Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RayCun wrote: »
    Just watched the clip Ray, its brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 salmonshirt

Well done to everyone who took part today. It was my first and I completed it in 4:52. Absolutely delighted! As many of you have already mentioned, the support was amazing! It really got me through to the end. I availed of some of the jelly babies being handed out from around the 17th mile. What a feeling it was to cross the finish line! My wife was there with a big hug and some warm clothes at the end. I was dead on my feet and walking like a very old man. Burger and chips were on the menu tonight and it was the best meal I've had in a long time!

Wheeeeeew.

3.59.22. Just about beat the 4 hours. Ran up Heartbreak Hill and regretted that bravado! From there on it was a case of mechanically putting one leg in front of the other in the shortest time possible! Great crowds, loved the atmosphere. Pleased with that, had no idea what my time would be so was guesstimating 4.15.

Now the first one is done, I think I'll do another. Though perhaps this week I'll focus on beer and cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Younganne wrote: »
    Congratulations to everyone for getting through to the finish line, tought conditions at times especially for over 4 hrs...
    my results aren't on the website so i'm going by my garmin 4.27.50...im delighted with that.

Great to put faces to names today, deligted to meet ye....but i was delight to get home to my hot/cold shower this evening at 8...boy it was cold out there at the end....my darling husband dried my feet & changed my socks for me at the side of the road after i met up with him and the kids!!!
    my 2 yr old wants to know why im walking "like that":D...it won't be pretty tomorrow.....the 20 min walk back to our car was actually great as it loosened out my legs...so hopefully wont be too bad tomorrow!!

Ray on the ball as ever, with the plan for the next few weeks, fair play to you and well done on today!!!

Have to say the support of the crowd was fantastic and there were some great poster out there.......and as usual the volunteers were fantastic. Thanks to them all, without them this would not be possible!!
    Anne

Younganne was that you i met in the loo at Mcgrattans. My mum and sis where taking my socks off and dressing me and you told me your hubby did the same at the side of the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Aquals wrote: »
    Well done to everyone in the marathon today! You're all fantastic! Congratulations from me and my sister (some of you might recognise us)!!

308745_130056363769115_100002942575257_169594_275945413_n.jpg

Pacing 5 hours the and these 2 gals where brilliant, Im still a skinny as a keynan :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Nules10 wrote: »
    Younganne was that you i met in the loo at Mcgrattans. My mum and sis where taking my socks off and dressing me and you told me your hubby did the same at the side of the road :D

Yes that was me...i was there for a while but kids were tired so we left...Ray siad you were there but you were missing from you seat...now i know where you were. ;) How did it go for you today???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

This has to go to Kit3

She was with the 5 hour pacers all the way to 21 where she fell behind. I remember trying to get her to stay with us @ mile 21 but to no avail. Thought she had cook her race and was 5:15 ish, Imagine my surprise to turn around at the finish and see here push out for a sub 5:00 (with some help).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

ger664 wrote: »
    Pacing 5 hours the and these 2 gals where brilliant, Im still a skinny as a keynan :pac:

Of all the crowd I told everyone about you too. Great support.

I was in the 2nd wave. My chip and real time were the same. My Garmin was less than them by a few mins. Do the times change once the waves work out ? My time and ""real time"" are identical from the site. Hwo is this possbile ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 suseoh

What a day! Aimed for 3:45 and came in 3:42:34 .
    Support was fantastic.
    Thanks to 3:45 pacers I ran first 10 with ye, ye were so popular it was like trying to get near the Barack Obama!
    Heard all your encouragement and cheering the whole way through!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It might take a day or two for the results to get sorted out properly. If your finish time is still wrong on Thursday, send an email to the marathon office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Anyone else have problems with their medals? I got home yesterday to find the colourful piece had fallen off. Just some glue residue left. Think the organisers will fix it? Not majorly important but it would be nice to have the whole medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

This time last year was sitting on couch, muscles aching and eating all around me due to a BAD halloween hangover..........Today, it's pretty much the same symptoms but for a different reason....Dublin City Marathon 2011, it's been a pleasure, all 26.2miles of you!!!!!!!! (I lie, the last 5 were a mother-trucker!!!!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

Fantastic day folks. Well done to everyone who claimed their shiny medals. Support was great and I'll never forget the huge roar we got coming into Terenure.

Was hoping to break 4 hours and came in 3.58. Didn't think I could do it a lot of the way around the course. Found the last hill and the last couple of miles really tough. Never got to thank Meno at the end I was so exhausted but big thank you here to Meno and the other 4 hour pacers. Thanks again to Ray for all the useful advise. I also owe you a pint!

Well done everyone. It sure was a great day. And the support was just fantastic especially around Terenure it actually brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. I am thrilled to have come home in 4:56:16. I must be some kind of freak as i found the last 6 miles great i loved the feeling of been on the home stretch. First 20 i didnt love so much :) I have one mother of a blister on my heel. Ahh the war wounds. thanks again ray was good to chat to you yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

In work, about to get really busy and my left leg does not work - d'oh!

:)

Note: My Garmin was started as I went over the mat and run as I do every time, said at the end said a time 5 minutes slower than chip time? I will take the chip time, no bother, but I dont understand why that would happen?

Delighted I finished but such a bad run half marathon time was down 25 mins just could not get into it. Ended up 4.45 had a stitch after 5 miles and could not shake it. Ah well at least I finished

Ahh well done Dave. We did it. Hope you are recovering nicely this morning. wasn't too long in behind you well a good 10 mins it was. See you next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

What a day! Had an absolute blast yesterday.

Unfortunately, I was very nervous from the start and the HR was way up from the beginning. Had a great distraction for around miles 5-12 chatting to fellow boardsie Cutex, but I got stuck in a crowd at a water station at mile 12 so fell behind a bit! To be honest, miles 10-14 were the ones I found toughest. However, hitting the fantastic and very vocal crowds at mile 15 was AMAZING. Basically, I had my name (which was written on my t-shirt) cheered constantly for 5-10 mins. It was like a blast of energy every time, fantastic support! Oddly, only at this point the the HR relax a bit and stayed down ‘til the last few miles. Really enjoyed everything after that and was glad I still had something in the tank for the last few miles. Managed to run the last mile as one of my fastest, despite the very heavy rain. My goal was sub 4:30 and was delighted with my time of 4:21:29! HR went a bit mad again after I finished and was shivering badly while waiting to meet up with family but all in all I had a brilliant and unforgettable day.

Many thanks again to Ray, Mr.Slow and my fellow novices on the thread, could not have done it without ye. Well done everyone!

In work, about to get really busy and my left leg does not work - d'oh!

:)

Note: My Garmin was started as I went over the mat and run as I do every time, said at the end said a time 5 minutes slower than chip time? I will take the chip time, no bother, but I dont understand why that would happen?

reverse happened to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4.39. Going for sub 4.

Dunno what to say. Dont want to have excuses just dont think its a fair reflection of the training I did.

Definitely doing another now to set the record straight. Not giving up that easily.

Congrats to everyone! Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

well done to everyone, the support was fantastic along the course and especially in those last 3 miles, didn't get the time i was hoping for as my ankle injury came back to haunt me at the 14 mile mark:mad: but managed a 4.39 which i'm happy with as i was in a lot of pain for those last 10 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The times are all over the place so give them a couple of days to hopefully sort it out.

The time for 10k is actually the 5 mile time on my results so grain of salt on those figures. Take your garmin time for now and when they put the video pieces up later, you'll see the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chinguetti wrote: »
    The times are all over the place so give them a couple of days to hopefully sort it out.

The time for 10k is actually the 5 mile time on my results so grain of salt on those figures. Take your garmin time for now and when they put the video pieces up later, you'll see the difference.

Yes there was no mat at 10k, rather 5 miles.
    That split is indicated as 5 miles on the TDS Live site where the information is much more accurate than the DCM site.

4 24 was hopping for sub 4 but made some silly mistakes like forgot to do any stretches or warm up so legs were stiff throughout :) Felt way too fresh at the end also which was annoying. First one done. Time to beat in probably Cork at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Nules10 wrote: »
    Ahh well done Dave. We did it. Hope you are recovering nicely this morning. wasn't too long in behind you well a good 10 mins it was. See you next year ;)

Nules, I think I will have to do it next year. Looking back now I am delighted that I finished jesus I am so sore this morning can hardly walk. I have never heard support like that before. Week off and then try to get back at it hoping to do the Waterford half on 10th December. What a amazing day but I can do better.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

I got my target of sub 4 - 3.43. Ran with a friend who kept me going. Ignored advice and changed my running habit by taking gels - felt like puking for the last 10 miles and had a really bad cramp - really regret those gels now should have stuck to the lucozade. Could hardly drink anything for last 10 miles for fear of getting sick! :-o

as a result, I have about 20 highfive gels I'm giving away if anyone wants them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Absolutley great day yesterday. The crowds were amazing, and really enjoyed the whole atmosphere, makes you proud to be Irish. Was hoping for five hours, finished in 4hr53 and felt great for most of it, except for a while around mile 16. (seeing ken doherty, and giving him a holler, ha ha,:) and then the amazing crowd at terenure gave me a lift.)
    Second half time was six minutes quicker than first, and the last four or five were my probably my fastest mles.

Thanks again RayCun, Mr Slow and everyone else for all the adive along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

rom wrote: »
    4 24 was hopping for sub 4 but made some silly mistakes like forgot to do any stretches or warm up so legs were stiff throughout :) Felt way too fresh at the end also which was annoying. First one done. Time to beat in probably Cork at this stage.

Well done rom the same as you I felt I had a bit left in the legs when I finished probably could have run another 200 yards:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Oh my God , what a fantastic day i had yesterday!!:pac::pac::pac:
    Was unsure whether to go for sub 4.15 or 4 hr but ended up in the 4 hr group with mates.Could see the black baloons in distance but thought nah dont think i will be doing that
    Started off nice and comfy - could not believe i did my first 10 k in 41 min!!It def was the support of the crowd who made me feel no pain - they were fantastic!!
    i could see the balloons barely so wasnt sure if i would make the sub 4 but looking at the pacer on my wrist i was ahead a min.Then leaveing Phoenix park and on to Terenure i have to say that never met such a fantastic crowd - they were brilliant!!!:)Loved having Santy beside me and runnig under the flyover bridge with crowd - such craic hahaha!!!
    At about mile 17 looked up and before i knew it i was jst right behind the 4 hr pacers - they were excellent.One of the guys with the a northern accent was brill giving a commentary of what to expect with the course and fair play to another pacer who i would say was getting tired but was full steam ahead.
    Suddenly after heartbreak hill, got this sudden energy and passed out 4 hr pacers and it was all down hill into twn but by god at mile 23 i started to feel pain in my right calf - aahhh!!I was saying to my leg "Dont give up on me now""!!I understand now when people say in races that physically their body is dead but their brain is on a drug because that was me the last 3 miles!!
    Again the crowd kept me going.That last .2 of mile at very end was a killer!!!!I could hear some poor soul at that stage screaming with pain and when i looked to my left i saw this poor man nearly about to collapse crying with pain so with any energy i had within i tried to scream at him to keep going.Hope to God he got over that finish line ok
    Then the finish was in sight - jst belted home with any energy i had and got over the line in 3 hrs 52 19 !!! God did some amount of swear words come out of my mouth at that stage:pac::pac:
    So happy with how i got on seeing as i only started training properly in sept but it was the long runs, weight loss, doing hot yoga for stamina and most importanly the crowd on the day who hepled me
    Thnaks again to Ray and others on this thread who helped - will see ye again this time next year:)

Advertisement