Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. Im sooo jealous of ye all- wish I was lining up alongside all of ye. Try to take in as much of the experience as ye can. Running your first marathon is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'll be starting with the 5hr pacers and be wearing a Wicklow Hospice top please say hello !

Thanks to Ray and everyone for their sound advice, totally hyper at the min.

If anyones really stressed out, take a look at this vid and follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Also, just to confuse ye a bit more...

Forecast from M.T. Cranium on the weather forum:

Met Eireann:

I think we know which would be preferable :pac:

Been following MT since last winter - he's usually spot on - hope this continues tomorrow.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow - would like to add my thanks to Ray and everyone else on this forum for all the questions answered and some I hadn't thought of. Hope your advice will keep me from going out too fast tomorrow ! Plan to go with the 5 hour pacers also.

Loved the forum - had no reliable internet access during the summer so didn't update the tables and seemed too late after that - hasn't stopped me checking it regularly (a few times a day for the last week:o) - almost feels like I'm stalking :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iliketorun

HI all. Firstly, thanks to the mentors for your replies to my previous posts. It was also very interesting to read everyone elses posts as it answered loads of questions I didn't ask.
    Things have changed alot since I last posted and I'm doing the marathon tomorrow. My PT gave me alot of faith and told me I may still have a chance so I decided not to quit afterall.
    My hamstring is grand and I managed not to reinjure it after a 21 mile run 2 weeks ago. Set a PB running 10 miles too. In the period where I couldn't run I still walked 60+ miles a week.
    I always have to go to the jacks just before all my runs, I was wondering if I would get this chance if I'm at the very back of the 1st wave( would be a nightmare waiting at the front of the 2nd wave)? I guess its just a nervous thing, it feels like the day before the leaving cert or finals today lol.
    I always have 3 servings shredded wheat for breakfast but was thinking toast and boiled eggs might be safer as there is less fibre in them lol.
    Another question. What time should I arrive at the starting area for a 9.50 start?
    Thats it, good luck to everyone tomorrow and happy halloween :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

iliketorun wrote: »
    I always have 3 servings shredded wheat for breakfast
    If this is what you've had before all your long runs, I wouldn't change now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Dsenna

Hi All, Best of Luck tomorrow ,this forum has got me through the training and given me lots of helpful and informative information so a huge thanks to Ray and the team for getting me to the start line in the morning and all going well across the finish line around 2.30pm to complete my first marathon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck to all the novices tomorrow. You'll all do great. You have been given a wealth of information from Ray & Co over the weeks. The information from the last week is the most important.

Don't be tempted to change your plan or strategy no matter how good you feel in the morning or in the first few miles. Keep all your energy for the last 6.2.

The people you pass walking or stopped will be those that thought they could run quicker but hadn't trained accordingly. I was one of those last year and don't intend to be tomorrow.

Will be struggling to make McGrattan's I think so look forward to reading loads of great reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Me too!!!!!! :D

Cool :) Figure there'll be a few people following this group but i'll be wearing a blue top and 3/4 length running pants so if you want to pop over, say hi and have a natter that'd be great! Presume pink is your colour of choice so will keep an eye out for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

mazken wrote: »
    Cool :) Figure there'll be a few people following this group but i'll be wearing a blue top and 3/4 length running pants so if you want to pop over, say hi and have a natter that'd be great! Presume pink is your colour of choice so will keep an eye out for ya :D

Hey, would be great to chat with a few fellow boardsie novices before the start. I'll be wearing a white cap and blue top.

Best of luck everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

run44 wrote: »
    Hey, would be great to chat with a few fellow boardsie novices before the start.

Brill Aoife!! I'll keep an eye out for you!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

run44 wrote: »
    Hey, would be great to chat with a few fellow boardsie novices before the start.

Brilliant Aoife!!! Bernie's my name and as previously guessed, I'll be in pink!!! :) (luminous pink headband too)!! Can't wait to see everyone at the starting line tomorrow (and more importantly, at the finish!!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Brilliant Aoife!!! Bernie's my name and as previously guessed, I'll be in pink!!! :) (luminous pink headband too)!! Can't wait to see everyone at the starting line tomorrow (and more importantly, at the finish!!!) :D

Great, hopefully I'll be able to pick you out easily enough so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Agh, I just put a hot iron on the timing chip on the bottom middle of my race number. Anyone know if this will have damaged it so that it won't work?

I see there are two chips on the back of the race number anyway - is one a backup or does anyone know why there are two/how they work?

Thanks and good luck to all! :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm going to be running in a green top with a bright orange vest over the top. If anybody see's me say hi, I'll be with the 4 pacers most of the way hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

I met Mankini Man at the Expo (From the Phoenix Park Half) and he is wearing same outfit tomorrow. I had him alongside for 4 miles then but I don't want to cross the line with him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread, it has been invaluable to a first timer like me. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, very nervous and excited :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Best of luck to all the first timers tomorrow.... Run within yourself and most of all, enjoy every minute of this amazing event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Best of luck everyone. Thanks for all the advice.

Ps: I am SH*TTIN it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

have the hee bee geebies now.... its gettin close..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

Clothes laid out. Bus timetable checked.

Alright all, see you tomorrow!

Good luck all! :D

• Advertisement

Might be a stupid question, is the timing chip contained in the pads at back of number? In other races got a bit of plastic to clip to ankle or laces.

And think baggage area determined by colour number. Think I put down a 4.15, but my number isn't really green or blue...it's kinda turquoise!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

Might be a stupid question, is the timing chip contained in the pads at back of number? In other races got a bit of plastic to clip to ankle or laces.

And think baggage area determined by colour number. Think I put down a 4.15, but my number isn't really green or blue...it's kinda turquoise!

Yupp it's on the pads on the back of your number!

3:30 to 4:15 is green.

4:15 and over is blue....

I'm sure they will sort you out tomorrow in the baggage place!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

And think baggage area determined by colour number.

Baggage area is divided into 500s, like the Expo number collection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I am travelling in from Kildare and looking at the map it seems that most of the roads are blocked on the southside. Would anyone be able to advise me what would be the best route to take to get into Fitzwilliam Square?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

lads , i know this is very last miniute, but is the bag drop in a different place to the start line??? And where?? thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Bag stoppage in merion south..if your bib is orange then you are in orange area,If it's green then ur in green area and if it's blue then ur in blue area.orange us for runners going out at 9.50,green is runners to do time 3.30 - 4.15 and blue is people wana do 4.15 plus
    Going to leaba now - ahhh!!! Good luck everyone
    Sleep well : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good luck from d'other side of the pond everyone. :)

4 hours 29 mins 5 secs...4 secs...3 secs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good luck everyone!

Dont eat anything different this morning than if you were doing a random LSR :cool:

Im wearing same gear I have worn to a number of races, knowing I wont be uncomfortable or get cut to ribbons :cool:

Remember - we have all done the training, it will be fine! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Just checked the forecast, it'll be grand. G'luck all. I'm 2440, say hello if you see me.

Advertisement