Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Well ladies and gentleman the time is nearly upon us. I would like to say a huge thanks to RayCun and Mr Slow for all their help and answering all my questions. Fair play to ye.

To all my other fellow novices the best of luck I hope ye enjoy the day as much as I hope to. Going to start with the 4 hour pacers and if need be I can fall back but either way I will finish (keep telling myself that).

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Can't believe we're off to the Expo, it's so real now!

Reading your posts this morning has brought tears to my eyes, probably taper madness but feel like we're coming to the end of an epic journey together and I'll miss logging on read all the brilliant questions I needed asked already asked for me and even more brilliant answers!!!

Thanks again to Raycun, Mr. Slow, Racoon Girl & all the other marathoners that have given their time & patience to us newbies.

Going off for a good cry now then off to the Expo to soak up some atmosphere, nervous energy and the like :D

Good luck on Monday everyone newbie or experienced, we're deadly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Thinking about getting a new gel belt. Would they have that type of thing at the expo?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭diddleyland

dev123 wrote: »
    I have the ear phones that loop around the back of the ear. I clip them to the collar of my top and if and when I'm struggling I can pop them in. That way you can enjoy the atmosphere and have some music close to hand.

As the saying goes ' Nothing new on race day'. If you have used music in training it will give you piece of mind to have it nearby. One less thing to worry about. :-)

I agree have the ipod with you.. i run with the ipod on and the earphones tucked into the shoulder of my sports bra its there if i need a bit of a boost but often i dont use it at all but its just knowing its there helps, if i do use it i only pop one earphone in keeping one ear free to hear any other things going on around me if needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

LaHaine wrote: »
    Thinking about getting a new gel belt. Would they have that type of thing at the expo?

Yup, quite a few of the stands should be selling that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

dart services are disrupted for the next couple of weeks.
    if your planning on getting the dart to the expo or marathon on monday
    might be worth checking to see if your affected:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...w&news_id=1226

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Walker11

. Just did my 2 mile with a smile on my face the whole way, it's all very emotional and exciting:) thanks to ray and the gang for the advice and support! Hope to follow the 4.30 pacers, see you there and good luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you can't get one, try this

That's my plan, I gave it a bash on my last run and found it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

OK, so its me, Kittymittens, Nules and Ger664 with the 5 hour pacer group?

Looking forward to meeting ye! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

Hey guys, heading up the big smoke tomorrow. I hear parking at expo is a bit mental! Do you recommend I go straight to Rds ( be there about 12) or should we park up at hotel ( clarion IFSC) and get bus or taxi out n back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

suseoh wrote: »
    Hey guys, heading up the big smoke tomorrow. I hear parking at expo is a bit mental! Do you recommend I go straight to Rds ( be there about 12) or should we park up at hotel ( clarion IFSC) and get bus or taxi out n back.

hey suseoh i was out there for 12 today and parking was fine for me. I parked in the RDS they were charging 6e but i told they guy i was only going to be there for 10 mins to collect my number... i came back two hours later ;) Others got parking along the streets and walked over. However i would imagine tomorrow will be alot busier. If you are up early enough you could straight over and wait for expo to open. i know it says 12 on the e mail but i think it was open earlier than that today

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

RayCun wrote: »
    When the going gets tough -
    1. Focus on something internal. Repeat a mantra - "**** your legs, **** your legs, **** your legs", "pain is just weakness leaving the body" - or count your steps (like Paula Radcliffe),or concentrate on your form, making sure that your legs and arms are moving properly and your posture is right.
    2. Pay attention to the runners, the crowd, and the scenery around you
    3. Visualise the last mile of the race, running down Nassau street with the crowds cheering you on and sprinting across the finish line

You are the man... Your 3pm pint is on me! :D

You are the man... Your 3pm pint is on me! :D

And 3:05 on me ;)

Nules10 wrote: »

hey suseoh i was out there for 12 today and parking was fine for me. I parked in the RDS they were charging 6e but i told they guy i was only going to be there for 10 mins to collect my number... i came back two hours later ;) Others got parking along the streets and walked over. However i would imagine tomorrow will be alot busier. If you are up early enough you could straight over and wait for expo to open. i know it says 12 on the e mail but i think it was open earlier than that today
    Hmmmm, 6 euro a bit cheeky really isn't it? Thanks for that, the earlier the better I'd say, I heard people mentioning Shrewsbury rd as a good spot for parking. Us culchies find the aul driving in the big smoke a bit tricky!
    Hope the expo was good. I can't take anymore carbs, now that I know I can have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Hmmmm, 6 euro a bit cheeky really isn't it? Thanks for that, the earlier the better I'd say, I heard people mentioning Shrewsbury rd as a good spot for parking. Us culchies find the aul driving in the big smoke a bit tricky!
    Hope the expo was good. I can't take anymore carbs, now that I know I can have them!

they charge that at all the shows in the rds.
    its alot cheaper than getting a taxi there and back from the IFSC.

shivDCM wrote: »

they charge that at all the shows in the rds.
    its alot cheaper than getting a taxi there and back from the IFSC.
    Fair point. Early to the RDS so I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Theres loads and loads of street parking around the RDS and it's all free at the weekends. I parked on Clyde Rd, near the American Embassy and had a 5 minute walk. It would be the same for Herbert Park, Serpentine av etc (all the non main rods close to the RDS).

Ah its not just you culchies that find it tricky us northside Dubs can find southside driving very tricky too ;) expo was excellent lots of things you can spend your hard earned cash on. Enjoy tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 29 barking1503

OK, so its me, Kittymittens, Nules and Ger664 with the 5 hour pacer group?

Looking forward to meeting ye! :D

Running with my training group dozen or so of us,but will be in or around the 5 hr group (1st timer) so hope to see ye all!!!
    Been quiet but enjoying immensely this thread so much thanks to everyone active on it. Great reading over the months!!

A good thought for us 1st timers:

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.......":eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Just finished packing and for the first time I started to feel nervous:eek:. Just want it to start now. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Younganne wrote: »
    Eoin really sorry to hear that especially so close to the day, but you are right and its great that you can see the overall picture....mind yourself

ha ha love Barneys advice....
    Yea, no point in making the injury worse, or not being able to finish...or both!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

got a gel belt down there today with pouch on it as well, and a 'race pack' of iso gels, which was loaded with gels, bars, sachets, and recovery drinks, and got the hole lot for a tenner, excellent value, easily worth 20 euro imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

As it looks like rain on monday its a good idea to be prepared as you may be waiting around for 1/2 an hour or so. I got one of these from argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3400504/Trail/searchtext%3EPINCHO.htm A bin liner would be just as good. Also I am going to wear a t-shirt that I can just throw away at the start so I am warm. Nothing worse than starting off too cold.

I like making lists. It relaxes me so here is my list for Monday. May help you. I find it best to organize it this way. yes its over the top :) but its everything that I may need. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alh6ofJoLlpTdDFyOW92QlR5Z0lUOHc4b1BHb181REE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Start hydrating today not Monday morning.

If you do this then the most you will really need to drink on race morning is a Glass or 2 of water before the off.

As regards water stations try and dispose of your bottles to the side or the bins provided. For slower runners watch out for bottles on the ground they do present a hazard.

Other then that the hard work is done in getting to the start fit/fresh and in the right frame of mind.

Go out run your first marathon, enjoy and savor the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

So the exhausted feeling has passed and the butterflies have taken over :) I've thanked ye all before for the advice, the support and the camaraderie and if I thanked ye another 10 times it still wouldn't be enough as I feel like I owe ye big time!! Getting all emotional now :D Off to Dublin this morning - can't wait to check out the expo! Going to see if i can tag along with the 4.15 pacers race day...hope to see some of ye, if not at the start line hopefully in McGrattans. Best of luck to one and all!! We've put the hard work in and whatever the outcome, we can be proud of what we've achieved!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ger664 wrote: »
    As regards water stations

And remember there are several tables at the water stations. Everyone goes to the first table :rolleyes: but if you go further along there'll be less of a crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Morning everyone. Hope ye all changed the clocks.
    My head was all over the place yesterday and totally forgot to ask the lads at the expo if the 4.15 pacers will be at the back of wave 2 or the start of 3. If it is 3 well then I have a green number for 2. Ray I know you said we can move down but was I meant to sort that out yesterday at the expo?! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks to all the people who mentored this thread. Especially as one who didn't get with the programme exactly and dipped in and out, like the tourist who tags along with the guided group but doesn't pay!

Heading to Dublin soon, doing the packing. My wife watching the mound of stuff growing with eyes getting wider, and chipped in with some really refreshing advice. A friend of hers did it before and forgot his running top...so ran it in a formal work shirt! I wouldn't recommend it myself - and he is a gaa man from East Kerry, so I'm assuming he's tough! - but I guess it goes to show that last minute calamities and omissions can be overcome and not to get too stressed. We're all reasonably fit, that's got to be the biggy.

• Advertisement

My two week old daughter is coming with us to Dublin. her list of stuff to bring is shorter than stuff for the race. Wife does not see the humour in this fact. :) but if we are missing any stuff for her we can buy it in tesco i say to redeem myself. :)

Advertisement