Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rename forums

Options
  • 23-04-2011 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the correct forum for this. The irony.

Anyway.

Two sets of forums I think a lot of posters get mixed up.

'Animals & Pet Issues' and 'Nature & Bird Watching'.

I've followed both forums for a few years and I at least have an idea in my head of what's appropriate for each.

For 'Animals & Pet Issues' its things like dogs, cats, all your types of pets. Where to get groomers, were to talk about rescues and lost pets. The forum regulars are a wealth of knowledge about pets, things like vets, where to buy accessories etc. etc.

'Nature & Bird Watching' is about wild animals. Things like foxes and badgers, stuff about insects and birds etc.

So when I see a thread about 'omg i just found this spider in my cereal' it really really annoys me when it lands in 'Animals & Pet Issues'. Yes a spider is an animal, but no this thread doesn't belong there. No offence to the forum frequenters, but they actually don't have much of a clue about this stuff.

No on the other hand, let's say you had a pet tarantula, you definitely want to be the 'Animals & Pet Issues' forum. The forum regulars in Nature and Birdwatching know a heck of a lot about wildlife etc. but probably not the people to ask about pet stuff.

2nd set.

'Health &Fitness' and 'Health Sciences

Again, these are two forums I frequent but more recently, I've got confused about which content is appropriate for which.

Here is a thread about Low Blood Pressure http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056247660 which I don't think would have ever fitted in the 'Health & Fitness' forum when it was just called 'Fitness'. I still don't think it fits in there.

So basically my feedback is there are 2 sets of similar named forums that should be better defined. Perusal of all the forum charters does not yield good definitions of what the forums are about and what their not. But my personal experience indicates they do have separate agendas except occasional people put threads in the wrong forum.

What I want from this thread is:

Acknowledgement I have a concern.
    A show of support or alternatively, people telling me I'm on my own here.
    A response from mods from the forums giving their opinion on my take on things.

And from there address whether forums need to be renamed or charters adjusted or more vigilant thread moving.

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

By their names, the first two seem very obviously to be about what you've described for each (although I don't know that I've ever visited either forum).

I don't really know what 'Health Sciences' is supposed to mean or what topics it covers that are not covered by, say, 'Nutrition and Diet', 'Biology' and the aforementioned 'Health and Fitness'.

Ten seconds reading the charter just now made it fairly clear, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The best way to centralise this is if you contact the mods directly.

Have a discussion with them, they may want to discuss it with other members of the forum, but ultimately, it is their decision.

Advertisement