Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carry on Luggage

• 24-04-2011 12:07am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

One of the problems with being a Photographer and traveling is that most of your gear cannot be trusted with the booked in baggage, but there is only a small limit of Carry-on you are allowed.

I have just seen a recent model of a Photographers Vest where there are poctets for Lenses, Batteries etc. So if you are wearing your gear it shouldn't be included with your carry-on allowance. They don't weigh things like watches, wallets, jewelry etc. when worn.

Is this a loophole or has it already been closed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I've put lenses in my pockets (24-105mm etc) To save on space in carry on. Got some funny looks from the security, but no problems with it, and popped them into the cases once i'd gotten all of my bags at the destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Try to walk on to a plane with your pockets full of electronics and you are likely to end your life in a controlled explosion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's a well used loophole. I've used it many times, when in need. Just flew to the US today, but was able to put all my camera gear in my carry-on bag.

But, you're right, you can put the stuff in your pockets and there is no issue at all. You have to take your jacket off and put it through the scanner anyway. No security issue. It's purely an airline weight/baggage issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

i have worn my camera around my neck getting on to planes (including a certain irish budget airline) without any problems. I also recently got myself a scottevest jacket with i can comfortably stuff in a small lens or two and even an ipad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm using a Scottevest jacket and it's brilliant for carrying stuff on you. Mine is so big that I can fit a full size DSLR body + lenses into the pocket, as well as a phone, ipod, flash gun....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

swingking wrote: »
    I'm using a Scottevest jacket and it's brilliant for carrying stuff on you. Mine is so big that I can fit a full size DSLR body + lenses into the pocket, as well as a phone, ipod, flash gun....

I have both the Fleece and the Travel Jacket. Both are excellent. The shorts are great too.

Aidan

Advertisement