Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockatiel screeching- normal?

• 23-04-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hi, ive had a male cockatiel for over a year now. his screaming is beginning to drive me insane. he used to do it only when he was left in the room alone but now even if im in with him (usually someone is) he just keeps screaming! we have been completely ignoring him when he does it and giving him attention when he is singing, chirping or quiet. it doesnt seem to be working. when it gets dark he stays quiet and he never makes noise during the night. His cage is kept clean and he always has food and water. ive noticed that certain noises set him off like particular songs on the radio, crows, sirens etc. is there anyway i can make him stop? i read that covering the cage works but im afaraid if i do this he will start making noise at night when covered. are all cockatiels this loud ( i dont mind him making noise but his screams are ear-pearcing!). i hope he wont keep doing this as i really love him!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/screaming.html

I personally find it cruel to keep sociable animals alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

We had one years back and as our lives got busier, he was left on his own.We ended up giving him to a friend that we knew would be at home with kids most of the time.We just felt it was cruel to leave him there by himself.

Cockatiel's are very sensitive and can get depressed if they're by themselves for long periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A cockatiel will be quiet when it's dark regardless of whether his cage is covered during the day. But to be honest that's not the answer. First I'd get him checked out by an experienced vet tiels don't generally screech non stop, they will call out maybe once or twice a day like that but they don't go on and on.
    Where is his cage placed at the moment, if he's in an area where people are passing by all the time that can help.
    Have the vet make sure there's nothing physically wrong with him first though.

If he's fine then it might be an idea to get him another tiel as a friend, not another breed of bird though he's best off with one of his own kind.
    If anything physical has been ruled out then he's probably very lonley normally they are happy enough with watching comings and going etc. but some need more attention than others.

Is he ever allowed out of his cage? How big is the actual cage?
    Is he a nervous bird does he get spooked easily?

There's also dvds you can get for them on the website 'northern parrots' they can keep them amused for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 R.M.

thanks for the replies. he is allowed out of his cage every day but only actualy comes out about 3 times a week. the cage is quite big. he is hardly ever left alone, i have quite a big family and there is almost always someone in the same room as him. he gets freaked out really easily. i think the birds outside are whats scaring him. might think about moving his cage....

Advertisement