Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I've watched the full thing a few times, always goosebumps at the finish line part, worth a watch over the weekend, it's all on you tube.

Did I snipe you on the line for that one? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Did I snipe you on the line for that one? ;):D

Nope you only got away with that once!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

great clip.
    i'm well up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

shivDCM wrote: »
    great clip.
    i'm well up for it.

I have no access to some things in work so i can't see the clip, will just have to wait till i get home to check it out!!!:mad:

But i'm very curious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Younganne wrote: »
    I have no access to some things in work so i can't see the clip, will just have to wait till i get home to check it out!!!:mad:

But i'm very curious!!

i'm so physced at the moment as long as it said the word marathon at some stage i would have thought it was a great clip.

just did my 2nd last run on the beach.
    it was like a summers day out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

shivDCM wrote: »
    i
    just did my 2nd last run on the beach.
    it was like a summers day out there.

nice!:cool:

Did last lsr last Friday, a 14 mile run. Long walk over the weekend, couple of days off, then 2 nights of 4 milers. Gonna take tonight off, do 3 miles tomorrow night and 3 miles sat morning. Does that sound alright? I was always out of kilter with the strict regime, started later, but presume at this stage it's just a question of ticking over and even not doing anything now would be no bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Did last lsr last Friday, a 14 mile run. Long walk over the weekend, couple of days off, then 2 nights of 4 milers. Gonna take tonight off, do 3 miles tomorrow night and 3 miles sat morning. Does that sound alright? I was always out of kilter with the strict regime, started later, but presume at this stage it's just a question of ticking over and even not doing anything now would be no bad thing?

yeah, the main thing now is to rest. You can do your two 3 mile runs, but take them slow and easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Just a heads up that there are rail disruptions for the DART and people coming up from the sout-east on the Rosslare train:

Southside DART & Rosslare disruption: No trains operating Grand Canal Dock to Sydney Parade by Corporate Communications
    Friday 28th October, 06.30hrs
    Iarnród Éireann advises customers that there is serious disruption to southside DART services and Rosslare / Gorey rail services.
    The line is closed between Grand Canal Dock and Sydney Parade due to flood damage in the vicinity of a bridge pier at the Dodder Bridge, to the south end of Lansdowne Road Station.
    Services affected are:
    DART: DART services will operate Howth/Malahide to Grand Canal Dock, and from Sydney Parade to Greystones (note Southside service will be reduced in frequency, operating every 30 minutes, to the scheduled Greystones DART timetable). There will be no DART service between Grand Canal Dock and Sydney Parade. Dublin Bus will accept rail tickets for customers affected.
    Rosslare/Gorey: Rosslare and Gorey services will operate Rosslare/Gorey to Bray, with bus transfers between Bray and Dublin Connolly.
    Other commuter: Other commuter services which operate from Drogheda or Maynooth to Dun Laoghaire and Bray will now only operate from Drogheda/Maynooth to Pearse. Dublin Bus will accept rail tickets for customers travelling south of Pearse.

The length of time this disruption will continue for is currently being assessed, and it is hoped to confirm this today. However, it will be for a number of days at least.
    More detailed service information will be provided as soon as possible.
    Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=1226

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Looking at a number of websites for Mondays weather, its looking fairly unanimous that we will be in for a wet one for Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Looks like my hamstring issue isn't going away in a hurry. Even lying down in bed last night it was in pain. So I'm pulling out of the race. There is a chance I could run it and finish, but then I could also do some longer lasting damage too. I'd rather miss this than be off training for another month, or more. I'll drop in to the Expo tomorrow anyway, just to feel the excitement and check out the stands.
    Best to luck to everyone running on Monday, I know you all put in a vast amount of training and you all very much deserve to finish strong.
    One final piece of advice from Barney Stinson:
    http://youtu.be/D_-RDyxaJ1E

Looking at a number of websites for Mondays weather, its looking fairly unanimous that we will be in for a wet one for Monday

Plenty of bodyglide, and a binliner for the wait at the start, and you'll be fine. Rain is good for cooling you down anyway.
    (Remember, there'll be some rain, it doesn't mean we'll be drenched from start to finish)

Ah sorry to hear that tec driver.

I can imagine how disapointed you are and i hope the hammy clears up soon. Hope you get back to best soon and maybe do a good half marathon in december

sorry to hear it Tec Diver, but there'll be other marathons

HTFU, you've all trained for endurance, you've run with injuries/pain and for far longer than your bodies wanted to.

What's a little bit of rain to a marathoner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You must be gutted Tec Driver. A really tough decision to make, but the right one. There'll be more marathons. Good luck with your recovery.

I am a bit bummed about the rain as my runners (asics hyperspeed 4s) have bloody air vents in the sole so that (if its wet) my feet will be wet after 100yards.

I have a new pair of adizero pro's that are much better in the wet but the longest ive done is ten miles in them last weekend in lashing rain and my feet were not too wet at the end.

I am gonna bring both pairs to dublin with me but i am anxious about not having done more miles in the adizero's tbh

BobMac104 wrote: »
    I am a bit bummed about the rain as my runners (asics hyperspeed 4s) have bloody air vents in the sole so that (if its wet) my feet will be wet after 100yards.

I have a new pair of adizero pro's that are much better in the wet but the longest ive done is ten miles in them last weekend in lashing rain and my feet were not too wet at the end.

I am gonna bring both pairs to dublin with me but i am anxious about not having done more miles in the adizero's tbh

Stick with the ones you've trained in, if you opt for the others you could end up in trouble.

Your feet hit the ground about 42,000 times during the race, if new runners affect your gait/footfall negatively (even slightly) you could be in real trouble towards the end.

Ya that is my preference but the asics are no good at all in the rain. No problem all summer really but sure i wasnt thinking about it.

If it just drizzly or whatever they should be fine.

None of my shoes are 'good' in the rain either. They don't have holes in the soles, but the uppers are so thin that the rain goes straight through them.

• Advertisement

Mine have a material net on the front/top so I'll be in the same boat but you just have to get on with it, they'll probably dry out a few times anyway just in time to get soaked again;)

Ya the adidas have a total mesh upper but my feet dont get an instant soaking straight away as they do with the asics.

Ah HTFU i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Thanks guys. Yes a tough call, but the best one I think. I'm already booked onto the Waterford half in December and the Barcelona Marathon in March, so looking forward to getting back into training for them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Yes a tough call, but the best one I think. I'm already booked onto the Waterford half in December and the Barcelona Marathon in March, so looking forward to getting back into training for them both.

Dont rush getting back to training until you are fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

For those of us non jackins that will be travelling to the big smoke on Sat/Sun.

Time to start packing what you need for the race.

Your list should be items that if you dont have you cannot run.
    • Map to find RDS and Merrion Square:pac:
    • Race Number & Chip (pack you documentation required to obtain from expo)
    • Comfortable Shoes
    • Comfortable Running Socks
    • Comfortable Running Gear
    • Gels that don't make u puke if required
    • Strong Bin Linear too keep u dry and warm at start

Anything else is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I don't think were going to get torrential rain on Monday, probably just a few heavy showers so you can dry off in between them!:D Seriously though, if its your first marathon you'll be on such a buzz you won't even feel the rain!

I presume it's been done to death here, but what are people eating on the run?

Had a couple of chocolate chip cookies during my long long run, and seemed to be nice, but was going very slowly so could nearly have stopped for a burger it was so relaxed. Anyone got any opinions on these or is it a case of whatever suits? Don't want to find out that the combo of biscuit and chocolate chip is notoriously terrible for cramps or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Best of luck to everyone doing the Marathon on Monday ,I've been following this thread since day one & debated about doing it,but decidied(although now i feel jealous of everyone doing it) that this year was probably a bit too soon for me but hope to do one next year, but will be keeping this thread bookmarked as it contains so much info & good links .
    Here is a copy of an article from the local athletics club website:-

YOU KNOW YOU’RE READY TO RUN THE DUBLIN MARATHON IF…….

You’ve run more miles in the past 4 months than you have driven.
    You’ve lost 2 toenails, 3 more are badly blackened and the rest are practically hanging off.
    Your house stinks of Deep Heat, Tiger Balm, Arnica Gel and Olbas Oil.
    You’ve gone for a long slow run every Sunday morning for the past 6 months.
    You’ve stretched your hamstrings on the draining board while you’re waiting for the pasta to cook.
    You’ve consumed an entire packet of spaghetti on one sitting.
    You have an old biscuit tin full of vitamin supplements, calcium, magnesium and zinc.
    You’ve downloaded the theme music from the Chariots of Fire as the ring tone on your mobile phone.
    Your heart rate has fallen so far below 45 beats per minute that you are clinically dead!
    You’re hopelessly addicted to caffeine, ibuprofen, aspirin and LSD as in Long Slow Distance.
    You have a shed full of worn out runners.
    You’ve watched Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffan just to see the clips of Abebe Bikila.
    Your 4 favourite websites apart from westwaterfordathletics.org are runireland.com, letsrun.com, iaaf.org and mapmyrun.com
    Your freezer contains two packets of Bird’s Eye Peas, neither of which are for human consumption.
    You now understand the meaning of PB, PR, SB and DNS.
    Your pin for your credit/laser card is your goal time for the marathon.

Look forward to hearing all the tales of success afterwards.

what are people eating on the run?

Gels, jelly babies, Ride Shots and other high-carb, easily digestible food. I've heard of some people bringing a banana, but never chocolate chip cookies! I suppose they're high in sugar anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

I presume it's been done to death here, but what are people eating on the run?

Gels and jellies for me I think

Advertisement