Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memory Issue - C Drive

• 24-04-2011 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

I have only 278MB left in drive C and I have a massive 62GB left in drive D .

Recently I use youtube download converter , and dont have enough space to convert .

Is it possible for me to browse the internet using drive D ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think what you need to understand is that the hard drive has been "partitioned" to look as separate storage devices.

You can manually copy over larger files to the D: drive if you wanted, just that C: is usually reserved for the operating system files.

So, in short, yes you can copy files over to your D drive and convert away. The drives won't have any bearing on your internet speed although would have a bearing on overall responsiveness (boot up times, application speeds, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

chin_grin wrote: »
    I think what you need to understand is that the hard drive has been "partitioned" to look as separate storage devices.

You can manually copy over larger files to the D: drive if you wanted, just that C: is usually reserved for the operating system files.

So, in short, yes you can copy files over to your D drive and convert away. The drives won't have any bearing on your internet speed although would have a bearing on overall responsiveness (boot up times, application speeds, etc).

No - when I convert a you tube song it don't give me the option to convert in D: drive .

It automatically converts to C: drive and of course it can then be saved on any drive of your choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

No - when I convert a you tube song it don't give me the option to convert in D: drive .

It automatically converts to C: drive

Which was not my point. :rolleyes:

You need to manually copy and paste music\movies\pics\docs\anything that's taking up space from your C: drive to your D: drive. Just create a new folder and put it in there (cut actually don't copy).

So that will free up space on your C so you can use the converter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Make a music , data, video folder on drive e and copy data from c into it.
    Windows os itself takes less than ten gig.Depending on the os,eg xp ,windows 7.Games like cod4 take up 2gig or more drive space,for just 1 game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

If you have Vista or windows 7, another alternative would be to increase the size of your C: drive by basically using space from the D: drive;

http://www.petri.co.il/extend-disk-partition-vista-windows-server-2008.htm

If you have Xp, you'll most likely need a third party software to do this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Thanks lads ,
    I have moved a lot of data / files etc to the Ddrive .

Lots of rubbish in there too .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommy89

johnnybmac wrote: »
    If you have Vista or windows 7, another alternative would be to increase the size of your C: drive by basically using space from the D: drive;

http://www.petri.co.il/extend-disk-partition-vista-windows-server-2008.htm

If you have Xp, you'll most likely need a third party software to do this...

hi I tried this and i got to the extend volume stage but when i right click on the c drive i cannot click extend volume.. im using vista by the way

any help would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Run ccleaner, bet there's lots of crap to be got rid of freeing up more space:
    http://leetstreet.net/blog/2011/05/ccleaner-2/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use treesize or spacemonger or sequoiaview to find out where the big files are

you could also move swap file to D:

check add/remove programs to see if there is anything big you don't use any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

tommy89 wrote: »
    hi I tried this and i got to the extend volume stage but when i right click on the c drive i cannot click extend volume.. im using vista by the way

any help would be appreciated

I'm not sure about this, (its been a while since i did this) but, maybe you could try shrinking the D drive by a few gigs and try to expand the C drive into the free space created. I'm not sure if this is possible in that order, actually, i think it might not be, but worth a try none the less...

Edit: If you have nothing of value on the D drive you could delete it in disk management and then try extending C:

• Advertisement
Advertisement