Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fodder Advice - buying hay and getting it wrapped?!!

• 23-04-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Looking for experience/views on the following?

This year im thinking of not making as much silage/haylage because i think when alls taken into account there is very little difference in price making your own where i live. Also i would use opportunity of extra grass to reseed:):)

What im suggesting is sourcing good quality round bales and transporting them to land and getting local guy to wrap them and i can position them where i want them and not touch them again til feeding time (i outwinter sucklers). What is best brand of plastic that i should get for wrapping hay and how many bales/ wraps per roll approx?

Or am i mad to do this?

Many thanks in advance.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

have you worked out the cost of a kg of dmd of both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

stanflt wrote: »
    have you worked out the cost of a kg of dmd of both

Hi Stanflt,

No i havent worked out that costing, just when i make our own we wilt it well and shake twice so that its nearly hay and of higher DMD content than silage but i have no tests to compare etc Just know in my head how many bales of haylage i need to feed them well for the winter without any ration to compliment diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

Bodacious wrote: »
    Hi Stanflt,

No i havent worked out that costing, just when i make our own we wilt it well and shake twice so that its nearly hay and of higher DMD content than silage but i have no tests to compare etc Just know in my head how many bales of haylage i need to feed them well for the winter without any ration to compliment diet

just an opinion that i base my winter feeding on
    i dont cut really strong cuts of grass-aim for 3-4cuts of silage a year

i wouldnt expect my animals to eat in the winter what they wouldnt eat in the summer- imo hay is only suitable for cows before they calve and for calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

stanflt wrote: »
    just an opinion that i base my winter feeding on
    i dont cut really strong cuts of grass-aim for 3-4cuts of silage a year

i wouldnt expect my animals to eat in the winter what they wouldnt eat in the summer- imo hay is only suitable for cows before they calve and for calves
    the farmers years ago fed all their cattle hay all winter.

Advertisement