had my first pint in front of me in McGrattans before 1pm. I think I made it home some time after midnight, but it all gets a bit hazy after 7pm :o

Is this what you guys call "rehydration" ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Nules10 wrote: »
    run44 wrote: »
    You are definitely not alone! ;)

I am the same , though the last couple of days havent been as bad. Last week i skipped a 3 mile run for no reason (first time since i started training for the marathon id say) just pure laziness. Like you i was expecting to be a "ball of energy" but it didnt happen. begining to come around yeaterday and this moring i think. 3 miler tonight now to see.

• Advertisement

Folks what pace will the 4:15 pacers be going at?? I'd love to finish inbetween 4:15 and 4:25. I did 1:55 in the half this year (1:58 last year) so trying to ascertain what time I should be aiming for??

They'll be running at about 9.40 a mile. You should be fine to run at that pace, based on your half marathon time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Some of you may find this and this handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tracer_niall

quick question......first marathon :)

anyway, do you have to collect your number in person this weekend, or can someone else collect it for you, as I have an unmissable family commitment and most likely will not be around this weekend to collect it?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

afaik..some one else can collect,make sure they have ur acceptance slip with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tracer_niall

thanks Ultraman, will do.....looking forward to running this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Would experienced marathon runners suggest doing the last 2m on the Saturday or on the Sunday before the marathon? I've read conflicting advice on this and on whether its better to rest or get the blood flowing the day before. Even the Hal Higdon Novice 1 and Novice 2 plans differ in this respect.

Have been following Novice 2 up to now but just wondering what others think about this? Or will it make any difference at all?!

Thanks

I don't think it'll make much difference really. I'll be running Saturday, but that's just because it fits better with non-running things...

run44 wrote: »
    Would experienced marathon runners suggest doing the last 2m on the Saturday or on the Sunday before the marathon? I've read conflicting advice on this and on whether its better to rest or get the blood flowing the day before. Even the Hal Higdon Novice 1 and Novice 2 plans differ in this respect.

Have been following Novice 2 up to now but just wondering what others think about this? Or will it make any difference at all?!

Thanks

Whether you run 2 miles the day before or not will have no bearing on your race, what it does is help you not go nuts by getting you out to do what your body is craving.

Basically you're all now running junkies!

• Advertisement

I've watched the full thing a few times, always goosebumps at the finish line part, worth a watch over the weekend, it's all on you tube.

Advertisement