Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

mazken wrote: »
    Going to see if i can tag along with the 4.15 pacers race day...

Me too!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Morning everyone. Hope ye all changed the clocks.
    My head was all over the place yesterday and totally forgot to ask the lads at the expo if the 4.15 pacers will be at the back of wave 2 or the start of 3. If it is 3 well then I have a green number for 2. Ray I know you said we can move down but was I meant to sort that out yesterday at the expo?! Thanks in advance for any advice!

4:15 pacers will be posotioned at the start of wave 3.

At the expo pay a visit to the pacers stand. It is manned by the pacers themselves and they will answer any queries you may have (regarding pacing:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Best of luck all, the final countdown is on! Have been following the great advice on this thread for the last few months and great to have all those little questions answered by Ray and co. thanks again! Hope everyone has a great day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

ger664 wrote: »
    4:15 pacers will be posotioned at the start of wave 3

Oops. Can I move back to wave 3 then or is it too late?? (was at expo yesterday).
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oops. Can I move back to wave 3 then or is it too late??

There's no problem moving down a wave, from 2 to 3 (or 1 to 2). It's only moving up a wave that you need to arrange at the expo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Another lovely morning out there today.
    It will be proper unlucky if the weather turns out like this:

Wet and windy tomrorow morning as heavy rain moves eastwards across the country. The weather will clear in the afternoon and the winds will drop off

Do you think its worth thinking about running in a waterproof jacket. I didnt do any of my LSRs in one but i didnt have weather like that either. I'll wear something disposable at the start line but I mean something to wear during the race itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.rds.ie/cat_event_detail.jsp?itemID=1099288
    Date: Saturday October 29, 2011 - Sunday October 30, 2011

Venue: Hall 1

Opening Hours:
    Sat & Sun: 11.00am - 6.00pm

So its an starts an hour earlier according to the RDS and someone a few pages back said it was open before 12 so it looks like 11 am. also a list of the talks that are on. Overview of the course may be nice to hear. http://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/home/features.html.php

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shivDCM wrote: »
    Do you think its worth thinking about running in a waterproof jacket.
    No. You'll be uncomfortably warm in one, and you'll probably end up just as wet from the extra sweat it will cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

shivDCM wrote: »
    Another lovely morning out there today.
    It will be proper unlucky if the weather turns out like this:

Wet and windy tomrorow morning as heavy rain moves eastwards across the country. The weather will clear in the afternoon and the winds will drop off

Do you think its worth thinking about running in a waterproof jacket. I didnt do any of my LSRs in one but i didnt have weather like that either. I'll wear something disposable at the start line but I mean something to wear during the race itself.

Once you are warm to start anything like that will hold you back. Its fine to wear themon shorter runs but it will keep you too warm. I find that 14-15 miles is the most I can run with that gear on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Once you get moving shiv you'll get warm. If you do have something on you that you're throwing away at the start, keep it on for a couple of miles until you're warm then dump it.

If you have a jacket with you, you don't want the hassle of carrying it all the way around. Remember you'll be running for a good period of time so if you have 2 layers on, you will sweat a bit more.

Good luck to all in the morning. Remember folks you've done the miles so don't mind the voices in your head telling you 'no'.

• Advertisement

Also, just to confuse ye a bit more...

Forecast from M.T. Cranium on the weather forum:
    MONDAY ... A band of moderate to heavy rain will slowly cross the country reaching the Dublin region by afternoon. Some slight clearing may follow in the west, and winds will continue S-SW 20-40 mph, with highs 13-16 C. Rainfalls of 15-30 mms with spot flooding possible.

Met Eireann:
    Heavy rain will move into the Midlands early tomorrow morning and then quickly reach the east coast. It will continue to rain for the early afternoon, but then the weather will clear soon afterwards. It will be quite windy as it rains, but the winds will drop with the clearance and it will become slightly fresher in the afternoon. Highest temperautres tomorrow around 14 or 15 degrees.

I think we know which would be preferable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Met Eireann's website will crash today. If its dry for the start, i'll be happy. Tis the standing around in the rain is a fecker.

Dunnes binliners are in place so they shall cover the Pennys throwaways and the Ascis/Decathlon gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Thanks for that guys and while I'm at it thanks Ray and everyone for the great advice over the course of the training.
    I couldnt have got through the LSRs without the phoenix park weekend crew so a big thanks to you lot to. Best of luck tomorrow everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Duckee

Just popping in to wish you all good luck tomorrow. Wish I was there too but heres to next year. :-)

Hope you all reach your target times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good luck everyone...

Today is going to be the longest day ever, between checking the weather and sorting out various strategies and also finding time to eat over and over again

Just do what I did before the last two Dublin marathons: Curl up under a blanket and watch every single match on Sky Sports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Just do what I did before the last two Dublin marathons: Curl up under a blanket and watch every single match on Sky Sports :)

Sounds like a good plan but I have to head up to the big smoke today. Would much rather your day:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The Mighty Leeds United are on the telly today.

Watch it. Be joyful. Cheer us on and watch us crumble to Cardiff bloody City. We never beat those f*cker. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi all,

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, its been a tough but enjoyable few months and it will all pay dividends tomorrow.

Thanks to all for their contributions to the thread especially Ray & Mr Slow been great reading and inspiration.

Will be with the 4hr pacers, looking forward to meeting Meno and having some good craic along the way

Cant wait to hear all the success stories after the race

IMKNACKERED

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭diddleyland

getting very nervous now i've even started nesting!!!!! i'm sure i'll be grand once i get to dublin and get my number, stupid husbands stupid soccer match meaning we'll only get to the RDS at a bit after 5pm... dont like cutting things fine its adding to the nervous energy at this rate i will be buzzing all night!!!!!!

good luck to everyone tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Brewski78

Just want to add my thanks and wish everyone good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Marathon2011

Thanks to all who mentored in this thread. Good luck to everyone else. I can not believe I'm going to line out for the marathon tomorrow! This has been the longest long weekend EVER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Eeep! :eek: Still nervous but excited to get started now!

All packed, clothes ready, number pinned on. Now to relax and keep hydrated for the day..!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Good luck to all tomorrow- I hope you all exceed your expectations:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have a great run tomorrow everyone.
    Remember - training was the work, tomorrow is the reward. Enjoy yourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Good luck to everyone tomorrow :D

I'm going off with the 4:15 pacers so looking forward to plenty of banter & egging on, will certainly need it at some points but hopefully not too many!

Bring it on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Went sub 3.30 on the drive from the house to IKEA. Must be a good sign.

The weather will be grand tomorrow. We'll all be finished before the rain hits, I have it on good authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Special word of thanks to all the mentors, smashing work, hope ye meet your goals too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

People worry about things you can control.......the weather ain't one of them.

If it rains, meh.

If its windy, meh.

Control your mind and you'll control your race.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Been snooping now for months... so decided I should 'fess up and say thanks to all the mentors esp, Ray and Slow but also all the others who have dispensed amazing advice to the unsure, unwashed and untested... (ie me...)

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Advertisement