Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

docjewel wrote: »
    hope to do one next year, but will be keeping this thread bookmarked as it contains so much info & good links

There'll be another thread like this next year, and one of this year's novices should be stepping up to mentor it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Gels, jelly babies, Ride Shots and other high-carb, easily digestible food. I've heard of some people bringing a banana, but never chocolate chip cookies! I suppose they're high in sugar anyway...

Not a lot of help to Conor but did you not see the multiple announcements and warnings to practice race nutrition on your runs long before today?

Now is not the time to try anything new!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

I presume it's been done to death here, but what are people eating on the run?

Had a couple of chocolate chip cookies during my long long run, and seemed to be nice, but was going very slowly so could nearly have stopped for a burger it was so relaxed. Anyone got any opinions on these or is it a case of whatever suits? Don't want to find out that the combo of biscuit and chocolate chip is notoriously terrible for cramps or something.

Whatever works for you in training should stand you in good stead in the marathon. If you feel they work for you - then they work for you. I'll be taking a couple of gels even though I am sceptical as to the benefit. I try to convince myself they work and then hope the placebo effect will help stave off the dreaded wall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Plodman wrote: »
    Whatever works for you in training should stand you in good stead in the marathon. If you feel they work for you - then they work for you. I'll be taking a couple of gels even though I am sceptical as to the benefit. I try to convince myself they work and then hope the placebo effect will help stave off the dreaded wall!!

Whats to be sceptical about?
    It tells you exactly what they offer in terms of nutrition on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

shivDCM wrote: »
    Whats to be sceptical about?
    It tells you exactly what they offer in terms of nutrition on the label.

Different people fine that different things work well for them.
    I am not sceptical about the nutritional value but I am not sure that they have a noticeable effect on my performance. I'll still take them just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Good luck to everyone running on Monday. I've been devouring this thread over the last two weeks when I made the decision to run next years marathon. I've definitely been bitten by the running bug (slightly jealous of everyone running this year!) and I'm really looking forward to next year.

Anyway, best of luck, you'll all do great! I'm going to be cheering you on from my couch watching it all on tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Anyway, best of luck, you'll all do great! I'm going to be cheering you on from my couch watching it all on tv!

Ah come on, go stand in the wind and rain and watch people grimace and stagger with looks of agony and pain on their faces. They will be very grateful.

And then later, we'll all do the Thriller video in the pub cause we'll all we walking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Boys and girls, how we all doing? Are we all mental yet? How often do you check the weather forecast?

2 things, Vaseline is your best friend on Monday morning, use it like its going out of fashion.

During the race, Pain is your friend. Use it to spur you forward.

Never stand still once you can't run if it happens to you. If you stand still you will seize up and it ain't pretty, keep moving forward no matter how slow.

Talking to yourself is allowed, talking to complete strangers is also allowed.

Oh and smile when you cross the finish line and go under the clock too, looks great in the photo.

And a big shout out to Ray the mentor - for a job well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

There'll be another thread like this next year, and one of this year's novices should be stepping up to mentor it...

Has Mr Slow not been auditioning for the role recently? You know the way he likes to follow in your footsteps :D

Something to listen to - Episode 14 of Marathon Talk

The Training Talk section, from about 15 minutes in, is all about race day. What to do from when you get up to when you go back to bed. I haven't listened to it since it was broadcast, but they usually give good advice.

• Advertisement

Plodman wrote: »
    Different people fine that different things work well for them.
    I am not sceptical about the nutritional value but I am not sure that they have a noticeable effect on my performance. I'll still take them just in case.
    They dont offer anything more than nutrition. Perphaps your expectations are too high?
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to use anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

damn...no excuses now. No injuries, no niggles, not feeling tired or sick, toenails are clipped, have a throwaway jacket, got gels, tape and bodyglide. Everything is ready. Now it's just down to me I guess :D

Thanks to Ray and everyone who offered advice, help, answered endless questions (mostly the same question I'd say) and did it all with good cheer and patience...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Has Mr Slow not been auditioning for the role recently? You know the way he likes to follow in your footsteps :D

Ha Bleedin Ha!

Tradition dictates that the novices have to nominate one of their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Thanks to Ray and everyone who offered advice, help, answered endless questions (mostly the same question I'd say) and did it all with good cheer and patience...

Just want to echo this. Thanks so much to Ray, Mr.Slow, rainbow_kirby and everyone else thats offered advice and support over the past few months. I was a latecomer to the thread but it really has been invaluable to me to maintain my motivation, self-belief and focus!

Also, thanks to YoungAnne for her post here way back when convincing me to sign up for DCM!

Much appreciated everyone! And best of luck to my fellow novices for Monday! Hope to meet ye at McGrattans afterwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

damn...no excuses now. No injuries, no niggles, not feeling tired or sick, toenails are clipped, have a throwaway jacket, got gels, tape and bodyglide. Everything is ready. Now it's just down to me I guess :D

+1 on that !

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Would also like to say 'thank you' to everyone for all the advice, I cannot wait for Monday :), very exciting!! Would not have got this far without this thread so thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

At the risk of asking a very stupid question. I've just bought bodyglide.
    Apart from the nipple area, what area's of the body should it be applied.
    I don't want to cover myself with this stuff, if i don't have to.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Ha Bleedin Ha!

Tradition dictates that the novices have to nominate one of their own!

Dont be worrying about tradition.

Let me be first to proudly nominate Mr Slow for next years thread.

PDCAT wrote: »
    At the risk of asking a very stupid question. I've just bought bodyglide.
    Apart from the nipple area, what area's of the body should it be applied.

Inner thighs, and possibly under your arms. Wherever things are rubbing off other things...

Taper madness really has got you bad :pac:

(It's good to have a recent ex-novice, because they have a better understanding of what the novices are going through, what kind of questions a novice needs to have answered, how complicated to make the advice, and so on. Plus, it's a nice way to give something back. )

• Advertisement

Taper madness really has got you bad :pac:

(It's good to have a recent ex-novice, because they have a better understanding of what the novices are going through, what kind of questions a novice needs to have answered, how complicated to make the advice, and so on. Plus, it's a nice way to give something back. )

yeah it does have me bad.
    I cant wait.

Makes sense.
    Looks like your off the hook MrSlow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Also also just want to say a big thank you to raycun, mr slow and everyone that offered advice. Have found this thread great for info and motivation, and entertainment along the way!!

Best of luck to everyone here the on Monday!

And in the big election news of today, I also think mr slow is well in the lead for next years thread!!

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Also also just want to say a big thank you to raycun, mr slow and everyone that offered advice. Have found this thread great for info and motivation, and entertainment along the way!!

Best of luck to everyone here the on Monday!

And in the big election news of today, I also think mr slow is well in the lead for next years thread!!

yes and he has no involvement with FF whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I've watched the full thing a few times, always goosebumps at the finish line part, worth a watch over the weekend, it's all on you tube.

Great clip and i'm with you on the goosebumps....bring it on:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dont be worrying about tradition.

I think you'd do a great job of it.

I like the blunt, no bullcrap attitude too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Looks like my hamstring issue isn't going away in a hurry. Even lying down in bed last night it was in pain. So I'm pulling out of the race. There is a chance I could run it and finish, but then I could also do some longer lasting damage too. I'd rather miss this than be off training for another month, or more. I'll drop in to the Expo tomorrow anyway, just to feel the excitement and check out the stands.
    Best to luck to everyone running on Monday, I know you all put in a vast amount of training and you all very much deserve to finish strong.
    One final piece of advice from Barney Stinson:
    http://youtu.be/D_-RDyxaJ1E

Eoin really sorry to hear that especially so close to the day, but you are right and its great that you can see the overall picture....mind yourself

ha ha love Barneys advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

yes and he has no involvement with FF whatsoever.

:pac:

que stories of Mr Slow accepting payment for advice in previous years...!

I think you'd do a great job of it.

I like the blunt, no bullcrap attitude too!

lol
    thanks for that.
    I fear you may be a bit premature though considering i havent finished a marathon yet.
    How you keeping anyhow?
    You'll be in McGrattans after I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

anyone know if there will be isogels as opposed to the thicker gels at the expo?
    also replacing lost salt on the run/or befor run - anyone any experience.

hope it aint as windy as predicted. dont mind the rain at all if it comes, only problem is it might keep some spectatots off the streets which would be a shame.
    thks

good luck to all.

• Advertisement

anyone know if there will be isogels as opposed to the thicker gels at the expo?

Amphibian King and sub4.ie will be there, I think, so someone should have isogels
    also replacing lost salt on the run/or befor run - anyone any experience.

Packet of crisps with your pint?

Advertisement