Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Had a great day also. Targetted 4 hours to finish, so I kept those black balloons in sight the whole way around. Got a bit worried going through the park as they were about 500m ahead of me and I though I was losing them. Got to within 20m of them by about mile 16, but then I needed a quick pitstop and fell back to about 100m behind. Pretty much stayed that way until the end where I managed a bit of a finish, but then almost made a balls of things when I slowed right down to get out of the group I was with to make sure I got a good photo crossing the line :D
    The couple of miles from Ashtons in Clonskeagh to the top of Foster's avenue were the worst for me but the thoughts of meeting my own personal cheerleaders down on Shelbourne road kept me going.
    The pacers did a great job, spot on I reckon. I shook hands with Meno at the end, but I'm not sure I was able to say anything intelligible :rolleyes:. Then a quick walk home and out trick or treating with the kids kept the legs from stiffening up too much.
    Timewise, I just managed to scrape in under my target with 12 seconds to spare, which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

At about mile 17 looked up and before i knew it i was jst right behind the 4 hr pacers - they were excellent.One of the guys with the a northern accent was brill giving a commentary of what to expect with the course a

That was me I guess, Glad we could be of service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

3:42. Delighted with it. Was going to take on 3.30 but i'm glad i didnt.
    that was plenty hard enough for now. great day. because i went straight to the pub yesterday instead of stretching, my legs are nataurally a bit tight but you only have one first marathon. I'm going to go on the piss now for the week. lol.

Ah the morning after.

And my first thought is...when and where's the next one!

Would love to do Cork next year. Special city. But heard it's tough.

Think I'll look out for 10km runs and half marathons over the winter, would be a shame to let all this fitness go to waste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 gavyd

Thanks to all for the advice on this thread, I managed a 4.23 and was aiming for anything under 4.30...

the unfortunate side of things... Im misshing some toenails (& didn't notice until i got home)... yuck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ger664 wrote: »
    This has to go to Kit3

She was with the 5 hour pacers all the way to 21 where she fell behind. I remember trying to get her to stay with us @ mile 21 but to no avail. Thought she had cook her race and was 5:15 ish, Imagine my surprise to turn around at the finish and see here push out for a sub 5:00 (with some help).

"with some help" is the major part here ! Amazing work by the sub 5 pacers - especially Ger664 - as he said, he looked around to do a final sweep, spotted me and shouted me to the finish counting down the seconds - I think it's the only speed work I've ever done :eek: I can't thank you enough - chip time 4:59:43 :D

Really enjoyed the day - support was incredible all the way around. Great to run with company - all pacers were great. I managed to stay with them until mile 21 but had to let them go at that stage and just put the head down and do my own thing. Could still see the balloons in the distance. Seemed to settle into a faster pace at about mile 24 and just went for it. Amazing experience - will definately be back next year.

Thanks again to the pacers and everyone on here for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Marathon2011

Well I finished too!! Just over 5 hours but was ok with that even if I was at the 20 mile mark 6 minutes slower than on my training run . . . I really struggled from mile 13 to 19.5. That's where I bumped into the last man of the 5 hour pacers. His balloon had given up but he hadn't. So I started to run with him. Ok so I didnt make it under the 5 but without him I would have continued the awful walk running I had started at mile 13. I ran the last 6ish miles faster then the previous 6!

So a big thank you to him, if anyone knows who he is pass it on

Other than my head giving up a bit I think I enjoyed it and there might be another one in my future which will most defo be sub 5!!!

It's also incredible the lift the support gives you. If I don't run next year I'll be out cheering.

Oh and final thought, the crowd that had been at a party and spilled out on the street with their signs

"run total stranger run"
    " worst parade ever"

Class

Well I finished too!! Just over 5 hours but was ok with that even if I was at the 20 mile mark 6 minutes slower than on my training run . . . I really struggled from mile 13 to 19.5. That's where I bumped into the last man of the 5 hour pacers. His balloon had given up but he hadn't. So I started to run with him. Ok so I didnt make it under the 5 but without him I would have continued the awful walk running I had started at mile 13. I ran the last 6ish miles faster then the previous 6!

Other than my head giving up a bit I think I enjoyed it and there might be another one in my future which will most defo be sub 5!!!

It's also incredible the lift the support gives you. If I don't run next year I'll be out cheering.

Oh and final thought, the crowd that had been at a party and spilled out on the street with their signs

"run total stranger run"
    " worst parade ever"

Class

that was along the north circular. there was a few all nighters that spilled out on the streets along there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

shivDCM wrote: »
    that was along the north circular. there was a few all nighters that spilled out on the streets along there.

Typical dirty northsiders. You'd think they'd at least have a wash.

. That's where I bumped into the last man of the 5 hour pacers. His balloon had given up but he hadn't. So I started to run with him. Ok so I didnt make it under the 5 but without him I would have continued the awful walk running I had started at mile 13. I ran the last 6ish miles faster then the previous 6!

That was Ger664 - hero of the day it seems :)

• Advertisement

Typical dirty northsiders. You'd think they'd at least have a wash.
    At least they where out cheering.
    Sure when I was over the posh south side in crumlin and some kids where kicking water bottles back out onto the road. Some bloke told them to stop and he was told fcuk off and had a bottle thrun at him. :pac:

At least they where out cheering.
    Sure when I was over the posh south side in crumlin and some kids where kicking water bottles back out onto the road. Some bloke told them to stop and he was told fcuk off and had a bottle thrun at him. :pac:

Had a few stones thrown at us by kids around Dolphin's barn !

Laugh of the day for me was coming up Pearse St when a little girl shouted "run like you've robbed something" !

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Ger664 was the hero of the day - I second that! Had a brilliant day, not a brilliant time, but i'll be back next year :). Stupidly stopped off at the portaloos at 8 miles and struggled to catch back up with the pace group, no idea this would throw me so much. The girl with the Kenyan poster was brilliant, how did she manage to pop up so many times. Just watched the video of me crossing the finish line, i look like i couldnt run another step!! Thanks to all on the thread, what a day and roll on next year!! My t shirt said 'I'll get there eventually...' and i did... :)

So Ger664 thank you!

I was the girl is blue you picked up , I'm normally the chatty type, think I muttered something about hills and put my head back down!

I also had the little girl telling me to run like I stole something, good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

One of them flashed his bum at us!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

Big thank you to the 5 hour pacers.

Two Johns and Ger.

I had said at the start that my boyfriend would be waiting for me at mile 21 (fosters avenue / n11 ) and that if I stayed with them until then he would cheer me on.

I was ahead of them until mile 18 and out of the blue I hear john say "Come on, stay with us, your boyfriend is waiting for you just around the corner!"

Jesus my little heart was about to burst, I tried my level best to keep up but that bloody hill at mile 20 floored me.

I felt awful as i was 4/5 mins behind the 5 hour pacers then and couldnt spot the boyfriend - had thought he might have thought he missed me and i had already passed.
    At this point it started to LASH rain but I saw him!

He had brought a hat and a gel and water and a big hug!
    Told him about the sore groin and he even streched me getting himself soaked in the process :)

Tried my best to run as long as I could, over the flyover and across nutley lane but as soon as I hit pembroke road i was shivering and couldnt feel my hands.

Amazing run.

Big thanks again to the 5 hour pacers.
    Great lads!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

What a day!! Amazing experience. Toughest thing I've ever done but also the most memorable. The crowds were unbelievable. Nothing like the feeling of passing Trinity College and Nassau St and hearing the roars. Had a great race. Started just behind the 4 hour pacers and kept with them until after about halfway point. Thanks Menescemo for your help and all the other 4hr pacers too. Got ahead of them about 14 or 15 miles I guess and pushed on a bit. Really tough but was delighted with 3:55. Negative split of about 4 mins. Maybe I should have started a bit faster but feel like I did what I had planned for my first marathon. Nice time to beat for the next one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

What a day yesterday! Had a plan A time of 4:15 and a plan B of 4:30, came in at 4:22 so am delighted. I stopped to say hi to the family at halfway house just before halfway mark and never recovered. Was going really well up to then but after that stop my left leg kept cramping. Tried to stretch it out but just wasn't working. Then at about mile 16 my knee went, never had any trouble with my knees before, it was awful! Was looking forward to the downhill part until I realised that was even worse on my knee!!! Nearly gave in while on the dual carriageway but HTFU kept coming into my head so although I walked parts I pushed on. Husband surprised me at UCD & then again at RDS, really gave the boost I needed also got talking to a lovely lady who dragged me along for awhile, hope she did well and thank you. A guy called Charlie egged lots of us on and matched me up with another lady called Liz from Tipp who was marvellous, she was my saviour over the last 3 miles-thank you Liz!

So I'm sore but thrilled. Here's to next year.....

Oh have to say hi to Aoife who I got to spend 7 great miles with. I lost u at the water station, slowed and ran backwards til I thought u must have gone ahead. Well done on your time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

what a day and what an experience!

Jumped in with the four hour pacers and said hello to meno before the off.
    Started off ok with a pennys cardigan that i bought for €3 (job) and quicky got rid of that at o connnel street at which point i was already sweating buckets. was not very comfortable from the very start and felt i was trying way too hard to stay with the pace. only point i felt i was easing out was in the park around 6 miles or so but this didnt last really. had a small chat with Oisin around 10k seemed like a nice lad and over heard him talking about a 100miler he did recently:eek:. Found myself beside meno at 11 at which point i was struggling a bit and he said to dig deep ( didnt think i was going to have to do this till much later on!!!). Crowds were incredible around 15mile and gave a boost for me to keep diggin in. had another small chat about shoes with meno around here aswell i think and finally decided to throw away my new running belt as it was wrecking my head (€15 ill never see again. really got to switch to the smaller gels as the iso's are way too big). Details get hazy from there really. i was mentaly prepared for miles 18 to 21 as i had been warned before we set off so i said to myself to just get through here and you can see how you are then. I thought the hills were over untill we turned a corner and there was this monster (at the time it looked like patricks hill in cork!) I put the head down untill we were up at which point i was around 50 yards or so behind the 4:00 hour pacers. So as we started going down that big hill at ~ 22 miles i tried to run hard and my poor ol quads nearly burst. I thought my right one was gonna cramp but it didnt. There was bodies everywhere at this point stretching etc and i very nearly joined them on numerous occasions. @ 23 i was struggling big time and my garmin read 9:24 for the previous mile. The Black balloons were slowly but surely drifting off and there was nothing i could do to haul them in. 24 25 and 26 were so painfull and i struggled to maintain 10 minute miles (LSR pace for me) The crowds at the end were just brilliant incredible turn out. That little bridge at around 25.5 while very small seemed like such a challlenge) and i managed to up the pace (very slightly :o ) for the last .2 . the legs were gone! Chip time was 4:03:38 but to be honest i was proud as punch as i know how easily it could have been 4:30. Met meno soon after and thanked him. (thanks again)

Got drenched within 2-3 minutes of finishing and was freezing. Found the gf who had my change of cloths just in time as i was blue and had no money. wandered around looking for the pub but found an o briens and substitued a pint for a sugary tea. (hard man!) Decided i needed a shower so headed straight for the hotel. Sorry i didnt get to buy Ray and Mr slow a pint. I will get to ye again!

overall delighted and really proud of myself.

a big thanks to all the advice and help given out on these pages over the last few months! Heres to a well deserved week off! Looking forward to my next (Cork probably next year) and hopefully Dublin too. Next race for me is clonakilty half in december.

Well done to everyone yesterday!! its been great reading all your race reports. I hope we'll be logging together again in the "improvers" thread next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Inspirational stuff, folks... hoping to do my first one next year! Reading the comments above just make me want to do it even more. :)

• Advertisement

Well done bob, you must have really dug in because you were looking ropey at about mile 15. To Only drop 3-4 minutes shows a lot of guts.

Nice shoes BTW. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done bob, you must have really dug in because you were looking ropey at about mile 15. To Only drop 3-4 minutes shows a lot of guts.

Nice shoes BTW. ;)

cheers meno!

I must admit it took my mind off things for a few moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Cutex wrote: »
    What a day yesterday! Had a plan A time of 4:15 and a plan B of 4:30, came in at 4:22 so am delighted. I stopped to say hi to the family at halfway house just before halfway mark and never recovered. Was going really well up to then but after that stop my left leg kept cramping. Tried to stretch it out but just wasn't working. Then at about mile 16 my knee went, never had any trouble with my knees before, it was awful! Was looking forward to the downhill part until I realised that was even worse on my knee!!! Nearly gave in while on the dual carriageway but HTFU kept coming into my head so although I walked parts I pushed on. Husband surprised me at UCD & then again at RDS, really gave the boost I needed also got talking to a lovely lady who dragged me along for awhile, hope she did well and thank you. A guy called Charlie egged lots of us on and matched me up with another lady called Liz from Tipp who was marvellous, she was my saviour over the last 3 miles-thank you Liz!

So I'm sore but thrilled. Here's to next year.....

Oh have to say hi to Aoife who I got to spend 7 great miles with. I lost u at the water station, slowed and ran backwards til I thought u must have gone ahead. Well done on your time:D

Yes, saw you up ahead after the water station but didn't have it in me at the time to try to catch up! Was great talking to you up until then, made the distance fly by.

Very well done on your time too, Lynn! Hope you enjoyed your pizza ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

In work, about to get really busy and my left leg does not work - d'oh!

:)

Note: My Garmin was started as I went over the mat and run as I do every time, said at the end said a time 5 minutes slower than chip time? I will take the chip time, no bother, but I dont understand why that would happen?

I timed myself and found the same, brought me under 4.15 so i'll take it. I know 2 other that found there official times better aswell.

NeverHappy wrote: »
    I timed myself and found the same, brought me under 4.15 so i'll take it. I know 2 other that found there official times better aswell.

The offical times are about 5 minutes better if you started a wave ahead of where you were supposed to ;)

"run total stranger run"
    " worst parade ever"

Class

I thought the "chuck norris never ran a marathon" was great and he moved around as I saw him twice....thanks for all the support

This is probably very stupid question, can we put it down to oxygen deprivation ?

What does the rank M/W mean on the TDS results mean. Is it man woman?

great day with amazing support. I ran throught terenure with the guy in a borat mankini, the crowd loved him and were so loud I was afraid to slow down.

I came in at just under 4.15. I was hoping for 4 but gives me a target for next year. Ran with the 4hr pacers, behind a huge group of them I might add. They were spot on, getting me to the mile markers within 2 seconds of the projected time. Great job by them.

Felt great coming throught the park but a bit worried about my HR. For my LSR's and 1/2 marathon it averaged about 148. From the off it never went below 170, hitting 180 on hills. By our ladys hospital I was struggling. I had to walk when I felt dizzy. got worried at that point. can't figure out why /i struggled. Trained well and that distance was covered many times at the same if not faster times.

Made it ok to the 13m marker and ran from water station to water station after that. Walked up to Fosters ave, that hill.....

Was disappointed that I had to walk at all considering I did 20m in 3.05 handy enough. Happy that I got around in one piece though and flew the last 200 metres. Stairs are not my friend at the moment and I learned a few lessons for next year. i.e. bring a towel and full change of clothes and a small umbrella even

Entries online already for next year....

I'll be there but will wait for the race series to enroll

Thanks to all here and on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What does the rank M/W mean on the TDS results mean. Is it man woman?

Yes, and then the category is Male Senior (18-40), Female Senior, Male 40, Female 40, Male 45...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Delighted with my first marathon as I came in just under 4 hours, kept with the 4hr pacers all the way and it really kept me focused. They were spot on timewise. The black balloon thumped me on the head a few times! Nearly lost them at the last mile but managed to get enough energy to get a wee sprint to the finish line. Also, thx meno for the water bottle after I missed one of the stops! Really great day, great support and a big thanks to the pacers for making it a sub 4 as I don't think I would have done it on my own!

Advertisement