Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'm going with the BBC Forecast
    :pac: thats ALOT better then the one on rte.
    they were right about today too so it has to be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

shivDCM wrote: »
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'm going with the BBC Forecast
    :pac: thats ALOT better then the one on rte.
    they were right about today too so it has to be accurate.

It's a hell of alot better. Let's hope met eireann got it wrong AGAIN. Five days ago I thought it might be cancelled so it's all good.
    Cue song (nothings going to stop us now!) I hope everyone is singing
    Whoop whoop ! Roll on Monday !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

It finally dawned on me today I am doing a marathon when everyone in work wished me luck as I was leaving. Totally bricking it now :eek:
    And accu weather has it down for overcast on Monday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Nules10 wrote: »
    It finally dawned on me today I am doing a marathon when everyone in work wished me luck as I was leaving. Totally bricking it now :eek:

^+1 Nules!!!!!! Have been in complete denial all week, (whilst still enjoying the carb-loading :o) It's hitting home now as the clock is ticking on by and Monday is drawing nearer............BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck to all fellow novices, all hard work is done, now it's time to reap the rewards!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

And accu weather has it down for overcast on Monday. :)

fcuk it nules.
    too late for doubts now.
    think positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

In running it is man against himself, the cruelest of opponents. The other runners are not the real enemies. His adversary lies within him, in his ability with brain and heart to master himself and his emotions."
    --Glenn Cunningham

Thanks shiv and bubbly. I will go through a range of emotions between now and Monday but I know once I am on the start line it will all make sense ;) I would also like to say thanks to ray and co for all the advice since June. And to the rest of the novices thank god we had each other through the highs and lows of training. This thread was the first thing I checked in the morning and the last thing at night. I am looking forward to putting faces to the names. So none of you are allowed leave the pub till I get there. Good luck everyone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't go out too fast

Over the last few months there have been loads of questions about training - should I run on this day or that? what happens if I miss a run? what if I ran this run too slow? what if I start tapering too soon, or too late? should I eat two hours before racing or three? how should I carry my gels? should I take gels at all?

These are all reasonable questions, and it's natural to ask them, but a couple of runs here or there, or a slight difference in your gear on the day, isn't going to have a huge effect. One thing that will have a huge effect is running too fast.

I know you don't think it now, but you are all pretty fit and rested at this point. Your legs might feel heavy on your taper runs, but on Monday morning you will be in great shape. The whole build up to the marathon is pretty exciting, and the morning itself will see you bouncing off the walls right to the moment of the start.

And then you'll start, and you'll wonder why everyone is going so slow. Surely this is too slow? It feels too easy. And look at those guys, they're pushing on, dodging through the crowd - you could keep up with them no problem. you're feeling great, maybe you were too pessimistic in your predictions, maybe you'll go just a little faster, sure you can always slow down if it gets too hard. And it won't feel too hard - you'll run along feeling great, and really pleased with yourself for being ahead of target.

Until you hit Milltown, or Clonskeagh, and KABOOM!

And on Tuesday you'll write your race report and talk about how well you were doing until you hit the wall, and the brilliant time that you were on for.

But you were never really on for that time. You ran too fast and you ran out of energy, no big mystery.

So run smart. If you are in a pace group, stick with them until near the end. If you are wearing a pace band or a Garmin, check it at every mile, and if you are going too fast slow down. For the first 10 miles, you might think you are going too slow. but you will spend the last 10 miles passing hundreds and hundreds of walkers who got carried away at the start and are now going to come in 30 minutes behind you.

And don't worry about getting stuck behind people and slowed down a little at the start. Don't run around them - you are only burning energy and adding to the distance you run. Wait for a gap to open up (or stick your hands through them to open up a gap) and keep relaxed.

If you fall behind schedule for some reason - crowds at the start, a pit stop, an open shoelace - don't worry about it, and don't go too fast trying to make up time or catch up with the pacers. Only speed up by 5-10 seconds a mile.

Have some secondary targets

Even if you do run smart and at a steady pace, you might find at some point that the pace is just too much for you, and you are not going to make your target time. Have some secondary targets in mind, so you don't give up completely. Maybe you can't make sub 4, but you can still go under 4.10. maybe you can't get 4.30, but you can run every step of the way.

If you start walking, don't give up then either. Be strict with yourself and put limits on how much you walk - maybe you'll walk for 2 minutes, but then no more walking until the next mile marker, or until the next aid station. Don't get talking to people walking beside with you, because that means the two of you will just keep walking together. As soon as you can, start running again. Even if you are running slowly, even if you are running no faster than you were walking, if you are running then you'll be able to speed up again soon enough.

When you look back on the marathon, you might be happy with your time or not. But if you went as fast as you possibly could, and gave absolutely everything you had, you will always be proud of the achievement.

This is the most important piece of advice you will receive in this thread. Ignore it at your peril.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

shivDCM wrote: »
    lol
    thanks for that.
    I fear you may be a bit premature though considering i havent finished a marathon yet.
    How you keeping anyhow?
    You'll be in McGrattans after I presume?

Pffft it's as good as done now.

All is good, looking forward to it now hopefully after a good weekends rest. I'll be in McGrattans for one or ten after a big feed of food. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck on Monday boys and girls. Enjoy the day - you'll have a blast.

Relax and chill out at the weekend, try not to get too stressed and nervous, all the hard work is done. Remember, the training is the hard part - if you've done the training, the marathon is easy.

If you're having a hard time think of the nice cold pint waiting for you at the finish line. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Good luck to all on Monday.
    I've really enjoyed reading the thread this year as usual. For all those doing their first- It's been said many times I'm sure but one of the most important thing is ENJOY it, don't worry too much about times, a slow and steady first Marathon gives loads of scope for a massive PB in your second!
    I don't want to seem over dramatic but I think training for, and doing a Marathon can be a life changing thing, in a very positive way. So really this shouldn't be the end of an 18 week training plan as much as the first 18 weeks in the life of a runnaholic;)

May the road rise fall with ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

Wow.... I think after catching up with the crazy amount of posts here over the last day or two ( have just read the last ten pages!) I think now I am only after realising that yes.

I will be runnning a bloody marathon!!!

Did a 3km tonight and did it in 14min...

Thank god I stopped at that. Def have the extra energy.

Anything sub 5 hours will be AMAZING.

Going to stay with the 5 hr pacers and hope to do 6min55sec kms.

Hopefully some of ye will still be in McGrattans by the time i eventually finish!

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Folks, best of luck to everyone on monday.

I'll be one of the 4hr pacers (the one with the pretty shoes and the tight shorts :D). If any of you are following the group, be sure to introduce yourselves on the start line, we'll be there about 40mins before the off. I can promise there will be plenty of banter and a few laughs along the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey Folks, best of luck to everyone on monday.

I'll be one of the 4hr pacers (the one with the pretty shoes and the tight shorts :D). If any of you are following the group, be sure to introduce yourselves on the start line, we'll be there about 40mins before the off. I can promise there will be plenty of banter and a few laughs along the way :)
    I will take out the ear plugs to say hello ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

First and foremost thanks to Ray and everyone else for the support and advice in this thread. I know all the advice is good, even the advice I decided to ignore:). I've spent a lot of time in the last two months reading this, I would have posted more but the questions I had were usually asked by others before me.

I'm really looking forward to Monday and feeling very positive. I've heard that positive visualisation is beneficial so I've been picturing in my head all that will go right on Monday....starting with the pacers and feeling fresh, congratulating myself for being disciplined and staying with the group, feeling comfortable and in the groove for the first half, noting my half time and seeing I'm under no pressure, digging in as the miles clock up towards 20 and motivating myself with positive thoughts, about 22 miles realising that its probably on to reach my goal, 25 miles starting to feel emotional at the thought that nothing can stop me, last mile running on ahead of the pacers to glory....finishing straight and the kids shouting 'here comes daddy' , wife beaming....:D

Well, I don't know if just thinking about it will make it happen but that's the theory so who am I to argue. There may be a bit of pain in there somewhere but I won't visualise that:)

Best of luck to all the other novices, hope to meet a few of you on the day.

Keep her lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

snailsong wrote: »
    First and foremost thanks to Ray and everyone else for the support and advice in this thread. I know all the advice is good, even the advice I decided to ignore:). I've spent a lot of time in the last two months reading this, I would have posted more but the questions I had were usually asked by others before me.

I'm really looking forward to Monday and feeling very positive. I've heard that positive visualisation is beneficial so I've been picturing in my head all that will go right on Monday....starting with the pacers and feeling fresh, congratulating myself for being disciplined and staying with the group, feeling comfortable and in the groove for the first half, noting my half time and seeing I'm under no pressure, digging in as the miles clock up towards 20 and motivating myself with positive thoughts, about 22 miles realising that its probably on to reach my goal, 25 miles starting to feel emotional at the thought that nothing can stop me, last mile running on ahead of the pacers to glory....finishing straight and the kids shouting 'here comes daddy' , wife beaming....:D

Well, I don't know if just thinking about it will make it happen but that's the theory so who am I to argue. There may be a bit of pain in there somewhere but I won't visualise that:)

Best of luck to all the other novices, hope to meet a few of you on the day.

Keep her lit.

Sounds like a good plan. I hope it works for you. The very best if luck - it's a great feeling to see the delight and amazement in your kids faces. Makes it all worthwhile.

dev123 wrote: »

I've been debating about bringing my little ipod shuffle.

I ALWAYS run with it and find it very hard to power through without some tunes when the going gets tough.

Is it OK to bring it?

I've seen a few different people and that saying to leave it at home but really want to bring it with me!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Plodman wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan. I hope it works for you. The very best if luck - it's a great feeling to see the delight and amazement in your kids faces. Makes it all worthwhile.

+1 on this, one of the main motivating factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I ALWAYS run with it and find it very hard to power through without some tunes when the going gets tough.

Is it OK to bring it?

I've seen a few different people and that saying to leave it at home but really want to bring it with me!

Ran Cork 1/2 this year and really enjoyed it. No iPod, people cheering you on are more motivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Is it OK to bring it?

The organisers say they are not allowed for safety reasons. Honestly, the cheering from the crowds and support from your fellow runners is the best motivation in my experience when the going gets tough.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    The organisers say they are not allowed for safety reasons. Honestly, the cheering from the crowds and support from your fellow runners is the best motivation in my experience when the going gets tough.

Its just i have never been forced to think very hard while running as I just jog aloong with the music and don't want to be full of crazy worry during it! Ekk!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The first race I *ever* ran without an MP3 player was the 2009 Dublin marathon. The support is amazing along the course, you really don't need it.

The first race I *ever* ran without an MP3 player was the 2009 Dublin marathon. The support is amazing along the course, you really don't need it.

OK... I think I might leave it then.

I'm so deep in taper-pre-marathon-madness I don't know what to do and think I need sleep! :(:confused:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Going to stay with the 5 hr pacers and hope to do 6min55sec kms.

Hopefully some of ye will still be in McGrattans by the time i eventually finish!

:o

I will be glad of your company on the day. We may however be the only 2 sober boardies by the time we hit McGrattans

Do not bring it. Dublin is known for good reason as the friendly marathon. There is a brilliant atmosphere and great support all along the route. Savour every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

When the going gets tough -
    1. Focus on something internal. Repeat a mantra - "**** your legs, **** your legs, **** your legs", "pain is just weakness leaving the body" - or count your steps (like Paula Radcliffe),or concentrate on your form, making sure that your legs and arms are moving properly and your posture is right.
    2. Pay attention to the runners, the crowd, and the scenery around you
    3. Visualise the last mile of the race, running down Nassau street with the crowds cheering you on and sprinting across the finish line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

dev123 wrote: »

Is it OK to bring it?

I have the ear phones that loop around the back of the ear. I clip them to the collar of my top and if and when I'm struggling I can pop them in. That way you can enjoy the atmosphere and have some music close to hand.

As the saying goes ' Nothing new on race day'. If you have used music in training it will give you piece of mind to have it nearby. One less thing to worry about. :-)

ger664 wrote: »
    I will be glad of your company on the day. We may however be the only 2 sober boardies by the time we hit McGrattans
    it.
    There will be 3 sober boardies I will be with you too ;) see ya Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

There will be 3 sober boardies I will be with you too ;) see ya Monday

That'll be quickly rectified once ye arrive.

Re: Music, leave it at home, the crowds will help you greatly and when you get to the finish having overcome your flat spots with your own mental strength, you'll feel bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Also hope to go with the five hour group, see you Monday :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

just finished my Marathon, had a great run - aiming for 3:45, but done 1:59:59.
    No injury, no pain, didn't even take a drink or a gel - left the Kenyans trailing behind me.......

Now, must wipe that sleep from my eye and get out of bed & go visit this expo.

:-)

Best of luck everyone - Its not luck really, we've trained hard for it. Have a great run.

Advertisement