Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

ah first post in this thread ~2 hours before the start! been reading the advice here silently taking it all in guys thanks to all and good luck fellow first timers :) bricking it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

last post as a marathon virgin. best o' luck. see yis on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Carbs Loaded
    Number Pinned
    Nips Taped

See you on the other side

-F*ck your legs!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck to all. Wish I was there. :)

where can i get the chip time result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Well done to everyone in the marathon today! You're all fantastic! Congratulations from me and my sister (some of you might recognise us)!!

308745_130056363769115_100002942575257_169594_275945413_n.jpg

im in that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

shivDCM wrote: »
    where can i get the chip time result?

Aren't up yet but should be here later
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/results.php

Also in the Independent tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14 oshow

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

Aquals wrote: »
    Well done to everyone in the marathon today! You're all fantastic! Congratulations from me and my sister (some of you might recognise us)!!

I remember you two. Fair play to you, the support was great today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Well done to all the finIshers!! Brilliant support, just please no heavy showers next year!!! Great day, great run. Thanks to all involved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Well done to all the finIshers!! Brilliant support, just please no heavy showers next year!!! Great day, great run. Thanks to all involved!!

Hey, well done everyone! Had a great day. Sore now and was shivering earlier (so, so cold) so headed straight home for a warm shower instead of going to McGrattans. Apologies! Hope you all had a great day. Will post a review of my race tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

run44 wrote: »
    headed straight home for a warm shower instead of going to McGrattans.
    Same with me... rain lashed out just after I finished and I didn't fancy sitting in the pub soaked and shivering. Also walking wasn't too easy after the finish :P Managed to stretch a bit and went for Luas. Glad I didn't try stopping before the finish, I might not have been able to run back again. And got ice bath instead of hot shower :D - I hope my legs will thank me for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Aquals wrote: »

Aww you two girls put a smile on my face 3 times. thanks a mil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quarter pounder

Ah massive well done to everybody today, Boards people you are Awesome! Thank you for helping me getting over the line. To take on the classical distance, be in pain and still smile... stuff of dreams. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the support was absolutely fantastic. No wonders it's called the friendly marathon. Really made a difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Anyone have a rough idea of how long it would take to walk the marathon. FOR THE AVERAGE MAN OR WOMAN IS WHAT I SHOULD HAVE SAID. THE BUTTON IS GIVING ME TROUBLE SO THIS IS BIG PRINT, SORRY.

Now, i've sorted it. Another question, has anyone any tips to help with shin splints?, they're a right sore nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

I agree! Was smiling all the way around because of the great support. Didnt think they'd be out in such force due to the weather but writing my name on my t-shirt was the best decision ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

The support was awesome, thanks to everyone who came out along the way, really cheered me up I smiled the whole way round!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Congratulations to all on completing the marathon - knew we'd do it :D Had a target time of 4.15 and finished in 4.03.52....delighted, elated and exhausted!! Fortunately everything felt right on the day, felt good throughout and then gave it socks for the last few miles!! Remembered all the advice everyone gave at various times - thank you!! The support was just amazing too - had goosebumps on more than one occasion!! It poured just after finishing the race, all of a sudden I was freezing and decided that a hot shower was the only thing for me! hope ye had a few celebratory drinks in McGrattans!
    Quick question...were we supposed to give the chip back at the end?? Only dawned on me in the last 5 mins as i was proudly looking at my race number that the chips were still attached!!!!! My time is up on the website so hoping it doesn't make a difference!! can anyone shed light on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

mazken wrote: »
    Congratulations to all on completing the marathon - knew we'd do it :D Had a target time of 4.15 and finished in 4.03.52....delighted, elated and exhausted!! Fortunately everything felt right on the day, felt good throughout and then gave it socks for the last few miles!! Remembered all the advice everyone gave at various times - thank you!! The support was just amazing too - had goosebumps on more than one occasion!! It poured just after finishing the race, all of a sudden I was freezing and decided that a hot shower was the only thing for me! hope ye had a few celebratory drinks in McGrattans!
    Quick question...were we supposed to give the chip back at the end?? Only dawned on me in the last 5 mins as i was proudly looking at my race number that the chips were still attached!!!!! My time is up on the website so hoping it doesn't make a difference!! can anyone shed light on this?

Well done on todays run relax and enjoy ur few drinks :) Chip in number didnt need to b given back... Ur main objective should b to plan ur next marathon :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

liamo123 wrote: »
    Well done on todays run relax and enjoy ur few drinks :) Chip in number didnt need to b given back... Ur main objective should b to plan ur next marathon :eek:

phewwwwwww.....the relief :D Was telling my friends today that I think i'm going to go into marathon mourning! The whole process has consumed my life for the last few months and for it to be all over makes me a little bit sad!! while another marathon may not be on the cards for quite a while, I might have to start planning some sort of race ;) Now, when the pain really sets in tomorrow I'm sure it'll be a different story but long live this delirious feeling of having achieved something so special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

chinguetti wrote: »

Anyway, best of luck, you'll all do great! I'm going to be cheering you on from my couch watching it all on tv!

Ah come on, go stand in the wind and rain and watch people grimace and stagger with looks of agony and pain on their faces. They will be very grateful.

And then later, we'll all do the Thriller video in the pub cause we'll all we walking like that.

I would have but I'm based in Monaghan at the minute but if I could I would. I was proud of everyone who did the DCM. But I will be there with bells on next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

this week - nothing until Friday, then two very easy miles, and two more on Sunday
    next week (from the 7th) - Tuesday 2, Wednesday 4, Thursday 2, and Saturday run 30-60 minutes
    from the 14th - Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4, Thursday 3, and Saturday run 45-60 minutes
    from the 21st - Tuesday 4, Wednesday 5, Thursday 4, and Saturday run 60 minutes
    from the 28th - Tuesday 4, Wednesday 5, Thursday 4, and now you're ready to start racing again...

(all Hal Higdon)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

run44 wrote: »
    Hey, well done everyone! Had a great day. Sore now and was shivering earlier (so, so cold) so headed straight home for a warm shower instead of going to McGrattans. Apologies! Hope you all had a great day. Will post a review of my race tomorrow!

Me too!

Hurt my groin at mile 3 leaping over rubbish and had to take it real slow.

Mile 21 for me it started LASHING rain.

I was shivering like a crazy person and could not feel my hands for the last 60 mins!

EVENTUALLY got over the line at 5:14.

Was really hoping for Sub 5 hours but It was my first marathon and i'm not gonna beat myself up over it.

It was a great experience.

It took me 30 min to get out of my wet clothes with my numb hands! Walked slowly for the 46a and got home to a warm boyfriend singing my praises.

AMAZING.

Thanks all, I'm sure there will be another time to buy Ray a pint!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Delighted I finished but such a bad run half marathon time was down 25 mins just could not get into it. Ended up 4.45 had a stitch after 5 miles and could not shake it. Ah well at least I finished

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Wow what a day!!! Tried out with 4:15 pacers in the beginning (i was the pink lady!!!) :D but knew after first mile that I would be doing what Ray advised against and heading out too fast,(even thought I felt fine) so re-adjusted my head to get a 4:30 time instead. Ended up doing 4:22 so was over the moon. The crowds and support were AMAZING, couldn't have done it without them!!! Not ashamed to say a tear or two was shed at the finish where all the family and the boyfriend were cheering me on to get over the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iliketorun

Was an epic day and my first of many marathons went great. I couldn't of gotten my time without the amazing support from the crowds. The cheering gives u so much strength to go faster and makes up for bad training lol. Legs feel fine but feet are pretty sore. Also pain from shoving 3 packs of sports beans in back of shorts.
    Just wondering what the story is with the results???? They seem to be messed up. It has my 10k, 1/2,chip and finishing times as 37,1:37,3:17,3:17 and I know this is impossible. The clock at the 5mile,1/2 and 20mile and finish read 42,1:42,2:35 and 3:22 as I passed them. I was near back of 1st wave and crossed start line a minute and a bit after gun time.
    Am much more confident in myself anyway after today. Hope everyone else got what they wanted out of the marathon. What a great way to spend halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Great day.

Massive thanks to the 4:15 pacers. I hope the pacer who took a spill is OK and fair play to the lad who took his balloon and ran on with us. I was the one with the fluorescent yellow tee-shirt.

I hung with you till just before the N11 flyover but a back spasm stopped me for a while. Lost about 15 minutes trying to stretch and get moving again, managed to make up some of the time and finished in 4:28:10.

On to Connemara now to try and reach 4:15 all over again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congratulations to everyone for getting through to the finish line, tought conditions at times especially for over 4 hrs...
    my results aren't on the website so i'm going by my garmin 4.27.50...im delighted with that.

Great to put faces to names today, deligted to meet ye....but i was delight to get home to my hot/cold shower this evening at 8...boy it was cold out there at the end....my darling husband dried my feet & changed my socks for me at the side of the road after i met up with him and the kids!!!
    my 2 yr old wants to know why im walking "like that":D...it won't be pretty tomorrow.....the 20 min walk back to our car was actually great as it loosened out my legs...so hopefully wont be too bad tomorrow!!

Ray on the ball as ever, with the plan for the next few weeks, fair play to you and well done on today!!!

Have to say the support of the crowd was fantastic and there were some great poster out there.......and as usual the volunteers were fantastic. Thanks to them all, without them this would not be possible!!
    Anne

Advertisement